• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you stop maining a character because they wound up being in a really bad tier?

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
People have proved that good tourny play can raise a character's tier spot alone, so I always thought it was worth it to try and do that. Be known as the person who plays your main and gave it notice instead of another high tier switcher

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No character I play winds up being bad.
Mark my words.

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
Considering I mained Kirby in Melee and Jigglypuff in Brawl, no.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I don't go for tiers. I tend to pick fighters who are unique & fun. Plus, winning with someone who isn't top tier is just that more rewarding.

Little Mac, 1 stock, Final Destination only m i rite?

There's satisfaction and depth to all characters if you go for it all and keep giving it your best.

Any character can be unstoppable.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I just go for feel. Samus was "great" in Melee, but clearly felt very off for me in Brawl & Smash 4. So I'm forced to switch regardless of tiers.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Even if i didn't play a consistently garbage tier character in every game i wouldn't care because i am sure the distance between the bottom and the top isn't going to be as radical as any of the other three games.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Hahahahahahahaha, no.

My favorite character will always be my main, regardless of tiers.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
If I got serious about winning tourneys, of course I'd switch to a better char. Given that I stubbornly main doc in melee, despite maybe just being better with fox, unless I I change my mindset, I'll prolly pick a mid-tier I like and stick with them

BloodyNights

Smash Rookie
NNID
ServantArcher
3DS FC
1246-8831-5354
I think a lot of people say that they don't care about tiers, but I've heard about a lot of people dropping characters because apparently they don't feel right. Personally to me this almost sounds like an excuse because feeling right could just be a higher tiered character lol

As for me I always play who I like regardless of anything. Playstyle doesn't matter to me, neither does tier. I mostly pick characters on looks, personality, and story. I'll adapt to any short comings they may have, and in some rare cases they are op. lol

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Nope. I like having the challenge of making my character good. IMO Pit was criminally underused in brawl, so I set out to make him the best for me. If I went tryhard and used Snake or Marth might I have had a better chance, maybe, but where's the fun in it if it's not my favorite character. While smash is a competitive game and there are times to be serious if your not having fun the game's not worth playing. If going tryhard for you is fun, go tryhard, if using low tier characters is fun go low tier, if your favorite character is fun use them. Someone shouldn't be judged based on their definition of fun. [Which is why the little mac shaming going on right now is particularly annoying.]

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Considering that i'm always choosing my main (based of my preferred play style) before I see a tier list, I would say no. I am open to using secondaries who might be considered high tier though, but mostly to complement my main character.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I just play characters that I feel right playing with. In Brawl my main and both of my seconds were considered low on the tier list but I could play decent matches with people who regularly played competitive (and were good at it). If Duck Hunt, Peach, or Yoshi fall under low tiers, I won't care, I'll still use them because I like using them, and I'm decent with them.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Only if said tier is bottom.

As for would I pick up a character just for their high-tier placement, absolutely not. Not enjoying a character saps my will to compete at all away. Also I started as a Marth main in Brawl and switched to Wolf later, who is of a lower tier. Unless my character is so "bad" that they're legitimately unviable for tournament play, I use whoever I please.

In Smash 4 I'm using a variety of characters right now so that helps to some degree. If some of them end up being "bad", then I will hopefully have another character I enjoy to dedicate myself to instead.

Last edited:

Ruminator

Smash Rookie
NNID
quietrepentance
3DS FC
0989-2562-6960
Sometimes the struggle outweighs the ability to have fun with the character.

Would you try to play Kirby in competitive Melee, even if he was fun in casuals?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, it's more fun when your character is good than when he is bad, I don't think that's arguable, though there does exist a thing like being too good.

However, what ultimately determines if a character is fun or not for an individual is their moveset. I mained Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Samus, Ike and Meta Knight in Brawl, one is top of the top while the rest are considered to be really bad characters. I choose my mains based on how much I like to play them and who they are, I'd never main Rosalina even if she's good because I don't like her and her moveset gives me a headache, I'd much rather main Ike then who, while not a good character, I like as a Nintendo character and I enjoy playing as.

So the answer is ultimately no.

Last edited:

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Hell no i never give something how high tier some characters are I play with the characters I like thats it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not really. None of my Brawl mains were high tier - Luigi, Zelda or ROB. And tiers don't matter as much outside tournaments.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I've stuck with low tier character mains out of some misplaced sense of "character loyalty" before in my past which prevented me from keeping up with some of the better players of certain games. I'll always play who I like, but I now realize that there isn't anything wrong with picking up a few strong characters here and there.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I might, and I might try someone who placed high, but if things don't work out, I switch back. I use tiers as suggestions, but if I can't use it, I can't use it.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
To be honest, I wouldn't mind any character to play as. Tiers don't matter to me for any form of reason. I just choose whoever I want on the roster. To put things simple, I just don't have favorites. I guess that's just me.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Honestly i'm avoiding those good rush characters, it I win with them I think they be cause of the character not my "Skill", also picking characters I like "if Mario's to bland go with Link." :)

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Well I could not care less about tiers. I chose the characters I play with mainly by design / game series I like. If my character of choice happens to be top-tier - well nice. If not - well what now? Gladly I do not have to worry about tournament placings and making money off it, so I am free to still play whatever I feel like. And I felt great enjoyment playing ZSS and Ganondorf in Brawl.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No way. I don't see the point in playing the game if I am not playing my favorite characters. Plus, I actually doubt tiers will affect online matches as much they affect tournament matches.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I play characters I like.

Which is why Yoshi's been my main for 15 years, Bowser has the second most play time on most of my games and Falco, Marth, Sheik and Metaknight are amongst the least played characters on many of my save files.

That said I certainly know people who do only main top tier characters IRL. Someone I know who mained Falcon in Melee and 64 dropped him like a lead weight in Brawl due to his nerf, and went to Metaknight instead after talking about how much he was looking forward to Diddy and Pit...I'll never understand that.

JML

Smash Cadet
I have some sort of ironic hipster thing going on mentally, where I'm more inclined to drop a character if they're too high on a tier and I'm more likely to play a character if it's lower on the tier-list. It just feels good when you beat a "high-tier" character with someone "low-tier." Much more satisfying.

But I always pick characters based on feel, and then adjust sometimes when lists come out.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
No. I play characters who I have really come to like through their own respective series regardless whether they are top tier or not. In my opinion, only playing the top tier characters in Smash kinda defeats the purpose of the series.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Yes I would, if you personally think your character is bad then why use them in a serious match? When Brawl first came out I stop maining Sheik for a bit, then I saw she could be good so I switch back and in the end among many other reasons I stop playing smash in general because she wasn't as good as I hoped.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes I would, if you personally think your character is bad then why use them in a serious match? When Brawl first came out I stop maining Sheik for a bit, then I saw she could be good so I switch back and in the end among many other reasons I stop playing smash in general because she wasn't as good as I hoped.
Because I like the character, that is what matters the most, in the end. As @ SaucyDancer SaucyDancer said:

"Only playing the top tier characters in Smash is really shallow and kinda defeats the purpose of the series."

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Because I like the character, that is what matters the most, in the end. As @ SaucyDancer SaucyDancer said:

"Only playing the top tier characters in Smash is really shallow and kinda defeats the purpose of the series."
Liking a character is important as it makes it easier to learn them and motivate you to test things. I'm not saying you should play characters you don't like but if you like Meta knight and Kirby equally then logically you should pick meta knight. If you like Zelda and meta knight semi equally but Zelda just only a bit more then you should pick meta knight because chances are you will have more fun winning.

Also if you want to be real everyone who pick a character purely based on their original titles are the shallow one's. They are putting very little thought into their decision or they aren't respecting their decision as seriously as they should when real money is on the line. Your other point is invalid since the designer wanted this game to be played with items on, with hazards stages, and mostly in a 4 player free for all setting.

It's not nice to call people shallow, please respect my decisions and I'll respect yours.

edit: I think the smash series is the best fighting game series ever made. You could replace all the characters with wire frames and I would still think it's the best.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I didn't mean to be rude so sorry about that. Probably just a poor choice of words on my behalf. You're all beautiful people :)

D

Deleted member

I like to play as characters that I like. Meta Knight was one of my mains for Brawl and he's been one of my mains since the release of that game; I wasn't even aware of how good he was.
If a character ended up being in a bad tier position and I mained as them, I wouldn't drop them. As a Luigi main, it's disheartening to see him be bottom tier in 64 and Brawl and mid-tier in Melee, but I'm pretty good as him due to having the knowledge of maining him for 15 years. If Luigi is once again in a terrible tier position, I won't drop him.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Liking a character is important as it makes it easier to learn them and motivate you to test things. I'm not saying you should play characters you don't like but if you like Meta knight and Kirby equally then logically you should pick meta knight. If you like Zelda and meta knight semi equally but Zelda just only a bit more then you should pick meta knight because chances are you will have more fun winning.

Also if you want to be real everyone who pick a character purely based on their original titles are the shallow one's. They are putting very little thought into their decision or they aren't respecting their decision as seriously as they should when real money is on the line. Your other point is invalid since the designer wanted this game to be played with items on, with hazards stages, and mostly in a 4 player free for all setting.

It's not nice to call people shallow, please respect me decisions and I'll respect yours.

edit: I think the smash series is the best fighting game series ever made. You could replace all the characters with wire frames and I would still think it's the best.
Yeah, I kind of have to agree with you here. It's not right for your opinion to be bashed on like that. Considering your the only one in this thread so far who has said tiers effect who you play as. Its looking like saying no is the politically correct answer here and thats what people want you to say.

I personally, have always mained Jigglypuff in every single smash bros, as she is my favorite character. However, I can't deny that I'm simply better with Diddy Kong in Brawl. Why? Well he's top tier and I'm good with him, I don't really like Diddy Kong but he's better than my Jigglypuff. So for the sole fact that I use him in tournament more than my Jiggs in Brawl tournament clearly shows that I favor characters higher on the tier list. Granted, I try to use Jigglypuff in tournament too but usually when I do, its my downfall and I pay for it. I feel like Smash 4 is kind of the same right now as I seem to be leaning more towards Duck Hunt over Jiggs, then again, I like Duck Hunt alot more than Diddy as a character so maybe its not the case.

I don't want to flat out say yes and look like one of those stereotypical players that only likes the competitive scene, because I don't. I like every aspect of this series in general and I love every version of the game just as much as the other. I have characters I like to play as and I have characters that I use in tournaments to win with. Just because I win with Diddy in tournament doesn't mean I use him outside of tournaments, because I don't, I don't like playing him outside of tournaments.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I have some sort of ironic hipster thing going on mentally, where I'm more inclined to drop a character if they're too high on a tier and I'm more likely to play a character if it's lower on the tier-list. It just feels good when you beat a "high-tier" character with someone "low-tier." Much more satisfying.

But I always pick characters based on feel, and then adjust sometimes when lists come out.
Haha, I do that sometimes in other games. Rolling with a weaker party which is more fun while not using an overpowered character just for the challenge. Not using the OP guy and winning with the underdog character has its own satisfaction.

To answer the question, I wouldn't really care much about tier as I tend to pick characters who I am more comfortable with, or ones who suit my style as well as according to how much I actually like them. Tier plays a role if 2 characters are equally liked by me and are similar in their "fun factor", then I will just pick the higher tier character for the frequent wins, especially when I just want to relax. If I am all game for a challenge then the lower tier character for more artificial difficulty I suppose.

I will definitely play the lower tier character if I want to troll my friends though :p My friend wasn't very good at the game and used to spam Metaknight like crazy, so I liked to beat him up with Ike!

In the end, it is a flexible choice according to how I am feeling. That is why we should try out multiple characters, after all there are 50 characters to pick from!

And I wouldn't drop a character if I found that s/he is now low tier, maybe just pick a backup for some times.

Last edited:

greenfield

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5155-3332-7260
I consider any game where Falcon is not viable to simply be a bad game.

SHOTS FIRED NINTENDO.

Top Bottom