• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Ice Climbers become the most requested Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Ice Climbers on 3DS is an impossibility, unfortunately. But without getting into a "is 3DS holding Wii U back" debate, there is one potential solution that might come into play eventually;

Buff the Solo Ice Climber to work as a standalone.

I understand that this is not ideal, but it may be the only option we get in future games or DLC. So would this be a good compromise or do more harm than good?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It's been done, it's over. The Ice Climbers are gone, and at this time the only chance is DLC, but that's only if they can solve the 3DS issues.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's been done, it's over. The Ice Climbers are gone, and at this time the only chance is DLC, but that's only if they can solve the 3DS issues.
I know. I know. I got it. I get the concept. I'm just saying this is one potential way they might go in order to solve the 3DS issues.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
really?! thats pretty stupid. They are both smash 4 in my mind, so there. If they had differing rosters I could go along with that, but they don't.... *looks longingly at ice climbers* so I can't say thats justified.
I wouldn't necessarily say a different roster selection is a cause for completely different games, per se. Soul Calibur 2 was still Soul Calibur 2 regardless if you got Link, H. Mashima, or Spawn... But, eh...

I don't main, or really use Ice Climbers for that matter, but they where one of the most unique characters in Smash Brothers and it is a shame to let that style of play fade out of existence because of the 3DS' limitations. I would advocate their inclusion in Smash 6.

In all honesty, I hate character cuts. As much as I despise Pittoo's inclusion if he was cut for Smash 6 I would at least ask he return as a palette swap. (Like he should have been) Cuts hurt, man. I would be all for Pichu coming back if they could do it right.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I'm for OP SoPo though I feel it just wouldn't be the same without the wobbling Nana by his side. Still, it's better then the situation now..

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
Duck hunt dog and rosalina will both be playing how ice climbers were i believe, so i really dont think they will be highly requested at all

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I love sopo, but a big part of the character's appeal was controlling two characters at once. It was really the bulk of their appeal, and I'd almost rather have neither than just a shadow of the original.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm for OP SoPo though I feel it just wouldn't be the same without the wobbling Nana by his side. Still, it's better then the situation now..
My thoughts exactly. Unless they did something like animating them both at 30 FPS, this might be all we'll get.

Besides, veterans have had their entire playstyle altered before - take Mario.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
What I don't get is if rosalina and luma work...why on earth cant ice climbers. and superman duck hunt plays nothing like IC. The duck is mostly just aesthetic. It isnt separate.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I know. I know. I got it. I get the concept. I'm just saying this is one potential way they might go in order to solve the 3DS issues.
It would gut the unique aspect of them, they may as well not be in (hence the thread I guess). It would be like making Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clo...

...oh...

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Even though I will only be playing the 3DS version I personally think that if they had troubles it should just be a Wii U exclusive

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Chaining grabbing was a huge part of their game and with it gone it wouldn't be the same.
99% on Smash players don't know about their chain grab. No one would care if it was removed and that's a ridiculously weak reason to say it's good that they're gone. Just fix the exploit.

They shouldn't have been removed from the Wii U version in the first place. There's no issue with having a character only be on one device if they only work on that device.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do think this would of been a good alternative to outright removing them. Popo and Nana could even be alts in the same way the Male and Female Wii Fit Trainer as well as Robin are. Sure, it wouldn't be the same. But at least they'd still be in the game in some capacity. And if people really miss them being a team, there's always Team Battle.

It also kinda feels like it'd be a little more faithful to the original game. At least if you played it solo. In 1P mode of Ice Climber, you play as just Popo.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
What I don't get is if rosalina and luma work...why on earth cant ice climbers. and superman duck hunt plays nothing like IC. The duck is mostly just aesthetic. It isnt separate.
Think of the Luma as a portable hitbox. It adds very little strain to the game overall, as it has only very simplistic AI, most likely only a "move" command and a "jump" command.

However, the Ice Climber's AI is a LOT more complicated and for the game to run what is essentially 1 player character and one very complicated AI is quite the strain on the system, a lot more so if there's more than one of them. Now imagine four of them. Melee slowed down with four Ice Climbers on Fountain of Dreams, so I have no doubt that this version would, too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Doubt it. Maybe from the "Why cut characters?" stance, but from any sort of balance stance, they were pretty rough to have around. I'd rather they stay cut unless they return completely reworked.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
IC were in my list of most played characters, they shouldn't have being cut because of hardware limitation or balancing (why the chain grab needs to be OP? Just nerf it enough to make it balanced). But it's Sakurai's game, I'm glad I have Smash and let's hope we will see then again soom

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Why not make Nana like the Luma? A limited second character that will have most of her's original tools with modifications, everybody wins.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
lol@ casuals that never played Ice Climbers or Mewtwo worrying about them not being in smash 4. If you never played the character or attempted to play the character to your best ability why fret over a character that I never saw anyone use? Still blows my mind. Only the pros used Ice Climbers. If you couldn't wave dash/chain grab/wobble/desk grab they were useless. Why does anyone care? It seems the casuals are crying for IC's the most yet if they could still desynch there would be a petition to remove that mechanic. It's like an angry mob of people crying for a character that only a handful of people could even come close to using properly.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Rework Popo to be a valid character, and obviously, just make Nana a Popo clone. Everyone's happy except the balance-breakers who love infinite-ing people for each stock.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Why does anyone care? It seems the casuals are crying for IC's the most yIt's like an angry mob of people crying for a character that only a handful of people could even come close to using properly.
I'm really having some trouble to understand what your wrote. 1st you make the assumption that there are only two type of players: pros and casuals. Then you consider the reasons for the casuals to want them back invalid because they can't use the characters in a competive level?
There are many misconceptions here

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I'm really having some trouble to understand what your wrote. 1st you make the assumption that there are only two type of players: pros and casuals. Then you consider the reasons for the casuals to want them back invalid because they can't use the characters in a competive level?
I'm not making the assumption there are only two types or players. I'm telling you only a pro could be effective with Ice Climbers. On a casual level no one plays them. Even casual players know they stink. Only until you start learning all the tech I listed in my previous post do the ice climbers start to even become viable. That's in a casual setting, casual competitive, competitive, or even Evo championship. I'm saying it's invalid to even want the ice climbers back as a casual player because even the casual players knew they couldn't properly control the Ice Climbers and never picked them.

Back before youtube was the norm people put videos for download on here that could be played on windows media player or any other video player. Correct me if I'm wrong community but I believe "desk" is the one that discovered desynching and chain grabbing for the Ice Climbers. Once I saw this vid I went home and practiced it for hours. In a two hour span I probably got it to work maybe 4 times because I couldn't figure out the timing correctly. My point is that even in a casual setting I saw no one use Ice Climbers and even after desynching was figured out only a select few across the states even played the Ice Climbers properly. So once again, who are these people that are angry Ice Climbers are not in the game and why? You can bet your bottom dollar if you could still wobble with them there would be a thread with over 1000 replies already screaming to remove it from the game even though maybe 20 people would ever be seen ever using it at a tournament in America. Why the hell does anyone even care the Ice Climbers are not in the game besides the 20 people that consistently used them in Project M and melee? Be glad they're not in the game and having those 20 people causing you to ragequit throwing your 3ds across the room. The meta just got that much simpler for you.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Initially, a rare amount of people really play Ice Climbers seriously or at all to begin with. So the moment they got cut, said minority plus a weird wave of "fans" came out of the woodwork and did not like the decision. Even though more than likely they wouldn't play them as much in this installment or future ones anyways.

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I'm still holding out hope that Sakurai will make the Ice Climbers exclusive Wii U DLC. I need them back. I now feel the pain of Mewtwo fans.

They'll definitely be the most requested character for Smash 6 behind Mewtwo and Ridley.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
So many stupid posts in this thread I'm not even going to address any of them.

I feel the majority of there fans come from smash not their aging title.
What does that have to do with anything?
You think Mewtwo's inclusion into Melee doesn't have anything to do with people wanting him in?
The amount of people that want Roy back > the amount of people that actually played the game he was in

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
@ smashbroskilla smashbroskilla
But the thing is I'm not a competitive scene player, but I'm really good with IC, at least in the circle of people that I play. There's no data to reach the conclusion that most people didn't use them outside tournaments, they are as hard to play as Olimar yet I can't say that only pro players have the guts to play with him. You may have your experience, but you can't state that as a fact.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Most requested? probably not. Highly requested, probably.
I will admit, I'm not great with ICs, but I kept them as secondary's because I liked their play style, so I hope they make a return, even if its only on the Wii U.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
@ smashbroskilla smashbroskilla
But the thing is I'm not a competitive scene player, but I'm really good with IC, at least in the circle of people that I play. There's no data to reach the conclusion that most people didn't use them outside tournaments, they are as hard to play as Olimar yet I can't say that only pro players have the guts to play with him. You may have your experience, but you can't state that as a fact.
You are 100% correct. From my experience and the thousands of smash games I've played I never see them used.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I don't see the harm in having ICs as Wii U exclusives and Wolf or Lucas as a 3DS exclusive.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I wouldn't hold my breath on them becoming the most requested characters. Mewtwo and Ridley will more than likely reign supreme on that one, unless somehow they become DLC characters or something along those lines. I would say that they will become a character heavily requested by the competitive Smash scene, that much is certain. Personally I'm fine with them being cut and I couldn't care less if they return but that's just me. Obviously they have a large enough fan base to warrant being a character in Smash Bros. so I do feel they will make a return in the next Smash Bros. game.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
That would be awful to have good characters stuck to the bad version so how about no..

Ice climbers should just be Wii u exclusive 3ds people should pay up for a Wii u if they really wanna use Em that bad.
Holy crap! How many times do people have to say it? There is no bad version of Smash Bros. Despite your "feelings" about it, the 3DS version will stand strong as a testiment to game design and utilizing the 3DS to it's fullest. I get that people have they're preferences and what not and obviously people feel more strongly to the Wii U because of graphics, controls options, having more modes, stages, ect. However, to call the 3DS version the "bad" version is stupid and childish. There are many within the Smash Bros. competitive scene that view the 3DS version as a full, complete and very well done Smash Bros. game. We shouldn't need to compare the Wii U and 3DS version because obviously there will be differences due to hardware limitations and what not. But that should not force us to automatically label the 3DS version as the "bad" version by any means. Honestly, I'm getting really sick and tired of people droning on about that. It's downright ignorant and unfair in many ways.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Warning Received
The 3ds has no competitive value due to poor controls and is therefore irrelevant IMO. The lack of content also makes it poor. The thing can't even hold proper frame rates.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Holy crap! How many times do people have to say it? There is no bad version of Smash Bros. Despite your "feelings" about it, the 3DS version will stand strong as a testiment to game design and utilizing the 3DS to it's fullest. I get that people have they're preferences and what not and obviously people feel more strongly to the Wii U because of graphics, controls options, having more modes, stages, ect. However, to call the 3DS version the "bad" version is stupid and childish. There are many within the Smash Bros. competitive scene that view the 3DS version as a full, complete and very well done Smash Bros. game. We shouldn't need to compare the Wii U and 3DS version because obviously there will be differences due to hardware limitations and what not. But that should not force us to automatically label the 3DS version as the "bad" version by any means. Honestly, I'm getting really sick and tired of people droning on about that. It's downright ignorant and unfair in many ways.
Sakurai admited himself that it's because of the 3DS that some characters (Ice Climbers and probably Chorus Men) didn't make the cut. Only that allow people to hate it, and I fully understand.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
You know, I think Smash Bros 6 could be for the NEW 3DS since it has a better CPU and maybe they're adding characters like Ice Climbers and maybe Choir Boys. And maybe they'll add them to the Wii U as an update.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You know, I think Smash Bros 6 could be for the NEW 3DS since it has a better CPU and maybe they're adding characters like Ice Climbers and maybe Choir Boys. And maybe they'll add them to the Wii U as an update.
I'd honestly be surprised to see a "Smash 5" before 2020.

You never know though, they might add some "New 3DS" exclusive characters. I seriously doubt it, but you never quite know what they'll do now.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Make Nana an alternate costume of Popo, like Alph is of Olimar.
Popo didn't have Nana constantly mimicking him in Ice Climber, so I see no reason why he should in Smash.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Duck hunt dog and rosalina will both be playing how ice climbers were i believe, so i really dont think they will be highly requested at all
Duck Hunt plays more like Olimar, except without plucking or dying ducks. Rosalina plays differently, as Luma is completely incapable of moving without player input, unlike Nana (Popo if using specific alts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom