• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winterfest '09 - Dec. 4-6, 2009 Orlando FL *****es!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frames

DI
ok i gotta go to work but i wanted to announce this now im gonna update this later with a huge post

basically i wanted to do fast 2 this year but i got screwed cuz of genesis i dont really feel like fighting for the attendance plus cali hasn't had a big melee tourney like this for a while

so i decided to set something up now aiming for the winter time period

this is gonna be 3 days

melee ONLY

this is the venue it holds 250 people

its the west rotary club in orlando so beast

get ready people cuz here we go!

more info to come

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
No one has to worry about not getting housing, because if you can't find anyone to house you for free, me and Amber will give you all the HONOR of paying $10 to stay at our place. And Amber will make baked goods.

But if paying $10 isn't your thing, then I guess you should ask around in the thread.

I can make a list right here of people who want to house with me and Amber.

Also, if you are a girl, you can stay with us for free.

Also, we will be making shirts for this tournament again, so get hype.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
As long as you're sure the date's wont be changing, i'll be asking these days off from work tomorrow :)

Linguini

Smash Master
ok i gotta go to work but i wanted to announce this now im gonna update this later with a huge post

basically i wanted to do fast 2 this year but i got screwed cuz of genesis i dont really feel like fighting for the attendance plus cali hasn't had a big melee tourney like this for a while

so i decided to set something up now aiming for the winter time period

this is gonna be 3 days

melee ONLY

this is the venue it holds 250 people

its the west rotary club in orlando so beast

get ready people cuz here we go!

more info to come
do it in august man, oc2,fc6 and mlg chicago were all in 1 month and each had over 200 in attendance.

BEHR

Smash Hero
I support my Boy Frames on this but my winter break is on December 19 or some **** like that.

Frames

DI
august is kinda soon i might try for it but i gotta see whats up with school and i would have to pay extra to get this venue to change

also ya its melee only i dont know enough about brawl nor do i care to know enough to host a good brawl tournament so there it will do fine maybe not as big as fast but i'd rather have a small tournament for a game i love with the people i love than host a big tournament for a game i dont like

edit - 8bit is planning a big brawl tournament for the summer anyway so u guys will have that =)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Co-host it with someone, you manage melee, someone else manages brawl.
have both, split the venue apart.

get more attendance, get's more hype.

August seems cool, Snatch up a date as soon as you can though.

Frames

DI
Co-host it with someone, you manage melee, someone else manages brawl.
have both, split the venue apart.

get more attendance, get's more hype.
pass unless somebody wants to cover half the venue fee then you can do a brawl thing but until then gtfo with that also mango juice got 128 for melee singlezzz =)

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter

These are my feelings regarding large tournaments and minimum requirements for them to run well and keep 95% of people happy. It's all opinion, so take it for what you will.

Speaking in terms of man power:

To successfully run a tournament with over 100 people you either need;

1 knowledgeable, fair, and friendly person who is NOT participating in the tournament, and is devoted to running the tournament the entire time (i.e. not wander off).

or

3 knowledgeable, fair, friendly people if they are all attending the tournament, and each must be devoted to coordinating and running the tournament when one of them has to play a match.

To successfully run a tournament with over 200 people you either need;

2 knowledgeable, fair, and friendly person who is NOT participating in the tournament, and is devoted to running the tournament the entire time (i.e. not wander off).

or

5 knowledgeable, fair, friendly people if they are all attending the tournament, and each must be devoted to coordinating and running the tournament when one of them has to play a match.

In terms of setups for any tournament, a good tournament should have 1 Tournament Setup for every 6 people attending the tournament(or 1:6). A great tournament would have 1:4. A ratio of 1:8 or higher usually gets complaints.

The more people attending a tournament, the harder it is to keep track of all players who are playing matches. Brackets larger than 64 people usually end with more than a couple players placing lower than they could have, because of improper seeding.

That's why any tournament with over 100 people should have a round of pools to cut the number of entrants down to at most 64

People who are either temperate, unreasonable, or unskilled in the particular game can almost never hold a large tournament that is widely considered successful.

People who are only holding the tournament to make money can only be successful if they make the exact prizes and entry fee clear from the start, and never change them, especially if they think they will not be making as much money as they thought. You must be willing to accept a monetary loss if your tournament attendance was not as big as you hoped, or if you mishandled your money.

Once again this is all opinion, not fact, so arguing or flaming is completely pointless.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
I now have.. 9 months to train in melee (need soo much help as I'm a nubcake) for this. I shall do it.

Zip.

Smash Lord
I now have.. 9 months to train in melee (need soo much help as I'm a nubcake) for this. I shall do it.
Same here stafu, i guess we'll both be playing marth( i should have money and a ride by that time.. ;p)

Finch

Smash Lord
You should definitely listen to John he has a lot of experience running and attending big tournaments with pools. Thanks for the big post of obvious advice John!

Gindler

Smash Champion
This is so far away, maybe i'll practice up C.Falcon and learn all those fancy "advanced" techniques in time.

Frames

DI
You should definitely listen to John he has a lot of experience running and attending big tournaments with pools. Thanks for the big post of obvious advice John!
come on now finch hes just trying to help and like he said its his opinion hes not trying to force anyone to believe anything

however i will complain

john you use stupid blue text dieeeeee :)

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Captain Falcon's advanced technique is that his knee makes you die.

It's so advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom