• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With regard to my fox

King Siegfried

Smash Apprentice
For a long time now, my secondary main has been Falco ... i am technically proficient with him, as I can SHL and pillar my way to victory in most matchups ... but as of late I have grown bored of him .. this led me to Fox.

So i've been working on fox for a couple weeks now ... and with regard to tech skill .. i can shffl all aerials, drillshine/waveshine>smash/nair. I have chaingrabs down on ffallers. I cannot SHDB at all ... but i can SH single shots .. ummm i don't really have that much profficiency at recovery off of the side, what should I work on when it comes to getting back on the stage?

OH yea ... i can gimp pretty well with shinespike.

additionally my worst matchup is against marth on FD .... if he gets a grab, it becomes M2K **** ... how should I try to DI if he gets a grab, and more importantly what tactics should I employ to avoid getting grabbed?

All other advice with regard to improving my fox is welcome .. My peach can handle most matchups .. but i have trouble against sheiks, and i hate peach dittos.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To avoid getting grabbed, it depends on what type of grabs hes doing

If he is shield grabbing you, you have to lcancel and shine him every time.

if he is baiting approaches and pivot grabbing you, you have to play smarter/safer.
1) don't double jump then come down with an aerial. Also known as the "bombsoldier" (watch how many times BS does this to ken in just 1 stock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kPc0EL9sU#t=3m )
2) when you commit to a nair make sure it either hits or you are out of range after you do it (landing on a platform for example). Generally if a marth starts doing this, you should nair later (instead of hitting where he is, aim behind him).
3) Fair/Dtilt/Uair/Utilt/Dash Attack -> grab... gotta avoid the first hit. All of these moves combo into grab, so be careful. Also, any time you have to tech, you are basically in danger of being grabbed.

ipownoobz

Smash Rookie
basically, just use shine a lot cause it comes out in 1 frame (assuming you already know that) and listento sveet. he's pro XD

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Nair shine, sh nair out of shine stops grabs if you land on their shield in the right spot with the original nair. You may have to repeat for longer but by this point you have most likely hit them out of thier shield. Nair is my favorite aerial to use with l canceled shines, but dair has it's uses with shine as well as bair sometimes.

Retreating single lasers work good to keep marth from grabbin you by the edge of the level, which is bad. It's bad if he grabs you anywhere, but by the ledge it's just horrible. It also adds damage and makes marth move towards you, which will give you dd counters to his approaching nair/fair/fsmash/whiff grab.

If he does grab you, di behind him around under 10 and below. 18 -mid 20% start di'ing up and either spam shine or time it for when he regrabs you out of his upthrow. After that, you are ****ed and will be eating a tilt into some kind of bull****. Nothing you can do. Actually theres not much you can do anytime he grabs you, but it's fair because your grabs are amazing vs marth. Up throw combos in to up air nearly guarenteed at all percents, combos into multiple up airs at times. Every time you shine marth it should equal a grab, and we know what grab does for us against marth =).

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
It's difficult to critique your fox without videos of it so I can't tell you what you can improve on, but I can answer your questions.

In regards to Marth, it's a really gay match up for fox. It is in Marth's favor on FD and DI doesn't really matter as his combos are pretty automatic on fox. What you can do is smash DI his uptilts up and away to try and avoid getting hit again. You can also shine him after falling from his up throw at low-mid percentage. Just remember that he wants to get you off the stage because it's an easy kill from there so avoid the edge at all costs. It's better to DI into the stage and let him get more hits on you and end up taking more percentage than getting thrown off stage and losing a stock.

Also, when you get thrown off the stage by the ledge, shine stall and sweetspot the edge with your jump to throw him off and possibly make him mess up his edge guard. If he runs off to spike you, you can jump out of your shine stall with another shine and get a kill.

King Siegfried

Smash Apprentice
thx alot guys ... my fox has improved significantly in the last week, and while i still lose the majority of my matches against marth on FD, its by an average of 1 stock as opposed 3 stock beatings i was getting before. nairshinenairshine worked nice for shield pressure and im just a lot more hoppy so to speak so it's harder for him to get the grab in .... also shine gimps and uthrow to uair are my best weapons.

Top Bottom