• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Pikachu Player Ever Thread - New vids Midwest Circuit

Anther

Smash Champion
Hey, bunch of new vids from the midwest circuit event. There are only a few sets here now, but I'll update as more vids get posted on the tube.

:pikachu: Winner Semi's vs Alphazealot :diddy:
~1~ - I like how I played this one a lot D=
~2~
~3~
By the third game I don't know why, but I became completely afraid to even try to pick up bananas. Weirdness.

:pikachu: Winner Finals vs Overswarm :metaknight:
~1~ - Vengeful gimping
~2~
~3~ - Port town shenanigans XD

:pikachu: :popo: vs :metaknight: :dedede:
Sweet doubles ending, teehee.
-------------------------

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
love the vids, very nice pikachu.

I would add in that most of the matchups, pikachu's air game is not as good as who you're playing. (not sure about wolf, though). The only place that pikachu has an advantage in is his projectile - I was expecting you to spam it more..

I also notice that you miss opportunities to punish sometimes, and your overall way of dealing with approaches is not well thought out, especially if they're coming from above. Maybe you just love to approach too much :)
I don't really have anything to say to help you because approaches from above are not that easy to deal with, but it seems like the place you are least familiar with (ie - fall prey to mindgames most). Try out a couple of things, but I would suggest just getting away and projectile spam them.

Finally, I notice you don't approach with the projectile - reasons? I know g&w eats through it very easily - is there a way to punish g&w for that? (and yes I know that the bair is godly for g&w)

Still the coolest pikachu i've seen Anther. Great work with the QAC.

Keep it up.

Ammeren

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh Anther,
Regardless how crap everyone says you are, I still envy your pika skills from melee (especially your quick attack skills) - and nothings changed =D

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I only watched the match Versus Wolf.

That said you are the best Pika i have seen so far.

there is room to improve. but... Id like to see more QAC and see your spacing improve more. (not that your spacing was bad)

Nice job.

The Wolf rolls to much.

Dont let the haters get you down. :chuckle:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Anther, how did you get out of G&W throws? Do you have to DI in a particular direction?

Anyways, nice videos! One thing I never saw you use was fair -> grabs which looked like it might have been helpful on some occasions. Also, I saw that you never used pika's downthrow during grabs, is there a reason? I generally find his downthrow the easiest to follow up on. The only other thing I'd say is to vary up your QAC -> aerial approach. Instead of heading at them diagnolly, come at them them across (left or right) and down. You'll end up in back of them so they cant punish you as easily, and you can follow up better if they block it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nice videos, but they don't prove that you suck, watching them, you look like a great pikachu player.

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
Question, is there a reason you didn't Chain Grab Wolf or spam thunder shock? I noticed you started the chaingrab near the end, but the opponent was already at 70% so you aborted with an Up Smash. (good idea, i normally down smash but I think I'll swap for an Up Smash -> Thunder) Were you at a location that was going to lynch you if you dared annoyed them with a Pikachu then that would make sense ^^.

Oh, be careful with the ending to the Wolf match, if you were are a high percentage (which you weren't) that move will spike ya to Pikachu Hell lol. Good job, we need to match Pikachu's sometime!

Anther

Smash Champion
Thanks for confirming it the majority of you guys. I thought it was true, just needed to dive in and make sure =P.

Taxgy said:
Anther, how did you get out of G&W throws? Do you have to DI in a particular direction?
I think it was his Dthrow that I got 'Out' of... You simply tech at the end of the throw, then choose a direction that you don't think he'll chase you in XD.

Osgiliath said:
Question, is there a reason you didn't Chain Grab Wolf or spam thunder shock?
I didn't know you could chain grab him back then XD. And I don't really have a reason for not spamming T-bolts... No lynch mob would appear for me playing to win though =P... If my approach game is ever broken or if it seems appropriate I'll run and jolt though. Def did it to a couple jiggly mains back in melee time x_X.

Spyckie said:
Finally, I notice you don't approach with the projectile
I actually think that's my most known approach... and also thusly my most punished XD. I like to shoot jolts and chase after then into a grab or usmash or whatever, but at the same time, the shields in this game can allow your opponent to release and retaliate faster than you can if you're chasing right after the beginning of the jolt. It's still a decent approach though, regardless of it being easier to counter in this game..

lain said:
STIL SUXS
I hate you ;;
Shaeden said:
BTR AT MELES
No I'm not <3
pikachun00b7 said:
ANTHR = teh Sux
You're still mad about our illegitimate lovechild >=|
Rollerking540 said:
Anther, you aren't even worthy enough to lick the scum off the tail of a n00b pikachu. Everyone who says your good is delusional...
You speak the hardest truths I've ever seen =P
N64 said:
man anther you're terrible
Yeah I know... I just don't know what to do =[.
PikaTheXIII said:
Man dude lol how can you play this game?
I dunno glutton for punishment I guess =].

therofl

Smash Cadet
anther, youve been my pikachu idol ever since melee. While you're not perfect, you're pretty **** good. Do you think I can get your friend code? I'm not that bad myself... i went to a tournament the other day(my first one) and got matched up with Psycho ****** first round... The first game was really close.. both of us were at 120%. the second game, I won. and the third one was close also, both were at 100%~

wanna play sometime?!

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I forgot G&W's dthrow looks like you're escaping one of his other throws.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Ok I know it's that cool joke to say you're really awful, but I gotta say your playing really inspired me. I need to incorporate that QAC into my game, it's quite impressive when you do it.

Now I have a couple of questions that I ask for my benefit and yours also, in that if you haven't asked yourself these questions then you can further develop your technique, and if you have then (hopefully) you'll share your knowledge. If not I might have to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Anyways, my first question is: Why do you avoid the use of the d-air? You used it once in the wolf match, and never in the MK or G&W. I may be very mislead, but I kinda like it: good priority and nice hit-box, bad lag but I think it has a landing hit. I kinda spam it, which isn't too good, but I'd imagine if you switch your approach up b/w the f-air, d-air, crazy QAC stuff, and projectile spam etc your opponent will have a hell of a time predicting your next move. I dunno, I just like the d-air. -_-

Ok, my other question: Is there a benefit from full hopping into the thundershock instead of short-hopping? I kinda do a Melee Falco short hop thundershock thingy, maybe a SHTS (OH GOD THAT SOUNDS AWFUL). I notice you full jump into the thundershock, I'd imagine to gain more momentum or maybe to give you longer time in the air to decide if you want to approach after the TS or back off. I don't even think about this stuff when I'm playing, but if I start making it second nature, I'll be that much closer TO VICTORY!

That's it, I'm spent. I enjoyed watching your vids. You rock!

Anther

Smash Champion
Haha, Thanks Framerate.

I don't use Dair very often because in my eyes it's nair with a different hitbox and usually is a bit more risky to bring out. It's good because its hanging hitbox is a bit more useful, and more range when someone's below you... and also its landing hitbox (But the fact that it has knockback is kinda hurt by the fact that it has crazy lag. I'm sure someone'll find uses for it eventually, I just don't see many that are different from nair atm...

I full hop thunderjolts because short hopped ones end your movement after you throw it out and touch the ground. If someone reflects it/sheilds/cancels it, you're probably gonna get punished. The full hopped one gives you the option to go anywhere... and be relatively safe from most punishments in this game. The time period for a bolt to hit someone on the ground is also pretty similar to the time it takes for pika to land and be done with the cooldown from the move... almost giving you an option of an immediate followup after deciding where you want to land.

Hope that helps a bit and shows a lil bit more of what I'm thinking :X.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Nice videos. :) I enjoyed them.

I don't main Pikachu so feel free to disregard my opinions if you feel they're wrong. :p But one thing I noticed is that your Fair attempts when the opponent is on the ground often get blocked and then your opponent can easily attack or throw you. 3:10 to 3:15 in the Meta Knight video is an example of this. It looks obvious that's what you're going to do and Meta Knight had plenty of time to shield and then KO you when you hit the ground. I'm not sure if there are better options but that's one thing that seems to hurt you a bit from what I've seen.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice videos. :) I enjoyed them.

I don't main Pikachu so feel free to disregard my opinions if you feel they're wrong. :p But one thing I noticed is that your Fair attempts when the opponent is on the ground often get blocked and then your opponent can easily attack or throw you. 3:10 to 3:15 in the Meta Knight video is an example of this. It looks obvious that's what you're going to do and Meta Knight had plenty of time to shield and then KO you when you hit the ground. I'm not sure if there are better options but that's one thing that seems to hurt you a bit from what I've seen.
it's great to hear suggestions from players that don't main pikachu. I agree though. I was just about to point out the very same thing. your aerials when MK was on the ground were just too predictable. try QACing diagonally-then left/right into a dair on MK's backside, so he has a harder time grabbing you. (if that's the choice he makes) you can also mix it up a little by just shielding after the QA to throw him off balance.

Kinda(not really) like Mike said:I haven't fully decided to revert back to pikachu after maining him in melee. (I didn't want my choice of main in brawl to be a bias one, go ahead, call me disloyal :p) currently, i've mained lucario and olimar. I'm never switching from olimar entirely, but pikachu seems like he's much better in brawl than melee. He'd make a good counter to some of olimar's weaknesses. I've also been visiting these pikachu forums for some time finding out things I should try.

your not too shabby. keep it up. :laugh:

EDIT: i watched the rest of the videos(sooorry for not doing so before) and it seemed like you had the only problem I saw under control by the end of watching them all. I guess you only had that problem against MK for some reason. Is it because he pressures you better than the others did? Are you intimidated to come down so you panic? these are the kinds of questions everybody should be asking themselves about their own gameplay to improve themselves.

against G&W- it's not really something you're doing wrong, but I'd recommend these two things:
1) you did consecutive thunders in the same pattern. particularly in the second video at 33 seconds. try using the first thunder the way you did the first time. then use one just after jumping straight up. It can trick your opponent into thinking you're attempting to use thunder the same way you did the first time, so they'll fall farther in the same direction just like that G&W did. Instead, you hit them for anticipating something that you've already done.

2) don't go under the stage(particularly in tourney play) :). what if you mess up. you'd look dumb. It may be easy for you to do, but you're not perfect. no-one is. You're better than me btw.

keep up the good work.! I'd integrate more QACs into your gameplay. your quite good at pulling them off.

i have a question: what do you use as your c-stick?

Van Jones

Smash Lord
You + pikachu = win.

All you need to do is put some goggles on your pika. You will never lose. Its tha TRUFF!!!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Seriously anther you need a lot of help. Good thing I am here, Down B and Down a are your friends use them 99.9% percent of the time. The other .1% should be thunderjolt. All of Pika's other moves aren't worth using and will only get you killed easily. The best strategy I found is to stay in one spot and spam thunderjolt then when they approach you should just keep using Down a and Down b. I see it all the time and the people who use this strategy never lose.

Seriously though, you are amazing. I have seen a couple videos of you it seemed in a couple of matches you tried your hand with Lucario. You seemed to do better with Pika though. You use QuAC so well.

Anther

Smash Champion
Thanksies for the tips DanGR, Mike35, and Thebnb XD.

I use the normal c-stick.. too hard to do all the aerials I want otherwise.

Glad yall are enjoying the vids though =].

DanGR, Mike35: I dunno what was going on vs Metaknight... Cept that character is broken XD. I noticed I did do a lot of relatively silly moves in that match though that would've been much better as shield grabs or something... Maybe one day I'll get decent against meta x_X.

I soo disagree with the under the stage thing. Any one match in melee where I quick attacked to the ledge was way more dangerous than going under the stage in this one XD. I actually suicide more doing ledgehopped thunders for some reason T__T.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanksies for the tips DanGR, Mike35, and Thebnb XD.

I use the normal c-stick.. too hard to do all the aerials I want otherwise.

I soo disagree with the under the stage thing. Any one match in melee where I quick attacked to the ledge was way more dangerous than going under the stage in this one XD. I actually suicide more doing ledgehopped thunders for some reason T__T.
normal c-stick=smashes? i use attack for my c-stick, any reason to switch?

melee's a lot different. I don't see how using QA is more dangerous than going to the other side. it's alright if you want to, but that's just my advice.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
you still suck.

<3
Ooo, what does he suck? He must suck one of Diddy's bananas. They are great to learn to deep throat on. Btw your Pickachu ***** hardcore, you just brutally ***** them man good job. Dude I can't get all your brutal **** out of my head! I wish someone can just come over to my house and chain me up and give it all they've got. Oh God! I can't wait any longer!

Will you be my friend? I haven't got any friends. Well last year I think I had one friend. We talked for 1 minute and then he left. I have not spoken to anyone since. Hhmmm... I just want somebody who can understand me. No one seems to understand me anymore. Do you know what I mean?

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Dude I can't get all your brutal **** out of my head! I wish someone can just come over to my house and chain me up and give it all they've got. Oh God! I can't wait any longer!
Uh, wtf?:confused:

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Anther, I am playing more and more like you although I'm sure I'm not as control-disciplined as you are.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I think your quick attack habits will actually benefit you in this new game.

But you still do it too much, I feel.

That, or not nearly enough. Perhaps ONLY move with quick attack from now on.

Anther

Smash Champion
lol they really do Zig-Zag. My new vids from a tourney today have some pretty stupid sweet stuff going on XD...

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
lol they really do Zig-Zag. My new vids from a tourney today have some pretty stupid sweet stuff going on XD...
I havent gotten to play anyone really good yet in brawl, sans wifi. I have trained this one guy who plays a crazy snake, which has sort of made me hate snake...but whatever.

Ima stay with darkrain soon and get me some DK training. Also, Im not super keen on all the quick attack things yet, but Im still doing pretty well with brawl Pika. We'll see how this goes a few months from now.

Still think sometimes you overdo the quick attack stuff, when simple attacks would suffice. Thanks for the videos though, Ive learned a bit.

EDIT: why do you have that dumb lucario head on your name? Take that **** off

Top Bottom