• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Metagame Thread

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ This :bee:

Also, Ether definitely knew everything we currently know about Wolf a year or so back lol. Does anyone ever use the going-under-stages thing on SV/BF/Lylat/other random CPs?

:059:

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I once got knocked under SV in tournament and recovered to the other side, to save the stock. Maybe it's possible to attack a scrooging MK if you do this?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Sounds pretty risky tbh... what would you try to attack MK with, upB? Because I wouldn't be surprised if they can nair/uair us out of it ;_; Actually, now that I spent a second thinking about it, wavebouncing blaster?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Yeah Blaster would work, but they can avoid it pretty easily.

Most MKs probably don't know that they can Nair out of Wolf's UpB, so you could probably stage spike a scrooging MK with it at least once for the lols. Probably wouldn't try it in tournament.

When Snake gets caught understage and tries to C4+tech, you might be able to go under the stage and harass him.

Another thing.

I don't know how old this is, but are you guys using the Shine to turn around in midair? It's nice for when you get knocked offstage and want to use Bair to defend against edge-guarders.

tekkie

Smash Master
I don't know how old this is, but are you guys using the Shine to turn around in midair? It's nice for when you get knocked offstage and want to use Bair to defend against edge-guarders.
i use it occasionally but that sounds kinda useful. assuming you can afford the time since wolf falls so fast

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
I always use it, but you have to DI well so that you have enough time for it, very useful.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I always use it, but you have to DI well so that you have enough time for it, very useful.
Yay, Sebastian's back :D

I usually end up using it for offensive purposes, like during a jumpshine if I want to bair on the way down instead of fair. I don't get edgeguarded hardcore on a regular basis so I never got used to doing it for survival :<

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
Eh... Wolf's DTilt. It's a dtilt that lock's you at 0%-over 100% against a wall. This could be useful it one counterpicks a stage like Delfino or Pokemon Stadium 1 since there are walls. It could work on Rainbow Cruise as well but I don't really recommend that stage to Counter-pick.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Eh... Wolf's DTilt. It's a dtilt that lock's you at 0%-over 100% against a wall. This could be useful it one counterpicks a stage like Delfino or Pokemon Stadium 1 since there are walls. It could work on Rainbow Cruise as well but I don't really recommend that stage to Counter-pick.
a buffered dtilt also combos from shine, so if you are on pokemon stadium 1 and ur in the little canyon (not sure what the exact word for this is), you can just stand there. If your oppponent jumps in, shine him on his landing lag and proceed to dtilt lock him against the wall

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Also, apparently we can lightstep off of a flash cancel. I didn't get to save the replay :( but it's during the part where you're still going forward with the leftover momentum right after cancelling but before you enter the freefall pose where Wolf looks like he's going to belly flop into a pool.

Didn't really know where else to put it, so... :p

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
Also, apparently we can lightstep off of a flash cancel. I didn't get to save the replay :( but it's during the part where you're still going forward with the leftover momentum right after cancelling but before you enter the freefall pose where Wolf looks like he's going to belly flop into a pool.

Didn't really know where else to put it, so... :p

that line made my day XD wolf looks so funny when that happens. what were they thinking when they programmed that move to lose all momentum even though you go flying through the air seconds before.

also, exactly what makes you tele/light step? i've heard its the angle you go at or its the distance travelled with your forward B, does anyone have a definate answer? i'd like to learn how to do it more often to mix up my ledge game

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There are two spots for a lightstep without cancelling, a short distance and a long distance. You can't lightstep from in between these two points, so... I guess just learn the general points, JCav made a vid that might help you out with finding them (it's in the ultimate sticky). Idk as much about telestepping, but I want to say that there are multiple points at which you can pull it off as opposed to lightstepping's two.

Also, good to see you again ;D

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
yeah i was gone for quite a while huh? thats cause my ps3 was shiny and pretty but i never stopped playing brawl. wolf is too cool for that <3
yeah i watched jcav's video it was helpful, i'm trying to get all the random little wolf AT's down better those two always elude me though, every little helps though right? hopefully i can get some videos up for real critique instead of just playing my friends over and over again

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Does anyone have the frame data on Wolf's advantage on hit/block for every move and at various percents?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No, that's the one thing our frame data misses ... the most important part :urg:

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
thats the fate of the under repped sadly ;_;
that and the fact that all wolfs are inherently lazy (lookin' at you ish <3)

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
its what makes the woffles the wolfs! we'd scare all the other character boards if we suddenly became productive members of the smash society

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
whoa o.o the hell was that? XD if that wasnt just some bizarro glitch then that could be rather useful

Choice

Smash Champion
shield Di really isnt that useful though cuz its only usable on multihits.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
hmm, but what about against pika? he's one of our harder MU's, would shield DI'ing his dsmash be better than regular DI out of it? assuming you're able to predict the attack prior to getting hit?

Choice

Smash Champion
if you just shield his dsmash you can do whatever you want afterwards. i'd suggest to side step at the end though to save your shield.

his dsmash isnt that good really though and its not really what makes or breaks the mu. i used to play pika so i know its a pretty bad option most the time.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
yeah i know about that, i was just thinking of different things it could be useful for, lol pika's dsmash

Gah777

Smash Lord
shield Di really isnt that useful though cuz its only usable on multihits.
Shield DI can be used on single hits as well, it's just not as noticeable. It can help with spacing and give us the ability to punish things OoS that we couldn't before. The Lucarios use this technique to punish things with an "airwalked" d-air.

Destrawr

Smash Cadet
I always figured it would be smarter to just regular shield on most moves and then punish with an educated smash.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
depends on the move used against you mang, wolf can't be throwin' out dem smashes leik its his birfday

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
you mean you arent supposed to laser about 20 times then fsmash across the stage then get hit offstage and "try"to recover and fail miserably?!

there's a lot more to wolf then i thought @_@ i dunno about this, i think i'm a mk main now

Choice

Smash Champion
fsmash is a good move, i dunno what you guys are talking about

...wolf can't be throwin' out dem smashes leik its his birfday
this is still true, but i mean thats true from any character/any move besides mk's fsmash. thats that 'i guess' smash, at least most the time.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
your last sentance there confussed me so badly, i still dont know what you're trying to say @_@

fsmash is a great move imo
everything in moderation as they say

tekkie

Smash Master
fsmash is a good move, i dunno what you guys are talking about

this is still true, but i mean thats true from any character/any move besides mk's fsmash. thats that 'i guess' smash, at least most the time.
i just fsmash with mk once in a while because im bored and because there are no repercussions if theyre far away

Choice

Smash Champion
your last sentance there confussed me so badly, i still dont know what you're trying to say @_@
like when you're playing, fsmash is rarely used to punish or approach or anything its just like "well i guess i'll fsmash" since its super safe.

Top Bottom