• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolfs Reflector, An In Depth Guide

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Wolfs reflector, as most of you know, is quite different from foxes and falcos. With Wolfs reflector, from the time you press down+b and to the time it does damage, you are invulnerable, there are invincibility frames in between. It is the ultimate counter. If you learn to use this to your advantage, you can easily dodge 50% of the attacks thrown at you. Whats great about it is it has no where near the activation lag or ending lag of Ikes, Marths or Lucarios counter moves. Its quick, effective, and stops all characters who rely on close quarters combat in their tracks. Ill now go on to list some uses it has.

1. Reflecting Projectiles. ( It has to be said :p )
2. Juggle Canceling- If your being juggled, toss up a quick reflector right before you are about to get rejuggled, it will stop the hit and send the character who hit you downwards.
3. Working it into regular Gameplay- Personally, I like approaching with the reflector. Try a dash, short hopped reflector into down smash, works great most of the time. Another that works great is dash into short hop, but don't move forward with the short hop, wait and see if your opponent rolls towards you, then reflector into basically whatever you want. Try substituting it for sidestep dodges once in awhile, it is a tad slower than a sidestep dodge, but it will throw your opponent off his game, especially if you have been using sidestep dodges for the better part of the match. It also works well as an edgeguarding tool against most horizontal recoveries such as DK, Bowser, Wolf, Fox, Falco, Jiggly, and Luigi.

It is definetly one of Wolfs most stellar moves, I use it all the time and any great Wolf player should practice and see its merits. Any questions there are I would be happy to answer.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
That was it? haha...jk.

I use it for an anti-edgeguarding tool (careful with this). If I am hanging on the ledge, I will edgehop (drop then midair jump onto the stage) or just jump from the ledge (depending on the position of the opponent) and use the reflector, which is a much better tool than an air dodge to avoid getting beat by DDDs and MKs. Then... well, you covered it.

btw, how many frames of invunerability do you get?

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Im not sure the exact number of frames it is, all I know is that from the time you press down+b to the time it hits the enemy, your completely invincible.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
you do this too well david...haha it gets me all the time, i could learn a thing or two from you
-ANT
Haha thanks man, if your gonna keep falling for it, I'll keep doing it lol. But if I had to critique your playstyle I'd have to say your laser spamming way more than you need to. I find that when me and you get into an intense close fight, you'll end up rolling to the other side of FD and just laser spam, I also find your laser spamming way too close, like, you've laser spammed when i was within Fsmash range, I would advise against that, other than that, you play a fairly decent Wolf.

Relhots

Smash Lord
I approve of this topic. Wolf's reflector is like the best countering move in the game. I love it to death.
i still think there are many better ways to counter than the reflector... even if you are juggling, if you miss, there is so much lag on the end, that you just set yourself up to get juggled again.

KRoSS

Smash Rookie
Combo-ing folks with the reflector works fairly well, and works even better when you use it to chain stuff together.

A lot of the times a reflector hit will knock back the opponent just enough so you can follow up with a Fsmash.

This is a combo I use a lot, and it hits about 60% of the time:

SH Nair, canceled into a reflector, Fsmash.

It does decent damage, it's quick, and Nair is a move that isn't easily punished in case you mess up. Also, if they go to avoid the Nair, you can usually then hit them with the reflector because they almost never dodge both.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Nah, if you hold shield after a reflector hit, you can avoid almost anything Wolf tries to combo into, most notably Fsmash.

Sometimes, it comboes into the AAA combo, but nothing more.

It's best used just to avoid attacks and break your opponent's offense.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Yeah, I find reflector definetly puts in a kink in your opponents offense, especially if hes on a roll. The Reflector a.k.a.- The Roll Breaker

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Wolf's shine is best used to stop below attacks. Some players will try and juggle you in the air and if you air dodge the first one they'll hit you after its over cause they have low lag(wolf can do this with bair). This will let u be invincible to the juggle and give him anough knockback to avoid a neutral air. Its also good for the as u touch stage move, most chars are vulnerable in that last 2 frames or so before u hit stage, if u air doge u can't shield right away on ground . This is a defensive technique or to follow up a neutral air, reall shouldn't use it for much more, his air moves are to good to constitute it.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
It seems I have a lot [emphasis] to work on - I always assumed that wolf's reflector was a worthless piece of junk like Jigglypuff's Sing... -.-'
In retrospect, I never did regret when I used his reflector.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
and that is way I laugh at poeple who think that using wolf's reflector is pointless. Kudo's Koskinator, kudos to finally showing everyone that this move does not suck. I might write a topic about the nair to "debunk" the criticism since many players think that this move isnt to great either. A good wolf player know's how to use all his moves effectively.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I think the reason why they think it's useless is that they use it like Melee Fox's reflector... which is wrong in so many levels.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Kos, I thik you should request a sticy for this, so people can understand the reflector with out putting up anymore threads asking about it's properties.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
mm, not really necessary, those threads have been long dead for quite awhile now. Plus i don't think a mod would sticky a thread that just pertains to a single move on a characters moveset.

Ulevo

Smash Master
It seems I have a lot [emphasis] to work on - I always assumed that wolf's reflector was a worthless piece of junk like Jigglypuff's Sing... -.-'
In retrospect, I never did regret when I used his reflector.
For the record, Jigglys Sing can be very useful when you ledgehop to Sing while the opponent is guarding too close. They will fall asleep, you will fall down and grab the ledge out of your animation, and are in a perfect set up for a ledgehop Rest. Good stuff.

Anyway, Wolfs Reflector is a lot of fun, and leads to a lot of strings.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
A good wolf player know's how to use all his moves effectively.
A good user of a tool knows how to use all the possible functions of that tool effectively.

wolf player = person who uses the virtual object 'Wolf' in a Brawl game = person who uses something which has the purpose of winning Brawl games intrinsic to its construction in a Brawl game = person who uses something which has a purpose intrinsic to its construction for the relevant purpose = person who uses a tool

Fix'd.

(relevance terms generally disappear in analyses.)

Anyway, so long as we're talking about move-omnibenevolence, I say we need more d-tilt love. It basically stands for a more 'normal' f-tilt, and it's just as fast as Jab, by my experience. I like using it to thwart stale-move negation, a true worry of Wolf's, for even those who are not at heart spammers still cannot deny that the F-smash applies when the F-smash applies.

It makes people slide along the ground, which is really great and is just the spacing Wolf wants. It's disruptive like Reflector, but without all the trimmings, o' course.

Y'know what? I say we make a new name for Wolf's Reflector. It's so different from the Star Fox standard issue that it deserves it, and, dangit, I want to sound self-important when I talk about Wolf!

Something that captures its unique animation, the invincibility property, and the special way it can be used for stunning people just whenever they're in the hitbox.

§witch

Smash Lord
For the record, Jigglys Sing can be very useful when you ledgehop to Sing while the opponent is guarding too close. They will fall asleep, you will fall down and grab the ledge out of your animation, and are in a perfect set up for a ledgehop Rest. Good stuff.

Anyway, Wolfs Reflector is a lot of fun, and leads to a lot of strings.
Sing basically puts them to sleep for as long as sing lasts. It's pretty pointless.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Sing basically puts them to sleep for as long as sing lasts. It's pretty pointless.
The higher the damage % the opponent has, the longer they stay asleep. And the entire point of using it on a ledge is so you don't sit through the entire animation of Sing, so you can attack before they wake up.

It uses are limited, but they're still there regardless.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Wolf Shield? Wolf Barrier? Counter-shield?
Super Kung-Fu Action Jesusaurus power, aAACTIVAAATE!!

*looks up synonyms*

*server @ dictionary.reference.com crashes*

x_X

So. . .

• Wolfward
  • Repulsor
  • Rebuker

(it seriously crashed. I'm like 'OH NOEZ I spread duh Crashboards' virus!!')

My vote is Repulsor. It has one letter less than Reflector! Note that it's not a word, so I get to say it ends in '-or' 'cuz I spik English gudd.
:p

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
A deflector isn't quite what we're talking about. A deflection is merely a change in trajectory - it denotes nor connotes anything specific about that trajectory.

It also doesn't capture the invincibility well.
'Blood' just doesn't seem to fit with anything in Smash. If you're focusing on the red lighting effect. . . it's kind of over dramatic.

I will look into 'blade' though... for the 'cutting' hitbox...

oooh...

How about Thresher? To thresh is to cut into something heavily with violent blows. Archaically, it describes what flails do to people.

I also found a loving joke name: Wolf shears. :chuckle:

Patinator

Smash Champion
A deflector isn't quite what we're talking about. A deflection is merely a change in trajectory - it denotes nor connotes anything specific about that trajectory.

It also doesn't capture the invincibility well.
'Blood' just doesn't seem to fit with anything in Smash. If you're focusing on the red lighting effect. . . it's kind of over dramatic.

I will look into 'blade' though... for the 'cutting' hitbox...

oooh...

How about Thresher? To thresh is to cut into something heavily with violent blows. Archaically, it describes what flails do to people.

I also found a loving joke name: Wolf shears. :chuckle:
Wolf... Shears? Hurr-hurr-hurr.

Thresher isn't bad. But Blood Shine's also nice. Though, as said above, blood doesn't fit. This is SMASH, not Failo Halo.

...THRESHINE...?

Hmm.

Ruby Shine?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'm really happy to have you guys' support! :)

Words found from shine:
My approach was that Wolf's B-down doesn't "shine", it just sorta. . . gleams*. I got,

Diffuse, shimmer, spark.

I realized we want for the short name something that's monosyllabic in an /-ed/ form. So 'spark' has a lot going for it. It also describes what happens to people we hit. Its noun form means "a sudden, quick light" and as a verb, "to issue gleams or flashes."

I think a diffuser is exactly what it is (should be Nintendo's name for it, IMO), and we could refer to 'fusing' or 'diffing' attacks. It also seems to go with the sound, at least of the activation, for me. Repulsor goes better with the sound after.

*Gleam, in fact, means to emit light suddenly in rays or sparks. This or 'flash' would work so well, except for Wolf Flash.

So

• Repulsor, pulsed
  • Rebuker, 'buked
  • Thresher, threshed
  • Diffuser, 'fused/diff'd
  • Spark, sparked

Crimson is great for all kinds of reasons, but it could only be a full name, right? How will we speak of "crimsoning" people?

Top Bottom