• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf is a weird character.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I guess all the characters are weird since they're kind of unique, but Wolf seems more unique than the rest.

Wolf isn't straight forward, I don't think. He just...isn't, I guess. Though, one thing Wolf is good at when he's in a neutral position is controlling space. That's like seriously one of his advantages. He has Fsmash (That's a lot of space, if anyone didn't catch that) and blaster on the ground, and when he's in the air, he has his entire range of movement (Which is a lot) and 2 huge hitboxes on both sides of him. (Though, Fair might be a touch laggy if you're in the air, it takes a long time...which I guess limits your options) He also has blaster in the air, which again controls a lot of space because it FORCES A DEFENSIVE OPTION. I mean like, that's the name of the game. Once they start defending, they've limited their options with your influence.

It's a shame you can't take advantage of that as well as you could if it were less laggy, but it's a nice thing to have, it forces them to focus on stopping the laser instead of them getting to a better spot. One blatant example would be doing FH laser a lot against Wario so that he doesn't get into his advantageous spot of in the air above you. It'd force an airdodge or him not jumping at all.

Controlling space, tada, Wolf's good at it, space is important in Brawl...uhm...Yeah.

Idk how I went from straight forwardness to controlling space, but I don't care xD

It's a shame you can't control space when you're in a chaingrab D= But alas, things we can't change ^_^.

Discuss?

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
I stopped reading exactly there.
that was incredibly rude and uneeded, not only did you not even bother to think it through you also saw fit to tell the guy that his information/discussion was unworthy of your time, in his own character board. :/
this wolf doesn't appreciate that much and feels obligated to inform you that your MK smells bad and is quite mentally handicapped, he has the appearance of a severely maimed baboon and has a terrible lisp
good day to you SIR

back to the topic on hand...
wolf is fairly unique I'd say, especially out of the star fox characters, his flash is demented and goes at some freakish angle, his blaster is freakishly huge and slow but the gun can actually hit, his shine makes him invincible etc.
then despite being a heavy weight (ha, he's the lighest heavy weight! lucario is the next lighest after him) he can literally fly across the stage with only two jumps and has great aerial control, unlike other heavies, snake, ganon,bowser, and so on.
plus he's just cool, easily the coolest character ever

Zori

Smash Champion
wolf is kinda normal o-0 all his moves do exactly what they look like that should do

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I think Wolf is quite unique since his play style revolves around keeping enough space so be can predict and punish or space with bair, laser, and fair. I have been working to perfect AC fairs but it doesn't seem to be all that useful. I see myself going left then right all day, or the opposite during a match. In closing, Wolf is appealing

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@ Gf2tw, what Arc said. Imo, Wolf isn't too 'normal' by brawl standards. Not sure if that makes him unique exactly, but then again almost every character has a few things that make them unique.

Nearly every post here has been (borderline) spam so far. The topic isn't "Is Wolf normal Y/N", it's about controlling space. So talk about controlling space.

Anyways, fsmash pisses me off sometimes... the one or two frame pause before the final hit is kinda stupid. Sometimes it helps for shieldpoking I guess, but most of the time it just makes it easier for my opponent to PS the attack. I need to take a closer look into that move, it always feels like I'm missing out on some knowledge with it x_x

Bair and fair are so ****. That is all.

As you mentioned with blaster and fair, they're good but laggy :< Even though they force a defensive option, fair has too much cooldown to work against airdodges high in the air and blaster has too much cooldown to be particularly useful unless at a significant distance. Not to say that they don't do their job though :3

:059:

rvkevin

Smash Lord
It's a shame you can't take advantage of that as well as you could if it were less laggy, but it's a nice thing to have, it forces them to focus on stopping the laser instead of them getting to a better spot. One blatant example would be doing FH laser a lot against Wario so that he doesn't get into his advantageous spot of in the air above you. It'd force an airdodge or him not jumping at all.
Nice try, but Wario can double jump over a FH Blaster...even if Wario air dodges away, how does that help? It just foils his approach and resets to a neutral position and he tries again...and even if Wario gets above you, Uair beats Wario's Dair.

Wolf's best asset's:

Priority...trading hits with Wolf's Fair or Bair when you just killed him and your at 140'ish is pretty lethal, which is why Wario's weight aids him in this match up so well since it adds like %40 per stock. As well as Bair, Blaster, and Fair making some zones completely nonviable.

Aerial mobility...makes him more able to space attacks than his opponent. Helps in following his opponents movement to force air dodges with Uair and punish with Bair/Juggle. As well as stalling, forcing the offensive role of his opponent. Makes retreating Fair particularly hard to punish.

Ability to punish...if someone is in shield, Fsmash can punish every option they choose if you time it correctly. Shield pressure leads to shield pokes. Usmash OoS punishes a lot of attacks.

Wolfs worst weaknesses:

Recovery...getting gimped, usually results from poor DI. Can't recover when grabbed out his double jump on the edge, which limits his ledge options. Up B is vulnerable from edge hogs, usually results in free hit for opponent.

Lag...forces Wolf to commit to options. Making errors particularly easy to punish. Wouldn't be so bad if Wolf wasn't so prone to chain grabs.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Nearly every post here has been (borderline) spam so far. The topic isn't "Is Wolf normal Y/N", it's about controlling space. So talk about controlling space.
But uhh... the topic title is "Wolf is a weird character." so it seems like that would be part of the discussion too.

Honestly, back when I didn't use Wolf, him and Yoshi seemed like the two weirdest characters to me. Wolf, because he didn't feel as floaty as the rest of the characters, and used to seem too fast. He seems really normal to me now though since I use him and know all of his spacing options (Recently just found a handy weakness DK has against Wolf if you space correctly too).

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
The only thing really straight forward about him is Bair and Dsmash. The rest you can kinda pull out of your behind and it'll probably work if you're a smart player. I've seen Fair used a ton of different ways. Nair, shine, Dair et cetera used a lot of different ways. There's no real right way to use any of those moves...it's just kinda up to you. If that makes sense lol, it probably doesn't xD

KRDsonic

Smash Master
That's something I didn't think about. Some of his moves really are used quite a bit differently by different players. Especially shine. I see quite a few people use it kind of like a way to get away from the opponent, which seems weird to me but it looks like it works for them. I don't really see Dair used that much by most wolves, but I love it :/

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Wolf's got style

They way he gets ready to battle, Thats style

Off of that

Wolf does not seem to Bland

His Up smash is weird

His Uptilt is Bland, I mean its just to normal

I can't explain