• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
peach's dress no longer has pantyloons, just a black void and stubs for legs.
Gonna cry now.

I'll always remember the day Peach made me a man.

Also, I was vehemently opposed to DLC because I hate buying a game over and over. But God damn this roster made me change my mind.

Character DLC pls

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Everything about this game's so terrible, I can't even begin to describe it, but the worst thing has to be the roster.

DarkPit&DrMariooverRidley/10

That's my score.
And in SSB64, Jigglypuff got in over Bowser/Mewtwo/Whoever. In Melee, Dr. Mario got in over King Dedede. In Brawl, Toon Link got in over Skull Kid, ROB got in over Ridley, "Lucario replaced Mewtwo".

Literally every smash game is going to have characters in that you don't want, and is going to be missing characters that you do. But since you're here, I'm assuming you didn't mind the fact that Ridley/Mewtwo/K.Rool weren't in any of the other games, barring Mewtwo in Melee, right?

The fact that you'd rather have nothing over clone characters is also absurd.

Either way, this game looks awesome, Dark Pit is definitely the worst part about the roster, but only because he's so bland, not because he detracts from the quality of it.

Maybe you're right though, maybe Mewtwo wasn't added because Sakurai thought they had too many 'clone' characters already. :A

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I've been watching Smash 4 streams for hours today and holding out hope. So far, this game looks terrible. Every problem from Brawl is here. Nothing has changed for the better. I don't get why people keep saying this is faster, first of all. Some characters are faster, some are slower. Ending lag is high, movement options are pitiful, knockback is comical, throws are useless, shields are too good, and the list goes on. The new ledge trump mechanic doesn't enrich game play, either. It makes attacking off stage too risky, thus encouraging on stage players to idly wait out their opponent's recovery. I suppose the ledge grab limit is good, though.

On top of that, the 3DS version, next to Brawl, is relatively barren. Online options are limited, and net play seems laggy. Admittedly, this might change when American streamers play on American servers. Brawl's track record suggests otherwise, though. The available stages are uninspired, occupying no functional niche, and just seem broken overall. The option to simplify stages to Final Destination+unique backgrounds is appreciated, but unfortunately doesn't accommodate Battle Field and Pokemon Stadium configurations. There are only two songs per a stage, and there is no option to load custom music. While the music is good, it will grow repetitive like in Melee. Thankfully, I doubt I'll play this game long enough to spoil its wonderful theme - Shoot me instead of ever humming "Ali Fama."

And to top it off, the roster isn't fantastic. It isn't bad, but a simple litmus test reveals its weakness - Would removing any of Smash 4's newcomer's in a hypothetical Smash 5 appall anybody? I don't think so. (Removing Murabito would be dumb, but he should have been in Brawl, anyways.)

At the end of the day, I don't see why a die hard Smash fan would want this game to be like this.

Venting done.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I've been watching Smash 4 streams for hours today and holding out hope. So far, this game looks terrible. Every problem from Brawl is here. Nothing has changed for the better. I don't get why people keep saying this is faster, first of all. Some characters are faster, some are slower. Ending lag is high, movement options are pitiful, knockback is comical, throws are useless, shields are too good, and the list goes on. The new ledge trump mechanic doesn't enrich game play, either. It makes attacking off stage too risky, thus encouraging on stage players to idly wait out their opponent's recovery. I suppose the ledge grab limit is good, though.

On top of that, the 3DS version, next to Brawl, is relatively barren. Online options are limited, and net play seems laggy. Admittedly, this might change when American streamers play on American servers. Brawl's track record suggests otherwise, though. The available stages are uninspired, occupying no functional niche, and just seem broken overall. The option to simplify stages to Final Destination+unique backgrounds is appreciated, but unfortunately doesn't accommodate Battle Field and Pokemon Stadium configurations. There are only two songs per a stage, and there is no option to load custom music. While the music is good, it will grow repetitive like in Melee. Thankfully, I doubt I'll play this game long enough to spoil its wonderful theme - Shoot me instead of ever humming "Ali Fama."

And to top it off, the roster isn't fantastic. It isn't bad, but a simple litmus test reveals its weakness - Would removing any of Smash 4's newcomer's in a hypothetical Smash 5 appall anybody? I don't think so. (Removing Murabito would be dumb, but he should have been in Brawl, anyways.)

At the end of the day, I don't see why a die hard Smash fan would want this game to be like this.

Venting done.
Technically the game's not out - it's almost 2 am where I live - and mostly Japan has it so of course the online is barren since it's not everyone yet. Also, I thought shields were weaker in this game. As for the game being faster, I think people meant "fluid". For an example, look at Devil May Cry 3 and compare it to Devil May Cry. Due to game evolution, DMC3 is much more fluid and over-the-top than DMC1 which was based more on a Resident Evil 4 draft.

As for SSB4's newcomers, since Greninja is the "new Charizard", I bet people, especially Pokémon fans will be angry if he doesn't show up - just look at Mewtwo. Little Mac's also a beloved character overseas and he has a unique move set which is another reason why people are upset Wolf's not in the game. Rosalina's well, I like her and so do many people, and since she's gaining many roles in Mario games, I think people would feel disappointed if she doesn't come back along with her being the first puppeteer character. Palutena works in a sense that she and Pit were the main characters of the first Kid Icarus, so she's like Zelda as Link is to Pit. I think she'll stay due to history, but the Ice Climbers are gone so... Dark Pit on the other hand, people don't care since he was horribly portrayed - half of Uprising weapons is left untouched - and people think it's Sakurai-biased despite the fact he only made on Kid Icarus game: Uprising, while Palutena and Pit existed long before that. Lucina is on the same boat of being horribly portrayed since not only does she have her own battle stance, she fights differently in her own game. Robin has the decency of having a unique set, but since Robin's a one-time character and a player-created character, I don't know even though people like Robin.

Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are those retro characters. Duck Hunt will probably stay, since he's first-party, while the other two might not which is a shame since they are unique and because Capcom hasn't done a thing with Mega Man for a long time. Hell, this is his most recent appearance. I can't say much about Bowser Jr. nor Shulk who due to Nintendo's idiotic decision, made it so few know about him - a comment wondered if Shulk was some Japan-only BS. Now, people will either know him through SSB or the first game for the New 3DS. I don't know if Shulk will stay since Xenoblade Chronicles's sequel doesn't star him kind of like how Final Fantasy shares a title, but most of them are unrelated. People will probably be vocal about him, though... Geez, he reminds me of Cloud Strife and how everyone claims FFVII is the best game ever and Cloud's the best character ever in the entire universe.

The Villager was a surprise and ended up with a meme. Along with being a lone representer of a Nintendo-franchise, I think the Villager will stay kind of like how Captain Falcon was barely known, but became famous for his over-the-top moves and quotes. Wii Fit Trainer is really iffy since even though WFT is from a first-party franchise, it's not one where there's "actual" characters like Metroid or Zelda. Even though WFT has a unique set, the issue is does Wii Fit warrant a character at all. Not just a Smash character, but an actual character who is the face of a fitness game. While WFT will gain fans, I don't know if people will miss WFT as dearly as they will miss say, Greninja, Bowser Jr., Mewtwo, the Ice Climbers, or even Lucina considering the poor portrayal of her.

Anyway, SSB4 for the 3DS is that a 3DS game and I do not expect tons of stuff from it. It'll just be a game to have fun (and wait for the Wii U version). The Wii U edition will be that game chock full of music, stages, online gameplay, etc. Also, with DLC being a norm and fighting games or games in general having much more expensive and longer development times, I won't be surprised if SSB4 gets DLC which may add characters that become well-received along with returning characters.

My advice on games: Don't say anything until the final product and you've played as much as possible. Seeing isn't everything and early streamers are usually not good. You should have seen early Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes gameplay. It was a horrible and painful.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I think the worst thing is that the Veteran Fighters were just copy & pasted from brawl with minor changes when they really could have used it. Not just to make them better, but also for relevance, consistency, & accuracy.

That, and no separate Stamina Mode, either.

The salt on SmashBoards could fill a lake.
Not just Smashboards. Look up the threads on other Nintendo sites(DKVine, Zelda Universe, Wario Forums, Pokebeach, etc.).

capn'

Smash Rookie
Honestly, as happy as I am to see Bowser Jr. in Sm4sh with an amazingly unique moveset.. I can't help but feel salty that Sakurai set him up to be an alternate skin for the Koopalings.

I know he's the one in the character slot, but it just feels like the Koopalings steal the spotlight. No true colour swaps for my guy is also kind of frustrating, I don't want to be forced into Roy/Ludwig/Lemmy if I'm playing doubles. For how unlikely he was, and how hyped I became with his tease in the ESRB leak... The Koopaling alts just kill it for me *sigh.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
they kept 99% of the taunts from brawl
was hoping for something new there

Spirst

The fact that there seems to be a lot of recycled Brawl content definitely worsens my overall view of the game. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but it definitely won't feel as novel as it would have had the sound effects and stuff been revamped. Honest to god, I'm hoping the Wii U version is way more polished than the current state of the 3DS version. If it isn't, and is just like the 3DS version except with HD graphics, it will be a huge miss by Nintendo to capitalize upon the better hardware of the Wii U and push that as far as they can go. I just don't dig the idea of downplaying what superior hardware can do in order to have it developed equally alongside an inferior handheld.

Last edited:

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
The lack of an Adventure Mode and Events are a major bummer. Those were two of my favorite modes in Melee. I seriously hope Events are in the Wii U version, and I'm not going to hope for some sort of Adventure mode since I believe Sakurai said SSB4 isn't having one.
Oh, and all of the people complaining about clones and how *insertcharacterhere* didn't make it in. While I agree that less clones and more original characters would've been nice, the way that some people are overreacting about it is getting kind of old. Hopefully there will be DLC that will add in more characters.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
All the 3DS footage on Youtube right now. 3DS footage belongs on the 3DS and nothing else. It's disgusting.

Last edited:

Judgeth_Dredd

Smash Rookie
I have a few complaints:

Stages

Maybe I've been spoiled by PM, but the lack of neutral stages is a big bummer to me. Sure we have FD mode, but that feels like sakurai was trolling us with the whole 'fox only' joke. Even then. Most of the stages are just 'tourist' stages. You're usually on a raised platform that transforms as you go around the area.

Gameplay

This game seems to favor a defensive play style. Not my cup of tea.

Roster

The clones are probably the worst of any smash game. Dark Pit? Really?

Booster

Smash Lord
The roster has to do it for me. WAY too many clones considering Brawl cut down on them, too many joke characters taking up slots for real characters people wanted like K. Rool, Ridley, Isacc and Mewtwo and Wii Fit Trainer sucks.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Seriously, reading this page...Have any of you actually played the game? And if so, do any of your comments even hold up? The game has been out for less than 48 hours, there is no meta. It can't even "favor" a style of play yet because the relatively worse version of the game is the only version out and those few who have gotten it are still getting used to it.
Jesus, this is worse than the Brawl backlash. If you all seriously have this many complaints them just don't bother with it because you're ruining the experience for those of us who do enjoy it.

Booster

Smash Lord
Seriously, reading this page...Have any of you actually played the game? And if so, do any of your comments even hold up? The game has been out for less than 48 hours, there is no meta. It can't even "favor" a style of play yet because the relatively worse version of the game is the only version out and those few who have gotten it are still getting used to it.
Jesus, this is worse than the Brawl backlash. If you all seriously have this many complaints them just don't bother with it because you're ruining the experience for those of us who do enjoy it.
Get out and never come back to this thread.

Grovfu

Smash Rookie
NNID
XMister_RatburnX
My vision on clones still remain the same: they're okay. We've had them in literally every Smash game so far, so to see them in Smash 4, not to mention how little of an amount there are in this installment, I'm not really affected that much. I'm happy with the entire roster.

If there's anything I'm severely ticked about, though, it's a tie between the lack of a story/adventure mode, for glory mode being FD exclusive (a misconception about the competitive community by casual players), and the considerable release date gap between both consoles and continents. I understand the continents part, but if we had to push the 3DS release a whole season, we might as well have waited for the Wii U version.

Honestly, I kind of agree with Gameboi834. There's a lot of early yet heavy judgement laid on this game and it's been out for maybe a day. Sorry your favorite characters didn't get in, but if they didn't, they're probably not very important to Nintendo, and if that's not the case, it's probably because Sakurai doesn't like them. Just saying.

Tony Montana

Smash Rookie
I am disappointed that some characters didn't make it in, like Mewtwo, by far he was the most wanted veteran and he didn't even make it in the game (and Ridley is a boss character). Also fountain of dreams isn't a stage that we can play on.

Either way those are only two problems I have with the game so far, everything else I have seen in the game looks really good.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Way too many recycled sound effects and music... especially the victory fanfares. Ness's victory fanfare is lame.

Balmora

Smash Rookie
Way too many recycled sound effects and music... especially the victory fanfares. Ness's victory fanfare is lame.
I agree. I was really hoping for something similar to Ness's victory theme from Melee. On the bright side, at least all of the new music that plays on the Magicant stage is fantastic.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
The game so far has an incredible amount of negatives, and I agree with alot of people in this thread.(Minus Jiggly's face. It's adorable.) Hopefully it's positives will shine bright enough to cast off the negatives. I still believe there's that chance.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
We STILL don't have a Wii U release date. November's almost here. Why don't we have a specific date yet?

Malle

Smash Apprentice
The game does look faster and more refined, I sat watching the streams since they started. Multiple streams even, its definitely going to be a game better than Brawl. But I'm gonna put out some of my pros and cons regarding my thoughts

Starting with the negatives, seeing as its a.. Stream of them
- Clone: Yes, I think clones are fine, but when it comes to the point where original characters such as Wolf and Lucas (who both could be remade for the better, like removing some clone-like attacks) suffer then its just absurd.
- Joke Characters: Joke characters ain't my pitch, but many appreciate them, especially retro characters. But honestly, there's too many retro being introduced for MY FLAVOR.
- Lack of Villians: I can't stress this enough, Smash is a game where a good opportunity to play the bad guys is at hand.. Bowser's play is the only good one I've seen so far, even though I like Meta Knight's new tweaks (if we can call him villian). Very sad about Ganondorf being his Brawl incarnation.
- Lack of Solid Stages: I feel like there needs to be some more unique stages, its basically what others said already > Moving area and so forth. I believe Wii U version will be a salvation for this, seeing as we problaby dont even know half the Wii U stages.
- Weird Modes: Throughout many PotD's we've seen many modes, I am pretty sure I won't even play them more than once. It just feels so unrelated to Smash, like they wanted to implement existing games into it for some reason. Should been more modes like customizeable Stamina Mode or Fun stuff like Everstacking Giantism (Everyone knows that Brawl Hack, FUN TIMES).

Positives
+ Gameplay: Way better mechanics. Some characters retain floatiness and others fall quickly, its all about playstyle, but no matter what it is still faster. Also all this endless complaint about landing lag bores me, its drastically been decreased, landing lag is supposed to exist for good reasons. There's always Melee for those people.
+ Classic Mode: Classic mode is shorter, I appreciate that, but whats most amazing about this whole thing is right now.... MASTER CORE, such an impressive encounter, this puts an example of a good boss in Smash. He couldn't work like a stage boss due to many reasons, however the idea would be awesome.
+ Effects: While its a minor one, few problaby even care about it, but when I listen to the effects for like when Mario does his aerial back-kick it feels so incredibly hard, the sound of impact makes it feel powerful, and Brawl, Melee and Smash 64 all lacked this in my opinion.
+ Future of Online Mode: This is going to be the best thing ever, now I don't need to have people over at my appartment to play vs good as bad players. Now I can just hook up to the internet and get that **** going. Hopefully the servers won't be a disaster, seeing as how Smash Bros is literally Nintendo's biggest thing this opportunity shouldn't go to waste.
+ DLC, Updates & Patches: Smash is Nintendo's bread and butter these days, they can make tons of money alone with DLC, and it will expand the fun we have for a generation. I can see a lot of interesting things coming, characters, stages, music and more.

Well. I guess thats all.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
The Belief that DLC will happen or Wii U will have exclusive characters
Thats the worst? I dont think the layout of the roster is supposed to look like that, its completely a disaster and cannot possibly be a "fashion choice" If you look at the CSS from previous games.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Them blast zones on the 3DS version. I don't believe the Wii U will be the same, it wasn't like that during the Invitational right? But yea I'm seeing characters live at ridiculously high percents. People going to 200%+ on BF while getting hit by seemingly "strong attacks". With that as well as zoning characters like DHD and Mega man will make the game significantly slower than Brawl, where it takes more than 5 minutes to remove a single stock.

Booster

Smash Lord
Sakurai has lost touch with what people want, Wii Fit Trainer for example is taking up a VERY valuable slot for someone people would actually want such as:

Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Isacc

She is easily the biggest troll character in any fighting game to date, Sakurai knew people wouldn't want her, but knew people would want any of the Forbidden Four in her place. No one can justify her spot, she's not a clone in any way at all and come on she isn't even rendered properly xP

Thor

Smash Champion
Sakurai has lost touch with what people want, Wii Fit Trainer for example is taking up a VERY valuable slot for someone people would actually want such as:

Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Isacc

She is easily the biggest troll character in any fighting game to date, Sakurai knew people wouldn't want her, but knew people would want any of the Forbidden Four in her place. No one can justify her spot, she's not a clone in any way at all and come on she isn't even rendered properly xP
I like Wii Fit Trainer and I don't like any of the last 3 at all and there are other characters I want over Mewtwo anyway. Duck Hunt Dog is slightly more trollish in my opinion because many felt it was him over ICs and I've been reading some stuff that states he actually did reasonably deserve a slot.

Also I can't believe people are already coming up with reasons to dislike the game. I know tons of people want to be freaking Meleefags but you don't need to crap on Smash 4 at the same time - let's not make it Melee vs Smash 4 like it was with Melee vs Brawl, mkay?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Isacc

A LOT of people like WFT, my friend included and I don't mind her/him either. she/he is a nice addition.

Booster

Smash Lord
How can people like the Wii Fit Trainer? She stole a slot from a character who actually deserved to be in.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834

Mewtwo
K. Rool
Ridley
Isacc

Speak for yourself. I for one can't wait to play as the Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I will try her out atleast once, she's atleast original unlike Doctor Mario (Although I do like his Viagra Beam Final Smash and how he comes into battle from Pills)

Anyways, I don't see why people hate the 3DS stages, they look very creative and colorful

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Venting done.
You've clearly been watching terrible streams.

67% combos, true spikes, no tripping (!), air dodging is more punishable into the ground but slightly safer mid-air (!), ending lag on many characters is rather low (Samus), shielding was actually just terrible in Melee and it's more reasonable now, ledge-trumping actually encourages going off-stage (because you can't just be ledge-hogged if you mess up), there are several fine stages (at least 3 come to mind right now plus all the FD variants, and there are more I'm sure because I haven't cared as much about stage lists when watching people play), and seriously? You care about the music? First, the Wii U will have more songs, and so what, would this game suck if it played exactly like Melee but the entire thing was muted or had two songs? XD XD XD There is a mute button anyway if you're worried about repetitiveness (or music might grow on you - Dreamland 64 does for a fair number of people).

Removing Shulk, Mega Man, Bowser Junior, and/or Palutena would appall a LOT of people I know, so your litmus test is either genuinely terrible or else very influenced by your circle of acquaintances and doesn't hold up elsewhere.

I'm a diehard Smash fan and I want this game because it's a new version of Smash that isn't just meant to be like Melee [as good a game as that is], but an actual game of its own that clearly has competitive worth - and that appeals very much to me.

How can people like the Wii Fit Trainer? She stole a slot from a character who actually deserved to be in.
Last I checked this game is basically Nintendo characters relevant to Nintendo history (or something like that) - as an iconic game (for better or for worse) that got a sequel and sold reasonably well not just with younger crowds, she had a good claim to this game.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
You've clearly been watching terrible streams.

67% combos, true spikes, no tripping (!), air dodging is more punishable into the ground but slightly safer mid-air (!), ending lag on many characters is rather low (Samus), shielding was actually just terrible in Melee and it's more reasonable now, ledge-trumping actually encourages going off-stage (because you can't just be ledge-hogged if you mess up), there are several fine stages (at least 3 come to mind right now plus all the FD variants, and there are more I'm sure because I haven't cared as much about stage lists when watching people play), and seriously? You care about the music? First, the Wii U will have more songs, and so what, would this game suck if it played exactly like Melee but the entire thing was muted or had two songs? XD XD XD There is a mute button anyway if you're worried about repetitiveness (or music might grow on you - Dreamland 64 does for a fair number of people).

Removing Shulk, Mega Man, Bowser Junior, and/or Palutena would appall a LOT of people I know, so your litmus test is either genuinely terrible or else very influenced by your circle of acquaintances and doesn't hold up elsewhere.

I'm a diehard Smash fan and I want this game because it's a new version of Smash that isn't just meant to be like Melee [as good a game as that is], but an actual game of its own that clearly has competitive worth - and that appeals very much to me.

Last I checked this game is basically Nintendo characters relevant to Nintendo history (or something like that) - as an iconic game (for better or for worse) that got a sequel and sold reasonably well not just with younger crowds, she had a good claim to this game.
Yeah if you were into a Yoga Simulator, I would've chosen Mewtwo instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom