• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Ice Climbers become the most requested Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Mewtwo had a HUGE fan base, and he was cut in Brawl and was only in one game. becoming the single most requested character after Ridley and on par with K Rool.

You think ICs will trump them now?

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
No I don't, Ice climbers were a neat character design but I feel the majority of there fans come from smash not their aging title. I personally don't want them back due to balancing issues/removal of identity.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
No I don't, Ice climbers were a neat character design but I feel the majority of there fans come from smash not their aging title. I personally don't want them back due to balancing issues/removal of identity.
removal of identity?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Ridley and Mewtwo are in Smash 4 somehow, I can see Ice Climbers being "the" character requested for Smash 6. They WILL likely come back in the next game, after all the next handheld will be more powerful than the 3DS (I really doubt they will stop making handheld Smash after Smash 3DS).

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Eh looking at the millions of copies its sold and will continue to sell, i highly doubt it. it may continue without Sakurai, but it will continue
I dont get what the point would be though, if they are forced to cut all stars everytime would people want really to deal with that I mean lets face it after the big 3 and the cuts nintendo's at the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I've been wanting an original new Ice Climbers games for awhile and after seeing the Kid Icarus Uprising reboot, I could totally see an RPG or something crazy featuring the Ice Climbers. It is tragic that they were removed (along with Wolf and Lucas, I cannot get over this!) but I really don't think the request for them will surpass Mewtwo.

With the next Nintendo console, likely being hybrid, I think they'll just return as well as some other characters that were removed such since there won't be a big limitation.

What I don't get is why that was the reason for their removal. Smash Bros 3DS isn't a technically impressive game. That honor goes to Resident Evil Revelations. For crying out loud- Capcom had a version of Resident Evil 5 running on 3DS where the Wii allegedly couldn't get past the title screen. And Kid Icarus Uprising had a chapter where tons and tons of enemies came on screen and I vaguely remember Viridi making a joke about how many enemies are showing up and testing limits.

Might not be a limit thing but more of balancing and how frustrating it must be programming Ice Climbers to fit in the 3DS version.

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
I think Mewtwo will always be the most requested character for Smash. Although I can see Ice Climbers being up there. I love IC and I want them to return.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I think the ice climbers will have their good byes but from what ik most people didn't use or cared for them while they were in the game. Knowing Sakurai being the troll he is. He will make them a event stage boss just like Ridley:troll:

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
You know, I've been thinking. I think Smash Bros 6 could be for the NEW 3DS since it has a better CPU and maybe they're adding characters like Ice Climbers and maybe Choir Boys. And may they'll add them to the Wii U as an update.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I dont get what the point would be though, if they are forced to cut all stars everytime would people want really to deal with that I mean lets face it after the big 3 and the cuts nintendo's at the bottom of the barrel.
Splatoon and Code Name STEAM. If Nintendo makes more of those, we can definitely have a good batch of newcomers for the next time. Inklings, Henry, Captain Toad, Lana. Maybe Takamaru will actually becomes relevant later on this generation. Now that most of the old Nintendo has been taken care of, it's time to look to the future, baby.

But yes. Ice Climbers have my support for the next one. You have my word...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
In the Famitsu interview, Sakurai confirmed that they worked on WiiU but not on 3DS...
End results ? Cut.
That's sad that the 3DS prevented them from coming back, really.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ore-in-new-famitsu-column/#comment-1592636727

Funny all the decisions Sakurai made. Removed semi-clones to add full clones, tried making the rosters the same (cutting IC and probably Chorus Men)...
Now that's BS. Just put the IC on WiiU, you already made them. Why wasting them ? To be fair to the 3DS ? God...

Yes.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I want the Ice Climbers back, not because I actually think their moveset and playstyle are fun to use or play against, but because...
...I think they're just too damn cute. :grin:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley and Mewtwo get into Smash 4, this will most likely happen. The Ice Climbers being in the starer roster in Melee and Brawl should be enough to make them shoot to the most requested character for Smash 5 and/or DLC if it happens.

In the Famitsu interview, Sakurai confirmed that they worked on WiiU but not on 3DS...
End results ? Cut.
That's sad that the 3DS prevented them from coming back, really.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ore-in-new-famitsu-column/#comment-1592636727

Funny all the decisions Sakurai made. Removed semi-clones to add full clones, tried making the rosters the same (cutting IC and probably Chorus Men)...
Now that's BS. Just put the IC on WiiU, you already made them. Why wasting them ? To be fair to the 3DS ? God...
Seriously, why couldn't he just make an exception of the characters being in both versions for them? if they had cut them early in development, that would have been less of a bad idea, but scraping a character that they had got to function to some degree on the Wii U version seems more like a waste of time then anything.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I want the Ice Climbers back, not because I actually think their moveset and playstyle are fun to use or play against, but because...
...I think they're just too damn cute. :grin:
Like I said, maybe they'll be back in the NEW 3DS based on my speculation a few posts ago.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They'll probably become one of the most requested, but I don't think they'll trumph Mewtwo who has a previous Smash game on his belt PLUS actually being beloved in his own franchise. As long as the next handheld is powerful enough to run them they're guaranteed anyways, that is if we get a handheld version again.

Last edited:

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
After reading that the Ice Climbers were cut due to 3DS limitations, I'm not upset. However, I would be upset if I owned a WiiU, but Sakurai did say that the two rosters would be the same. I'm just hoping for Sakurai to figure out how to program the Ice Climbers into the 3DS and release them as DLC for the 3DS and WiiU.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
They'll probably become one of the most requested, but I don't think they'll trumph Mewtwo who has a previous Smash game on his belt PLUS actually being beloved in his own franchise. As long as the next handheld is powerful enough to run them they're guaranteed anyways, that is if we get a handheld version again.
Ice Clmbers have TWO games under their belts. And how can they not be beloved in their own franchise? They're literally the only people there :awesome:
Yeah I know their series isn't that popular but I was just quoting on your set of circumstances.
I hope New 3DS can at least handle them. Makes me wish the game was New 3DS exclusive then. Or yknow, that they would have FREAKING LAUNCHED WITH IT!

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
They are my mains with ness, I become a smasher for them, I played it with my mom in my childhood, I want them in the game as WiiU Exclusive/DLC and if the team work more with them, they now have time for that, also 3ds version.
They are unique, they are 2 times veterans, they deserves a space in the game and future games also, if they will not making this time neither DLC They should be the first veterans to return.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I think Ice Climbers will overtake Mewtwo, but I don't think they'll overtake Ridley.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm butthurt for a bunch of reasons. I liked them since they were announced for Melee, and I played them a lot in Brawl. I also really wanted an Amiibo and retro-revival like Punch-Out and Kid Icarus got. I've been WAITING for a platforming adventure with some Klonoa-style gameplay climbing up mountain stages on different mounts (split up like Luigi's Mansion 2) and stuff like that.

And it's not like Ice Climber isn't prominent whenever NES retro-things pop up like PiCTOBiTS or NES Remix. And they even got a Popo hood in StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Being gone from Super Smash Bros. means that Ice Climbers themselves will be less relevant. They'll be less likely to show up again now in anything. So I don't like that at all.

I also don't like that he says "oh, games with no new installments were lower priority". I guess that's why we have Duck Hunt? All those recent Duck Hunt games, I can't keep count.

Chaining grabbing was a huge part of their game and with it gone it wouldn't be the same.
That's not part of their identity at all. Maybe for you? But that missing wouldn't magically make them not Ice Climbers.

The only reason characters were cut for this was because of the 3DS version. There likely won't be another Smash that comes out simultaneously (or near simultaneously) on two systems. Hell, there wasn't even supposed to be two.

And Brawl only cut clones (some of whom were originally coming back) and Mewtwo.

Also, you seem to forget that Nintendo is constantly making new IPs or introducing new characters. And they're clearly not above expanding certain franchises beyond what we come to expect.

Sure, most of the rest would be more obscure, but there are a lot of classics still missing and people always like new characters. And eShop characters weren't even touched (though we got some Assists and trophies).

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm butthurt for a bunch of reasons. I liked them since they were announced for Melee, and I played them a lot in Brawl. I also really wanted an Amiibo and retro-revival like Punch-Out and Kid Icarus got. I've been WAITING for a platforming adventure with some Klonoa-style gameplay climbing up mountain stages on different mounts (split up like Luigi's Mansion 2) and stuff like that.

And it's not like Ice Climber isn't prominent whenever NES retro-things pop up like PiCTOBiTS or NES Remix. And they even got a Popo hood in StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Being gone from Super Smash Bros. means that Ice Climbers themselves will be less relevant. They'll be less likely to show up again now in anything. So I don't like that at all.

I also don't like that he says "oh, games with no new installments were lower priority". I guess that's why we have Duck Hunt? All those recent Duck Hunt games, I can't keep count.

That's not part of their identity at all. Maybe for you? But that missing wouldn't magically make them not Ice Climbers.

The only reason characters were cut for this was because of the 3DS version. There likely won't be another Smash that comes out simultaneously (or near simultaneously) on two systems. Hell, there wasn't even supposed to be two.

And Brawl only cut clones (some of whom were originally coming back) and Mewtwo.

Also, you seem to forget that Nintendo is constantly making new IPs or introducing new characters. And they're clearly not above expanding certain franchises beyond what we come to expect.

Sure, most of the rest would be more obscure, but there are a lot of classics still missing and people always like new characters. And eShop characters weren't even touched (though we got some Assists and trophies).
I feel the roster would just be more of a mess at this point.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I think the Ice Climbers will be back in some way, some how. It was probably the right decision to not include them in either version for now. I was never a big fan of the Ice Climbers, in fact because of their chain grabs and various exploits they are my second least favorite character of all time.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I still want Ridley, and so do a lot of others, so no. Ice Climbers are guaranteed to be in the next Smash game.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Better start your petitions for SSB5 characters. The SSB4 roster is done.
(And I laugh at the butthurt tears of the Ridley fans. Ridley won't be in SSB4 (apart from DLC), so time to get over it).

Last edited:

gamer8

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has always been a lot more popular in general... Before this whole ordeal I didn't think many people cared about Ice Climbers at all, it's not even realistic to compare the two characters. Dammit Jabba why did you have to make this thread :facepalm:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Mewtwo has always been a lot more popular in general... Before this whole ordeal I didn't think many people cared about Ice Climbers at all, it's not even realistic to compare the two characters. Dammit Jabba why did you have to make this thread :facepalm:
This, basically. Ice Climbers will never possess the popularity that Mewtwo has. Ice Climbers rely on Smash to be popular. Mewtwo is already insanely well known without it.

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
I was initially disappointed but now it's like ''ehh''. I wouldn't be mad if they let them be Wii u exclusive or the New 3ds even.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
This, basically. Ice Climbers will never possess the popularity that Mewtwo has. Ice Climbers rely on Smash to be popular. Mewtwo is already insanely well known without it.
I dunno, I'd almost call Ice Climbers the bizarro Mewtwo. Ice Climbers are popular among the core fans of Smash but not really the general population... whereas Mewtwo is popular among the general population but really failed to attract core fans of Smash because of a poor move set.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I don't think they will be on the same level as Mewtwo and Ridley. But they'd definitely be high on the list.

I personally don't think we'll see another Smash for a long time anyway, Sakurai considers the 3DS and Wii U seperate installments to the series (That's funny, because he's letting that one so called "installment" handicap the superiour one)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Ice Climbers will overtake Mewtwo, but I don't think they'll overtake Ridley.
Fairly certain that Mewtwo has already overtaken Ridley himself, Ridley is just a ton more discussed since his fanbase is much louder and as a character he is much more controversial. You can ask almost any Nintendo fan and they'll be on board with Mewtwo, but anyone outside of the Smash community will likely scratch his head at Ridley's popularity.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
why is everybody saying smash 6 and not 5....am i missing something here?
But yes, I think that ice climbers will either be DLC or there will be some very upset people online...Including myself. I thought no melee vets would ever be cut, and they only were because of the 3ds. Sakurai said they were WORKING on the wii u just fine. Implying they were created and ready to go and he just said, "**** it"
Seriously?

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai considers Smash 3DS and WiiU as Smash bros. 4 and 5.
really?! thats pretty stupid. They are both smash 4 in my mind, so there. If they had differing rosters I could go along with that, but they don't.... *looks longingly at ice climbers* so I can't say thats justified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom