• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wired GC controllers confirmed!

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I hope this means that Nintendo will release an update or something which allows Wii U Pro controllers that are hooked up to be considered "wired."

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Considering I've lost my only working wired controller, this is absolutely fantastic. Bring GC VC into the picture and allow the controller to work in Wii Mode and it becomes perfect. Shoot Nintendo I was perfectly content with moving on to the Wii U Pro but geez.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So excited! Wire up boys and gals!

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Alright Nintendo, better start rolling out those 9 player couch co-op 4 Wiimotes(and attachments)+4GC controlers+WiiU game pad games. Actually make those 4 GC controllers 4 GBAs connected with GC link cables. Come on Nintendo we need to think big here.
you know they arnt gonna do that

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Alright Nintendo, better start rolling out those 9 player couch co-op 4 Wiimotes(and attachments)+4GC controlers+WiiU game pad games. Actually make those 4 GC controllers 4 GBAs connected with GC link cables. Come on Nintendo we need to think big here.
altho would be diffrent

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I hope this means that plugging in the Wii U Pro via USB will make it a "wired" controller...
Nah, unlike PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/XB1, at least so far....plugging in a Wii U Pro still sends data over Bluetooth, not the USB cord. It's very odd. I dunno if it can be patched if the controller was designed that way internally.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Nah, unlike PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/XB1, at least so far....plugging in a Wii U Pro still sends data over Bluetooth, not the USB cord. It's very odd. I dunno if it can be patched if the controller was designed that way internally.
Well I keep seeing posts about how the Wii U currently does not support wired controllers because the firmware is not set up to do so. It apparently has nothing to do with the hardware itself. And it turns out I didn't word my post correctly.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's a pretty bold statement.

Do you have a source for this?
I don't mean it's literally been stated SMASH ONLY, but rather that it hasn't been advertised for anything else. It was revealed in a Smash video, the promotional art for it has the Smash logo on it, thus far it's only been advertised for Smash and nothing else, so even if it'll be compatible with other Wii U games (which I doubt, since Smash is the only one that's so dependant on the GC controller) it'll only be for future releases, otherwise we'd have heard about it now I'm sure, and there's honestly no reason for existing games to be compatible with it either.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I hope there'll be a wired Pro option, with the better shoulder buttons and clickable analogs and all.

And being able to play Megaman with a wired controller with a decent dpad would be nice.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
WOW just heard that totally unexpected. The wiiu pro controller would have been good enough but this is even better AHHHHHHHHHHH THE HYPE :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::joyful:

I just love the Gamecube controller. I enjoyed it so much for ssbm and ssbb and I will now enjoy it more with ssb4. WOOHOO!!!

I'm not a competitive player but as soon as I saw this, I tough "wired? I know some people who will be VERY VERY VERY happy about this". Well, I'm glad that competitive players won't have any worries on their habits and wireless interference. This is also another reason for me to play online as it's the best controller I've played with.

Again, Nintendo is surprising me this year and the E3 hasn't even started. That's why you should get seriously hyped for June 10; It's GOING to be good.

EDIT: Apparently, #Gamecube is trending on twitter. Glad to see my favourite console get some love :)

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
And the smash controllers live on! This is great news gentlemen. I especially love the fact that they switched out the console logo for the smash logo, it's more accurate that way.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I don't mean it's literally been stated SMASH ONLY, but rather that it hasn't been advertised for anything else. It was revealed in a Smash video, the promotional art for it has the Smash logo on it, thus far it's only been advertised for Smash and nothing else, so even if it'll be compatible with other Wii U games (which I doubt, since Smash is the only one that's so dependant on the GC controller) it'll only be for future releases, otherwise we'd have heard about it now I'm sure, and there's honestly no reason for existing games to be compatible with it either.
Literally could make it work as the other controllers.

They just gotta figure out how to make a ZL button function. I'm thinking Z + L for ZL

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it'd probably work with some other VC games. And I doubt it has any less buttons than the GCN Controller.

It's just aimed towards Smash, having the logo for 4 on it. My guess is that it's got better buttons(like less clicky issues on the L/R Buttons).

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Dang, those cords are short!

But yeah, this is Armageddon.

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
Also just wait until hackers found the way to use this in a PC, that would be pretty awesome too! (I'm looking at you dolphin developers).

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Nintendo delivered. Good ****.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Since I own a Pro controller, I'll likely give it a shot with that, but I also have 2 perfectly functioning Gamecube controllers (and 2 with slightly damaged control sticks). As a result, I'm sure I'll be picking up the wired adapter.

R0Y

Smash Master
Well I keep seeing posts about how the Wii U currently does not support wired controllers because the firmware is not set up to do so. It apparently has nothing to do with the hardware itself. And it turns out I didn't word my post correctly.
Not the Wii U hardware itself, perhaps the Pro Controller itself, easily. Controllers can't be patched either so it'd need to be something done console-side that shuts off bluetooth but tells the controller to send data via USB. Not necessarily feasible.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Great news! I'm a bit salty cause I already dropped money on a classic and pro controller but still fantastic news! Hopefully the adapter is cheap since I'll have to buy wether or not i decide to use the gc controller.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Defeats the purpose of a wired connection, but with the adapter it should send the same signal as a wired controller to the dongle.
thats good, the reason i ask is because its easier for me and my buddies to play spread out in the living room of his house, and so we dont have anyone tripping over the cables as they walk by (the wii got pulled out of the shelf due to that).

R0Y

Smash Master
thats good, the reason i ask is because its easier for me and my buddies to play spread out in the living room of his house, and so we dont have anyone tripping over the cables as they walk by (the wii got pulled out of the shelf due to that).
Yeah, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. GameCube wasn't designed for the Wavebird to begin with but it ended up working well with the existing ports via it's dongle converter. You should be fine.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Nintendo just keeps listening.. Its fantastic! They are finally giving us what we want.
Does anyone feel odd when seeing Nintendo is doing it right? I mean... It's like... Is it the end of the world or something?
And yes.. It does.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well this is very exciting. Not just because the Gamecube controllers are compatible again. But also because we can play Smash with wired controllers.

Yay for not having to worry about the batteries!

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well this is very exciting. Not just because the Gamecube controllers are compatible again. But also because we can play Smash with wired controllers.

Another good point.. No having to john about wireless lag!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Well now I have a legit reason to try to adjust to a GCN controller (a feat of which I struggle immensely to achieve).

But still, I'm happy on everyone else's behalf. No input issues, easier and more convenient connection to consoles, etc. PRAISE BASED NINTENDO!

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006

and maybe other games

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
This is simply glorious.

I hope this will work for other games because the GCN controller is my favorite ever period, not even just for Smash.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So why does the adapter take up both the usb slots?

Also whos hoping for color and decal options? I could go for one with the Metroid logo on it.

R0Y

Smash Master
So why does the adapter take up both the usb slots?

Also whos hoping for color and decal options? I could go for one with the Metroid logo on it.

1 for Power, 1 for data.

Also, in case you don't have a Wii U, there's also 2 on the back.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
1 for Power, 1 for data.

Also, in case you don't have a Wii U, there's also 2 on the back.
Ah ok. Didn't know those needed to be separate. Also who would plug this thing in on the back...unless surprise 8 player mode.

R0Y

Smash Master
Ah ok. Didn't know those needed to be separate. Also who would plug this thing in on the back...unless surprise 8 player mode.
I don't think anyone would, I meant if you plugged this in you'd still have 2 USB ports for your HDD (depending on if it has external power or not will take up 1 or both ports) and another accessory (like the LAN adapter) or charge cable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom