• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would this work?

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
I don't main Link but I did try something when I was messing with him once.
Go to the edge. Take out a bomb. Throw it up. UpB. Bomb lands cancels your UpB. UpB again.

Uses-
Edgeguarding
example-
Lets say you got a falco off the edge. They have 3 choices with their UpB.
1. Sweetspot
2.Mess up the sweetspot.
3.Go above the stage and fall down and grab the edge.

In the first case, there is very little you could do. I'd take the bomb hit and find another way to edgeguard.

In the second case, they get hit by your first UpB. Easy gimp.

In the third case, This is where I think this comes in handy. They go up and DI into the edge. Your bomb should hit you about the time they reach the highest point of their upB. If you UpB again quick enough after getting hit by the bomb you could hit them with the later frames of your UpB. I don't know what they are called but I call them the gimp frames.

Anyway, like I said I don't main link. This is all in theory. I've never tried using this technique on an actual player.

Spife

Smash Master
It's okay, except that most intermediate players will sweet spot, and chances are if you're up-b doesn't spike, they're dead or why the **** are you up-b'ing at such a low percent?
I feel like the initial knock back/spike of the first up-b should be enough to let you get on the edge or off the stage to nair, and if that isn't the case you're doing something horribly wrong.

Now that I've fully read your post, the solution is either, nair, ftilt, or read their recovery and respond accordingly. As link, if they sweet spot and you guess they're not going to in any way, and you up-b to edge guard, you're going to get punished. If you miss the edge guard, nuts to you.

Seriously, get off the stage and put a nair in their face.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I can't find it, but I know either Spife or Stos had favorited it. It was a Link V Falcon friendly where the link did some stupid awesome things. Like using his dair at low percentages to gimp at the bottom of Yoshis.

ANYWAY, the third match was on FD, and the Link was edgeguarding. He Threw a boomerang, and threw his bomb up and Up+B'd. The bomb came down and hit him, he caught his boomerang to stop him from bouncing, and up+B'd a second time to extend it.

It was sexy as hell.

Spife

Smash Master
some one vs ephy, I have it favorited but can't go find it right now (late for class lul)

that link is ridic.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
I can't find it, but I know either Spife or Stos had favorited it. It was a Link V Falcon friendly where the link did some stupid awesome things. Like using his dair at low percentages to gimp at the bottom of Yoshis.

ANYWAY, the third match was on FD, and the Link was edgeguarding. He Threw a boomerang, and threw his bomb up and Up+B'd. The bomb came down and hit him, he caught his boomerang to stop him from bouncing, and up+B'd a second time to extend it.

It was sexy as hell.
find that and post link for us to watch. that sound so freakin sick.

Skler

Smash Master
The boomerang didn't stop him from bouncing, whenever you're below 32% you don't get knocked over.

That match was painful to see, Falcon had no idea what he was doing. At least Link gave him a shot with all those heroic suicide dairs and the best upB save ever.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Wow I love the super up-B ending. Out of all the showman stuff link pulled in that match that dbl up-B could actually have it's uses. I have never seen it before though.

Spife

Smash Master
Echoing Skler, and as much as I like those matches, I think I could do impressive **** if I was playing a falcon like that. But nooooo I gotta live on beast coast where everyone worth their weight in stocks who mains Falcon is good. **** this ****.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman

It was sexy as hell.
Another way to stop yourself from bouncing is to hold down and crouch cancel. At higher percents crouch canceling into a tech works.

That video shows exactly what I'm talking about. I think it could work but it probably be best to nair the person instead.

XIII ways to die

Smash Apprentice
huh catching the boomerang to stop the bounce..... never thought of that before but coolllll.
try this though.

short hop drop the bomb on thier shield di away backwards chain them coming down so that the chain hits the bomb and them sunning them long enough then to an down air to up-air to up-b. why not try to throw the up-b cancle in as well.

Top Bottom