• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writer of Final Fantasy VII is the writer of Subspace Emissary!

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Tingle dies in the subspace emissary... and then Link accidentally destroys the world with his final smash, because nobody pondered the questions due to not having enough time.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only ones that disagree with me are the same ones who spell Final Fantasy as Final FAntasy, showing that they're illiterate *******. So what's your point?
Woaw, I held the shift button. Go kill me. This is coming from the sandman version 2. This is coming from the same guy who said he'd be right all the time (Lucario and Ness pwned your arse), and who CONSTANTLY insults people who wanted any character that was deconfirmed like a pure hatred filled flammer. Seriously, when will you f***ing leave=???

And if Final FAntasy (I'll do that extra "A" just to continue to piss you off) VII sucked so bad, how come it sold over 10 million units worldwide=??? How come the only two series to outsell the Final FAtasy (HAHA, this is fun holding down the Shift button) series sucks so bad, how come only Pokémon and Mario outsell it=??? EXACTLY!

Whatever sells the best usually is the best.

And yae to Tingle dying (hopefully...FOREVER!!!!)! :)

Edit: Holding down the shift button, woaw! Just woaw! That's the dumbest thing since the "well you're gay" comeback. Go back to middle school. :laugh:

Vephoma

Smash Rookie
They're gonna feel pretty silly when they realize they see screenshots of the primary antagonist and the various enemies...

It's still kiddie, at least from the source material we have so far. I'm perfectly open to a progression beyond that, but I'm hardly counting on it.
Nah, I let them know the whole story. I just thought it'd be a funny joke on them. :p

But see, FF7's length, pacing, and combat system were wonderful. So I wouldn't disagree it was a great RPG on the PSX, one of the best.
Actually, that is a very good point. I can see exactly where you are coming from, and I agree. I still feel that I enjoyed the story made a huge impact on me personally, but I respect the opposite opinion.

In the end, FF7 doesn't matter much here: SSBB is a completely different game, with a completely new story line. I seriously doubt the first mission will involve Kirby and Mario blowing up a mako reactor. :D

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I just want to say I was really disappointed to learn of the FF7 guy working on this. I find that to be the most over-rated game of all time and I couldn't finish it. I don't want to offend, I just couldn't stand that game. and hearing this... I just hope no FF/KH characters get in. I already bet someone if Sora is in, I won't buy the game -_-

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just want to say I was really disappointed to learn of the FF7 guy working on this. I find that to be the most over-rated game of all time and I couldn't finish it. I don't want to offend, I just couldn't stand that game. and hearing this... I just hope no FF/KH characters get in. I already bet someone if Sora is in, I won't buy the game -_-
Meah, who cares about Final Fantasy VII, when VI is where it's AT! :grin: Go play that game, ALL OF YOU! I also think the same guy wrote all the number ones (XII was his last I think, as he worked on Blue Dragon). And hopefully we DON'T get Final Fantasy playable characters, but ATs and whatnot would be cool. And hopefully your bet TRC doesn't expand to ATs. :laugh:

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Woaw, I held the shift button. Go kill me. This is coming from the sandman version 2. This is coming from the same guy who said he'd be right all the time (Lucario and Ness pwned your arse), and who CONSTANTLY insults people who wanted any character that was deconfirmed like a pure hatred filled flammer. Seriously, when will you f***ing leave=???

And if Final FAntasy (I'll do that extra "A" just to continue to piss you off) VII sucked so bad, how come it sold over 10 million units worldwide=??? How come the only two series to outsell the Final FAtasy (HAHA, this is fun holding down the Shift button) series sucks so bad, how come only Pokémon and Mario outsell it=??? EXACTLY!

Whatever sells the best usually is the best.

And yae to Tingle dying (hopefully...FOREVER!!!!)! :)

Edit: Holding down the shift button, woaw! Just woaw! That's the dumbest thing since the "well you're gay" comeback. Go back to middle school. :laugh:
Dude.

Copies really don't say anything about someone's personal views about a game's story.

As for higher sales meaning the best...not entirely true. The gaming market had a much bigger break out in the Playstation years because games were appealing to newer generations. FF6 was overlooked.

Not to mention that would place Halo 3 above Half-Life.

Discord002

Smash Rookie
Sephiroth for Brawl! That would be awesome.

Even tho, it would be even greater to get a char like Ultros, Kefka or Locke... FF VI was better than VII without a doubt, but still VII wasnt bad as some of you claim. Ah well.. im still happy about Sonic and Snake, so i really wont complain about any other chars being in our out.

Malius

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I wasn't expecting to much from SSE *STORY WISE*, but having a writer of his caliber in the mix certainly helps in the long run.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Yeesh, all the hate going around. It's going to be an awesome game. I'm fairly sure that bus scene was printed more for comedy than anything else. To the original point The writer did a lot more than just VII, you know. He had some good and some bad, but he's still a great writer. He probably DID write the whole thing after he and Sakurai discussed what exactly he was shooting for. Sakurai knew what he wanted, he just didn't know how to do it in a way that was serious enough. Look at all the writers on FF.Net that fail so hard at giving Smash Brothers a decent story! So there's probably more truth to that than not. Sakurai had the ideas in his head, this guy just took it and wove it into the story Sakurai was looking for.

KaiserX, take a chill pill and stop getting hysterical yourself and flaming every fanboy that comes into town. It's just not worth correcting every single person, when they're not going to listen anyways. People just want to make their own statements regardless of whether or not someone else said it already. I myself am stoked about this because from what I've seen I don't think I'll be disappointed. Sure there's no dialogue, but then here, none is needed.

Bottom line, you have your opinion and everyone else has theirs. Yelling and arguing isn't going to change their minds. I myself enjoyed playing through FFVII, wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst. If you're going to bash truly bad Final Fantasy games, bash Mystic Quest please. All the other games are gems compared to it. Kingdom Hearts I'll def end though! It's a novel idea and I for one enjoyed seeing Disney and Squaresoft collabing, it's something I never thought would work, and I found myself drawn into the stories, even though I've seen the movies countless times. The characters are enjoyable and capture their spirit too. I find it awesome to see Sora struggling to be a hero and balancing that with his childish attitudes through his rivalry with Riku, and incidents like wanting to drive and having a blow-up with Donald. So yeah. now I'm just ranting. Take the games or leave them. If you hate them fine, say it and be done with it in one argument. Don't drag it out or you end up looking like a fool by pushing the issue everytime someone fights back. /endrant

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
HOLY FREAKING...

When I heard this I nearly had a nerdgasm...

I mean, this is the coolest freaking news I've heard in a while. Final Fantasy has always had some awesome, indepth storylines with plenty of plot twists and turns. This game cannot possibly get any better....well, unless FD Link were in it, but thats an entirely different subject.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
HOLY FREAKING...

When I heard this I nearly had a nerdgasm...

I mean, this is the coolest freaking news I've heard in a while. Final Fantasy has always had some awesome, indepth storylines with plenty of plot twists and turns. This game cannot possibly get any better....well, unless FD Link were in it, but thats an entirely different subject.
QFT, I,ve been a huge Final Fantasy nerd since part 1 (part 8 is my favorite), so I was exceptionally excited by this development.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
KaiserX, take a chill pill and stop getting hysterical yourself and flaming every fanboy that comes into town. It's just not worth correcting every single person, when they're not going to listen anyways. People just want to make their own statements regardless of whether or not someone else said it already. I myself am stoked about this because from what I've seen I don't think I'll be disappointed. Sure there's no dialogue, but then here, none is needed.
: | Have you read my posts? I'm not flaming anyone. I'm trying for a wakeup call, because the fanboys you say I'm flaming are going to be flaming anything and everyone if they don't get the game they wanted.

Bottom line, you have your opinion and everyone else has theirs. Yelling and arguing isn't going to change their minds. I myself enjoyed playing through FFVII, wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst.Kingdom Hearts I'll def end though! Take the games or leave them. If you hate them fine, say it and be done with it in one argument. Don't drag it out or you end up looking like a fool by pushing the issue everytime someone fights back. /endrant
The hell are you talking about? I said FFVII wasn't as good as FFVI, and that KH didn't give a cohesive reason for these franchises culminating, beyond MONEY for the creators, which is perfectly fine given we're talking about a business here. I didn't bash anything. You're confusing me with others in the thread that flat out declared them sucking.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yay for this Final Fantasy guy.

I can't say I have any issues with him, or any of his work. But from what we've seen, The SSE looks like it'll be a blast to play. :)

Can't wait!

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
My point stands that someone who was whisked into the project isn't going to do the sole work of the project. Do not expect even a "good" story. This is Nintendo. No matter how many times an installment goes by, the concept and writing remains static. Despite additions of Zant and Midna, Twilight Princess boiled down to "Ganondorf's doing some EVIL crap, time to save the day." Despite the addition of "star people" and Rosalina, Mario Galaxy was "Peach kidnapped, Mario saves the day."
Now, Brawl has no precedent to live to, SSB had no story, and Melee, nothing, either. It won't be predictable because it's nothing we've seen before. Not that it's impossible for it to suck, but this is not a Zelda game, and this is not a Mario game. Only a game with Link and Mario. (and the rest)

But it has angsty college-aged protagonists with large hair...GAME OF THE YEAR.

FF6 was better.
HELL YEAH!! Way better.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Now, Brawl has no precedent to live to, SSB had no story, and Melee, nothing, either. It won't be predictable because it's nothing we've seen before. Not that it's impossible for it to suck, but this is not a Zelda game, and this is not a Mario game. Only a game with Link and Mario. (and the rest)
I'll agree there. I just meant, I think it wont really go beyond "Nintendo characters fight the Evil Minister and save the day." That's all.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'll agree there. I just meant, I think it wont really go beyond "Nintendo characters fight the Evil Minister and save the day." That's all.
I think there's someone behind the Minister. I'm very curious about that oughta keep me pulled for my first playthrough, but I don't think there will be anything really breathtaking that will keep me consistently playing through for quite a while.

I definately think I'll enjoy though.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
...... Okay, KaiserX, That's why that second part was made a separate paragraph, because it was addressed to everyone else. Maybe I DON'T know what I'm talking about. I'm just seeing everyone arguing and striking back at perceived threats and it's getting annoying. I'll be glad when Brawl comes out and the final roster is revealed so we can get the flamers and whatnot revealed and out of the way. 'nuff said. To be honest? I'm cool with what we've got, and if we get a Squenix character even better, but I'm not holding my breath. *can picture Squenix holding their writer for ransom unless they advertise one of their own characters* Anyhow. I'm more interested in seeing the Falco/Krystal/Wolf debate laid to rest myself. KaiserX, I apologize if I overexaggerated things, but that's honestly what it feels like when I read this thing. both the fanboys and the defenders seems to be overdefensive.

Talendime

Smash Ace
I think there's someone behind the Minister.
It's Sephiroth.

No.. but seriously, do you think maybe there will a FF character making even a cameo in the game, since square is definitely involved? Idunno, one can only wish (while others gnarl..)

hahah, but really, the Subspace Emissary is gonna have a huge ending..

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
It's Sephiroth.

No.. but seriously, do you think maybe there will a FF character making even a cameo in the game, since square is definitely involved? Idunno, one can only wish (while others gnarl..)

hahah, but really, the Subspace Emissary is gonna have a huge ending..
I wish I could say "Terra Branford!" without being annoying.........

eh... Black Mage FTW? Or maybe, no FF :ohwell:

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
...... Okay, KaiserX, That's why that second part was made a separate paragraph, because it was addressed to everyone else. Maybe I DON'T know what I'm talking about. I'm just seeing everyone arguing and striking back at perceived threats and it's getting annoying. I'll be glad when Brawl comes out and the final roster is revealed so we can get the flamers and whatnot revealed and out of the way. 'nuff said. To be honest? I'm cool with what we've got, and if we get a Squenix character even better, but I'm not holding my breath. *can picture Squenix holding their writer for ransom unless they advertise one of their own characters* Anyhow. I'm more interested in seeing the Falco/Krystal/Wolf debate laid to rest myself. KaiserX, I apologize if I overexaggerated things, but that's honestly what it feels like when I read this thing. both the fanboys and the defenders seems to be overdefensive.
I thought the separate paragraph was signifying...the need to be a separate paragraph since it was a separate topic. : |

My apologies.

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
I just hope there isn't a aeris death scene like in FF7. With so little females, we don't have that many to spare xP.

Anyway this definitely makes SSE a bigger deal now

S2

Smash Lord
Ew. His work is terrible.

This has to be the biggest thing that I'm disappointed with Sakurai. He can put terrible characters like Ness or Sonic in all he wants but this crosses the line.
Good job at attempting to be "counter culture".

I think FF7's sales and huge fanbase seem to disagree with you. Its one thing to not like a game, its another to say something is terrible just because everyone else liked it.

I've played a ton of RPGs, including every FF (as well as most of Squares other titles)... you know what? 7 is one of the best RPGs ever made. I don't care if you butthurt that 6 was a better game even if it gets no credit, or that you have nostalgic memories for another one, on its own merit FF7 was a good game with a good story/characters.

Now the English translation of FF7... that wasn't so good.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman

I think FF7's sales and huge fanbase seem to disagree with you. Its one thing to not like a game, its another to say something is terrible just because everyone else liked it.

I've played a ton of RPGs, including every FF (as well as most of Squares other titles)... you know what? 7 is one of the best RPGs ever made. I don't care if you butthurt that 6 was a better game even if it gets no credit, or that you have nostalgic memories for another one, on its own merit FF7 was a good game with a good story/characters.

Now the English translation of FF7... that wasn't so good.
He didn't say that he didn't like it because everyone did. He said he didn't like it. :/

I hate anti-popularity as much as anything else. Reminds me of the old Somethingawful satire "How to be an Indy d**chebag," basically making fun of all the people who instantly hate something the moment it goes "mainstream.

Smash Apprentice
He also wrote both Kingdom Hearts scenarios.

So people with the Primids == Heartless can shut up now.

Yes, you're right.

But it's not ripping an idea off if the original writer decides to reuse his own idea.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
He also wrote both Kingdom Hearts scenarios.

So people with the Primids == Heartless can shut up now.

Yes, you're right.

But it's not ripping an idea off if the original writer decides to reuse his own idea.
Not to mention he didn't necessarily design the same characters. He just wrote the scenarios.

There's a lot of different writing jobs for a game. This guy didn't necessarily write all the parts you're thinking about in terms of the other games he was responsible for.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I responded to Johnknight's post but Smashboards went all funky on me and didn't go through, so I'm gonna respond to this instead since he isn't worth even typing all of it out again.
That's not what I'm attempting. But facts are facts. FFVII is, yes, a piece of garbage in just about every aspect. Instead of improving as a sequel, it basically was a downgrade in the transition between FFVI and FFVII, especially with the inclusion of a crap system like the materia one. And you'd at least think it'd make up in the story, characters, or atmosphere or something unique. But it doesn't, as all of that was also downgraded from past games with undeveloped and uninteresting characters, predictable story, no unique aspects. Basically, in general, it was a piece of garbage.
No, I'm saying it's terrible because it is. What do you not get? A lot of mainstream games are really good. You don't see me hating on Mario titles like Super Mario World or Super Mario Galaxy, or an uber popular FF title like FFIV (which is one of my favorites in the series). Those games are all good, unlike FFVII.
Let me guess, you like Naruto?

Top Bottom