• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker Link Confirmed? Animal Crosser deconfirmed?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think people are taking this too far. While the AC rep is out (as well as Ray, from another image).

All it said was that cell shading was basically in the game in some fashion, and it is as we have seen it at least twice.

Also, Zelda is the obvious series to use when comparing designs and techniques for characters, since it is a franchise that is well known and has, within itself, vastly different rendering styles, not just because it's the only one that he could have mentioned.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I doubt that's its a confirmation of WW Link. If he's a hidden, why would sakurai mention him?

Teevo

Smash Rookie
Then why would he have mentioned it on the same topic as designing certain characters from scratch?

Why would he mention Zelda/Gamecube Zelda in particular rather than the various NES sprites he randomly throws in as trophies?

This is strong evidence some kind of cel-shaded Zelda playable character.
Actually, in the interview they were talking about Trophies, not playable characters, so he might have a point, it doesn't really confirm Wind Waker Link at all.

sultanofsurreal

Smash Cadet
Absolutely not a confirmation of WW Link at all. The entire page is nothing but discussion about trophies and stickers. Playable characters are never mentioned and never enter into the equation here. Sakurai was just talking about the difficulty he had in designing models for trophy characters in Melee who come from games which didn't have 3D models at the time (like the Doshin the Giant trophy), and how he used already-existing models for the trophies in Brawl.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Actually, in the interview they were talking about Trophies, not playable characters, so he might have a point, it doesn't really confirm Wind Waker Link at all.
Absolutely not a confirmation of WW Link at all. The entire page is nothing but discussion about trophies and stickers. Playable characters are never mentioned and never enter into the equation here. Sakurai was just talking about the difficulty he had in designing models for trophy characters in Melee who come from games which didn't have 3D models at the time (like the Doshin the Giant trophy), and how he used already-existing models for the trophies in Brawl.
Yep, I effed up pretty bad and overlooked that. Moving along now...

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
my first thought was that sakurai slipped and confirmed ww link. then i realized that they were talking about trophies. the most fun part about waiting for brawl is discovering new characters, but this is hardly a confirmation. for all we know, they could have used the model for link's sister for a trophy. it does lend some credence though...

ruffrydr017

Smash Apprentice
As if Animal Crosser in the background of Smashville wasn't enough "deconfirmation"... Well at least this is probably more official for people.

I'd believe that WW Link is in though. That was too much to over look.

Heliosmash

Smash Rookie
Sakurai said:
The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch.
What the hell? That has to be a mistake! Right?

Didn't Melee development commence before the GC was released in any region?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Theres a wind waker Link trophy already demonstrated in a pic or video somewhere....cant recall where but its in his regular clothing not the green tunic.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
AC is not an option anymore, to be sure.

WW Link probably was referring to his trophy.

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
To me, it seems like they're talking about WW and TP's cel shading and how it was carried into a game without it.

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
I believe this. It's unfortunate, too, because I was looking forward to the possibility of an Animal Crosser. However, I am also looking forward to WW Link; I'm glad he's in. But the worst thing about this update is that it further proves the 35 character roster. Not looking good, folks.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
More poof Sakurai's a narrow-minded troll.
However, while the WW Link does suggest the 35 character roster, don't forget that on two occasions Iwata mentions the large amount of "regular characters."

Revven

FrankerZ
However, while the WW Link does suggest the 35 character roster, don't forget that on two occasions Iwata mentions the large amount of "regular characters."
A large amount of characters for us is different compared to what they believe is a large amount of characters. 35 for them could be huge where as 35 for us is apparently "small".

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
What Sakurai thinks is a "large amount" and what you think is a "large amount" are most likely different. Who knows how many playables he'll bring to the table this time around? I'm just bracing myself for the worst.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I think I'm the only one happy about the AC deconfirmation. AC is supposed to be a peaceful game with no fighting.

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
Tottaly clueless.
We're already playing on in Animal Crossing stage, bringing the havoc of Smash Bros. to their world. We've already upset a "peaceful game". I don't think putting a character in would add to the "injury". Besides, Sakurai has even said that Animal Crossing is instead an Assist Trophy, still plunging the franchise into battle. If you can understand this simple proof, then why are you calling me clueless?

BUM163

Smash Lord
yo, ya need 2 read the interview 4 yaselfs. he uses mr resetti or wateva his name is as an example of that character not being a pc. ya jump into conclusions. the game comes out on friday.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
We're already playing on in Animal Crossing stage, bringing the havoc of Smash Bros. to their world. We've already upset a "peaceful game". I don't think putting a character in would add to the "injury". Besides, Sakurai has even said that Animal Crossing is instead an Assist Trophy, still plunging the franchise into battle. If you can understand this simple proof, then why are you calling me clueless?
Its not that, you went against the dude you quoted saying: "If you like peacefull why play smash bros"

All off the animal crossing characters are peacefull.....they dont fight....AT ALL. Thats what he meant.

Yeah they might enjoy seeing people fight, and Mr.resseti might enjoy talking to you until you want to kill him, but they're not fighters and in that sence, peacefull.

BUM163

Smash Lord
Take Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing or the dog from Nintendogs. How did you go about choosing these characters?

incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.

ya really need 2 stop wit this stupid assumptions that ya do. anything is possible. he just said in the interview their is alot of characters, since this game was into production he figure this is the last smash.

no one has been confirm or deconfirm. meaning a character from ac or ww can b playable.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Come on Sakurai at least put Tom Nook as a PC!
Ok look, I LOVED AC, I played it. It was great.

But Tom Nook as a PC is just....no..

He's a store clerk, what do you want him to do? Throw groceries at you?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Take Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing or the dog from Nintendogs. How did you go about choosing these characters?

incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.

ya really need 2 stop wit this stupid assumptions that ya do. anything is possible. he just said in the interview their is alot of characters, since this game was into production he figure this is the last smash.

no one has been confirm or deconfirm. meaning a character from ac or ww can b playable.
Did you look at the picture? It's a few pages back.

BUM163

Smash Lord
i seen everything. wat does that mean? wait till the game is out. ya did the same thing wit shiek, just cuz she wasn't in tp n ice climbers. did u make the game? do u know whose in the game? ya all must b sakurai under disguise.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Oh no!!! This is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I wanted. I wanted at least one Animal Crossing representative as a playable character and no Windwaker Link. Sakuraiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
i seen everything. wat does that mean? wait till the game is out. ya did the same thing wit shiek, just cuz she wasn't in tp n ice climbers. did u make the game? do u know whose in the game? ya all must b sakurai under disguise.

I'm sorry but....whut?

Your logic....sense it does not make....

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
There's another rumor going around lately about Gulliver being the AC Rep. Come to think of it, he's the only angry looking dude, and one we haven't seen in the AC stage yet. As far as I know anyway.

The Wind Waker Link confirmation seems pretty solid, though.

BUM163

Smash Lord
falco san, wat proof do u have? i'm not disagreein wit anyone or agree. ya tend 2 think ya created the game though or sumthin. then lata on ya b feelin stupid.

BUM163

Smash Lord
exactly. he can use tingle as an assist from ww or anything else. he does not indirectly or directly confirm any character. he just uses an example.

Urser

Smash Apprentice
falco san, wat proof do u have? i'm not disagreein wit anyone or agree. ya tend 2 think ya created the game though or sumthin. then lata on ya b feelin stupid.
Please, stop typing like that.

There is fairly powerful proof that an AC character won't be in Brawl. As for WW Link... I think he will be. But it's not certain.

Top Bottom