• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Revive Another Franchise?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
That was probably by mistake but I do think he made a cameo in a dynasty warriors game. And to be fair they might throw his game in NES remix 3 haha X3
Takamaru basically went through the same route that Little Mac did: they both appeared in Captain Rainbow and then got a revival. The main difference is that Punch Out got a brand new game, while Mysterious Murasame Castle was just remade as a game mode in Samurai Warriors 3.
So Takamaru has yet to star in his own new game.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'd say Star Fox could be Nintendo's Rogue Squadron. Let Nintendo's Titanfall be a new IP (but definitely make one)
Nintendo already has a shooter franchise about people piloting giant mechs.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
One thing we forgot about Uprising and it being a reboot of that franchise is that it originally wasn't intended to be that. It started out life as a Star Fox game hence the similarities to it in the aerial battle parts and all the codecs and the sense of humor it had going for it.

So Pit's franchise revival might be a one off thing.

Which in honest seems kind of remarkably stupid. Nintendo would be smart to use Smash Brothers and it's collection of rich Nintendo history as a launching post to bring some of these characters back now that there is an interenst in them for being in Smash Brothers.

There really could be no limits to what they do if the did this. All sorts of retro series could come back, Star Fox could get a game again, they could even probably if they tried hard enough find a way to include Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. into things/new games.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't see it happening.

I'm guessing Pit was a special case(and that Sakurai had an interest in creating a new vision of the KI world). Takamaru if he gets in won't necessarily get a reboot. I'm always confused by those who seem to think it's a sure thing that he will. Ice Climbers didn't get anything after Sakurai reminded millions they were a thing.

The only series currently in Smash I want to get a revival is F-Zero but Miyamoto says he can't work out what direction to take F-Zero. Would be easier to swallow if Mario Kart 8 didn't seem to take cues from this apparently impossible to innovate series.
Not to mention how we got 4 "New" Super Mario games.

I'd prefer Ice Climber, as I said, but really any of the old score attack arcade-style games getting a reboot would be great. Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, Clu Clu Land...I mean look at how awesome Game Boy Donkey Kong was. Make a bunch of moutains with some clever ice/climbing/partner related puzzles and mechanics, maybe throw in some magical ice abilities like the ICs have in smash, sprinkle in some gorgeous icy visuals, and you have earned every cent that you decide to ask me for.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not to mention how we got 4 "New" Super Mario games.
I am so glad you said that. I wanted to post that too, but felt I might just come off as catty as hell.

I'm grateful for the increase in playable Toad roles, but who the **** are you kidding Miyamoto by saying innovation of a franchise is important to you? Make F-Zero you bum.

Honestly I'd love to see a whole heap of old retros get the Punch Out!!! and Kid Icarus treatment, but I'm somehow struggling to see it. Clu Clu Land, Balloon Fight(admittedly Tingle has sort of brought this one back), Ice Climber, Mach Rider and others could all be really fun with some sort of revival. I'd love to see a true revival of Duck Hunt since the mechanics would work really well with the Wii U's control systems, but I just can't see that happening either.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Punch-Out Wii was perfect, don't ruin it.

Mach Rider will become a gritty post apocalyptic sandbox third person shooter, with Twisted Metal style vehicular combat added when traveling from the wreckages of one city to another.

...it could happen.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Kinda like that Mad Max game which is coming out (and I'm gonna get it since I love the Mad Max trilogy).
But you know, with that Nintendo feel. I don't think of it as extremely gritty or mature, but it could contain blood. I actually thought about how Mach Rider could be redesigned and I like to think of him as an anti-hero with few comedic moments, something like Nathan Drake but a little bit more asshole-ish. Something like "I'm essentially good but I still need to survive in this wasteland.". Great potential right there.
Soundtrack by Front Line Assembly, obviously.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Golden Sun please.
Starfox

Same as 64, with an upgraded feel, Could have sections of on foot or tanks. But make multiplayer, or even gameplay, sort of like Gears of War. Have upgraded weapons all along the map. Ofcourse, in a space shooter the maps would need to be new.

Or or make it like Titanfall! Star Fox TitanFall ... good lord people they're sitting on a goldmine!
So Starfox Assault.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
F-Zero and Star Fox are both in dire need of reboots.
Star Fox just needs to be rebooted to right after SF64. I'd love to see what the story would be without the cluster**** that is what it is today.

And without the foot missions.

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I always thought Ice Climbers could get a 3D platformer beat 'em up mashup mixed with a little bit of dungeon crawling in the mountain caves, where the gimmick is controlling both climbers separately.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Star Fox just needs to be rebooted to right after SF64. I'd love to see what the story would be without the cluster**** that is what it is today.

And without the foot missions.
No Krystal? :c

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That's exactly what I was thinking. Kinda like that Mad Max game which is coming out (and I'm gonna get it since I love the Mad Max trilogy).
But you know, with that Nintendo feel. I don't think of it as extremely gritty or mature, but it could contain blood. I actually thought about how Mach Rider could be redesigned and I like to think of him as an anti-hero with few comedic moments, something like Nathan Drake but a little bit more *******-ish. Something like "I'm essentially good but I still need to survive in this wasteland.". Great potential right there.
Soundtrack by Front Line Assembly, obviously.
Naw, not Nathan Drake-ish, I think Mach Rider should be more like a third person Fall Out Three, but more stylized maybe with a bit of an Anime influence. More action orientated too, with the vehicle combat and all that. That's how I would handle it anyway.

You know what I think would make a GREAT off the wall Uncharted clone? Star Tropics. Star Tropics was so zany that it could be a perfect "parody" of modern action games. Have it be like Uncharted, but have Mike Jones facing really silly situations. Have him use guns, sure, but also his YoYo. Have him break the fourth wall CONSTANTLY. Make sure to exploit all the tropes of modern action games and you could have something really, really, special.

For a new Mysterious Murasame Castle I would like to see something between a Zelda style adventure game (since the game was Zelda's sister title) and a modern hack n' slash (since the game was much more action orientated then Zelda.) I think a game structurally similiar to Darksiders would be perfect, but with a very different art style and waaaaaaaaaaaay less blood. The combat should probably be more like Ninja Gaiden then God of War (since Takamaru is a Samurai and all.)

Nintendo has SOOOO many great dormant IPs, I really hope we see a few of them this gen.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
No Krystal? :c
It'd be cool if the team just met her on a mission or something.

She has 0 business on the main team. She just learned to hang with these super elite pilots out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
An Ice Climbers game is LONG overdue and I'm glad to see a lot of you guys agree. It could probably be something of a puzzle platformer akin to Catherine if Nintendo had acquired Atlus....

Startropics would be my next guess.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Namco hasn't got a character reveal yet i'm hoping for Klonoa. I want that series to revive

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
WHAT I LEARNED FROM THIS THREAD:
Everyone wants an Ice Climbers revival.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I can see them selling the Mega Man IP to Nintendo, but it's questionable if it will actually happen. They might want to hold onto him as insurance if their financial situation gets worse than it already is. Also I want Nintendo to buy the Banjo-Kazooie IP.

On topic I would love to see a new Star Fox.
It would absolutely make my decade if Nintendo bought Banjo Kazooie. Though I'd prefer they just buy all of Rareware and get the good guys back...

As much as I enjoy the new DKC games they just aren't as good as DKC 1 & 2 as well as DK64 (Which could have a phenomenal 3DS remake.. Or hell, why not Wii U. Actually, THAT.)

Imagine a Rareware produced Starfox 64-2. Donkey Kong going back to Rare (Which could potentially get Retro back with Metroid). Banjo coming home. Conker. Oh man. I need to stop thinking about this it hurts me too bad to know it will never happen.

I take solace in the idea that there are many alternate universes in which Nintendo kept Rare with them and wonder what gaming would be like that if it had happened here.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It would absolutely make my decade if Nintendo bought Banjo Kazooie. Though I'd prefer they just buy all of Rareware and get the good guys back...

As much as I enjoy the new DKC games they just aren't as good as DKC 1 & 2 as well as DK64 (Which could have a phenomenal 3DS remake.. Or hell, why not Wii U. Actually, THAT.)

Imagine a Rareware produced Starfox 64-2. Donkey Kong going back to Rare (Which could potentially get Retro back with Metroid). Banjo coming home. Conker. Oh man. I need to stop thinking about this it hurts me too bad to know it will never happen.

I take solace in the idea that there are many alternate universes in which Nintendo kept Rare with them and wonder what gaming would be like that if it had happened here.
Retro's DKs > Rare's DKs, take off the nostalgia googles.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Regardless of which DKC series you prefer, as they're both phenomenal (I personally prefer aspects of both but favor Retro's when it comes to gameplay), Nintendo buying back Rare wouldn't be that smart of a move, and it probably wouldn't result in any sort of renaissance in the DK series or any other series. The original talent at Rare - those who made DKC, Banjo-Kazooie, and the like - are no longer with the company (well, Gregg Mayles is still there, I think). The current Rare is Rare in name only. One may enjoy their current output, but that doesn't mean they'd suddenly "revive" Donkey Kong or Banjo if they returned to Nintendo. They'd probably be working on far different projects. Nintendo knows that guys like Tim and Chris Stamper are no longer with Rare, which is why they made the smarter decision of putting Retro to work on the DKC revival instead.

I'd love to see Nintendo hire the bulk of ex-Rare employees and take them into their development house, however. That's what making great games is all about. It's about the designers, writers, programmers, and directors, not the company itself.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Retro's DKs > Rare's DKs, take off the nostalgia googles.
Whoa, absolutely not. Not even nostalgia. I've never been one to say that something is better because of nostalgia. I'm looking more at overall game quality. And I like Retro's DK a lot but it's just not as fun for me.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I guess I'm the only one who dreams of a Panel De Pon reboot.
Oh hell no you aren't! I'd love an RPG/puzzle mix in the vein of a more lighthearted Puzzle Quest from that series. (And Yoko Shimomura would be the only acceptable composer.)

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Is Panel De Pon like Pokemon Puzzle League?

I would love for some really obscure franchise to rise from the grave. Knowing Nintendo it would have to be a character driven game. Like maybe a gritty Battle Clash on Wii U or a Mach Rider 3DS remake. Heck a Tin Star spaghetti western would be hilarious. Something with a unique main character that could flesh out a real story.

And I would love an Ice Climbers survival/RTS/ whatever genre climbing a mountain would be

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Regardless of which DKC series you prefer, as they're both phenomenal (I personally prefer aspects of both but favor Retro's when it comes to gameplay), Nintendo buying back Rare wouldn't be that smart of a move, and it probably wouldn't result in any sort of renaissance in the DK series or any other series. The original talent at Rare - those who made DKC, Banjo-Kazooie, and the like - are no longer with the company (well, Gregg Mayles is still there, I think). The current Rare is Rare in name only. One may enjoy their current output, but that doesn't mean they'd suddenly "revive" Donkey Kong or Banjo if they returned to Nintendo. They'd probably be working on far different projects. Nintendo knows that guys like Tim and Chris Stamper are no longer with Rare, which is why they made the smarter decision of putting Retro to work on the DKC revival instead.

I'd love to see Nintendo hire the bulk of ex-Rare employees and take them into their development house, however. That's what making great games is all about. It's about the designers, writers, programmers, and directors, not the company itself.
I personally love both parts of the series almost equally. I think DKC has better bonus levels, more animal buddies, and has much smoother/more precise gameplay due to things such as no awkward sliding you do after landing, there not being an animation he has to go through when he hits the side of any surface, and how the roll works in those games. I think in the overall game the DKCR series gives you more in terms of challenge, 2-player, more interesting water levels, more dynamic regular stages and better boss battles.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
An Ice Climbers game is LONG overdue and I'm glad to see a lot of you guys agree. It could probably be something of a puzzle platformer akin to Catherine if Nintendo had acquired Atlus....

Startropics would be my next guess.
There's no chance in a million years that StarTropics will get a reboot. Nintendo just doesn't care about it at all. It's had no mention in any Smash games (bar the Chronicle), no WarioWare Microgames, no Japanese release, no cameos, no appearance in NES Remix... I guess it's not that surprising since both games are two of the extreme few Western-exclusive Nintendo games.

Events over the last few years seem to suggest Nintendo are interested in continuing the Myseterious Murasame Castle series. We've had Takamaru in Captain Rainbow, Takamaru appearing with his own game mode in Samurai Warriors 3 and an attraction named after Takamaru and based on his game in Nintendoland. Takamaru being playable in SSB4 is possibly the last piece in the puzzle towards him getting a new game. I hear there's even a developer interested in creating the title in Platinum Games.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I personally love both parts of the series almost equally. I think DKC has better bonus levels, more animal buddies, and has much smoother/more precise gameplay due to things such as no awkward sliding you do after landing, there not being an animation he has to go through when he hits the side of any surface, and how the roll works in those games. I think in the overall game the DKCR series gives you more in terms of challenge, 2-player, more interesting water levels, more dynamic regular stages and better boss battles.
You mean the extremely unprecise, short roll of the original DKC games? And those things you mentioned are pros, not cons :c 'Awkward' sliding? As far as I remember, DKCR and TF don't make you slide unnaturally across the floor for no reason when you land from a jump with momentum (Oops), that's Melee and Project M.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
I'm also obviously aboard the Ice Climbers reboot train, and if I had to pick a genre, definitely exploration/survival. Imagine Pikmin's control/level scheme. Although something along the lines of SMSunshine could also make an awesome game. It would be unfortunate if it got the New SMB treatment, but I'd sure as hell still buy it.

Also, the fanproduct side of me (and no one else) is worried they would make them siblings. :p. But once again, I'd still buy it, because Ice Climbers.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm also obviously aboard the Ice Climbers reboot train, and if I had to pick a genre, definitely exploration/survival. Imagine Pikmin's control/level scheme. Although something along the lines of SMSunshine could also make an awesome game. It would be unfortunate if it got the New SMB treatment, but I'd sure as hell still buy it.

Also, the fanproduct side of me (and no one else) is worried they would make them siblings. :p. But once again, I'd still buy it, because Ice Climbers.
I'd prefer if they were siblings- we've seen the "romantic side" of games with Mario and Peach and Link and Zelda too many times. There's not enough sibling love.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He's right though. Honestly I prefer the idea that Popo and Nana are brother/sister than husband/wife and boyfriend/girlfriend.

It wouldn't be a game breaking thing for me, but it's just less cliche if they're brother/sister or friends than them being romantically entangled.

Top Bottom