• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booster

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I should have read what The Real Gamer posted above me. But I didn't, so got infracted. Don't fall for my error!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, no one wants Dr. Mario.
Well call me no one, but I kinda do, just because I liked the more weighty moveset he had. (That, plus no F.L.U.D.)

So far the worst part about Smash 4 is the lack of a known single-player plotline. As cheesy and fan-fictiony as it was, I enjoyed Subspace's story, although it could have used some work (for starters, drop the whole 'replay the game/great maze' section.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lack of a story mode is pretty much the only feature (or rather, lack thereof) that's been announced that I actively dislike, and I don't like the claimed reasoning for it. Though I won't mind as much if we get character endings akin to Tekken (even if they are just extended versions of the pre-rendered sections of the trailers), or if we get an expansive action-platformer mode on Wii U anyway (I'll get around to fleshing out my Super Smash World topic soon, for those wondering about that. I've got a bad case of the flu right now though, and don't want to do extensive Photoshop work or extensive write-ups since I can hardly think straight).

And I'll just say that if Rayman is just a trophy and not playable, it will be incredibly bittersweet to the point where I'd wish he wasn't included, even though making him a trophy is a nice gesture.

Booster

Smash Lord
Lack of a story mode is pretty much the only feature (or rather, lack thereof) that's been announced that I actively dislike, and I don't like the claimed reasoning for it. Though I won't mind as much if we get character endings akin to Tekken (even if they are just extended versions of the pre-rendered sections of the trailers), or if we get an expansive action-platformer mode on Wii U anyway (I'll get around to fleshing out my Super Smash World topic soon, for those wondering about that. I've got a bad case of the flu right now though, and don't want to do extensive Photoshop work or extensive write-ups since I can hardly think straight).

And I'll just say that if Rayman is just a trophy and not playable, it will be incredibly bittersweet to the point where I'd wish he wasn't included, even though making him a trophy is a nice gesture.
They'll make him playable...though DLC, the Rayman trophy was created recently, unless they decided to make him playable early on while they were deciding the final roster, we won't see him for awhile

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link and Lucina being clones is my biggest problem. especially given we now have customizable movesets, so leaving the base movesets essentially unchanged just really wrings badly with me as I absolutely DESPISE clones.

There's also Gematsu, which was a cancer on the Smash community, actually really killed off a lot of my hype for the game, until Monday's trailer shot it into microscopic smithereeens and allowed us to be legitimately surprised again.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I almost forgot; Home Run Contest being 3DS-exclusive. That got on my nerves.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The worst part so far: Palutena.
I'll report you to Hades immediately for that.

Worst part: No villains. Where are the villains? Bowser and Ganondorf are the only Nintendo villains in the Smash series. I want to see Medusa or Hades. Ghirahim. Galactica Knight. King K Rool. Ridley. Anyone worthy.

PS: King DeDeDe and Meta Knight aren't really villains anymore- they're Kirby's friends now despite their past. Such progression. And Wario is an anti-hero.

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I almost forgot; Home Run Contest being 3DS-exclusive. That got on my nerves.
I don't remember them saying that Home Run contest was only on 3DS, it's just that so far they've only shown it on 3DS. Do you have a link for that?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't remember them saying that Home Run contest was only on 3DS, it's just that so far they've only shown it on 3DS. Do you have a link for that?
Yeah, I don't think it was ever implied to be 3DS exclusive. We can Google it together :D

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Lucina, she basically seems like a easier to use Marth and I feel like there were better choices of characters then this clone.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
To the ones who played it: Is SSB4 relying more on defensive gameplay like Brawl did,
more offensive like Melee or is there a smooth balance between the two?
I ask because I heard the former from some people, but they played it directly after Melee/Project M.
I don't like campers in Brawl, since matches will get boring fast and they have a better chance to win playing defensively.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Worst part: No villains. Where are the villains? Bowser and Ganondorf are the only Nintendo villains in the Smash series. I want to see Medusa or Hades. Ghirahim. Galactica Knight. King K Rool. Ridley. Anyone worthy.

PS: King DeDeDe and Meta Knight aren't really villains anymore- they're Kirby's friends now despite their past. Such progression. And Wario is an anti-hero.
I don't really think Galacta Knight's a villain. Is he incredibly dangerous and extraordinarily powerful? Oh yes. Is he evil? Probably not, but we don't know for sure. Literally all we know about him is that he's really strong and from another time period.

I personally subscribe to the theory that he's Kirby grown up.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't really think Galacta Knight's a villain. Is he incredibly dangerous and extraordinarily powerful? Oh yes. Is he evil? Probably not, but we don't know for sure. Literally all we know about him is that he's really strong and from another time period.

I personally subscribe to the theory that he's Kirby grown up.
You have a point. Meta Knight only faced him because he wanted to be the strongest in the universe or something. He just came to mind as a villain.

I haven't read that theory on Kirby being Galacta Knight had Kirby not been awaken far early (according to the anime) but it wouldn't be surprising. I'm thinking the star warriors all look similar and would be different identities despite being the same color.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Lack of Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Kirby content.
Lack of content overall on Wii U version.

Senario

Smash Ace
To the ones who played it: Is SSB4 relying more on defensive gameplay like Brawl did,
more offensive like Melee or is there a smooth balance between the two?
I ask because I heard the former from some people, but they played it directly after Melee/Project M.
I don't like campers in Brawl, since matches will get boring fast and they have a better chance to win playing defensively.
So far yes it seems like defensive options outweigh offense ones. Who know what will change or if we will get balance patches. That said, game isn't finished yet so there is hope that Nintendo can push for a more exciting smash game since their American branch seems to support the scene.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
So far yes it seems like defensive options outweigh offense ones. Who know what will change or if we will get balance patches. That said, game isn't finished yet so there is hope that Nintendo can push for a more exciting smash game since their American branch seems to support the scene.
Thanks mate. I'll try it out next month for myself. Maybe we'll get a newer build of the demo where things changed.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
King Dedede's one of em. And arguably Wario.
King Dedede isn't really a villain anymore (I made a disclaimer about him, MK and Wario in that post).

Lots of the recent Kirby games the antagonist are either Dark Matters or some form entity that invades Pop Star.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The lack of story mode, some of the characters aren't interesting, and Mario not getting a new final smash or at least a customizable move to replace F.L.U.D.D... but other than that I think everything is great! I hear classic and all-star mode are coming back, so maybe they'll put another one on the wii u that's like smash run.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Shulk being debunked too
I'm curious as to what you will do once you see he is in. Just some evidences are:
1-The Monolith retweet (it's not like they for sure knew exactly who was going to be revealed)
2-He's already a massively popular character, and we know Sakurai knows some of what's going on with us
3-New Xenoblade game that Nintendo is massively hyping up

It's not like he was in the Gematsu leak out of nowhere :laugh:

Aaand to not be off-topic, I don't like the possibility of Home Run Contest being 3DS exclusive:c

Last edited:

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
I think "massively popular" is being far too generous for Shulk. Xenoblade sold much less than Fire Emblem Awakening outside Japan and half the comments for Robin's reveal were "Who the heck is Robin?"

Last edited:

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
For me it's the lack of any more Metroid representation. Fire Emblem has 4 playables, and Metroid has 2. One of Metroid's characters is also just a sexualized version of the greatest video game heroine of all time, and it annoys me to no end.

Also, the only stage that Metroid gets is from the worst game in the series by far. So not only is Metroid getting snubbed for new material, but the material it gets is tripe from it's worst game.

Really pisses me off. Dark Samus should've been playable, and we should have gotten a cool stage from one of the Prime games. Game has a chance to redeem itself with Ridley, but my guess is it will be his awful Other M design as a boss character. I'll probably go into an anger coma after that.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Of the game itself, some unfortunate physics.

Of the announcement process, not knowing if we're going secret characters or not. I'd like to be surprised as I play.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
To be honest, revealing 90% of the newcomers before release. What I loved about Melee was that the only veterans unlockable were Jigglypuff and Luigi, I was curious when I first played Melee because I was wondering were the hidden characters. Brawl ruined that when they went overboard on revealing new characters before release and most of the unlockables ended up being veterans. I kind of wished Pac Man was the last newcomer announced before release and the only one at e3 and every other newcomer was secret. Although the internet would ruin the surprise anyway.

Toadmode

Smash Rookie
The nerfed Marth and not seeing Falco confirmed yet. Even if I don't use him much I've always enjoyed him when I did play him.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Miis are kinda disappointing. Also stage bosses are dumb. And all the extremely gimmicky stage stuff.

The character uniqueness has been top-notch so far though.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The overarching amount of very noticeable landing lag. I'm afraid the game is going to be too slow.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
For me it's the lack of any more Metroid representation. Fire Emblem has 4 playables, and Metroid has 2. One of Metroid's characters is also just a sexualized version of the greatest video game heroine of all time, and it annoys me to no end.

Also, the only stage that Metroid gets is from the worst game in the series by far. So not only is Metroid getting snubbed for new material, but the material it gets is tripe from it's worst game.

Really pisses me off. Dark Samus should've been playable, and we should have gotten a cool stage from one of the Prime games. Game has a chance to redeem itself with Ridley, but my guess is it will be his awful Other M design as a boss character. I'll probably go into an anger coma after that.
I don't blame your disappointment, but you have to understand that Other M is current with the series. So they pretty much based most of the references from that game. Not that it is a bad thing since Other M as a game was still pretty decent and the character model wasn't all that bad (I don't think Ridley was too atrocious in that game, but I'm not going to argue about it). The storyline itself is what kill the game for most people (assuming they actually played it and not just watch the heated videos about it). Like it or not, seems like Sakurai/Nintendo having a hard time adding in a playable Metroid character. I'm not saying it's not possible, but just very unlikely for any more to pop up in the direction we're going for new characters. Don't forget we have Mother Brain as an AT as well, so it's just one more in the Metroid rep box and we still haven't seen all of the stages yet. Dark Samus would've been nice, but I guess they didn't have a solid moveset to work well with the physics for this Smash Bros. If it doesn't work out well this game, then there's always next time.

If Baby Ridley was playable, I would laugh my butt off but would be totally invested in the idea. He's so cute.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
*Shudder* Please don't.

I'll probably warm up to Palutena eventually. One, regardless of her worthiness for inclusion, she'll surely end up being fun to play; and two, I expect the roster will end up being big enough so that a few "oddball" characters won't seem so out of place.

Mariotehplumber

Banned via Warnings
NNID
JohnMTP
I kinda agree with him but at the same time I don't want to come across as salty as him. It's definitely not as extreme as he's making it out to be.

Also, no one wants Dr. Mario.
It is extreme but apparently I am not aloud to speak my mind on such obvious content being advertised in this game because some people have a bias to this sort of thing. However everyone wants Dr. Mario to return to smash because hes the best character in melee. He can return as well seeing as Lucina can get in as being a faster clone of Marth. Sakarai just lied again for adding no clones like he did for brawl.

Last edited:

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
For me, It'd have to be the fact that they put so much emphasis on character reveals instead of going into detail with new game mechanics.
Doing the latter helps alleviate spoiling the entire game while still squeezing out bits of new information with something to actually discuss about, and help reassure people's qualm on how the game is gonna be played.

Runner up is the lackluster title... coming from something like Super Smash Brothers then Melee then Brawl to just....for Wii U/3DS is just lazy imo. Mayhem or Rumble are better choices than "insert console here tm"

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I feel like worst part as of now is how stingy they are with veterans. Characters like Wario and Ice Climbers, and characters I mained like Meta Knight not getting revealed yet gets me worried. Like, REALLY worried.

Shinryuenjin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shinryuenjin
It bugs me that some of the newcomers aren't very expressive. Dedede has much more emotion this time around, but Palutena and Lucina feel lifeless. I'm hoping that all this means is these tweaks haven't been done yet; Mega Man seemed to get more expressive over the course of development
Not lifeless. Stoic. There is a difference. I've played their respective games and neither characters are very expressive.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I have a new worst part:

The possibility that Gematsu had a negative effect on the game's quality... or that Sakurai let it.

You probably heard by now that Lucina was meant to be a Marth costume, changed to a new character slot possibly to replace one that was cut mid-development on short notice.

I don't know who I'm more angry at - Sal Romano, for making Sakurai feel the need to make a cut and add a complete clone, or Sakurai himself for carrying it out.

Note that I know this is just a possibility and not certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom