• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wired GC controllers confirmed!

R0Y

Smash Master
This isn't odd at all, this is a smart business decision and will make a lot of hardcore fans happy. Win-win.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
GameCube controllers are expensive and after years of use I have 2 out of 4 that are still good (not to mention in another country right now). I really hope they sell Cube controllers too!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
GameCube controllers are expensive and after years of use I have 2 out of 4 that are still good (not to mention in another country right now). I really hope they sell Cube controllers too!
I'm sure they will, as those seen in the video have a Smash symbol on it, implying a new design.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We just broke Nintendo history.

Reverse-reverse compatibility confirmed!
That's the iffy part to me. Big-time iffy one. Pro Controller was already out there, why do we need a controller that'll potentially make it obsolete?

Maybe I take my words back from my last post and hope this controller won't be prominent in next Wii U-games. Otherwise GamePad's implementation and creatives ways of use unfolded yet to us is gonna diminish...

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Oh well. Congratulations.

I'm honestly preferring button layout of Pro Controller, but this thing is wired. Decisions decisions...

R0Y

Smash Master
OH HE MEANS BUSINESS WISE!! Yeah that makes more sense. Still, nicer to fans that the other guys.

I honestly hate casual shaming.
I'm not casual shaming at all. 80 hours of battery life in a wireless controller is insane. Just, now that the GC controller is an option again...I can't let go.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Not gonna lie, I'll keep the Wii U pro controller around for Tekken Tag Tournament, but other than that. GC 4 LYFE

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Is it hoping for too much that I wish they'd release a Wavebird with the Smash logo on it as well?

Yeah. Probably is.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, I was going to crack and spend $50 on a single Pro controller, but...now I have my drawer full of perfectly functioning GameCube controllers to use instead. I doubt this adapter will cost more than a Pro, so...Nintendo actually saved me money, for once.

D

Deleted member

This is amazing.

I have three controller set-ups I can use for Smash Wii U; one with a Game Pad, one for Wii + Nunchuck, one for Wii Remote sideway, and now I can get one for the Gamecube controller. Very pleased to see this happen and I will definitely make sure to invest in this.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
As soon as Melee is released on virtual console the wii u will be the best system ever made. 4 Smash bros games on one console. All compatible with the GameCube controller...

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Oh well. Congratulations.

I'm honestly preferring button layout of Pro Controller, but this thing is wired. Decisions decisions...
this is a serious existential dilemma for me.

I already own like 5 or 6 wii u pros but at the same time i have like 10 gamecube controllers that me and my friends have been using since melee.

I literally do not know what to do or which will be the definitive controller to use, i mean if the gc port extension thing was from a 3rd party I would hands down stick to the wii u pros but it's a 1st party thing that Nintendo clearly wants us to use.
http://i.imgur.com/xkOGV52.jpg

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

I already own like 5 or 6 wii u pros but at the same time i have like 10 gamecube controllers that me and my friends have been using since melee.

I literally do not know what to do or which will be the definitive controller to use, i mean if the gc port extension thing was from a 3rd party I would hands down stick to the wii u pros but it's a 1st party thing that Nintendo clearly wants us to use.

Get it. Then regret it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Coates why do you need six wii u pro controllers

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
This is awesome! I did not see this coming. I'm too excited to phrase this in a way that doesn't sound sarcastic (hint: it isn't sarcastic).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Does anyone know why the adapter has two cords?
One's likely for power and one's likely for the controls themselves. You've got to power & accept controls for four different peripherals. Makes sense to give it a separate power cord

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
um i guess this is puerly for ssb4 and ssb4 wont have a Left bumper since the picture shows none unless its a prototype

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's the iffy part to me. Big-time iffy one. Pro Controller was already out there, why do we need a controller that'll potentially make it obsolete?

Maybe I take my words back from my last post and hope this controller won't be prominent in next Wii U-games. Otherwise GamePad's implementation and creatives ways of use unfolded yet to us is gonna diminish...
It's being advertised strictly for Smash, it's not available for use for other bigshot games like MK8. Even then I don't see why you'd worry about what controllers others use, and it's certainly not going to outshine the Gamepad considering the Gamepad's unique attributes and it coming with the system itself.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
um i guess this is puerly for ssb4 and ssb4 wont have a Left bumper since the picture shows none unless its a prototype
Yes, Nintendo still has the molds and doesn't look like they've modified them one bit. No ZL or ZR.

It'd work fine for GC VC though :p

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Yes, Nintendo still has the molds and doesn't look like they've modified them one bit. No ZL or ZR.

It'd work fine for GC VC though :p
ok just was wondering

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand as much as I love the GCN controller and it's the best ever, the Wiimote+Nunchuku combination is still what I'll play with for Smash. I will still definitely give it a go, though.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Yeah, I never thought Nintendo would ever do this, but SO HAPPY they did!

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
This is seriously awesome, not just because we get to use our trusty ole Cube controllers - the Glory mode, the E3 tournament, the people involved, and now this official adapter are all signs that Nintendo have finally started listening to some of the more niche parts of its fanbase, regardless of how profitable it is compared to say, pouring all of their efforts into more commercials aimed at the Wii Sports audience.

Can we get confirmation of Melee-ish physics and combos next, please?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Alright Nintendo, better start rolling out those 9 player couch co-op 4 Wiimotes(and attachments)+4GC controlers+WiiU game pad games. Actually make those 4 GC controllers 4 GBAs connected with GC link cables. Come on Nintendo we need to think big here.

Top Bottom