• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Revive Another Franchise?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Maybe you meant this as a joke, but II'm actually totally down for it. A cartoony, kid-friendly spin on Last of Us? That's a great idea.
No, I'm as serious as Dillon.

Yeah, people seem to like it. I really hope that the success of the Last of Us and Minecraft will get Nintendo on the survival franchise. Maybe it's Miyamoto's new IP! :laugh:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Ice Climbers. The reveal trailer could have them fly past the screen holding onto a Condor, and they both say "Sorry to keep you waiting!". :3

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Out of my favorite franchises, I'd really love to see a StarTropics sequel or reboot.
I'm on the side of the fence that not all games need to be expanded more than they should... but StarTropics is not one of them. It NEEDS to be revisitted.
On a personal level, I feel StarTropics 2 came off a bit rushed. I loved the game, but there are areas where it could've improved. But this is all minor, the real deal to me is that the ending to this game gave me more questions than answers, so I've been craving a threequel ever since.

Anyway, Startropics could retain the traditional top-down style. It really needs to step its game up regarding the yoyo so it does more.
Many people say it could be Nintendo's own Uncharted, and I agree. There is no "modern-times" island exploring/treasure hunting action game as far as I know.
And when you include aliens with tropics, I think there are a lot of possibilities. Heck, I would love to learn the origins of Zoda. I would love to know WHY "they" chose to leave at the end when they had supposedly already settled on Earth.
A new StarTropics for me would be bigger than even Mike himself in SSB4.

-
Then my next game of choice is Punch Out.
The Wii version is probably my favorite game... ever? So I would love to have a new game on the Wii U.
I would love to see Little Mac step back into the ring for new challengers. Heck, they could probably make him get into the MMA or UFC using boxing only, for more opponent variety. (But boxing alone would be better, especially if the rest of the boxers cheat to win).

Also, I'd love to see a side-game based on Doc Louis when he was young, where he fights younger versions of the boxers, and maybe some new faces that are already retired in Little Mac's story.
And the crem of the crop would be if the Arcade and Snes boxers are somehow involved in the story.
I don't know... they could have some seriously deep stuff in there, like Hajime no Ippo or A****a no Joe deep.

At the very least, port the arcade games to the Nintendo eShop. :)

-

And last, Nazo no Murasame Jo would be awesome to have.
HOWEVER, I seriously do not want it to become another samurai beat-em-up that have become so cliched in the last few years. (Or at least if it does, hopefully it won't become so repetitive).
I would like it to retain the shuriken throwing-centric game. With 1-hit-KO katana strikes from up close.
And the story about aliens? Yes please!

p.s. Startropics, btw, has a slightly bigger chance of being revived.
The details to why are right here. (post #74)

Basically: Kensuke Tanabe has been working on reviving franchises made by Genyo Takeda.
Two games have already been remade: Punch Out! and Pilotwings.
So if Tanabe keeps it up, the next is either going to be a new
Sheriff, a new Space Firebird, or a new StarTropics.
(And BTW, Tanabe has announced that he's already working on a new game with Retro Studios, so let the speculation begin)

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I'm sorry to be the bad guy but I really don't think people are going to rush out and buy an Ice Climber game. Sure we say we will now but come release the game wouldn't sell. Though if it were to happen.

I picture it being DKCR esque type of game. Which could be fun. Maybe make it a WiiU shop download only game?

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Start Fox, F-Zero, Metroid are all series I expect to hear something about at E3 this year.

As far as retro series go, I'm still hoping they put in a SMRPG character and make a sequel for it. Realistically I'm expecting something out of left field as the retro revival character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm kind of surprised so many people want a new Ice Climbers game because the original game is painfully mediocre but, then again, it probably has to do more with Nana and Popo being such endearing characters anyways. I have a hard time seeing them getting a full blown game though. Maybe they could get something on the e-shop but a revival on par with Kid Icarus Uprising or Donkey Kong Country Returns would be extremely difficult. Even for a small game, the developers would have to push their creativity to the limit to create an engaging game worth even a few hours' worth of fun given what they currently have to work with.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm kind of surprised so many people want a new Ice Climbers game because the original game is painfully mediocre but, then again, it probably has to do more with Nana and Popo being such endearing characters anyways. I have a hard time seeing them getting a full blown game though. Maybe they could get something on the e-shop but a revival on par with Kid Icarus Uprising or Donkey Kong Country Returns would be extremely difficult. Even for a small game, the developers would have to push their creativity to the limit to create an engaging game worth even a few hours' worth of fun given what they currently have to work with.
They don't even have to keep it faithful to the original though. Look at KI:U.... Sakurai turned a Top-Down side stroller into a Third-Person Shooter-Rails Shooter.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I never really liked the game either, but I do think an eShop sized remake of Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight, and several other multiplayer-able classics, could benefit from a remake and update to 4-Player support.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do like the idea of a survival platforming game for Ice Climbers though. You have to climb up various mountain but you need to bring the right equipment along and put up with different weather conditions. It'd be even better if they made it like Pikmin where you have a time limit for each day and you're given only a certain number of days for each climb. I imagine that each mountain would have multiple paths too and, if you fall, you simply have to keep climbing and try to make it to the top before the end of the time limit or you run out of food and have to leave the mountain. You also have to learn to pace yourself right because you'll have a stamina bar so if you go too fast or are too parkour in your actions, you'll wear yourself out and have to eat more of your supplies to recover. When night falls, you have to put your tent in the right place or you risk it being attacked or even blown over and where you put it determines how well you sleep and how much stamina you start off with the next day. As for a plot, they could do something simple like evil yetis have stolen food from local villages and you have to climb up mountains to get them back. You then collect food on your climb up and there's a boss fight at the top of each mountain. You then get a final score for how much food you collected and were actually able to bring back to the villages (try not to eat too much, fatty) and how fast you climbed each mountain.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
You can actually do a lot with Ice Climbers. (And a lot of other retro characters) It's the type of game that would work with things like Open World/survival/hunter. (Man Vs. Wild the game Nintendo Edition)

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'd like to see Nazo no Murasame-jo get revived from Smash. Takamaru gets in, we get an all new game (that only releases in Japan, knowing Nintendo), and I see Takamaru as HIGHLY likely.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I do like the idea of a survival platforming game for Ice Climbers though. You have to climb up various mountain but you need to bring the right equipment along and put up with different weather conditions. It'd be even better if they made it like Pikmin where you have a time limit for each day and you're given only a certain number of days for each climb. I imagine that each mountain would have multiple paths too and, if you fall, you simply have to keep climbing and try to make it to the top before the end of the time limit or you run out of food and have to leave the mountain. You also have to learn to pace yourself right because you'll have a stamina bar so if you go too fast or are too parkour in your actions, you'll wear yourself out and have to eat more of your supplies to recover. When night falls, you have to put your tent in the right place or you risk it being attacked or even blown over and where you put it determines how well you sleep and how much stamina you start off with the next day. As for a plot, they could do something simple like evil yetis have stolen food from local villages and you have to climb up mountains to get them back. You then collect food on your climb up and there's a boss fight at the top of each mountain. You then get a final score for how much food you collected and were actually able to bring back to the villages (try not to eat too much, fatty) and how fast you climbed each mountain.
My idea is very similar to this, right down to the "different mountains = different worlds" formula. Environments wouldn't have to be restricted just to arctic environments. For example, the Climbers could travel up a volcano, which would be the game's arch-typical "fire level". Or how about climbing structures other than mountains? A skyscraper for an urban setting, or even a descending level where they explore an endless hole in the earth?

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I'd like to see an Ice Climber game along the vein of Uncharted or Prince of Persia; a game that features a lot of ledge climbing, swinging on ropes, parkour-style gameplay as you navigate your way across a vast mountain range to the top of the tallest peak. Your goal is to recover a mystic totem stolen by a mighty condor; this ancient relic is what allows vegetation to grow in the otherwise desolate icy lands your people call home and without the totem, your village is pretty much doomed. To get to the Condor's nest, you will explore wind-shorn mountain ledges, icy lakes, expansive caverns, abandoned ruins, forgotten temples, outposts and fortresses controlled by savage rival tribes, a dormant (for now) volcano, and maybe even a few long lost oasis among the vast snowy region where a well of mystic energy (like that in your totem) allows life to flourish in abundance. Navigating your way safely through these lands would be impossible on your own, but if you put full trust in the bond between you and your partner, you just might survive the trek.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd like to see an Ice Climber game along the vein of Uncharted or Prince of Persia; a game that features a lot of ledge climbing, swinging on ropes, parkour-style gameplay as you navigate your way across a vast mountain range to the top of the tallest peak. Your goal is to recover a mystic totem stolen by a mighty condor; this ancient relic is what allows vegetation to grow in the otherwise desolate icy lands your people call home and without the totem, your village is pretty much doomed. To get to the Condor's nest, you will explore wind-shorn mountain ledges, icy lakes, expansive caverns, abandoned ruins, forgotten temples, outposts and fortresses controlled by savage rival tribes, a dormant (for now) volcano, and maybe even a few long lost oasis among the vast snowy region where a well of mystic energy (like that in your totem) allows life to flourish in abundance. Navigating your way safely through these lands would be impossible on your own, but if you put full trust in the bond between you and your partner, you just might survive the trek.
Hmm.. that would be nice. Throw in a little survival too, with item crafting.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I need to see, and MUST see more Advanced Wars.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
So, I saw this topic and came in to suggest Ice Climber. I was really satisfied to see it's already been suggested numerous times. I love the idea of a Minecraft-esque survival game (in all-icy areas) with platforming elements to it. I could imagine that you would be able to get items or power-ups that help you fight enemies or assist you in harder climbs, like maybe you start off with just their hammers (or even nothing) and you can eventually earn a power-up that lets you use ice like they do in Smash, an item that allows you to grapple cliffs above you to swing over gorges, upgrades to the hammers, the ability to use Belay like in Smash to get one climber up a tall cliff so they can pull the other climber up with rope, things like that.

And maybe you have to find vegetables at first to survive, but then you could eventually build a greenhouse or something to grow them in once you've got enough resources. And then, maybe you have to make sure you keep warm so you can only stay out so long before you start to freeze and lose health. And maybe you could upgrade your coats to allow you to stay warm outside longer, upgrade your boots to be less slick on ice, and other things like that.

They could even add an adventuring element to it if they wanted, with places you can only reach once you've got certain items or power-ups, and those places have items that you can only get there.

This is kind of how I like to envision the style of at least some of the environments in the game.

I'd also like to see StarTropics, but I haven't thought about it as much. :p

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
As much as I want my Ice Climber, Mach Rider and Mysterious Murusame Castle I see no one as brought up Shin Onigashima!

Point and clicks may have gone out of style but the game has plenty of potential to be Nintendo's own lighthearted monster action game. Throw a little bit of the detective genre with maybe some RPG elements and voila you have one very unique series, Dark Souls meets Monster Hunter meets Zelda with a touch of Phoenix Right.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
HD remakes isn't exactly a revival of the series

I don't think there are characters getting into smash that their series can be revived.

What's left? Shulk and Chorus Men? Their series are still ongoing.

Unless for some reason they decide to revive Ice Climbers. which has limited potential at most, there is no one to have their series revived

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There are far too many great ideas in this thread.. quick, someone e-mail Nintendo! :troll:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Okay Star Fox is already on the works. So that's one check for me.

I loved F Zero GX on the GameCube so I'm highly anticipating a sequel or at least an HD remake.

I've been waiting for an Ice Climbers reboot since Melee came out so I'm hoping for that as well.

Custom Robo on the GameCube was also a fun game, so a Wii U version would be awesome.

A brand spanking new Mega Man would also be awesome, like in terms of some of the other posts saying Capcom may sell the IP to Nintendo would be a great revival.

I never played a Takamaru, Mach Rider, or Earthbound game so I don't really have any ideas for those but they apparently have a strong fan base so bring it on.

Then also a new Metroid for the Wii U, possibly switching between the power suit and zero suit for more gameplay changes. Maybe even with a stealth gameplay and parkour similar to Assassin's Creed.

Just spitballing some ideas...

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go in a totally different direction here everyone.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

First of all, just IMAGINE the stage for it. Completely non competitive, but it would only work for 3ds Here me out here; the higher your percentage, the more messed up stuff would happen on your screen. Hit 50% and the music randomly goes out (but never up, since that could be disruptive), random additional characters on the screen, fake items, random (fake) SDs, your character changing to other movies during the match, and all sorts of other things.

The gameplay of the game was garbage, but the story was choice, and Nintendo still owns the rights, which could make it such a cool and quirky addition to things, if needlessly dark.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
One thing we forgot about Uprising and it being a reboot of that franchise is that it originally wasn't intended to be that. It started out life as a Star Fox game hence the similarities to it in the aerial battle parts and all the codecs and the sense of humor it had going for it.

So Pit's franchise revival might be a one off thing.

Which in honest seems kind of remarkably stupid. Nintendo would be smart to use Smash Brothers and it's collection of rich Nintendo history as a launching post to bring some of these characters back now that there is an interenst in them for being in Smash Brothers.

There really could be no limits to what they do if the did this. All sorts of retro series could come back, Star Fox could get a game again, they could even probably if they tried hard enough find a way to include Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. into things/new games.
Are people unaware that we ARE getting a new star fox? Lol

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
That post was published in Marc so he did not know about Star Fox U at the time. (Unless he works for Nintendo, in which case I'm disappointed in the lack of leaks, Rosalina)

I'd be fine with a new F-Zero game. I doubt Smash would encourage a new game for it however. No newcomer confirmed so far needs his or her series revived, so I'm not sure if Smash 4 will encourage Nintendo to make a new game this time around.

Last edited:

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
They could make a crazy Ice Climber game for the 3DS about mountain exploration.
Nana and Popo work together to scale various mountains to conquer them.
But they need to fight enemies along the way and collect gear to help them progress.

Just imagine the snowy/ice world atmosphere Nintendo could create. Filled with snowy peaks, deadly forests, ice caverns, frozen tundras, ice sheets, frozen lakes, etc.

The 2 player cooperative would be great.

WOW I didn't even see this post before but this guy gets it.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
It's a shame they didn't put Klonoa in Smash 4. That guy would've been awesome! Also series revival on Nintendo platforms yesplz. (Never played a Klonoa game before, but the Wind Ring seems like a really cool gimmick.)

Top Bottom