• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will you main the Duck Hunt Dog?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Like the Title says, are you going to?

Personally, I can see myself maining him, but only if I find a good rhythm for his moveset and like how he initiates opponents.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
YES!!!!! In fact, I'm morally obliged to main the dog whether he's good or not. It's a matter of principle, you know, since I was supporting for the dog since 2002.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yup, I'm maining him right next to Yoshi because they made him cute and awesome. Gonna update my sig whenever possible.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
YES!!!!! In fact, I'm morally obliged to main the dog whether he's good or not. It's a matter of principle, you know, since I was supporting for the dog since 2002.
Honestly, out of everybody confirmed by the leaks thus far (besides returning characters Wario, Ganondorf, and Ness), Duck Hunt Dog has gotten the most of my approval and satisfaction.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Not sure why we needed MORE joke characters than we already have, but okay...I'd still take this dog over miss yoga instructor anyday.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Not sure why we needed MORE joke characters than we already have, but okay...I'd still take this dog over miss yoga instructor anyday.
I wouldn't call him a joke character. He and his moveset are callbacks to Nintendo's mechanical days. He's even older than Color TV Game 15.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Honestly, I will take a Joke character with an original moveset over a clone anyday.

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Honestly, I will take a Joke character with an original moveset over a clone anyday.
All clones in this game put together still do not take up as much time as a single original character like Duck Hunt dog. Removing doctor Mario or Dark Pit wouldn't mean any more original characters. At best we'd have 2 or 3 more random non-playable trophies. Removing Duck Hunt dog would give them time to make another original character. People really should stop thinking clones take slots over real ones.

I ain't hatin', though. They could've picked a lot worse. Enjoy man's best friend, DHD mains.

CHAINSAWmuzik

Smash Cadet
I couldnt agree with you more! Plus DHD is really a combination of all the nintendo lightgun games comined, the frisbee the old bandit dudes, kudos to sakurai for pulling this off, I was starting to fear he would just be a banjo kazooie ripoff

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
All clones in this game put together still do not take up as much time as a single original character like Duck Hunt dog. Removing doctor Mario or Dark Pit wouldn't mean any more original characters. At best we'd have 2 or 3 more random non-playable trophies. Removing Duck Hunt dog would give them time to make another original character. People really should stop thinking clones take slots over real ones.

I ain't hatin', though. They could've picked a lot worse. Enjoy man's best friend, DHD mains.
I am not hating on Clones, but when pitting them against Joke characters I will choose Joke characters any day, as long as the Joke characters have original movesets that is.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I am not hating on Clones, but when pitting them against Joke characters I will choose Joke characters any day, as long as the Joke characters have original movesets that is.
Honestly, they're kinda hard to compare. Clones are just quick model changes with a few stats and sounds/effects changed up. Joke characters, even though they're "insignificant", take up equally much time to do as a full-fledged one.

It's in that aspect I'd rather have 5 extra clones than a joke character. There's a bigger chance I'll actually like one of the 5 clones than I'll like a joke character.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Honestly, they're kinda hard to compare. Clones are just quick model changes with a few stats and sounds/effects changed up. Joke characters, even though they're "insignificant", take up equally much time to do as a full-fledged one.
And that is what makes Joke characters so great. They have been fleshed out to stand out fully on their own in terms of uniqueness.

It's in that aspect I'd rather have 5 extra clones than a joke character. There's a bigger chance I'll actually like one of the 5 clones than I'll like a joke character.
Well, that is what you and me disagree on. I like some Clone characters, but it mainly depends on them and even then I don't want too much of them.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
...Ex-CUSE me!?
At least his series is. The Laser Clay Shooting Gallery dates back to 1973, and the specific Duck Hunt mechanical game dates back to late 1976, early 1977. Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley, which are in his moveset, date back to the same time period.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No, I am not maining Duck Hunt Dog. I could main Duck Hunt instead, though. They look fun.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's the closest thing I'll probably ever get to Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, so **** yes I will!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's the closest thing I'll probably ever get to Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, so **** yes I will!
I wasn't the only one who noticed it, eh? Haha.

Yeah, I'll definitely be using him. He's the ROB of Smash 4 for me - An idea which looked ridiculous on paper but played out beautifully.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Not THE main, but he clearly will be a sub main.

This game just doubled the number of character that I'll play in Smash.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Don't know if he'll be a primary or secondary main yet until I play him in SSB Wii U. But he's definitely going to be some sort of main for me. He's honestly the most exciting new character I've seen for the game other than Robin.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
Not THE main, but he clearly will be a sub main.

This game just doubled the number of character that I'll play in Smash.
Agreed. Duck Hunt is looking like a really cool character.

BTW i cringe when ever someone brings up the Joke Character term. Cause most of those "Joke Characters" are actually very important pieces of Nintendo history and should get as much respect as other characters in the game :)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Agreed. Duck Hunt is looking like a really cool character.

BTW i cringe when ever someone brings up the Joke Character term. Cause most of those "Joke Characters" are actually very important pieces of Nintendo history and should get as much respect as other characters in the game :)
More like "Fun character". I like serious characters like Zelda, Palutena, or Robin (female of course :awesome:) but I'm glad Smash is full of funny, cute characters such as the Villager, Duck Hunt Dog or even Ness.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
He will be my secondary, my main will be Dr. Mario (Dat Melee Mario moveset er mer gerd.). But Yeah, I have all intents on maining Duck Hunt, he is an interesting addition and the "Duck Hunt" game was an incredibly fun game back when I was a child.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I honestly was going to be maining Shulk because I loved Xenoblade Chronicles. But I fell in love with the Dog. It was the moment I saw his aerial recovery :p

RadRed

Smash Rookie
NNID
MostEffectual
I don't know 100% at the moment since I have not touched the game at all yet, but needless to say I am in love with this character and will very likely play them a lot.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
When I first saw Duck Hunt in the leak, my thought was, "That's stupid."

After thinking about it for a while, I began to warm up to the idea, and even started to like it.

After seeing Duck Hunt in game on stream, I love the idea. I am totally going to (try to) main Duck Hunt.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Depends if I like him more than Pac or Mega.

I probably will. I ****ing love the light gun games and it really gave me goosebumps seeing the whole Wild Gunman crew in Duck Hunt's FS.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Depends if I like him more than Pac or Mega.

I probably will. I ****ing love the light gun games and it really gave me goosebumps seeing the whole Wild Gunman crew in Duck Hunt's FS.
Same here. Got goosebumps all over my arms and legs when I saw his Final Smash for the first time! It was glorious!!!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I initially hated this guy.

But I saw his Dalmatian alt and did a 180 faster than I did with Lucina.

Not my true main(:4lucina: takes that role) but someone I intend to use.

Top Bottom