• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
used to main wolf, picking him up as an alt for piaks bad mus

anyways fought this kirby, not a prob for my pika gives my wolf trouble mostly due to his dsmash dosent eat rolls like pikas.

anyways i wld like to have my wolf get this mu down, what stages wld you strike v kirby, what stages wld u cp him to and what stages wld u ban?

i dunno wolfs stages to well, i usually like to go to sv since its a good pika stage and wolf can scar it. any advice wld be AESOME K THNX!

btw choice this is forever zero, <3 i have ur jacket still

Its mostly about spacing, your spaced bair/fair will outperform kirby in the air, most of wolf's match ups are really centric about you staying onstage. Basically you are trying to avoid any stage that Kirby can float under. Try to avoid Orpheon and Jungle Japes, they help his recovery a lot and make yours totally blow. DONT FOLLOW KIRBY OFF THE STAGE

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
used to main wolf, picking him up as an alt for piaks bad mus

anyways fought this kirby, not a prob for my pika gives my wolf trouble mostly due to his dsmash dosent eat rolls like pikas.

anyways i wld like to have my wolf get this mu down, what stages wld you strike v kirby, what stages wld u cp him to and what stages wld u ban?

i dunno wolfs stages to well, i usually like to go to sv since its a good pika stage and wolf can scar it. any advice wld be AESOME K THNX!

btw choice this is forever zero, <3 i have ur jacket still
Sup Forever Zero ;D

Hmm... retreating SH fair beats out all aerial approaches, usmash OoS punishes almost any shielded landing aerial, SDI up after uair to get out of the Gonzo combo, and if rolls are giving you trouble just turnaround jab (hold A to loop) might do the trick.

Stage-wise.. ban RC lol. Going off-stage vs Kirby is bad bad bad. I feel like I end up killing Kirby vertically more often, so maybe a place with a low ceiling will help, but priority #1 is to pick a stage where you'll be above solid ground 99% of the time :p Past that I feel like it's probably personal preference.

:059:

TMT

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the Wolf boards TMT! Did Semifer and Yikarur bring you here? :3

no, I'm here quite a long time, but I never write anything, so yea :dizzy:

I think I get f***ed by SL cause I always underrate his range :urg:

I always thought it's just imagination, that I don't get faster if I fastfall :embarrass

E: every line a smily xD

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Sup Forever Zero ;D

Hmm... retreating SH fair beats out all aerial approaches, usmash OoS punishes almost any shielded landing aerial, SDI up after uair to get out of the Gonzo combo, and if rolls are giving you trouble just turnaround jab (hold A to loop) might do the trick.

Stage-wise.. ban RC lol. Going off-stage vs Kirby is bad bad bad. I feel like I end up killing Kirby vertically more often, so maybe a place with a low ceiling will help, but priority #1 is to pick a stage where you'll be above solid ground 99% of the time :p Past that I feel like it's probably personal preference.

thanks ish

yeah u may have seen my match against lights luigi with my pika, and the 2 fox matches he won v my pika out of the millions i won him in LOL

thanks that helps alot, i didnt think usmash oos with wolf wld work well, i forget it has better startup range than pikas and comes out quick, ill implement that.

as for the rolls ill try the jab, cuz i find dsmash isnt doing the job as well as i want.

as for stages thanks for the suggestion, ill def ban rc. what neutral wld be best to take him to assuming i have ps1 fd bf sv and yi as neutrals?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kirby dies easily off the top of the screen. I'd say any stage with a low ceiling is good to take him to. I can't say I've played a whole lot of wolves, but in that MU, I'd say Green Greens would be my worst nightmare. After that Brinstar and Halberd scare me, although Kirby isn't bad on either, but a good Usmash OoS on either stage is most likely going to be a stock, and even if you can't get that, a Fair kill shouldn't be too hard to land. Also, Brinstar makes it harder to gimp Wolf.

For neutrals, you definitely want to avoid PS1. Not only can the stage screw you, Kirby has a LOT of janky stuff on that stage.
Also, Lylat's not great for Wolf, so avoid that. I personally dislike YI with Wolf, but love it with Kirby, since it helps us edgeguard very well, not to mention tilts and shy guys don't mess Kirby up at all.
I'd say FD is your best bet in neutrals (Big stage, lots of room to outmaneuver Kirby and keep making him approach, which Kirby is bad at, projectile camp.), followed by SV.
Kirby's also good on Delfino, but I think Wolf is much better there.

But yeah, due to Kirby's weight/floatiness, he dies WAY earlier off the top, so keep that in mind.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
hm usmash oos sounds like its gonna help me alot, ill have to do that.

the guy i play is pretty scripted, just trys to grab all the time to combo and hides in shield to shield grab, i just need to stop appraching in my shield so much, but i think if he pressures my shield usmash oos will def get him, gotta add that into my wolfs game

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That sounds like awesome practice against legit players + important match-ups. Good stuff

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
hm usmash oos sounds like its gonna help me alot, ill have to do that.

the guy i play is pretty scripted, just trys to grab all the time to combo and hides in shield to shield grab, i just need to stop appraching in my shield so much, but i think if he pressures my shield usmash oos will def get him, gotta add that into my wolfs game
Scripted Kirby you say? Make sure you camp him hard. Make it hell for him to approach. Jab is also amazing vs grounded Kirbies who don't use Ftilt (which is a LOT of them).

Choice

Smash Champion
punish rolls kirby's rolls with usmash.

if he rolls behind, usmash.
rolls away dacus.

yea kirby dies easy off the top caz he has a good momentum cancel off the side. he's kinda like a ghetto version of pika.

ban rainbow i guess. kirby's not that good.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Don't try to grab him when he rolls towards you. I don't know how it's possible but he always seems to be able to sneak in his utilt which is REALLY infuriating. If it looks like he has to use upB offstage spam dsmash - unless he sweetspots the ledge PERFECTLY you will at least trade hits which is always in Wolfs favour and either kills Kirby or leaves him open for a bair.

Choice

Smash Champion
you could also just time a dsmash or spike him >=o

iunno spam dsmash sounds so desperate and uncooth. we aint mk.

Choice

Smash Champion
noooooooo side taunt is the worst. up taunt = why wolf should be high tier.

Choice

Smash Champion
man in the past couple days that i've been active. the only thread that really has gotten much attention is this social thread. we gotta step it up >.<

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm stepping it up. My new goal is to become so comfortable with EVERYTHING technical [buffering, OoS options, Flash cancelling] that it doesn't matter how nervous I am [which is by far my biggest problem in tournament <_<] so I can play well even on a bad day.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
We dont really have much to discuss besides match ups, and the other boards don't like to come to our board to discuss the match ups for some reason. =(

Choice

Smash Champion
I'm stepping it up. My new goal is to become so comfortable with EVERYTHING technical [buffering, OoS options, Flash cancelling] that it doesn't matter how nervous I am [which is by far my biggest problem in tournament <_<] so I can play well even on a bad day.

to make sure bad days dont happen, i always do a real quick tech skill practice session the morning of a tourney.

We dont really have much to discuss besides match ups, and the other boards don't like to come to our board to discuss the match ups for some reason. =(
well, we cant really depend on other boards to discuss things regarding wolf caz he's not played that much. i also think that match up threads are way too caught up on numbers. i dont really like them caz of this stigma.

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
I can agree with that sentiment. A lot of people criticize our match up numbers and our views on match ups because we rarely have outside input from the character's being discussed, which is why I brought it up. So what would you suggest we discuss? =P

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

Yup, that's what I started doing. I think good execution in general in Brawl is undervalued. Flash Canceling, specifically, is way too **** good not to abuse.

My mentality being, that if Tekken and Soul Calibur players are relying on Just Frame inputs and Street Fighter players are using 1-frame links as BnB, there's no reason why I shouldn't attempt to achieve the same level of precision with my Brawl character.

Scar

#HarveyDent
did i make this thread or what

this is like the brawl version of the scar thread

hey guys i invented stage scarring so you all know me even if you thought you didn't!

Choice

Smash Champion
side b canceling is so important. thats like our recovery.

also i guess i havent thought about what should be discussed. i'll get back to you on that?

castorpollux

Smash Champion

hey guys i invented stage scarring so you all know me even if you thought you didn't!
what's stage scarring? i think we call it barracuda drifting now

Choice

Smash Champion
i dont really barracuda drift that much honestly. its kinda annoying how when people find out i play wolf its like the first thing they ask "you play wolf? do you drift?"

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
F-tilt
Hit: 8, (9-10; 2nd hit only), 28-29
Duration: 53
Hit Lag: 19, 2
Block Stun: 6, 8
Block Hit Lag: 19, 2

D-tilt
Hit: 5-6
Duration: 33
Hit Lag: 6
Block Stun: 8
Block Hit Lag: 6

USmash
Hit: 13-15, 26-28
Duration: 57
Hit Lag: 6, 8
Block Stun: 8, 12
Block Hit Lag: 6, 8
Does that mean:

Ftilt = -18 frames advantage / -11 on shield?
Dtilt = -25 frames advantage / -18 on shield?
Usmash = -25 frames advantage / - 18 on shield?

Somedody confirm / correct that please [all numbers taken from JCav's frame data thread]. I doubt that any character except Diddy Kong or maybe Bowser has an OoS move that outranges any of the moves mentioned above so if the numbers are correct then you can pretty much always count the numbers "on shield".

-11 for ftilt looks like a suspiciously small number for a move that has the range to tread with Marth's fair [+it's completely disjointed at the very tip] but you have to hit the opponent's shield with either both hits or only the 2nd hit. Walking around to space ftilts perfectly might become a useful tactic for Wolf.

Dtilt looks really lackluster in comparision and I can't find too much application for it. You can buffer it after a jumpshine which comboes guaranteed against some characters and some of them will always trip after that.

Usmash on the other hand looks ridiculous, especially if you know the horicontal range of the first hitbox [it's bigger than the platforms of Battlefield!] and the shield knockback of that move. Quite possibly Wolf's best ground move - great to use OoS, relatively safe on hit, beats air- and spotdodges, DACUS ... this moves rocks - use it more!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Ftilt is amazing. Discuss.

I got good practice yesterday. Omni will post vids later. May the spirit of Barricuda Drifter be with you W0fl's.

Laem

Smash Champion
its kinda annoying when ftilt clashes and leaves YOU punished cuz you had more lag than the other guy
HOWEVER, the opposite has happened to me as well where they're still in lag and i dsmash them ^.^

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Lets not discuss unimportant stuff like wolf's metagame use of ftilt

More importantly, lets discuss ishieymoro's yellow fever: No. lol

Gah777

Smash Lord
B-reversals are cool.

Flash-canceling is easy.

DACUS is amazing, as is Shine and b-air.

Wolf's game: do lots of the above.

in other news: fever is spreading rampant across the Boards.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% consistent with it, but it's not that bad. I have more trouble with Falcos or Foxs cancel.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
man in the past couple days that i've been active. the only thread that really has gotten much attention is this social thread. we gotta step it up >.<
Yeah... I still need to learn how to manage my time in college so keeping away from smash for a bit :x But at least we bring up good topics in here sometimes, right?

Scar with his yearly post on the Wolf boards reminding us of Scarring <3

Lets not discuss unimportant stuff like wolf's metagame use of ftilt

More importantly, lets discuss ishieymoro's yellow fever:
Dammit JJ :mad: I'm not even going to let you know about my asian girl adventures. RU is great, I have a feeling that it's just MA that sucks >_>

About ftilt... Yoshi can shield the first hit and punish us before the second hit comes out. YOSHI. His shield takes ****ing 17 frames to drop. Don't let first hit ftilt get shielded by a well-educated opponent :x but it's a solid move, no doubt.

Top Bottom