• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker, Like or Dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
For the most part, I liked the WindWaker, its classic, just like OoT, except for 1 MAJOR thing... NO HYRULE?! WTF!? Hyrule is the basis behind practically ALL the Zelda games, kinda, I thought when the gods made Hyrule, THATS when they made the triforce, so without hyrukle, wtf happens to the triforce ultimately? Idk, storyline to me sucked, graphics were just ameteur, and frankly, its scares me for the future of Zelda Games. The future of Zelda seems bleak and it makes me sad...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Wind Waker definitely had Hyrule. It was the point of the whole game. Are you sure you played it?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
The cell-shaded look was a nice change of graphics for me. I thought it was pretty good.

The sailing was nice too.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yes i know that, what I'm saying is in the end, he wishes to wipe out hyrule forever, lol
They build a new one, just like how they did at the end of Ocarina of Time. As for my feelings about WW, I posted them on another forum, so I'll just repost:

Wind Waker is definitely one of my top 3 Zelda games. There's something so amazing to me about the colors and the expressions of Link and the fact that you actually have an adventure game with a bright, almost-happy setting as opposed to the standard doom-and-gloom of story-driven games. There's a sense of joy to be had when playing Wind Waker, because I feel they did a wonderful job of portraying the youthful heroism of Link, and the people who help him on his journey.

WW also has a sense of artistic direction, much like other cel-shaded games (Dark Cloud 2 immediately comes to mind for me as well). Whereas OoT immediately looks dated now, WW still holds its own because it represents an art style, as opposed to simply being the most graphically advanced thing possible at the time. Graphics get dated, style doesn't. Also, I may be the only person ever who actually enjoys sailing.

WW had my favorite Link, and my favorite Ganondorf by far. OoT actually introduced Ganondorf as a character as opposed to a faceless endboss, and WW successfully expanded on that character in my opinion. He's a little wiser, and more reflective, but he still harbors the same greed and hate that make him such a compelling villain. They've just been tempered by age, until he unleashes it in a vengeful but ultimately futile attack. The Triforce is beyond his grasp, but he still hates, and Link and Zelda's lives are a consolation prize. To me, Twilight Princess represented a huge step backwards in terms of Ganondorf, to the days of Ganon/Aghanim, where Ganon is nothing more than a puppeteer of a much more interesting villain (in this case, Zant) and simply makes a cameo appearance at the end.

I could continue singing the praises of WW forever, but I'll sum it up as such: I think Wind Waker (along with Majora's Mask), is one of the more ambitious and unique Zelda games, and I love it for the vision and risk-taking demonstrated. Fantastic gameplay is par for the course for a Zelda game; it's everything else that makes this one of my favorites.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Just know there's spoilers in this post.

It's my personal favorite Zelda for the very reason that it doesn't take place in Hyrule (Well, traditional Hyrule if you want to get anal on me.).

In other words, I loved it because it didn't do the same thing as what pretty much 90% of the other flagship Zelda games do. There's no Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, no Zora's Domain, no Lost Woods, no Kakariko village, Ganondorf is sympathetic and even interesting. The three goddesses may not be the saints we all want them to be, and neither is the Hyrule family. The story was genuinly extremely dark (ironically contrasting the graphics.). Races of old are on the verge of extinction, and the old Hyrule we've been spoiled by was torn apart by essentially a power struggle between kings. The world is new and unfamiliar. The game was unfamiliar, bittersweet, and was all about consequences and in the end...it seemed like -an- end to Zelda in general with a genuine conclusion. Something I'm sure uneased a lot of long time fans. I loved it.

It did have some familiar things like Zelda is the tomboy character, and finding the Mastersword...but for the most part it's the Zelda game with the most unique scenerio.

Twilight Princess afterwards looked very cool, and it was fun...but I couldn't help but feel like it was back to business as usual.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I feel that Majora's Mask was the most unique scenario-wise, since it totally ditched everything Ganon, Triforce and Master Sword related.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I keep forgetting Majora's Mask is one of the flagship titles. Though as awesome as it was I've always thought of it as an expansion of Ocarina of Time, which it kind of was. Whereas Wind Waker was kind of a genuine next installement. That doesn't mean it's bad though, Majora's was great.

I still think Wind Waker is the darker game though, for the reason that at the end of Majora you can fix things and save Termina from its pretty grusome fate. At the end of Wind Waker no matter what you do, Hyrule is screwed and there's no saving it. Link and Zelda basically have to pick up the pieces and start all over.

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I guess your right in the sense that its totally new, no more kakariko, zora's domain, ect. it was cool and awesome in OoT, but to keep putting them in different games is like playing the same game, i guess its just harder for me to let go of Hyrule, but link ( or at least is reincarnations) do need to move on, but i LOVE tetra! :chuckle: as for the sailing, fun at first, then it got tedious, then i got the warping spell and it was fine... The Wind Waker (the instrument) I thought was sorta of a poor attempt at re-creating the ocarina... But without it, there would be no name to the game:chuckle:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Even before OoT though Zora's Domain, Death Mountain, Kakariko etc etc were there somewhere. Wind Waker had the balls to send all of that to the bottom of the ocean. lol

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
haha, Idk where the Zoras went though, you'd think they'd be happy, water everywhere, i felt REALLY bad for the kokiri children, idk i felt like i had a connection to them, and where'd the gorons go? vanished completely?? lol, as long as they keep the 3 mains (zelda link ganon) im fine, and every once in awhile give ganon a rest i woldnt care either lol

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
It Was a very good, compelling game. The storyline was absolutely amazing. The races of old had evolved. The Zoras into the rito, the gorons into... sailors. The Kokiri becoming the Koroks. They were absolutely amazing.

Actually, Majora's mask DID have the triforce. The very reason it was fading was because the peaple had given up on the godesses, in fact completely dishonoring them. Take a good look at Ikana tower. You'll see what I mean.

In fact, look at this article: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-legend/the-message-of-majoras-mask/

It is one of the most amazing things ever.

The WW had my favorite ganondorf as well.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
First of all, Zelda Thread? Doesn't this belong there?

Anyway, I loved Wind Waker. Excellent dungeons, fun sailing mechanics, cool items, fun bosses. Everything a Zelda game needs. TP was a disappointment, because of the lack of difficulty.

Toon Kink

Smash Rookie
wind waker is the best zelda, followed by majora's mask and link's awakening. isn't it interesting that the best three zelda games don't take place in hyrule, for the most part? zelda's pretty much not even in majora's mask and link's awakening.

XACE-K

Smash Master
There's a Zelda thread.

Also, it's one of my favorite Zelda games although I haven't played them all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It was infinitely better than TP. Am I the only one that liked the sailing?
No way man. I loved the sailing, and the atmosphere, the cel-shading, and basically everything else about the game.

It quite amazed me, and is probably my favorite Zelda game, right under OoT.

The sailing, and sailing music always made me feel good.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
i loved WW. its my favorite LoZ game. MM is a close second.

its weird that my two favorite gamas are cell shaded. wind waker and jet set/grind radio. i hope the make a JSR wii or atleast a JSRF port.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Definitely enjoyed Wind Waker the most out of any of the recent Zeldas. The art style was terrific, the music fit that style perfectly, the sailing didn't feel like a chore, the characters were interesting, all that jazz. And of course, I loved seeing Hyrule so many years after OoT.

Edit: And I will always remember walking into the Temple of Time and everything being in black and white, and frozen in... er, time. So awesome.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
It's THE best Zelda-game there is. You know it to be true. When you say that OoT or ALttP is better, you're just nostalgic.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
WW was my favourite zelda game, closely followed by Phantom Hourglass.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Windwaker is not only my favorite Zelda game, (I was a late-comer to OoT, and I recongnize it as an amazing game, but there's no nostalgia for me) but one of my favorite games ever.

That one happy villiage with the rich guy, the poor guy, the gang of children- that was the island that defined the game for me. Everything there was so ALIVE- even when I play a game like Oblivion or Mass Effect I don't get that strong of a believable world. Everything was just coordinated so properly, and it was amazing how they could keep the happy mood through such dark times.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Sailing was fun. The Music was great as well, it felt like you were a sailor :p. I really liked this game, the new look was a nice change.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
It looks like a really cool game. But my older brother played it none stop and played it non stop and it bored me to tears so I don't bother playing it no more. But it still looks like a promising game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom