• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf is going to be overused isn't he?

Black/Light

Smash Master
I remember how people would react when I said I main Falco in melee. That. . .look. . ."awww, I see" was a common line.

I simply liked Falco because he felt like a good character for me. . . didn't even know of the tier list.

Really, I just believe in maining whatever characters best fit you as a person and playstyle or who every you like the most. I can't do slow or super high twitch fast characters so I can't do well with Fox or Bowser and I want force myself to play them nomatter where they are on the tier list.

And yea, I plain on tossing a slot for my multi main team at Wolf because he seems interesting. Im not a Wolf fan nor do I follow SF closely, I just simply like how he looks to play. My corrent "want to main" team is PT/ ZSS/ Falco/ Pitt/ Wolf/ Sonic/ Lucario/ ROB/ and maybe Zelda. I know Im going to weed the ones that don't work well with me out over time and maybe add a new one or 2 but these are the characters that I find most interesting and if I like them I will main them regardless of thier tier placement.

Too bad everyone doesn't main based on appeal. . . soo many arvg Fox players could probly be great with another character they never gave the time of day to try out.

raul

Smash Lord
Hold up. Are you suggesting we turn items on in professional play? That completely undermines the purpose of trying to find out who's better among the contestants, and then handing them a large sum of money. Even so this will do little to eliminate tiers. Each character also uses items differently. Fox, for instance, is the slowest walker while carrying a crate or barrel, while DK is the fastest. Different characters also have different item pick up, and throw speeds. Let's not forget the different way the melee items are used (fan, bat, beam sword etc.) Mewtwo happens to be one of the best item users for how far he throws them, and for the way he uses melee items.

What you suggest does nothing to eliminate tiers. It changes the tiers around a bit, and makes professional play nearly pointless, ESPECIALLY now that we have FS's.

Putting emphasis on random chance is very hard to do well, and all but impossible in a fighter.
You're pretty much correct on all accounts, Maph. However, I am not arguing to change tornament play or even completely dissolve the tier list. I am trying to develop an example that may distract people from revolving their casual play based around top tier characters. Basically, if a player only chooses and mains top tier characters in casual play, where there is no money or research involved, why not explore other characters? Why settle simply just for top tier? Hell, a player might not even be as good with a top tier character as he/she would be if he/she used a lower tier characters. Thus, if we developed a type of play where tiers were not a factor, perhaps more people would use the lower tier characters based on the stipulations provided by the newly developed game play.

Maph

Smash Cadet
You're pretty much correct on all accounts, Maph. However, I am not arguing to change tournament play or even completely dissolve the tier list. I am trying to develop an example that may distract people from revolving their casual play based around top tier characters. Basically, if a player only chooses and mains top tier characters in casual play, where there is no money or research involved, why not explore other characters? Why settle simply just for top tier? Hell, a player might not even be as good with a top tier character as he/she would be if he/she used a lower tier characters. Thus, if we developed a type of play where tiers were not a factor, perhaps more people would use the lower tier characters based on the stipulations provided by the newly developed game play.
I see your point, but what you want is not possible. In order to play this way, no character would be able to have any advantages, or disadvantages. You basically have to boil it down to a 1 character game with the character having 35 alternate costumes.

You can't change the game to get what you want, you have to change the people playing it. I suggest that we dispel the illusion that playing a high tier character is the best way to win for any given person. Some people will indeed play better with low-tiers than high tiers. I'm sure if people had figured this out for Melee the tier list would be a good deal different. We'd have more people using supposedly "low-tier" characters, possibly finding ways to use them that make them not so bad.

I myself have been a main of the G-man for a loooong time, but the changes to him may deter me from maining him again.

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't care who is used the most. Thats basically being jealous because a character is liked so much or something. I plan on having Wolf in my rotation because my brother is a Fox main in Melee and me picking up his nemesis sort of fits.

And as for tier lists, wanting to completely eliminate them is sort of ignorant. All fighting games have tiers no matter what. I think Brawl may be much more balanced and diverse in terms of great characters but tiers will always be present thats a fact of fighting games so get used to it.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
And as for tier lists, wanting to completely eliminate them is sort of ignorant. All fighting games have tiers no matter what. I think Brawl may be much more balanced and diverse in terms of great characters but tiers will always be present thats a fact of fighting games so get used to it.
We're not talking about trying to eliminate them, we're saying they ruin the game because noobs pick up ssb and only play high tier characters. Even though this person might actually be better with a low tier character they only play high tier because they think high tier are best. The tier lists only matters when you have become a pro or play on a professional level.
Even then low tier characters can become killing machines. I understand what you are saying but we are not saying that tiers don't exist, thats stupid cause some characters are better than others.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Sigh. That old saying tires don exits. Ah well.

Wolf may be overused. That's good; more people who might join the Star Wolf Squadron. :laugh:
Thats a nice way of looking at it. It seems like all the popular characters will be overused. It seems like everything is fair and balanced now, but who knows, people might flock to a character marked "the strongest" or "top teir" in the future when things start to settle in.

Patinator

Smash Champion
^^ I spoke in jest.

What happened with Melee will happen with Brawl. A character who's top tier will be overused. Sadly.

But I'd rather Wolf be a good character than not be used much! :)

Svenshinhan

Smash Cadet
Well, in my friends group I'm the only one who even likes him, so I'll most likely be the only one who uses him. Tourneys and whatnot, well, I might go to a few if they're hosted in my hometown, but otherwise I don't really care about the competitive scene much. I do play with a competitive mindset though (playing to win, wanting to get better, practicing stuff).

Some people have criticized me for using Falco as a main, but I don't really care, because:

A) none of the people I know (myself included) are good enough that the tier list applies to us
2) wouldn't it be just as dumb to NOT use a character just because he's high tiered? Same principle

Top Bottom