• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World of Warcraft

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
i had a sign too!! i got WoW on my comp and was trying to install it (which was taking forever!!, is this normal?) and my comp starting noticing major slowdown. everything was laggy, and my computer just wasn't cooperating. i deleted it and restarted my comp and now it's fine. although i still have the itch to try it out. Now that i am officialy stuck to runescape, i know i would love WoW...peace

-hiroshi

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
i had a sign too!! i got WoW on my comp and was trying to install it (which was taking forever!!, is this normal?) and my comp starting noticing major slowdown. everything was laggy, and my computer just wasn't cooperating. i deleted it and restarted my comp and now it's fine. although i still have the itch to try it out. Now that i am officialy stuck to runescape, i know i would love WoW...peace

-hiroshi
That's normal, the slowdown. It downloads current and new content. If you decide to play, you need to leave your computer on overnight probably for that. The lag and slowdowns and such are just for major patches...

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
Latency has to do with the server you play on. You might want to consider joining a server that is near your area. I play on a Central Server even though I live in the Midwest. Or it just might be an all around RAM issue. When I was running on 512 it lagged horribly every time I went into a big city. But ever sence I put my 2gig in I havent lagged once.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
WoW is evil incarnate.
This horrendous doomsday device of a computer game had me in it's grasp for nearly a year, smothering me with it's repetetive gameplay.

Seriously though, I enjoyed my time in WoW, but you realize that it takes away alot of your free time if you play it on a higher level (PVP or Raid). Sadly, the quests really get very repetetive. I hears good thing about the expansion, though.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Rofl Pwny/Kirin's Thoughts:

I bought World of Warcraft back in December 2005, not knowing what I was getting myself into. One of my friends had already been playing for a month or two and had a 30-something Paladin and convinced me to try the game. When I bought it we decided to start Horde characters on the server Bloodscalp.

He started an Undead Warlock, I started a Tauren Shaman. We leveled up for a while, then I decided to switch to Orc Warrior. It started rather innocently, playing on and off with each other, although since I had restarted with a new character he was levels above me. Before I knew it, however, the addiction set in. I was gaining multiple levels a day and was catching up to my friend's Warlock.

He was the first to reach 60, but I was not far behind. I then went through a few different guilds before I joined a PvP guild that I really liked. This is where it really became bad. This was a serious guild, and we PvPed all day, every day. This was during summer by this time, and I would be PvPing with my guild all day until often 4+ AM in the morning, then sleep in and start all over again in the morning.

This went on for a long time, until I started an Undead Rogue. I originally made him to be a character for farming, but quickly grew to love his playstyle. As Burning Crusade was setting in, I leveled him quickly all the way to 60 in time for the expansion, and continued leveling him all the way to 70 in Outland.

After 70, I went through a few guilds and raided Kara, etc. with them. All this time I noticed I had a problem. Grades in school were dropping and I was now hanging out with friends online in WoW instead of in real life (most of my friends also played WoW). Over time many friends started dropping from WoW until it came down to a core set of my friends who still played. Some of the others who had quit would often restart for short periods of time, still trying to break the addiction but not being fully able to do it. Eventually it got down to just one friend and I playing.

After a while, he got to be in a great guild (he was a 70 healing specced Druid, after all) while I was stuck filtering through lower guilds (**** overpopulation of Rogues), though I kept playing. Turns out though, he was the first to quit. He eventually realized it was taking over his life as well, and quit. To make sure he never played again, he sold his account for $400 on Ebay. ><

I kept playing for a bit, and while I still had most of my in-game friends, it degraded without my real life friends. I attempted to quit multiple times, until finally I forced myself to quit. I still have my inactive account, but after 1 1/2 years of playing I decided it was time to get my life back.

Even worse, even after quitting I still visited worldofwarcraft.com often. It's THAT hard to break. Thankfully, that stopped after a while too.

I am now WoW-free and glad.

/rant

Long story short, don't start. EVER.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
The reason you pay for MMORPGS:

Hosting that many people on a server costs Hundreds of even thousands of dollars to run, it takes up so much bandwidth. If they didn't charge fees, there would be NO MMORPGs. So don't complain about fees!
also one thing i wanna add about this...

paying a subscription is actually cheaper than playing console games regularly.

since MMOs take up alot of time, i doubt you'll be playing anything else in the meantime, or just very little at least. Given that console games are about 50 bucks per purchase nowadays, assuming you may play 1 per month, 15 bucks a month is cheaper than 50 per month.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
also one thing i wanna add about this...

paying a subscription is actually cheaper than playing console games regularly.

since MMOs take up alot of time, i doubt you'll be playing anything else in the meantime, or just very little at least. Given that console games are about 50 bucks per purchase nowadays, assuming you may play 1 per month, 15 bucks a month is cheaper than 50 per month.
You make a good point. Much cheaper.

Also, love the sig haha.

Top Bottom