• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
ringtone this ringtone that
try to label southern dance music
ringtone rap

oh bun b.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
In this thread, elitest hip-hop fans talk about overrated rappers like Pac, without even anything about the musical elements of rapping.

Unless anyone here actually knows who Double D and Steinski are, and why Herbie Handcock is important to hip-hop, I don't really think you should be posting in this thread.

And trust me, I've made grandfathers shut up about calling rap not music before, so you really don't want to try arguing with me about this, becuase I can guarantee you, you are vastly uninformed.

Also, rap is not in a horrible state.

We've got Aesop Rock, El-P, Flying Lotus, Cage, Roots Manuva, Tricky, Daedelus, Prefuse 73, Dabrye, Busdriver, Daddy Kev, DJ Nobody, Doseone, among many, many others.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
You're all forgetting the god fatehr

BIG L

Also Crashic, aren't you, by saying "IF WE DONT KNOW THESE PEOPLE WE DONT KNOW REAL RAP" making yourself an elitist among us?

I've heard of alot of your artists and you're right, they do represent what rap should be, but some rappers appeal to others in different ways, if you catch my drift.

Jane

Smash Hero
CRASHiC: uhh, i'm assuming that first comment was directed at Kingdom Come?

good to see more and more hiphopheads show their face on this thread, but uh, double d and steinski weren't THAT important, at least not enough to warrant a "know them or gtfo" statement lol. i don't know who herbie hancock is though.

also, i'd LOVE to hear how you shut grandpas up about hiphop lol, drop some knowledge! :D

KillaLotus: an east coast fan i see! big pun has some of the most tounge twisty (made up word) verses ever to come out of any emcees mouth. and yeah fat joe isn't what he used to be unfortunately...

kool g rap is so underrated i think, not enough people give him the recognition and props he deserves. 4,5,6 is one of my fav albums.

and as for nas, do i really have to say anything about nas that hasn't been said before? i listened to it was written earlier today for the first time in months... classic! underrated classic.

Jane

Smash Hero
IM DOUBLE POSTING AGAIN.

because big l. is a ****ing... if pun was a god, L was a ****ing MEGA TITAN.

words cannot express the love i have for big l...

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Big Pun Ft. Fat Joe(when joe was good) - Twinz(Deep Cover '98)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-okIgFd024

kool G Rap Ft. Nas - Fast Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4nyIUyf7Q

Fat Joe Ft. Nas, Big Pun, Jadakiss, & Raekwon - John Blaze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjB3W1e-edw

Lyrical Gods
They had some nice meeter, but that isn't my style of rap, so I can't judge beyound on that. I can definitatly recognize their flow though.

Also Crashic, aren't you, by saying "IF WE DONT KNOW THESE PEOPLE WE DONT KNOW REAL RAP" making yourself an elitist among us?

Except, what I am doing is asking people to be educated on the music they listen to, and am not asking that they like or dislike certain artist. I value music greatly, and get very annoyed to see so called 'pedistrians' in the musical world, who listen without exploring and educating themselves on the history and techniques they listen to. I am not saying it will change your opinion on what you will like, it will probably enhance it in most cases. I ask very high of people when it comes to music, because music is very important and person to me. I am also not saying music should be studied in order to be enjoyed, but to simply walk through music with no basis for your listening offends me greatly, especially when I see these same people make claims as to what is 'good' or 'true' or 'real' music.

I've heard of alot of your artists and you're right, they do represent what rap should be, but some rappers appeal to others in different ways, if you catch my drift.
I do, I was not meaning to imply that everyone should like Aesop Rock or DoseOne, but that they should give the time that music deserves to be looked into a full extent.

but uh, double d and steinski weren't THAT important, at least not enough to warrant a "know them or gtfo" statement lol. i don't know who herbie hancock is though..
DD and Stein made the first album made entirely from samples, and introduced many samples you can still hear today, even in main stream hip-hop like Missy Elliot.

As for Herbie Handcock, he mostly makes Jazz, but he made a hip-hop album with Grand Master DXT, and in it they created the idea as the turntable as the lead, melodic instrument. The song was called Rock It, and its performance at The Grammys, was one of hip-hop's first lime light appearances.

also, i'd LOVE to hear how you shut grandpas up about hiphop lol, drop some knowledge! :D
A rapper acts more like a drum than a note based instrument. Just as a drum can carry a melody, so can a rapper. By using poetic elements like meter, assonance, dissonance, a rapper uses syllables like a drummer uses different strokes of the drum. The rapper is to the bongo as a singer is to the saxophone.

I could also go into samples and how that is a valid musical form, that existed before hip-hop, but that's very, very long.

Jane

Smash Hero
A rapper acts more like a drum than a note based instrument. Just as a drum can carry a melody, so can a rapper. By using poetic elements like meter, assonance, dissonance, a rapper uses syllables like a drummer uses different strokes of the drum. The rapper is to the bongo as a singer is to the saxophone.

I could also go into samples and how that is a valid musical form, that existed before hip-hop, but that's very, very long.

nice! recommend me any good books on the subject? or just anything to get my learn on?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I've never read up anything on this, I base it only on my musical education, and my understanding of percussion theory.
I am a classical musical studen, and I make electronic music as well, so I can really speak from both sides about hip-hop being music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPF9V2x-Ak

Just reading up on same basic music theory, and then reading up and learning about how hip-hop is made and how samples are used can give you a good starting place, as well as books on poetry.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Saw the first few posts...mad random but Lauryn Hill graduated from the same high school as me, so did Zach Braff.

But yea aside from that I prefer more R&B/Hip Hop than Rap because I like to sing in my free time. Always have like artists like Alicia Keys, Raheem Devaugn, Usher, Trey Songz, Neyo etc.

I have enjoyed most of Drakes tracks since he started making mixtapes a few years back, and I used to really like Mos Def back in the day. But he turned into an actor on me lol, popular trend...Tyrese, Luda, Andre 3000.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Hmm searched my music library and couldn't find it, I'll check it out.

Immortal Technique is amazing, som much depth and meaning in the lyrics, Dance with the Devil was shocking and You never Know was so sad. Great songs. I recommend them both.
Didn't see this until after I posted.

Jane

Smash Hero
CRASHiC: yeah yeah i know, but i'm just saying, hip hop is "slang" for rap, there's no denying that and you won't really be able to change that.

Che_Lab: technique is one person :p

Jane

Smash Hero
omg we haven't even mentioned apathy!

SERIOUSLY EVERYONE GO LISTEN TO APATHY. he's insane. and also add him on to the list of reasons why hip hop isn't dead.

Jane

Smash Hero
a lot of people... haha CRASHiC made a short list like last page i think,

but i also wanted to bring someone else up, two people actually,

BINARY STAR, ever listened to them?

if not you owe it to yourself -

Binary Star - Reality Check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnD_CXnXEB8

Binary Star - Solar Powered (this beat is so tight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcHgTNE1yE

if you have a sub turn that **** up for that song!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Anyone like Aesop Rock? I first heard about him on Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 and loved the song Labor.
Yep. Def Jux is ill.

Speaking of THPS4, Grand Master Qbert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LynXBhWZEzs

and while I'm on Djs, let me post a few more

DJ Shortee- favorite female DJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyYy76znODQ

DJ Krush- The anti-dj, or the dj for people who hate hip-hop or Djs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjgRlto8PI

Prefuse 73- the down tempo scratcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odAni_-Ftf4

Jane

Smash Hero
SOLID: whos that first dude? xD and nas yes yes of course!

Yoshi: exactly! actually more like the flu hahaha

day day: ehh, sometimes aesop does it for me and sometimes i just can't get into him. love the song labor tho.

CRASHiC: i totally forgot about qbert! so ill! and wheres that dj shortee from? she's also dope, and cute to boot! haha.

but my fav was the last two you posted, ESPECIALLY that prefuse 73 track, that **** was ill

choknater: **** shes really good, i always see these sick beatboxers and i wanna start to beatbox, but i suck ): haha

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Jane, yeah. ahhh i used to listen to rahzel and all that stuff, i got into it for a while. it's really challenging! a fun hobby

Jane

Smash Hero
rahzel is sick! yeah definately fun and challenging. i should practice... lol

also check out this dude exile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbnuexenCEc

it gets really interesting at around at 2:00 minute mark when he starts mixing lil wayne's a milli, its really dope, even if you don't like lil wayne at all

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I don't know why people respect tupac so much. He hit women and no matter how good his music is i won't listen to somebody that hits women.

Nowadays rappers say it's cool to be in the hood.
Tupac said it wasn't yet he was in gangs. You don't need a gang to get out of the hood.

*awaits to get bombarded by a learnURrap wall of text from CRASHiC*

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Next week, everyone needs to get Raekwon's new album.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II.

It holds up to the legacy from what I've heard, and if you aren't aware of that legacy that the namesake provides, you need to get the first one too.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
CURSE YOU, LIL WAAAAAAYNE! :mad:

Now that rage is out of the way, does anyone else find it funny that rap/hip hop has been the butt of controversy but rock never had this much heat? I heard just as much crude stuff on mainstream rock as much as I do on mainstream rap

Top Bottom