• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Ice Climbers become the most requested Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I'd honestly be surprised to see a "Smash 5" before 2020.

You never know though, they might add some "New 3DS" exclusive characters. I seriously doubt it, but you never quite know what they'll do now.
If they add "New 3DS" exclusive characters, but limited the 3DS/Wii U rosters because of making them the same rosters, I'd be PISSED.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I highly doubt they'll become the most requested. I feel like they'll be forgotten about once the game has been out for a little bit. There are far more interesting characters that could be added in future smash games/as future content than the Ice Climbers

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Sakurai admited himself that it's because of the 3DS that some characters (Ice Climbers and probably Chorus Men) didn't make the cut. Only that allow people to hate it, and I fully understand.
So people hate the 3DS version because two or more characters got cut? Still not good enough of a reason to be so bitter about it's existence. We have an amazing roster already, character cut's were to be expected, regardless of hardware limitations or not. We don't even know if the Chorus Men were even considered for playable characters. Honestly, people are acting rather childish about this whole matter. If you can't get over 1 or 2 character's not being in the game, then you've got some issues you need to deal with. I get that Ice Climber's were a favourite for many others but so were Wolf, Snake, Lucas and what not. And yet even with those cut's we have an outstanding 51 character roster if you include the Mii Fighter's 3 classes. Besides, over 1 million copies sold for the 3DS version in the first 3 days proves that people will still buy it regardless because they aren't dependent on two or three characters not being in the roster. They'll buy it because it's freaking Smash Bros. on the go and that in and of itself is amazing in my eyes.

Hate it or love it, that's up to you. I'm sure millions of others will love the crap out of the 3DS version regardless of certain cut characters because they won't hung up over cut content just because the game already feels like a full Smash Bros. experience.

Last edited:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
You know, I think Smash Bros 6 could be for the NEW 3DS since it has a better CPU and maybe they're adding characters like Ice Climbers and maybe Choir Boys. And maybe they'll add them to the Wii U as an update.
Wait, wasn't there a rumor a few months ago that Namco was recruiting people for the development of Smash 6? I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually going to make a remastered version for the New 3DS. Xenoblade alone isn't enough to make people want to buy a new handheld.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Personally, I'm glad the Ice Climbers were given the axe mainly because they weren't that unique of a fighters anyways...to me that is. I wouldn't be surprised if they did make a return for Smash Bros. 5, assuming if there will be one.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think they'll trump the big players. However I think they'll be the most requested cut veteran after Mewtwo.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Well, I personally prefer that they stay out if they can't work on the 3D version without a dramatic overhaul or cutting the AI partner system, but if I absolutely had to include them, this is my idea:

Take both Climbers, and glue them together so that they can't de-sync anymore (like how Duck Hunt has the dog and duck always together after any knockback an they never separate), strip the AI off of the NPC Climber, and just make them a duo character where every attack has a permanent double-strike hitter to keep the teamwork aspect. This way, you can keep both Climbers together without forcing Popo and Nana into alts/clones of each other, they still maximize their fighting potential by keeping the input-mimicking (although this would be fabricated due to the NPC Climber not having AI anymore; it would just be that every attack has both Climbers doing the attack.) and there's no issue of IC's Specials getting borked from an accidental de-sync. Also, glueing them together means they could get some new normals and specials that have both Climbers doing a team attack instead of just the usual "one-after-the-other" animations.

That all said, I would still prefer that they sit this one out, and hopefully can come back in full force for the next game(s) with their moveset and quirks intact.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Or perhaps we can keep them both and make them "New 3DS" exclusive DLC?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
The best chance for the Ice Climbers right now is DLC/addon that is exclusive to the New 3DS

And being double is what makes Ice Climbers unique making it just one or the other just makes them another bland character

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros HAS remade characters before(:4bowser::4zelda::4sheik::4zss::4charizard::4yoshi::ganondorf::falco:....so I say Sopo.
I wouldn't mind them being Wii U exclusives though.
They did not "deserve" to be cut because of weak hardware.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Or perhaps we can keep them both and make them "New 3DS" exclusive DLC?
That'd be impossible, as if you were to play as the Ice Climbers against someone with an original 3DS, that wouldn't work.

If anything, I just want to see them on the Wii U, DLC or an exclusive. I'll be playing the Wii U much more than the 3DS version, and Sakurai has confirmed that they work on the Wii U, you can their crowd chant in the 3DS version, and they have great looking models already in the game, so it would be ridiculous to have them not appear as DLC eventually. If they don't appear in at least the Wii U version, I will be baffled, as the 3DS would have had held the Wii U version back, which is an incredibly stupid move.

Anyway, I'd honestly rather have no Ice Climbers than SoPo, as that just ruins the entire gimmick of the Ice Climbers, and SoPo just sounds like a boring character.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I'd honestly rather have no Ice Climbers than SoPo, as that just ruins the entire gimmick of the Ice Climbers, and SoPo just sounds like a boring character.[/quote]
Well Smash4 is trying to get rid of gimmicks..
While SoPo does sound kinda lame, an unique moveset could make up for it.

Vvaid0

Smash Rookie
Id be up for sopo only. After all in the nes game you dont play as 2 characters. They don't have to be paired up to represent their game.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
So people hate the 3DS version because two or more characters got cut? Still not good enough of a reason to be so bitter about it's existence. We have an amazing roster already, character cut's were to be expected, regardless of hardware limitations or not. We don't even know if the Chorus Men were even considered for playable characters. Honestly, people are acting rather childish about this whole matter. If you can't get over 1 or 2 character's not being in the game, then you've got some issues you need to deal with. I get that Ice Climber's were a favourite for many others but so were Wolf, Snake, Lucas and what not. And yet even with those cut's we have an outstanding 51 character roster if you include the Mii Fighter's 3 classes. Besides, over 1 million copies sold for the 3DS version in the first 3 days proves that people will still buy it regardless because they aren't dependent on two or three characters not being in the roster. They'll buy it because it's freaking Smash Bros. on the go and that in and of itself is amazing in my eyes.

Hate it or love it, that's up to you. I'm sure millions of others will love the crap out of the 3DS version regardless of certain cut characters because they won't hung up over cut content just because the game already feels like a full Smash Bros. experience.
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong... but wasn't it said that the 3ds version wouldn't hold back the wii u version towards the beginning of production? Yet here we are. So much production time was put into the 3ds, and people feel like that time could have been better used focusing on one game.

51 characters is impressive, but still to be told they were working on one version and not the other so they were scrapped is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Plus add in statement they weren't very popular to begin with, might as well crap on any hope of them returning in the future. Feels like they are gone for good, because they had to have a 3ds version.

Also yes the game did sell millions, but its not like everyone even knew who the playable characters were at the time. Unless they fully believed the leak was real and complete.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong... but wasn't it said that the 3ds version wouldn't hold back the wii u version towards the beginning of production? Yet here we are. So much production time was put into the 3ds, and people feel like that time could have been better used focusing on one game.

51 characters is impressive, but still to be told they were working on one version and not the other so they were scrapped is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Plus add in statement they weren't very popular to begin with, might as well crap on any hope of them returning in the future. Feels like they are gone for good, because they had to have a 3ds version.

Also yes the game did sell millions, but its not like everyone even knew who the playable characters were at the time. Unless they fully believed the leak was real and complete.
Yeah, I feel Sakurai should have said nothing in regards to the Ice Climber's. If he hadn't, the outrage wouldn't have been so bad and people would have accepted them not being in the game more readily. Not saying everyone would accept that fact but most would. Unfortunately he had to make a comment about them and look what happened. This may sound cold but I'm personally happy they were gone. They were the one character I never touched unless I needed to for Classic or All Star. I honestly couldn't care less that they aren't returning and in some ways I'm glad they aren't. Not to mention they were a pain to battle against. However, personal bias aside, tis a shame they are gone for those who enjoyed playing as them. They're future in Smash Bros. is indeed grim and having them be removed from the current roster doesn't bode well. Although, Dr. Mario returned so you can never say never in regards to certain characters.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yeah, I feel Sakurai should have said nothing in regards to the Ice Climber's. If he hadn't, the outrage wouldn't have been so bad and people would have accepted them not being in the game more readily. Not saying everyone would accept that fact but most would. Unfortunately he had to make a comment about them and look what happened. This may sound cold but I'm personally happy they were gone. They were the one character I never touched unless I needed to for Classic or All Star. I honestly couldn't care less that they aren't returning and in some ways I'm glad they aren't. Not to mention they were a pain to battle against. However, personal bias aside, tis a shame they are gone for those who enjoyed playing as them. They're future in Smash Bros. is indeed grim and having them be removed from the current roster doesn't bode well. Although, Dr. Mario returned so you can never say never in regards to certain characters.
Yeah, he could've just stayed quiet. But we pretty much all assumed that limitations had something to do with it. So now our outrage is justified :awesome:
Relax I'm not here to argue. I still realize that friendship is more important :awesome::awesome:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I'll agree to that... I'm glad he said it though. Just crappy that it sounds like even the hope of them returning seems bleak, when they could have been playable... but I guess having them playable on one system is unfair/confusing for their market. But they'll release two new 3ds consoles which will confuse them.

I thought they were fun to play against. =x

Doctor mario is just a glorified costume, adding ice climbers back into smash would have to include work. I just don't think it'll happen. Plus I'll never get an ice climbers amibbo which sucks.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just another reminder to stay on topic, guys. Arguments about "inferior Smash games" and the like have no place in this thread.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'll agree to that... I'm glad he said it though. Just crappy that it sounds like even the hope of them returning seems bleak, when they could have been playable... but I guess having them playable on one system is unfair/confusing for their market. But they'll release two new 3ds consoles which will confuse them.

I thought they were fun to play against. =x

Doctor mario is just a glorified costume, adding ice climbers back into smash would have to include work. I just don't think it'll happen. Plus I'll never get an ice climbers amibbo which sucks.
Yeah, I suppose ripping off the bandage fast rather than slow is the way to go for how Sakurai handled explaining Ice Climber's absent. I'm sure he got quite a few letters/emails about that. And I wouldn't up hope on them yet. Gotta have faith :) Yeah unfortunately it would not only confuse everyone but it would piss 3DS owners off.

To each they're own I suppose. I'm glad that many people enjoyed the Ice Climber's but for me personally, I never really gelled with them. I'm not saying I hate them but I'm not sad they are gone personally. But like I said, it sucks for those who enjoyed Ice Climber's which seems to be a great deal of people.

Good point. Still, I wouldn't give up just yet.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yeah, he could've just stayed quiet. But we pretty much all assumed that limitations had something to do with it. So now our outrage is justified :awesome:
Relax I'm not here to argue. I still realize that friendship is more important :awesome::awesome:
Haha, don't worry, I'm not worried about you arguing with me. We each have our differences and opinions on certain matters but we all love Smash Bros. and that's why we are here :) That's most certainly one thing we can agree on.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I just realized this means no IC Amiibo. Aw man now I'm really sad... Can we at least get a retro one for NES Remix?

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
lol only on smashboards. I don't know I was the only one that used ice climbers out of my friends and I could care less they are gone personally. I still can't wait for the game to come out. I think with the roster the game will be fine to competitive and the casual community. sure the controls are a little wonky but they are wonky for everyone playing it. I'll probably have 500 hours into my copy before the Wii U version comes out. I can't wait to swith the layout of the shoulder buttons my god. RIP ice climbers

sm0kemonster

Smash Rookie
Personally, I never used them in serious matches, and I didn't particularly enjoy fighting against them. To be blunt, I am glad to see them gone.

I cannot be the only one feeling this way.

--My own, biased opinion.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
So Sakurai says the different versions are not the same installment, yet the 3DS limitations affect the Wii U version? That's absolute bull****. They are clearly not 4 & 5, they are 4 together,

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Personally, I never used them in serious matches, and I didn't particularly enjoy fighting against them. To be blunt, I am glad to see them gone.

I cannot be the only one feeling this way.

--My own, biased opinion.
Not your not the only one as I feel the same way. Although it's not exactly the most popular opinion, it's still a valid opinion either way. Everyone has they're own personal, bias opinions in terms of which character's they like or don't. We just happen to be the few that are glad to see them gone. However, I am not without sympathy towards the many who do enjoy the Ice Climber's.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804