• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writer of Final Fantasy VII is the writer of Subspace Emissary!

Chojo

Smash Cadet
In volume 4 of Iwata asks, here is an excerpt of their conversation:

"Sakurai:
At that point, I decided to ask Kazushige Nojima-san to help us since he had composed the scenarios for titles like Final Fantasy VII.

Iwata:
Wow, asking the person who crafted scenarios for Final Fantasy to write one for Smash Bros. is a pretty big deal.
"

source: http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol4_page2.jsp (SCROLL DOWN!)

Pretty interesting huh? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Discuss.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Giant Evil Meteor of Death confirmed for Brawl!

also Cait Sith

SPOILER: Sephiroth is DAVID BOWIE

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
no wonder the story is looking so epic.

but I laugh at the original idea where the characters get off a bus with Snake spying on them.

makes me think of the corny SSB commercial.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Ew. His work is terrible.

This has to be the biggest thing that I'm disappointed with Sakurai. He can put terrible characters like Ness or Sonic in all he wants but this crosses the line.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
You're all expecting too much.

Again. You people are expecting too much. Way. Too. Much.

Nevermind you're flat out lying and the writer of the most overrated Final Fantasy is not the "writer" of SSE. He's "helping."

There's probably going to be zero talking, lots of "omg fanboy overload" team ups (Samus and Pikachu already confirmed, lol), and random freaking enemies and some memorable bosses. This game is taking the vein of a side-scroller beat em up. We're not walking from town to town talking to people or fumbling through a turn-based menu system using X-Summon on Knights of the Round.

You're not getting a real story here with social and political commentary, complex narratives, overwhelming character development, existential themes, historical art deco, or any other big storyline/design concepts that have come around in the past 10 years of gaming. This is freaking Nintendo we're talking about.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
Nevermind you're flat out lying and the writer of the most overrated Final Fantasy is not the "writer" of SSE. He's "helping."
Lying? Do you know what lying means? Do I need to take out a dictionary for you?

First of all, Sakurai makes it CLEAR that he requested him to write a story; the bus draft was obviously done just by Kazushige Nojima.

Then he says that they started working together.

Well, use common sense, KaiserX and Darkfur. Please. Who's going to be doing the majority of the work? Will it be the person that has the most experience with stories or the person with the least? =___=. Credit usually goes primarily to those who contribute the most. For example, there may have been other people that helped to formulate the ideas for Brawl, but we give most credit to Sakurai. That's why we attribute Sakurai with making the game, and how we don't get ANAL about it like some people in this thread and say "OH, Sakurai only HELPED make brawl".

Don't be stubborn, guys. We know the story isn't going to be as lavish as Final Fantasy's, but that wasn't even the point of my post.

Smarten up.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Lol shutup.
The SSE looks great so making that statement of yours is unwarranted.
Yeah, it does.

But that doesn't dodge the fact that he worked on bad games like Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy VII with the scenarios. This is a disgrace to gaming as a whole tbh, especially considering Smash should be epic while the games he worked on do not warrant as epic other than Bahamut Lagoon, in which he's the director instead of a scenario writer and shows he does a better job at being a director rather than his scenario work with Final Fantasy VII and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
Lying? How old are you? Do I need to take out a dictionary for you?

First of all, Sakurai makes it CLEAR that he requested him to write a story; the bus draft was obviously done just by Kazushige Nojima.

Well, use common sense, KaiserX and Darkfur. Please. Who's going to be doing the majority of the work? Will it be the person that has the most experience with stories or the person with the least? =___=. Credit usually goes primarily to those who contribute the most. For example, there may have been other people that helped to formulate the ideas for Brawl, but we give most credit to Sakurai. That's why we attribute Sakurai with making the game, and how we don't get ANAL about it like some people in this thread and say "OH, Sakurai only HELPED make brawl".

If you guys still aren't convinced, then ask yourself this question: Would they hire someone that worked on such big name titles like FFVII just so they could "help" and give them an idea or two? Can your brains answer that question?

Don't be stubborn, guys. We know the story isn't going to be as lavish as Final Fantasy's, but that wasn't even the point of my post.

Smarten up.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
A bit late to say so, but doesn't this belong in the topic about 'Iwata Asks Vol 4 out'

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
You're all expecting too much.

Again. You people are expecting too much. Way. Too. Much.

There's probably going to be zero talking, lots of "omg fanboy overload" team ups (Samus and Pikachu already confirmed, lol), and random freaking enemies and some memorable bosses. This game is taking the vein of a side-scroller beat em up. We're not walking from town to town talking to people or fumbling through a turn-based menu system using X-Summon on Knights of the Round.

You're not getting a real story here with social and political commentary, complex narratives, overwhelming character development, existential themes, historical art deco, or any other big storyline/design concepts that have come around in the past 10 years of gaming. This is freaking Nintendo we're talking about.
I think you're missing the point. No one was ever expecting noble prize winning stuff, but the story is still looking to be really entertaining. Plus, those "fanboy overload teamup" you're down playing are not only one of the reasons people are look forward to the SSE, but one of the main appeals of Smash in general.;)

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
All I was saying is that you are misleading people with your post. Say what you mean.

Sakurai obviously had a great deal of influence while they worked together. At least thats what can be derived on that article, and obviously, as the game designer, he should have. Thats why he should be given a lot of credit there.

There is no shame in this. It's impressive either way, I was just saying your post was misleading.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Lying? Do you know what lying means? Do I need to take out a dictionary for you?
You said "the writer." Not "scenario consultant" or "one of the writers" or even "storyline assistance" but "the writer."

The sole writer. That's quite a stretch. So much of a stretch that I'd make a crude analogy for it if it wouldn't be censored anyway.

So a third-party that entered the design process is going to be the sole or major authority over the person in charge of it in the first place?

I don't think so. Weeaboo emoticons don't really help your case.

Smarten up.
That anyone would call Final Fantasy's story "lavish" is pretty epic comedy in of itself.

My point stands that someone who was whisked into the project isn't going to do the sole work of the project. Do not expect even a "good" story. This is Nintendo. No matter how many times an installment goes by, the concept and writing remains static. Despite additions of Zant and Midna, Twilight Princess boiled down to "Ganondorf's doing some EVIL crap, time to save the day." Despite the addition of "star people" and Rosalina, Mario Galaxy was "Peach kidnapped, Mario saves the day."

I'd rather you guys mark out on "omg possibly 33 stages!" than this. The fact that you'd think a Final Fantasy scenario writer making the story "better" than anyone else who would be writing for the same thing (the side scroller beat-em-up/platformer that SSE is aspiring to be) is fanboyism of the highest caliber.

Plus, those "fanboy overload teamup" you're down playing are not only one of the reasons people are look forward to the SSE, but one of the main appeals of Smash in general
I wasn't downplaying anything. Naturally I've gotta like the teamups if I'm halfway (read: EXTREMELY) interested in Smash in the first place. My point was people are being unrealistic about rosters, stages, and now the freaking SSE on top of it.

Do not expect so much. My job here is to prevent TEARS.

It may sound like I'm insulting the game, the team behind it, and whatnot, but what I'm actually doing it simply SAYING NOT TO GET YOUR HOPES UP, BECAUSE YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Many games that take MORE than 2 years to develop have already accomplished less than Smash but have gotten 9.0+ across the freaking board.

Please, do not hype yourself up so much.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
So we are going to get a crappy story with no character development, and a plot with random crap that they never bother to explain. lol at people still thinking FF7 had a a story above "decent",

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
So we are going to get a crappy story with no character development, and a plot with random crap that they never bother to explain. lol at people still thinking FF7 had a a story above "decent",
But it has angsty college-aged protagonists with large hair...GAME OF THE YEAR.

FF6 was better.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
You said "the writer." Not "scenario consultant" or "one of the writers" or even "storyline assistance" but "the writer."
I admit that the title does make it sound like it's solely his work. But seriously, you have to ease up a little.

But entertain me for a second and pretend everyone else was like you. We couldn't say Sakurai made Brawl anymore. Oh no, that's blasphemy. He only assisted. And when Kobe Bryant scored 80 points in one game? No, he didn't annihalate the other team. He only HELPED annihalate them. He only assisted them.

Is there something bothering you deep inside that makes you nitpick at every little thing?

So a third-party that entered the design process is going to be the sole or major authority over the person in charge of it in the first place?

I don't think so. Weeaboo emoticons don't really help your case.
Apart from avoiding my simple question (only because you know that I will stand correct once you do), you forget that almost everyone working on this project is an outsider. Not necessarily an outside to Nintendo, but it IS a mosaic of different backgrounds, as Sakurai pointed out in volume 1 or 2 of "Iwata Asks". Are you saying the because he is not from Nintendo, his role is completely insignificant?

Listen, when you get assigned to Story Creation, I'm pretty sure that you do the majority of the script writing. I never said he had power over Sakurai; of course, Sakurai ultimately has the creative control over him. But tell me KaiserX, do you honestly(and I mean honestly) think that Sakurai wrote more of the script than Nojima did? Or are you going to avoid this question too, just like the last one? ;)

It may sound like I'm insulting the game, the team behind it, and whatnot, but what I'm actually doing it simply SAYING NOT TO GET YOUR HOPES UP, BECAUSE YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Did I ever say I was hyped up, genius? Here's what I said in my first post:

"Interesting, huh?"

I'm sorry if in your world, that looks more like "OMFG! YES! I'M GOING TO DIE HAPPY!"

I was only pointing out that it was interesting that Sakurai specifically sought out Nojima for the story.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
FF7 had a great story actually. Especially for it's time. It just doesn't seem as good today, since pretty much every plot point has been dissected, picked apart, and parodied over 10 years.
If you actually managed to play through the whole thing the first time back in 1997 (or in my case, 2001-2002), and was unaware about just trying to separate yourself from the fanbase, you would know how incredible FF7's story was for it's time.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
FF7 had a great story actually. Especially for it's time. It just doesn't seem as good today, since pretty much every plot point has been dissected, picked apart, and parodied over 10 years.
If you actually managed to play through the whole thing the first time back in 1997 (or in my case, 2001-2002), and was unaware about just trying to separate yourself from the fanbase, you would know how incredible FF7's story was for it's time.
No, FF7's story was always and still is today bad. It doesn't matter how old it is. The story in FF4 and FF6 are two of the greatest video game stories I've seen and they're both older than FF7, so that argument has no weight at all.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I kinda laughed at the "Bus" draft that he first proposed though. Sounds like he thought that they wanted a completely happy-go-lucky story.

Im glad Sakurai got the point across that it was supposed to be serious...

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I admit that the title does make it sound like it's solely his work. But seriously, you have to ease up a little.
No.

But entertain me for a second and pretend everyone else was like you. We couldn't say Sakurai made Brawl anymore. Oh no, that's blasphemy. He only assisted. And when Kobe Bryant scored 80 points in one game? No, he didn't annihalate the other team. He only HELPED annihalate them. He only assisted them.
Sakurai did assist. It was a joint work with other people. He just happened to lead it and be IN CHARGE of most of it. It took the collective work of everyone, hence why I crapped a brick over your really terrible title that you've yet to edit.

Kobe Bryant needed team work to give him the **** ball in the first place. Amusingly enough, it's his ball-hog mentality that makes him a pain in the *** to play with. Put Kobe against a full team on his own and see what happens.

Is there something bothering you deep inside that makes you nitpick at every little thing?
Yes. People with unrealistic expectations that set themselves up to be disappointed when the ability to simply enjoy the game is right there.

Apart from avoiding my simple question (only because you know that I will stand correct once you do), you forget that almost everyone working on this project is an outsider. Not necessarily an outside to Nintendo, but it IS a mosaic of different backgrounds, as Sakurai pointed out in volume 1 or 2 of "Iwata Asks". Are you saying the because he is not from Nintendo, his role is completely insignificant?
Cut the smugness, please. It's extremely condescending and obnoxious.

I didn't avoid the question, you didn't look into the answer. If it's the question I think it is, I'll attempt to answer a bit more clearly. No, I do not think someone with "more experience" will necessarily do all/most of the product or necessarily hold more ground. If that wasn't the question I might've missed, restate it and I'll address it.

No one said his role was insignficant because he's not from Nintendo. Where the hell did you get that from? By that logic, I'd think Kojima shouldn't have been allowed to design what looks like the coolest of all the stages in the game thus far. I'm all for bringing non-Nintendo people into the project. It eliminates some of the cut and dry elements of their games.

"Mosaic of different backgrounds" is public relation spin talk. If someone's interviewed about a turd of a game (before it's revealed to be a turd), the number one thing when asked about the development team that they like to add is "WE HAVE A VARIETY OF TALENTS" and yadda-yadda-yadda. It's something to give everyone props and it's typically inserted to make the project seem like it holds more creative ground.

To nip any words you might shove in my mouth, no, I do not in any way think Brawl will be a "turd" of a game. It's an anecdotal example. I think I'm going to love Brawl.

Listen, when you get assigned to Story Creation, I'm pretty sure that you do the majority of the script writing. I never said he had power over Sakurai; of course, Sakurai ultimately has the creative control over him. But tell me KaiserX, do you honestly(and I mean honestly) think that Sakurai wrote more of the script than Nojima did? Or are you going to avoid this question too, just like the last one? ;)
Please, once again, stop being smug. It makes you look like an ***. You are not Phoenix Wright or Yagami Light. And I'm not avoiding your question.

That's just my point, though: there's not going to be much of a story here. It's a side-scroller beat-em-up platformer hybrid based around pure fanservice of "OH MY GOD, I AM PLAYING AS ____ AND ____...TOGETHER." It's not a question of who did more, it's that he didn't do it purely alone, making the title completely misleading, and the story isn't going to be anything big, so it's completely irrelevant WHO did it.

"Hey guys, Bowser stole DK's bananas! CLEARLY THIS HAS A REAL LIFE PARALLEL WITH THE RECENT EVENTS OF (controversial topic here)."

The point is, mostly anyone can write it. People need to stop overhyping this stuff.

Did I ever say I was hyped up, genius? Here's what I said in my first post:

"Interesting, huh?"

I'm sorry if in your world, that looks more like "OMFG! YES! I'M GOING TO DIE HAPPY!"
An exclamation mark in your title seems to indicate something.

I was only pointing out that it was interesting that Sakurai specifically sought out Nojima for the story.
You seem pretty excited.

In the event you weren't, my bad, but I'm just as easily addressing anyone that's overhyping this. You're not really special.

Just don't overhype. That's all I ask of anyone.

blayde_axel

Smash Master

This has to be the biggest thing that I'm disappointed with Sakurai. He can put terrible characters like Ness or Sonic in all he wants but this crosses the line.
What? When did Ness get in? He's such a horrible character with no reason to be in... how can they...

Oh...

Anyway, his work isn't horrible. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
What? When did Ness get in?
Sticker leak from a video off the official Wii site. Re-edited after the fact. Lucario and Jigglypuff confirmed in the same leak.

You can probably dig it up on youtube.

EDIT: Nevermind, you've since edited the post to make it appear to be SATIRE omg. My bad.

Vephoma

Smash Rookie
I personally really enjoy Kazushige Nojima's work. Yes, even FF7. (By the way, FF7 is often rank in the top 5 in 'best game ever' lists. Even if you don't like the story, you are still a minority. Sorry.) I shocked my friends today by telling them, "The guy who wrote FF7's story line wrote the story for the new SSB game, and the game director sent the first draft back because it was too kiddie." You should have seen the look on their faces!

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Sticker leak from a video off the official Wii site. Re-edited after the fact. Lucario and Jigglypuff confirmed in the same leak.

You can probably dig it up on youtube.

EDIT: Nevermind, you've since edited the post to make it appear to be SATIRE omg. My bad.
lol. Sorry. Just messing with Luke.

Well, I don't think his work is that bad. I agree with Luke that FFVII's story stunk. But that's just me.

But I actually liked Final Fantasy X-2's. Shoot me.

And I enjoy the story of the Kingdom Hearts series, just not the game itself.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
There will be sex....

in the SSE.

LOLZ CAPTAIN FALCON AND NANA CONFIRMED!

Also, the guy with the biggest sword will be the "hero" and someone will have to play dressup.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I personally really enjoy Kazushige Nojima's work. Yes, even FF7. (By the way, FF7 is often rank in the top 5 in 'best game ever' lists. Even if you don't like the story, you are still a minority. Sorry.)
But see, FF7's length, pacing, and combat system were wonderful. So I wouldn't disagree it was a great RPG on the PSX, one of the best. That doesn't mean I like its story, meaning that regardless of me being the minority, at least I know I have taste. FF6 was leaps and bounds ahead of it, and every human being I've come into contact with that praises FF7 up and down never even played its predecessor. FF7 stands its popularity because the American audience was introduced into the RPG mainstream through it, and its cast was certainly more angsty and "attractive."

I shocked my friends today by telling them, "The guy who wrote FF7's story line wrote the story for the new SSB game, and the game director sent the first draft back because it was too kiddie." You should have seen the look on their faces!
They're gonna feel pretty silly when they realize they see screenshots of the primary antagonist and the various enemies...

It's still kiddy, at least from the source material we have so far. I'm perfectly open to a progression beyond that, but I'm hardly counting on it.

lol. Sorry. Just messing with Luke.

Well, I don't think his work is that bad. I agree with Luke that FFVII's story stunk. But that's just me.

But I actually liked Final Fantasy X-2's. Shoot me.

And I enjoy the story of the Kingdom Hearts series, just not the game itself.
X-2's problem was an overabundance of side quests and a pretty terrible antagonist.

Kingdom Hearts' was that there was no real rhyme or reason to the crossovers beyond "WE SURE LOVE MONEY." At least Super Smash Bros. gives us some respect with the "they're trophies/toys for a disembodied hand!" origin story.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
What? When did Ness get in? He's such a horrible character with no reason to be in... how can they...

Oh...
I agree. Ness, Sonic, and Lucario are all bad characters for Brawl, yet they're still in. Happened in Melee with Dr. Mario, Roy, and Pichu and it's happening in Brawl.
Anyway, his work isn't horrible. But we are all entitled to our opinions.
Then why does every game he works on suck?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

The more that pisses you off, the more it makes me happy! :) Besides, Final FAntasy 1-12 are AMAZING GAMES! As always, no one agrees with you.

This news excites me! Now SOMEONE WILL DIE, MWYHAHAHAHAHA! *prays Pikachu, Pichu, and the PT die at overloard Ridley's hands* :laugh:

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The more that pisses you off, the more it makes me happy! :) Besides, Final FAntasy 1-12 are AMAZING GAMES! As always, no one agrees with you.
The only ones that disagree with me are the same ones who spell Final Fantasy as Final FAntasy, showing that they're illiterate *******. So what's your point?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I agree. Ness, Sonic, and Lucario are all bad characters for Brawl, yet they're still in. Happened in Melee with Dr. Mario, Roy, and Pichu and it's happening in Brawl.

Then why does every game he works on suck?
I was being sarcastic. lol.

But the games sucking are basically your opinion. I enjoyed Final Fantasy, but I didn't care for the story. But me saying that doesn't make it law.

The only ones that disagree with me are the same ones who spell Final Fantasy as Final FAntasy, showing that they're illiterate *******. So what's your point?
Holding the Shift button for too long doesn't make someone illiterate.

Top Bottom