• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL World of Light vs. Subspace Emissary: Which one’s better?

WoL vs. Subspace

• World of Light

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Subspace Emissary

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
WARNING! This might include spoilers for both world of light and subspace

This is something I’ve really been going back and forth on. I feel like both are fun modes that have some flaws to them. For one I think Subspace had more variety, but World of Light had much more polish. Also the great maze is the bane of my existence... actually 75m is, but I still don’t like mazes. Anyway we all have opinions, I just made mine up yet...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In my opinion, subspace is better. But neither is as good as it could be. Honestly, if you threw some platforming levels and cool cutscenes into WoL between the fights, that would be perfect.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Subspace all the way, its not even close. Brawl was the most immersive smash ive ever played. The ambience, music, character interactions, the sense of hopelessness, grittiness and, those cutscenes. I aint a brawl fanboy for nothing.

I miss it alot. No other smash will be the same but, ultimate/sm4sh/melee are all similar.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They're both pretty damn awful, not gonna lie, but WoL at least has a bunch of interesting bosses.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Subspace is way better. It had an actual story, interaction between characters and real plot movement. It was fun to see the fighters interact with one another in engaging platforming levels an boss fights rather than 20+ hours of spirit battles and nothing else.

R O F L

Smash Ace
.........Am I the only one here who likes WoL more than Subspace?

I actually like playing spirits mode. I love how the battles are extremely gimmicky and are based off of other characters, also using <Spirit Power on everything in WoL actual made it fun. But I don't like the fact that I couldn't use Olimar without being OP.
I don't care about the story or cutscenes, so those pretty much not being there wasn't a problem, and I never really liked the subspace platforming either.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think World of Light is better as a game mode. Subspace Emissary tried to be a beat 'em up but didn't really succeed, while World of Light kind of was a less interesting event mode that dragged on for too long. Neither are great but WoL > SSE.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I haven't played Subspace since trying to defeat Tabuu on Intense, and that was before Smash 4 was announced. I don't remember much about Subspace but the story had a pretty ****ty third act with the Great Maze. Meanwhile World of Light had a much better third act, but the actual story itself went on slightly longer than expected. I do generally much prefer the spirit battles to the platforming aspects with the uninteresting non-unique enemies though (There was barely any enemy variety at all, Smash Run did a better job at that).

World of Light is better than Subspace.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Subspace has a good story and the cutscenes with character interactions, but from a gameplay perspective it is inferior. Platforming was very shoddy and the fake difficulty of having too many strong enemies on screen made those segments a crapshoot. It was filled with memorable moments though, like Samus getting attacked by Ridley and being saved by Pikachu or Dedede saving the day with his pins. Boss battles were good as well and I liked the prospect of Nintendo villains working with enemy.

World of Light has much better gameplay as it gets rid of the unnecessary platforming sections and adds a succession of special events on a cohesive map with themed dungeons. Fights against spirits are also chock full with references and mythology gags so it doubles as a museum of video game history. I couldn't help but smile at seeing maps based on Hyrule, Street Fighter II, DK Country and Castlevania; or seeing stuff like two giant metal ROBs with projectile items representing two Metal Gears or Dr. Wily being represented by a Dr. Mario protected by 8 metal Megamen.

WoL is overall much more fun to play and I would even say its the best Adventure Mode of the entire series. I don't see the need of platforming segments to make a good adventure mode as Melee's had two of them being just empty space and Brawl's filled those spaces with a lot of crapshoot elements, though it is a shame it doesn't have cutscenes or a plot as substantial as Brawl's. However, the cutscenes and plot from Subspace can be experienced by simply watching the videos online rather playing the mode itself.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Subspace and WoL are 2 different adventure modes that really show the split of how the community views what was great about them.

I've heard people who complained about subspace being bland and platforming doesn't go well with smash. I've heard people complained about WoL not having platforming and liked that part of the game. There are also people who love the cutscenes in subspace but wished the gameplay was better, gameplay is arguably better in WoL but now lacks cutscenes. Because of this it divides the adventure modes to the point that a lot of people will like one and dislike the other.

These 2 are real different to one another that it entirely depends on the taste of the player.

Now personally for me I love all adventure modes, but WoL is better for me. I'm basically on the gameplay side for the adventure mode. The spirit battles are way more unique than most of what subspace provided in terms of gameplay and I really enjoyed sinking my teeth into getting every spirit.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Subspace and WoL are 2 different adventure modes that really show the split of how the community views what was great about them.

I've heard people who complained about subspace being bland and platforming doesn't go well with smash. I've heard people complained about WoL not having platforming and liked that part of the game. There are also people who love the cutscenes in subspace but wished the gameplay was better, gameplay is arguably better in WoL but now lacks cutscenes. Because of this it divides the adventure modes to the point that a lot of people will like one and dislike the other.

These 2 are real different to one another that it entirely depends on the taste of the player.

Now personally for me I love all adventure modes, but WoL is better for me. I'm basically on the gameplay side for the adventure mode. The spirit battles are way more unique than most of what subspace provided in terms of gameplay and I really enjoyed sinking my teeth into getting every spirit.
I just wish it could do both. I know it couldn’t because of time, but what if it had spirit battles AND platforming AND cutscenes

Top Bottom