• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Women in Smash Infographic

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Earlier today, Lilo published her survey of women in the Smash community, their attitudes, and responses that they typically see at tournaments. In addition to the infographic, her blog publishes many of the interviews and responses to her questions. This survey comes just after Milktea's blog about awareness of female gamers made headlines across the competitive fighting game scene.

Reaction to the infographic has been mixed - some have pointed out that the number of women surveyed is low - though with over 53 women interviewed it likely represented a significant portion of women competing or having competed at Smash Brothers tournaments. 20% of the women surveyed indicated that they considered quitting playing Super Smash Brothers due to sexism in the community - a high number that the community needs to work together to combat. The most common type of sexism witnessed were demeaning comments with negative assumptions about skill level a close second.

Lilo posted many of the survey responses to her blog - which you should take a moment to read if you haven't clicked it already. One of the more disturbing responses was from PPRN of North Carolina who said that:

"I made a facebook status about how I disagreed with the term “****” in the community. I received messages telling me to “go get ***** and kill myself,” TONS of comments about how I should just leave the community, and some people I even considered close friends quit talking to me […] One time I was at a party with some smashers and someone I didn’t even know touched me completely inappropriately and no one helped me or stood up for me […] I felt pretty alone and discouraged about the scene for a while."

Despite experiences like those felt by PPRN and other women in the Smash community, the survey notes that none of the women regret joining the community and 90% said the community, as a whole, is the best part of the game.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Acceptance is something this community needs, for the games and the players. We have been working on the games aspect but maybe after that we focus a little on this

Cool that was shown and I feel for the women that felt a lot of disrespect. Friends or not, I don't think its cool

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's not a secret that there aren't a ton of women in the scene so seeing a lot of names I'm familiar with is cool

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Wow, its unbelievable that some people treat others like that. I hope we can minimize this problem at some point.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not sure how this will come off, but it kind of boggles my mind that either side feels the need to either treat or be treated differently.

I'm particularly surprised that only 4 of the subjects answered that gender should be a non-issue...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Those who are stalked or assaulted should speak out. I'm not talking about through online, but at the very moment it happens. If threatened and told to be quiet about it, bring it up to people you trust the most. I'm a hypocrite when it comes to the line, "Get *****." I've never said that to a female player, but I have used it several times, and I pretty much stopped using it ever sense. While that line may mean something else in gaming terms, others do perceive it as actually being *****. Yes, that's an obvious statement, but some people don't think about it.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
O.o I knew that girl gamers have it rough sometimes, but I didn't know people were getting assaulted and harassed. Damn.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
It's sad that something that's supposed to be fun is plagued with issues like this.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm glad people are bringing more awareness to issues like this as well as the whole "gay" problem.

If we're gonna judge other gamers lets judge how well they do behind the sticks instead of their gender/sexuality, because the latter two have literally nothing to do with Smash.

dirt

Smash Rookie
I've only recently involved myself with the community rather than playing solely with friends- i was half surprised about the general player conduct. It's great meeting some people who are very aware the competitive scene leans male and try to be kind and respectful towards everyone, but others are not so accommodating. I'm very glad at the least that the community is concerned with bringing awareness to these issues

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
I can understand why a lot of this stuff happens, (stereotypes, cultural expectations, etc.) but when girls start getting sexually assaulted/harassed/stalked there needs to be very serious penalty there.
I get not wanting to be the guy who completely crushed the new girl on the block, but ****??? Really??? Where on Earth are smashers getting the idea that this is acceptable in any situation?
In my opinion, a community should look out for its own. Not abuse them. That's unforgivable.

Vashimus

Smash Master
If we're gonna judge other gamers lets judge how well they do behind the sticks instead of their gender/sexuality, because the latter two have literally nothing to do with Smash.
You shouldn't judge someone by how well they perform at a video game, the same way you shouldn't judge someone based on their gender/sexuality.

Frankly I believe you shouldn't judge people at all, but if you can't help it, the person's attitude and how they behave towards you should always take priority over their skill at a video game.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
You know, I would say I'm surprised that this happens in the Smash community, but the fact is, I'm not. And it's not because of the community itself, but because of our culture.

Let's face it, there aren't any issues on this sort of level that are confined to one community, and it's sadly common in many, many places. It's propagated by the sexualization of women in the media and made worse when nothing is done about it.

What makes this worse is in particular is that, in my experience, gamers are generally far more open-minded than most people, ready and willing to accept others. The fact that this is going on in any gaming community, let alone Smash Brothers, says disturbing things to me about the rest of our culture.

If we want to change how women are viewed and treated, we need to do so at every level. We can't confine whatever we do to one community, because that won't solve the larger problem at hand. It starts here, but we can't let it end here.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You shouldn't judge someone by how well they perform at a video game, the same way you shouldn't judge someone based on their gender/sexuality.
...You're kidding me right? If someone can't handle criticism about their play then they have no business being a part of the competitive FGC, or any competitive sport for that matter. In any competitive setting people are going to judge and talk about your performance, both good and bad. This is just common sense here.

PandaJaws

Smash Rookie
Look i don't care who you are. Man, woman, whatever. What matters is everyone should be treated with respect within the community. You play smash? Then you're good with me.

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
I'm all for more female smashers simply because it brings in more competition, different ways of thinking and opens up doors for other female competitors. I know a lot of female players in places I've lived who are intimidated because they feel that smashers would shun them for lacking skill. I'm actually encouraging one to join in the fun. People shouldn't even bother with intimidation, just get in there and play your heart out.

Vashimus

Smash Master
...You're kidding me right? If someone can't handle criticism about their play then they have no business being a part of the competitive FGC, or any competitive sport for that matter. In any competitive setting people are going to judge and talk about your performance, both good and bad. This is just common sense here.
We're not even talking about criticism. We're talking about how people treat one another. If you beat me badly in a game and offer some tips, critique me on my play and what I should stop doing, that is criticism. Treating someone differently or with contempt based on how well the play the game is not.

A person who demeans someone based on their skill at something is really no different than a person who demeans someone based on their sexuality. Just because one has to do with Smash doesn't make it any less okay.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
We're not even talking about criticism. We're talking about how people treat one another. If you beat me badly in a game and offer some tips, critique me on my play and what I should stop doing, that is criticism. Treating someone differently or with contempt based on how well the play the game is not.

A person who demeans someone based on their skill at something is really no different than a person who demeans someone based on their sexuality. Just because one has to do with Smash doesn't make it any less okay.
You seem to be confusing my use of the word "judging" with "bullying."

I never said people should be mistreated based on their play. All I'm saying is that if someone has something to say about another gamer then it should strictly be about Smash.

But somehow implying that mistreating someone based on their play is just as bad as making fun of them for their sexuality/gender is false. People can tease how bad I am at Melee all day (which happens to everyone at some point) and I wouldn't care, because that's something I can actually change and improve upon. I can't change my sexual preference or gender... Unless I got surgery or something.

Last edited:

dirt

Smash Rookie

While i totally agree that being a poor sport (either as a winner or loser) is reprehensible comparing it to sexism or abuse is in pretty poor taste

Vashimus

Smash Master
While i totally agree that being a poor sport (either as a winner or loser) is reprehensible comparing it to sexism or abuse is in pretty poor taste
I can compare it to sexism or abuse in that it's something that shouldn't really happen in the first place. So I really couldn't care less what "taste" you find it in. Both can lead to bad blood within the community.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Sexist pricks deserve a major ASS WHIPPING!!

I mean, how hard is it to treat girls like regular people? They're not at these events to flirt (I think?), they're here to compete and play smash, just like the rest of us. People gotta stop treating them like space aliens.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
People gotta stop treating them like space aliens.
To be honest I'm pretty convinced that a lot of male gamers simply don't even understand HOW to treat a woman with respect and equality since many of them don't interact with females very often in the first place. :\

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Let's be honest, this is an issue and all, but the majority of smashers in this realm have at least one girl as a friend before entering the scene. The people doing these deeds are most likely the outliers of the community (the vocal minority) that make the entire smash community look like misogynistic, immature, jabronis. If I made an article about how people make numerous racial slurs that are still prevalent in the very few, yet vocal minority, I would create the same type of hellstorm this article and Milk's did. Not demeaning the nature of this article at all, but eradication is unforeseeable. I know people are going to say awareness is the first key, but most people are aware that human beings are strange creatures, hence why when some female smashers were being stalked I said,"Well it was bound to happen". Awareness only can go so far without action backing it up. What I hope is that more stringent practices are put in place to try the prevention and ascension of such incidents. If I am sounding insensitive to the subject I am sorry, but this is just how I honestly feel about these type of articles.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
There was a post talking about women in smash being ***** by other smash players.

What?

I can understand being 4-stocked but

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Now interview the females that actually go duking out on our screens! I wanna know if it hurts to use a Peach Bomber on someone? And where da heck do Zelda's b00bz go when she turns into Shiek! And if Samus thinks Ridley's too big! And what WFT's real name is! And finally...what do her cosmos mean!? LOL @ myself...

Last edited:

Scoot

Smash Cadet
It's interesting to see these results even if it is only 53 people it still shows a significant amount of reoccurrence in the same themes.

While being a white young male myself I have to say that all these terms I feel are very subjective and situational.

Now this doesn't mean I don't think that it's wrong to say these things, obviously **** is not something to joke about but with competition comes slang that expresses these emotions.

I will every now and then to my friends throw in "Get *****" like as a gesture of how badly I think I've beaten them, but I obviously don't mean for them to literally go ahead and do that.

And another good reference point is in episode 8 of the Smash Doc where a whole group of the interviewees discussed this topic and I believe it was Wes that brought up a very good point that it's "All about perception"

Wes' Talk on the subject
http://youtu.be/h2mcEHjOrt8?t=18m12s

That's my 2cents, thanks to whoever read this.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
http://n8dawgcrank.tumblr.com/

I'm gonna place this here. and wait..
What we actually want is to implement a real double standard which clears women of responsibility to think and act like rational human beings, while protecting them from situations where they would even be asked to think and act like rational human beings, and which furthermore implements a type of sexism against men
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's too bad how quick everyone wants to be a white knight these days.

thatspoetry

Smash Cadet
The reported case of the woman. respectively. having been touched inappropriately is sadly only a small percentage of what should be reported or just aren't talked about in most standings. It is in most communities in the world wherein cases of sexual harassment or more severe cases of such matters cease from due action simply because the party spoken of, where it be females or males and in most cases the former in relevance to the psychopathology of the crime in the entities guilty, are in dire strength to refrain from facilitating legalities. It is the victim forced in a position that exposes the true nature of themselves; it in the victim in their strength to deal with such opposition that gives them the thought and purpose to forgive in their own way.

Should it need to come to such choices? Should the belief and choice coincide to create a situated alignment that in its length appears contradictory. I believe creating articles like this is on a differing path to forgiveness, for it is through action and actualization and the finding of meaning within the humanity of our sociology where we find honesty.

It should be in related interests, professional environment, or those close to us where the perception and all things spoken of need that change of will. At this moment I relieve myself of words and ask does it seem like that heavy of a topic? Indeed it is considering what has been discusses previously from what many people have been ignoring in such circumstances.

Excuse me for my lack of briefness though it might give even further insight to this cause I haven taken my part and leave the rest up to those who see the need for change.​

Last edited:

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
Remember guys, protect these innocent women, they never did anything wrong or lie.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
it's always funny to see the discussion about men vs women in gamecommunities...

Somewhere most women want equality and being treated the same like their male gamerfriends (some men do as well). They don't want to be treated differently... but hey, you are female and I am male... is that the same? Should we ignore the truth? I tink not hahaha... IRL, Men talk to women differently than talking to other men. Women talk to men differently than to other women. It's just the truth.

When it comes to playing Smash or any other game, we do are the same. We don't know eachother maybe, and we don't know gender from one another. but when we talk trhough stream or something, we notice there's a difference immediately. It's not the usual male battler you're used to... It's a female this time! OMG!!

The **** jokes are truly inappropriate and bad, but they have a different meaning in gameplay... It's grown to just a saying. Not actually meaning to **** you in real life. Of course it's still the same word, but you should know better and not take it so seriously. Instead, give them a big ballwrecker-comment or something in return. Or tell em how you would chop their balls of or something I don't know what women say to scare men... (that's what scares me anyways lol) But don't expect guys to treat you like a guy when you're a girl...

It's kind of bad from me saying this, but women only want equality when it's beneficial for theirselves... For example, if a male and female enter a night club and the female can walk in for free and the man has to pay, you wouldn't hear the woman say "Hey, i'll pay too, because a man has to pay as well". And I know that women want to be treated as women when it comes to this. It's kind of a womens advantage.

If you look at sports for example, men and women don't play against eachother, because of physical differences. Mainly in men's advance. Men feel bad about losing to women. That's just a nature thingy. Same goes to losing at a game like smash. Though it's just skills and not strenght and physical n stuff, it still sounds the same... A man lost to a woman. Most men can't handle this. They would make sure for themselves to be the man and that you're the woman.

You can yell about this behavior all you want, and I agree that **** jokes should stop (I don't use them) cuz it's not funny at all, but don't expect people to change their natures. It's just how things go.

Top Bottom