• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Stage for Ike?

metroid1117

Smash Master
(Yes, I know we have a Stage Discussion Thread, but that thread addressed specific stages, not general cases.)

In your opinion, what is the stage that is WORST (aka most disadvantageous) for Ike in general (including counterpicks) and why? In my opinion, it's Japes - Ike's recovery does not benefit at all from the water and the two side platforms make projectile camping very easy. The only good thing about this stage is that Ike can "camp" by Aethering onto the edges between the piers; however, the klaptrap can come and kill you if you do it for too long.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Mario Bros. Stage.

Lol, but seriously... It probably is Jungle Japes...

Plus, it doesn't help that it is THE VERY best stage for one of Ike's worst matchups. (Falco)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think it's pretty unanimous that it's Jungle Japes.

If not Japes then it'd be Frigate.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I put it down as Japes in the Ike character guide that mysteriously vanished from the sticky.

He still doesn't suck there by himself, the issue is that projectile users get an unfathomable boost here. Aetherstalling for a bit is kind of cool, however.

Edit: To make a list of Ike's "bad" stages, I'd probably make it:

Japes
Bridge of Eldin
Frigate
Rainbow Cruise
Final Destination

In that order. Anything else is weaksauce.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I find Final D okay.

Just some character you don't want to take there, and the lip shouldn't give you too much trouble.

As for Frigate, some opponents are affected just as bad, and the missing lip is only on one stage, there's another oen to it as well, yes?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I find Final D okay.

Just some character you don't want to take there, and the lip shouldn't give you too much trouble.

As for Frigate, some opponents are affected just as bad, and the missing lip is only on one stage, there's another oen to it as well, yes?
Final Destination is fine, as Kinzer says. I wouldn't call it a bad stage.
It's his worst neutral, so I thought it deserves honorable mention. It's like Eldin except less gay. Waaaay less.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm surprised no one said Skyworld yet. I know it's banned, but still, that stage is bad for his recovery. I'd have to say Frigate Orpheon, though. I was using Ike and I thought about going to that stage. But then there was that platform where you can't even grab the edge, so I thought I'd just go to a different stage instead.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I put it down as Japes in the Ike character guide that mysteriously vanished from the sticky.

He still doesn't suck there by himself, the issue is that projectile users get an unfathomable boost here. Aetherstalling for a bit is kind of cool, however.

Edit: To make a list of Ike's "bad" stages, I'd probably make it:

Japes
Bridge of Eldin
Frigate
Rainbow Cruise
Final Destination

In that order. Anything else is weaksauce.
We have quite a difference in opinion here, I must say.

Japes I agree with. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
The Bridge is my favorite banned level. I know CG = death here, but I love the gap in the center when it happens.
Frigate I don't like to much, so I agree there.
Rainbow Cruise I love. It's so easy to KO at the top of the stage, it's not even funny. Not to mention that if you are really good in the air, you can get some fast KOs.
Final Destination is another stage I enjoy. I think the reason for this is because for the longest time, this is the only stage me and my friends played on.

Personally, my least favorite (aside from Japes) is Port Town Aero Dive, though it's generally a banned stage.

Uffe said:
I'm surprised no one said Skyworld yet. I know it's banned, but still, that stage is bad for his recovery
According to the Stage Legality Discussion thread, it's Counter/Banned, so if the TO wants it, they can put it in the list of CPs.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I honestly like Frigate. Why? No ledge + Bthrow or full AAA combo = Free Fsmash for Ike. Or AA->Dtilt, which would work a lot better with no auto-snapping the ledge.

RC is bad, unless facing Olimar, in which case it could save your life if you know the stage like the back of your hand. Otherwise, you'll still get owned. >_<

FD works well against people with restrictive recoveries (like Wolf), thanks to the ledge, and Ike isn't effect nearly as much as some people.

Skyworld.......*shutters*. Never take ANYONE there. This is Ike's truly worse stage. There are platforms, but you can't take advantage of them half of the time thanks to their thickness. The stage breaks, which sucks thanks to aether, so you will have to rely on Quick Draw, which means you will be getting gimped every single freaking stock. There is a cave like effect when all of the platforms are in place, except it likes to bounce you out to the side as well as stop your opponents from being KOed upwards. At least Japes is remotely usable against people like C.Falcon. But on Skyworld......my money would be on the Falcon.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Jungle Japes and Skyworld.

But since I like Jungle Japes when playing as whoever, Skyworld is the worst.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
We have quite a difference in opinion here, I must say.

Japes I agree with. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
The Bridge is my favorite banned level. I know CG = death here, but I love the gap in the center when it happens.
Frigate I don't like to much, so I agree there.
Rainbow Cruise I love. It's so easy to KO at the top of the stage, it's not even funny. Not to mention that if you are really good in the air, you can get some fast KOs.
Final Destination is another stage I enjoy. I think the reason for this is because for the longest time, this is the only stage me and my friends played on.

Personally, my least favorite (aside from Japes) is Port Town Aero Dive, though it's generally a banned stage.
Bridge looks awesome, has great music, but from a gameplay standpoint blows for Ike. It's huge, so even Ike's power generally seems lacking. In addition, Ike isn't a good Back Throw camper, like other characters such as ROB or whatever. And to make it even worse, he can be chaingrabbed to death and is camped easily.

Rainbow Cruise isn't bad, it makes you rely on Ike's aerial game. There's an issue with the stage, however. It makes enemy fights obstacle courses. Add that to characters who are already obstacle courses and you get a very lame match.

FD is usually liked by force of habit, as you said. I don't think it's really that bad for Ike, but I just mentioned it as it's his worst neutral.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Bridge looks awesome, has great music, but from a gameplay standpoint blows for Ike. It's huge, so even Ike's power generally seems lacking. In addition, Ike isn't a good Back Throw camper, like other characters such as ROB or whatever. And to make it even worse, he can be chaingrabbed to death and is camped easily.
Gonna have to agree here.

I love BoE and it's my outright favorite banned stage, but it's banned for a reason. :laugh:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I know Battlefield is supposed to be a good stage for Ike, but it completely sucks for me. I've always been aerial in all fighting games, especially, smash, mainly because the characters I use are generally speed characters with good aerial game (i.e. Marth and Sheik). It's a bad habit for me, though, and I continue to mainly fight aerial...ly with Ike, and Battlefield's platforms totally screw that up for me, lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's suppse to help really, what with Bairs and SH Nairs.

Ike has a nice platform game.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
jungle japes by far i recover after being knocked in the water and i just can't do it

Top Bottom