• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Snake be too overpowered?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Snake will be too overpowered of a character? I hope he is not too overpowered, I don't want him owning everyone. I just heard he was quite powerful and his mine thing does 10-20% damage! If anyone has seen Snake videos or had played those demos like they did at some of the game shows were Nintendo showed Brawl to curious reporters and things, can you tell about how Snake plays and if he'd be too powerful or he has weaknesses?

iMichael

Smash Lord
No one has played as Snake from what I know(Jumpfesta and E-for-all...he wasn't playable).

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
if snake is overpowered i wouldn't care...it's Snake.

if u don't want snake owning everyone, then who do u want Snake to get owned by? Olimar?:laugh:

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Ideally it would be good if they got rid of the tier system. So that means that a good Jigglypuff player can own Snake but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have certain strengths. I just hope they aren't good in like every category, they gotta have some offsets to ensure that it is balanced so a person who mains Jiggs can do well against any other character. The thing I am concerned about is that 3rd party characters tend to be much more powerful than the rest (1st party) in most games where cameos make appearances from a different franchise, and I don't think it should be that way. They should be made in balance with all the other first party characters, not be "special" uber power because they're 3rd party. The fact they're 3rd party should be they are cool, not super powerful.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Trust me....Snake and Sonic don't look to strong...especially Sonic. The only thing that looks strong on Snake is his "fist to knee" combo and his "jab, jab, roundhouse kick" ....it has so much knockback on it.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Snake looks underpowered to me, it seems like the slow characters have always suffered, and I don't think Snake is an exception. Link had projectiles at least a little like Snake's and lots of power in Melee, but look at how he turned out.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
if snake is overpowered i wouldn't care...it's Snake.

if u don't want snake owning everyone, then who do u want Snake to get owned by? Olimar?:laugh:
Hold your tongue knave! Olimar shall own EVERYONE. Fear the Pikmin...

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
What about Bowser? He's a great character, with the looks and everything, but he's bottom tier in Melee.

Awesomeness =/= good playability.

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
you know, everyone should stop making topics about worrying about tiers
i mean, unless you're not a snake fan, you would probably HOPE that he has a great moveset, not worry if he's overpowered
besides, tires don't don exits. no matter what sakurai might try to do, there will always be a tier list. he might have designed the characters to be equal on his tier list, but by the time we start competitive brawl a bunch of people will have found lots of wacky glitches that SHALL RESTORE FOX TO GOD TIER MHUHAHAHA
...you didn't hear anything.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
No, he's not. Those projectiles don't look like they come out very fast, so the power level is high to compensate for the draw time. This is odd since Samus's and Link's projectiles got nerfed. Maybe another reason to main him? Powerful projectiles.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Do we really have anything to base him being overpowered on?

I don't think so though. I do think he will be overused though. Like "ZOMG ITS SNAKE MUST USE HIM CAUSE HE PWNTZ"

I will use him to see how he is like I will every other character but meh..

-Onyx

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
Snake looks kind of laggy and the up and down smash attacks don't seem very useful in close range combat so maybe that balances it out.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I'm going to laugh if Snake ends up being the new Mewtwo. Remember when people were all hyped about Mewtwo being in Melee? Everyone was like "I hope they don't make him too overpowered." Then the game came out and Mewtwo ended up being one of the worst characters.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I'm going to laugh if Snake ends up being the new Mewtwo. Remember when people were all hyped about Mewtwo being in Melee? Everyone was like "I hope they don't make him too overpowered." Then the game came out and Mewtwo ended up being one of the worst characters.
From what i've seen so far.

Snake looks absolutely sick.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Snake's Dsmash (I think its a Dsmash. The one where he pulls out a missile and aims it 45 degrees downward in front of him) looks like it has plenty of knockback but only covers one side... Just like Mewtwo

I'm not saying he'll be a really bad character but I just dislike having a Dsmash that doesn't hit both sides of the character.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Snake's Dsmash (I think its a Dsmash. The one where he pulls out a missile and aims it 45 degrees downward in front of him) looks like it has plenty of knockback but only covers one side... Just like Mewtwo

I'm not saying he'll be a really bad character but I just dislike having a Dsmash that doesn't hit both sides of the character.
NO. That is his forward smash. It can do a lot of damage and knockback unlike Mewtwo. Also it's range is stronger since the blast can hurt anyone directly behind him. His down smash is the mine.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
NO. That is his forward smash. It can do a lot of damage and knockback unlike Mewtwo. Also it's range is stronger since the blast can hurt anyone directly behind him. His down smash is the mine.
No his downsmash is the rocket and his foward smash is a kick fist combo.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
from what i\'ve seen in vidoes he doesn\'t look over powered he looks to have the same damage rate as mario or Link.

00Sn8k

Smash Cadet
No his downsmash is the rocket and his foward smash is a kick fist combo.
Please tell me your not serious.....if your having troubles finding out his moveset I'll be more then happy to give you a link. Oh, and hello everyone. I've been on the site for awhile but I was having trouble getting my account verified for a whole month so I wasn't really able to post anything. I was also having trouble making a new thread for the meet n' greet but I don't find it needed anymore so i start here.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I've played several dozen matches with Snake. He's probably the hardest character in the game to play well. He has a lot of slow moves, poor mobility but a decent recovery and tons of power. He's extremely quirky, it's hard to tell how good he can potentially be played. It's easy to be terrible with Snake.

You can do some awesome things with his explosives to camp, trap and catch people offguard. You can have like 4 different explosives on the screen at once, it's hilarious. Well placed Nikita Missiles can Edge Guard the hell out of people. You can drop the missiles at any time and catch people in close range.

His main weakness is the lack of a melee attack that sweeps both sides of him, like Mewtwo in melee.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
The dev team seems to have done a good job at making him awkward to play, which is a horrible injustice.

Snake is more agile then that.

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
I've played several dozen matches with Snake. He's probably the hardest character in the game to play well. He has a lot of slow moves, poor mobility but a decent recovery and tons of power. He's extremely quirky, it's hard to tell how good he can potentially be played. It's easy to be terrible with Snake.

You can do some awesome things with his explosives to camp, trap and catch people offguard. You can have like 4 different explosives on the screen at once, it's hilarious. Well placed Nikita Missiles can Edge Guard the hell out of people. You can drop the missiles at any time and catch people in close range.

His main weakness is the lack of a melee attack that sweeps both sides of him, like Mewtwo in melee.
If what you said was true, I think they wanted snake to play to trap other players, and take them off guard. Kinda like being stealthy?

And yes, the pun was intended.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
He isn't overpowered. He is very awkward to use and has a unique style of play. That being said he is very strong but rather slow. His projectiles and mines are killers. To win matches with him you really have to earn it. Very meticulous and accurate play will gain you victory. Please, remember where you place those mines. Hehe.

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
He isn't overpowered. He is very awkward to use and has a unique style of play. That being said he is very strong but rather slow. His projectiles and mines are killers. To win matches with him you really have to earn it. Very meticulous and accurate play will gain you victory. Please, remember where you place those mines. Hehe.
Yea.. I think once people master his mine/mortar he will be a nasty edge guarder.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Yeah trip mines on the edge are pretty rough. Dead dropping the missile off the edge and well aimed back turned Usmashes are nice edge guards. However edge guarding in brawl is more difficult and less effective than in melee. Snake certainly is capable of some impressive things.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I don't think overpowered

Most of his B attacks are very slow
from what I see form the videos

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
In larger games people will be distracted, allowing him to plant explosives and control the battlefield. I think he'll excel in the FFA format.

Top Bottom