• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wired GC controllers confirmed!

D

Deleted member 245254

Given that this was announced in a US-based trailer for a US-based tournament I'm a little concerned for this being available locally here in Japan.

It might be unnecessary worrying but I really don't want to have to wait a month to get this imported over from the states after Smash 4 is released...

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Yeah I do hope it's also compatible with other games too. If not at least the Virtual Console and the Wii games that supported the Gamecube Controller (Brawl, Mario Kart Wii etc)
well im listening to gamexplain and just realized this is an adapter but pdp is making a controller so are they diffrent or the same thing?

D

Deleted member 245254

well im listening to gamexplain and just realized this is an adapter but pdp is making a controller so are they diffrent or the same thing?
It seems like Nintendo basically shot PDP in the face with this announcement, TBH.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
It seems like Nintendo basically shot PDP in the face with this announcement, TBH.
but maybe the gamecube adapter will mainly only for ssb4 and the controller pdp is makeing is for all wii u or pdp is making a updated controller for the adapter

D

Deleted member 245254

Given the "Wii U" logo shown on the adapter I think it's likely this meant to be for more than *just* Smash. I think Nintendo has been pretty forward thinking lately in that regard.

Maybe this is actually just a glorified Mayflash adapter in that while it now can be wired, it still merely converts the inputs to a classic controller. Honestly would not be surprised given it doesn't seem likely they have GC inputs programmed in to the Wii U.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Trick or Treat

It's funny. Before, I was really disappointed that we wouldn't be able to use Gamecube controllers. But then I got the Gamepad and also the Pro Controller and those will be perfectly fine. So I won't need to get this adapter!

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
dude where is this support for the competitive community coming from? This is so bizarre! I love it though! ****ing amaizing!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
dude where is this support for the competitive community coming from? This so bizarre! I love it though! ****ing amaizing!
Nintendo can be quite slow to adapt at times, but paying customers are always very welcome with them.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I thought it was fake until i rewatched the video my friends and i were so hype and speechless so rare nintendo listens to us.

D

Deleted member

I just hope updated GC controllers follow this. That 2nd Z button.
Well, if what they have shown is any indication then that's unfortunately not the case. But they do have cool Smash Brothers logos on them!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I know this is perhaps a weird thought, but is it possible that this adapter was made for the Invitational participants? They can't be expected to play their best with an unfamiliar controller right?

D

Deleted member

I know this is perhaps a weird thought, but is it possible that this adapter was made for the Invitational participants? They can't be expected to play their best with an unfamiliar controller right?
What's the point of announcing it if it's not going to be available for retail? That would be a pretty weird thing to do.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
im glad i dont have to invest in pro controllers, still got all my gamecube controllers and this is a day one buy

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
What's the point of announcing it if it's not going to be available for retail? That would be a pretty weird thing to do.
Not saying they won't be available to the public, I'm just saying that their time of reveal suggests that they are trying to attend to a more immediate demand for them.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

Rane

Smash Rookie
This made me super-excited. I went a few years without playing Super Smash Bros. (2, to be exact), and when I played again, it was on the Wii U (Wii's disc drive broke), so I'm stuck using the Wiimote and Nunchuck. While I didn't always have a problem with that control scheme, it seems I've lost my mojo. I'm just hoping my muscle memory will kick in with the GC controller.
Regarding the two USB ports, I'm probably going to use an AC adaptor for the power to save a port.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
That video reveal kind of turned me on. With the sexy music and everything. All that was missing was the lingerie and the rose petals.

Thank you nintendo.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If I plug this thing in the back I can use the front USBs for charging my pro controller.

Genius

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well I must admit, I didn't think there was any possibility of this happening before, it appears I was wrong.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell if they are gonna make gc controllers again? I think that because of this, the demand will rise.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
HOLY GLORIOUS SAKURAI!! Nintendo has finally made peace with the competitive fans, and has brought harmony back to the community. And on that day the people rejoiced triumphantly as Nintendo rises from the ashes to take the throne once more. What a glorious day.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Absolutely amazing. The only reason I ever switched to the Classic Controller Pro 2 or 3 years ago was because I expected that Smash 4 wouldn't have support for the Gamecube Controller. Now we have this.

Time to pull out my old buddy and practice with it again. <3

...And maybe think about replacing it's joystick since the protection rubber on top is completely gone. MAN I've had this thing for a long time. XD

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
When this was show I was just happy but someting I kwon that....

Every Smash player are FREAKING HYPE WITH THIS THING

OH YEAH I GONNA GET ONE AND LET SEE IS WITH CAN BATTLE BETTER WII PRO CONTROLLER, WII REMOTE NUNCLUCK AND TWO OMG NOSTALGIA GAMECUBE CONTROLLER AND WHO IS THE BEST CONTROLERR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Head explode of excitement to battle*

D

Deleted member

Not saying they won't be available to the public, I'm just saying that their time of reveal suggests that they are trying to attend to a more immediate demand for them.

EDIT: Spelling
That makes sense, but at the same time they could have used the PDP controllers they're making as well. Speaking of which, it's kinda weird that they would release both the adapter and the wireless PDP controllers. The adapter is probably going to cannibalize the sales of the PDP controllers, since it doesn't run on batteries and will probably be less expensive

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Aw man, super glad I didn't waste any money on a GC-to-Classic Controller adapter. First off, I was really suspicious that Classic Controllers might not have been supported for Smash 4, which would've meant learning to use the Pro controller, but now Nintendo just goes and makes the damn GC controllers an official option. This is so mindblowingly amazing, I feel like I'm on top of the world right now.

Top Bottom