• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would like so Pointers for amatuer!!

SilverSix311

Smash Cadet
Yo i've been playin SSBM for about 4 months now but just as a little fun. Now me and my friend wanna just get insanely good at this game. Just looking for criticism and pointers but please don't flame us as i said we are amateurs right now. Thank you.
Heres the youtube link: Match 1 Dr. vs Falco

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Note: Please don't be intimidated by this post. Please read.

Alright, man *claps*. I watched it all the way through and I thought it was enjoyable. It remind me of when I started getting into competitive Smash. I wasn't that good... okay, I wasn't good at all (I thought I was the best) but I slowly started using more advanced techniques. I saw you attempt to PTP and I notice a few short hop neutral air attacks. Good start.

I'm not going to so much critque you and your friend (I play Dr. Mario AND Falco... and those same colors, too, lol. You have good tastes ;)) rather than lead you in the direction of teaching yourselves. If I watched the video and critqued everything, you'd have a page long essay on things you might not even understand.

So, for starters, I would recommend looking at this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6268917341431368191

It is the Advanced How To Play Guide. It is a must if you are looking to get competitive or "insanely good" at this game. It might seem intimidating at first, but trust me, it gets easy. It becomes second nature.

I'd also like to throw this out there before you possibly become discouraged: It does take work to be good, but it might seem overwhelming to you. It's not. Thirty minutes, even less, a day is all you need to get good decently fast. If it seems like you're doing even WORSE than you were before you started trying to get good... that's good. It's natural for that to happen. When you learn something new and start incorporating it into your game, you'll do worse at first, but in the end you'll come out higher than you were before. So start with that guide.

Then, for Dr. Mario, I'd recommend a read through this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=55939

It's a textual explanation of the essentials you need to know about Dr. Mario. Smashmac was kind enough to make a video explaining some of the things as well, so if you are going "...What the ****?" that should help you. I'd recommend watching it even if you aren't going wtf. I even read through the Doc guide every now and then myself, just to refresh on some things. I'm a pretty decent player, but it never hurts.

Also, you've come to the right place if you're looking to get good. The people on this board (the Dr. Mario board) are pretty nice people and will be willing to help you, even if it seems like it takes them forever, XD.

So now you understands the basic competitive moves and know how to use Dr. Mario well... what next? Practice, practice, practice. If three practices in a row scares you, I'm sorry. It's just I emphasize it. It isn't much practicing, but if you find you can't do something, I bet twenty minutes of solid practice will iron that out. If you can do something fine in practice, but have trouble doing it in actual gameplay, that's natural. A really common thing is people not knowing the right time to wavedash. It becomes natural to you. Just slowly start to incorporate it into your game. That might cause you to suck more and die at times you normally wouldn't or miss kills you normally would have gotten, but it will help you in the long run.

Smash is full of potentially confusing acronyms and concepts. I won't even begin to go into them, but thankfully AlphaZealot has done that for us: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

That there is your encylopedia to all terms Smash. It also includes a color-coded picture of which stages are neutral (the ones you have set on random), banned stages, and counter-pick stages if you're interested in competitive smash, such as tournaments, or just want to play serious every now and then with your buddies by doing sets.

If you are interested in tournament play, the character match-up chart would also be a good thing to look at and familarize yourself with. That doesn't mean memorize it, as the match-ups will become obvious to yourself after awhile, probably. Ever notice you have a **** hard time against Marth and that **** sword? Dr. Mario doesn't do so well against Marth, at least compared to other characters. That doesn't mean you can't beat him, but it will be harder. However, some characters will be a punching bag for you, just because you counter them so well. Again, that is mainly only if you are interested in tournament play, but if you want to get really good, you're probably heading in that direction.

I think I've covered enough for you and given you a decently paved path to follow... so much for not giving you a page long essay. Heh, sorry. Good luck on your road to smashing glory. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I should add this as well: I probably wouldn't have gotten as good as I am now without watching videos. By watching more advanced players play, you can see how the character is kind of supposed to be played. Kind of like Cyphus' textual guide put into action, if you will. Combo videos and matches on Youtube are a great start. They really helped me.

So without further ado:

Dr. Mario Video Thread - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105097

Here you can find bunches of matches of Doc vs. a wide array of characters. The matches of Bob$ vs. Falcomist would be great for you to watch. Now, these Falco's don't play like your friend does, but the Docs do play how you would normally fight that character (on an advanced level). Give 'em a watch.

Combo Video Thread - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=84888

Aww, the combo video thread. What a time killer this thread can be and enjoyable at that. Combo videos are a great way for you to start thinking about how you can kick *** and take names. Good Dr. Mario combo videos to watch are Overdose, Take it and Get Out, The Medic Man, and DBR Evolution-Bob Money. Good stuff.

Alright, I hope that got you started. Good Smashing to you.

SilverSix311

Smash Cadet
Wow thanks man. I actually intend on doin 2v2 matches hopefully in tournaments with my friend (Falco) and we are very interested in gettin into the game as you have described. We have looked at both Technique videos. Its just really hard for me to wave dash and im thinking my controllers are breaking... lol seems like everytime i wanna dash nothing happens or stuff like that. Thank you again and i plan on keeping everyone posted on how i am doin.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Awesome man. Yeah, stick around. It's always nice to see, watch, and help someone progress. I'll be posting up some videos of myself soon if you want to watch those. If your Falco friend wants some pointers, I would be happy to help him, but I'm a lot less knowledgable Falco than Doc. He'd probably be better off with the people on the Falco boards.

That's pretty cool though, man. Doc and Falco can be a good team, but you need to be really in tune with your partner. It's not a pick and go team, so good luck. ^_^

I would recommend buying a new controller, even if yours isn't breaking. You know... for Brawl =). About the wavedash, though, it will seem hard at first. Just do it really slow. You don't have to be the Flash. Each character has their own "rhythem" if you know what I mean. Once you find that it is easy. I thought wavedash was the hardest thing in the world, but thirty minutes in training on FD and I was doing it OKAY.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Well at this point im sure Kasha's post covered everything lol.

Just a quick point: teach the falco how to short hop. and you incorporate short hopped attacks more.

I play falco and doc as my top two. Dont worry about wavedashing being to hard. i thought it was really hard too, then one morning i woke up and was a wavedashing fiend even though i could only barely do it the night before. Your fingers memorize the movements after you've done it a few times so start slow then go faster.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Well no one's really critiqued the video yet...
Though, I'm only a bit better then you Silver, so I can't give much advice or anything. I guess what stuck out with me was all the rolls.
So much rolling!! Heh. I just have a friend who's kind of trained me in the ways of smash and he ALWAYS gets on my case about my liberal use of the sheild roll. It probably feels like second nature right now, but it'll get you in a lot of trouble.
Nice first kill agaisnt Falco though. Gotta love Doc's up-tilt.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Nice post Kash! Nice of you to put so much in.

A few general pointers from me- 1st of all, wavedashing is nowhere near as important as L canceling. Wavedashing is just usefull to get in and out of position. Try these simple but effective combos to start- jab to dsmash, jab to grab, and for falco- dthrow to fsmash. Good luck to you

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ok your new matches arent much better than your old ones. one good thing is atleast you dont roll as much.

you need to learn to L-cancel. and stop doing Dair as an appraoch/attack with doc. it really doesnt suck. Nair would be much better.

I notice neither of you follow up on your attacks. You seem content to hit each other, and wait for the other person to come back into range as opposed to chasing them into combos.

and learn to wavedash to make your doc faster.

SilverSix311

Smash Cadet
Well i'm trying to put all my stuff in. Ive noticed that the Dair attack lets me rack up more damage on my friend. That and i get sick of man you do the same move the whole game line he gives me. The pills are hard for me to aim and wave dashing is hard i end up just dodging in the air. Very few make it. But i try at least the habit of rolling is hard to break... gotta hate that man.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
those lines are something called johns and should be ignored and be replied to with these words 'no johns'.

Nair is a better approach and you can follow it up with a dsmash if you l cancel properly. You don't have to aim pills really. Just throw em at your opponent. Use the pills- they are very damaging, have a lot of stun and can be followed up (pillrushing)

Top Bottom