• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will pro players be less... pro-like?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm just making an assumption that some pro players will have a difficult time standing above the rest because of the slower gameplay, could this be possible?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
It's possible some of the "semi pros" (or whatever you want to call them) might climb up in the food chain a bit, similar to how Isai was dethroned in the transition from 64 to melee, but for everyone else, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

Zek

Smash Ace
Pros will always be pros. What matters isn't the details of the game, it's that they're willing to put the effort into getting really good at the game no matter what it takes and most people aren't. The simple reality is that you won't beat them if you're not willing to match their effort. Brawl is still more than technical enough that the vast majority of players won't understand all its intricacies.

Loghog

Smash Rookie
Pros will always be pros. What matters isn't the details of the game, it's that they're willing to put the effort into getting really good at the game no matter what it takes and most people aren't. The simple reality is that you won't beat them if you're not willing to match their effort. Brawl is still more than technical enough that the vast majority of players won't understand all its intricacies.

wow this quote is smart, powerful and beautiful, sorry but i just had to mention it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It might be harder for them to stand out considering it has advantages for ok players, like the speed, and reaction time.

Ichida

Smash Ace
At this point, being a pro Melee player is like bragging about having the most badass CD player on the block. Everyone starts out on even footing. How far everybody gets, is each individual's choice. Players who weren't advanced before may become advanced by Brawl's new standard.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
At this point, being a pro Melee player is like bragging about having the most badass CD player on the block. Everyone starts out on even footing. How far everybody gets, is each individual's choice. Players who weren't advanced before may become advanced by Brawl's new standard.
No.

Every pro I can think of that entered the gamestop tourney won.

pirkid

Smash Lord
As gameplay grows, new players will emerge from their out-of-place locations. The term 'pro' is used loosely to describe someone who is good at the game and has gone to/won a lot of tourney's gaining popularity and becoming a idol. Now, there are those who can compete online without having to travel long-distances, opening up a lot more possibilities for who's a "pro" and who's not.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The techniques that made them good at Melee are gone.

The mindset/willingness to learn that got them there are still present.

If you sucked at Melee, don't expect to get good at brawl until you take a good hard look at what was holding you back.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
a pro will still be pro. the thing that changes is just nubs will be better lol.

mindgames from pros> yours

D

Deleted member

as soon as you learn the new timing of fast falling, auto cancelling and dash landing the game's speed actually speeds up rather quite nicely

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
This isn't true at all. Being good at the other smash games helps for brawl. I've played against players who didn't play the other games and they were definitely not "starting out on even footing."

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
To me Slow and Smooth > Fast and Laggy
I'm glad that's your personal preference, but there was no lag in Melee. Almost all lag could be cancelled. Where as in Brawl it runs rampant. So your comparison should be closer to "Slow and Laggy > Fast and Smooth". Not a flame, btw.

It's possible some of the "semi pros" (or whatever you want to call them) might climb up in the food chain a bit, similar to how Isai was dethroned in the transition from 64 to melee, but for everyone else, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.
Isai was a monster in Melee, he was arguably the second best player for a majority of Melee's lifespan. And he never really lost anything in the later days of Melee. Many people think he just stopped trying as much.

And as usual, Ichida (or whatever his name is) chimes in with his uninformed opinion, but some of my peers have already responded to him, so I will say no more.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Casual players will rise in the "smash chain" a little, but I dont think Pro-like players will suffer. Theres still a lot to learn and get better with.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there will be that much to worry about. I'm sure the Casual players will rise in skill , I know I have, but not enough to be a threat to the pros.

Ichida

Smash Ace
And as usual, Ichida (or whatever his name is) chimes in with his uninformed opinion, but some of my peers have already responded to him, so I will say no more.
Fine, whatever. I'm done talking about the competitive-political bull****, now that I can just go ****ing play the game. Happy?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Fine, whatever. I'm done talking about the competitive-political bull****, now that I can just go ****ing play the game. Happy?
So you'll finally go back to playing the game instead of insulting competitive players and pretending to sound like you know what you're talking about?

I doubt it.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Being good at melee helps with some stuff... like marth's fairs and nairs... or just general familiarity with movesets.

it definately hinders in other ways too. but a newb vs a melee pro, melee pro wins handily.

Fletch

Smash Master
I hope you don't honestly believe this. If you do, then wow... go play a Melee pro in Brawl and get destroyed.

ADHD

Smash Hero
But I mean like, as of now... There is a certain point right now where you will be best, no matter how good you are, its the best you can be. Once you get edgehogging perfectly, all these tactics, its kind of based on luck and different interpretations of the game. I'm scared that unless we find something as similar to wavedashing mind games, here comes squirtle for high tier with that hydroplaning...

Top Bottom