• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Buzzword/Term the Smash community ever uses

Which buzzword/term the smash community uses incorrectly/inaccurately the most

• Total voters

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
The Smash community uses buzzwords/terms a lot, so they came up with as many buzzwords/terms as they can think of.
Some correctly/accurately whiling others not so much, plus they use so many of the as i said before, so which buzzword/term do you hate the that smash community uses most?

EDIT: i added the terms "Filler" and "Bandwagon/Trend" now that i think about those, vote for those 2 as you will

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Anime for sure. People are already assuming that since Persona got an anime, then Goku might join Smash.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Man these are all tough. I will say that "Literally Who?" "Generic Anime Swordsman", "Irrelevant", and "Deserve".

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think “Slap in the face” should go up here too.

It’s by far the worst one because it really doesn’t mean anything anymore, but people still act like it does.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Not satisfying" and "not rewarding"

Just say you don't like it.

EDIT: I used multiple votes but "over-representation" is up there.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
"Lame" as in "he's playing lame". Using projectiles on a projectile character doesn't necessarily mean you are playing lame.

Also "Combo" is one i see used wrong a lot. a Combo is a series of attacks that link. Most maneuvers we call "combos" are really "strings".

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Slot: People say that there are fighter slots, and fighters take up one each. This is not true. Newcomers are decided from the start, no slots taken.

Weeb/Anime: While some games certainly are in anime-style, that doesn't take away from their character at all.

Iconic: Subjective, and can be bent to mean other or untrue things.

Relevant/Irrelevant: See iconic.

Deserve: See iconic. And technically, no one "deserves" to be in Smash, it's up to Sakurai, not a moral standard.

Bias: No one in the development team, not even Sakurai, has shown signs of bias (although there are some off inconsistencies, it's all speculation).

Shill: I've never seen this word unironically used in the Smash fanbase but I still hate it antway.

Nobody: Superlative, should not ever be used to make a point.

Guaranteed: This is one of the worst words to use to describe a speculated newcomer. It implies you can predict and tell the future.

All-star: See iconic.

Leaks: ANYONE CAN MAKE A FAKE LEAK.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
"Lame" as in "he's playing lame". Using projectiles on a projectile character doesn't necessarily mean you are playing lame.

Also "Combo" is one i see used wrong a lot. a Combo is a series of attacks that link. Most maneuvers we call "combos" are really "strings".
Hm? What's the difference between a string and a combo, then?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If the speculation thread has taught me anything, it's "deserve" and "guaranteed". They're both absolutes that result in either angry counter arguments or broken dreams.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, all of those are pretty irritating buzzwords, but I'd say the worst are Weeb/Anime, Slots, and Leaks.

I'd also add "Sword Character" to that list. This community has a phobia of characters that wield swords and it's the dumbest thing ever.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Hm? What's the difference between a string and a combo, then?
If at any point it is possible to escape the combo, it is now a string.

Yeah, its not a crazy huge distinction, nor does it even matter, it just gets my inner autism riled up.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Oh yeah, here's another one that I hate seeing. "Bandwagon" and other variants. Especially when used incorrectly.

On websites I see people calling characters who've been requested for years bandwagons yet as soon as some rumor or fake leak comes out ie: Dante, Katalina, those exact same people start jumping on that when they wouldn't have if that supposed leak/rumor came into light.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
A long time ago it was probably *****, of course many gamers were guilty of it.

Thankfully gamers overall seem to have finally stopped using that term.

I suppose if I had to think of something exclusively that the smash community overuses it’d probably be “broken” since Smashboards is now more of the main smash site for all fans, casual or competitive, when a new game shows up or a new character, plenty of casual players are quick to scream “BROKEN!” Over any new thing.

Another might be glitch, so many try to label things as glitches when they’re not (see; l-canceling and wavedashing)

Edit: guess I’m not surprised that was censored, but either way I’m glad people stopped using that term when referring to someone losing badly in a match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

“Rep” and “Slot” just completely ignore how the planning process for Smash works, they’re rather tone-deaf words.

“Deserve” also falls into this category. Nobody deserves to be in the game, you just want them.

Same thing for “Guaranteed”, “Relevant”, “Nobody” and “Iconic”.

“Leak” is a word that is thrown around as if it has absolutely no meaning. Leak should used sparingly, only for rumours that are confirmed to be real, not any old post on 4chan.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
A long time ago it was probably *****, of course many gamers were guilty of it.

Thankfully gamers overall seem to have finally stopped using that term.

I suppose if I had to think of something exclusively that the smash community overuses it’d probably be “broken” since Smashboards is now more of the main smash site for all fans, casual or competitive, when a new game shows up or a new character, plenty of casual players are quick to scream “BROKEN!” Over any new thing.

Another might be glitch, so many try to label things as glitches when they’re not (see; l-canceling and wavedashing)

Edit: guess I’m not surprised that was censored, but either way I’m glad people stopped using that term when referring to someone losing badly in a match.
what letter does that censored term starts with?
i'm curious

link2702

Smash Champion
what letter does that censored term starts with?
i'm curious
R

It really shouldn’t have ever been used.

Then again neither should of the term “gay” when referring to something annoying to play against.

...man I remember just how immature a lot of game communities used to be...

Combew

Smash Rookie
I'm with the term "weeb" because link and pit look pretty anime like, but they're obviously not from an anime (though that cutscene in palutena's trailer was pretty noice)

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Why is all-star a buzzword lol?
Honestly, I think "glitch" is the most relevant buzzword especially when people argue over Melee.

Top Bottom