• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Fox stay Top Tier??

aids514

Smash Cadet
Fox is going to stay top tier. Maybe not God tier but at least top 5 or so characters. His whole moveset is still all around excellent and his nerfs are not even that bad. The shine game will inevitably be different but his speed will ensure he stays top tier. Falco on the other hand.......

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
With or without tiers, Fox has always fit my fast playstyle and is the reason he is my favorite.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Fox's top tier in melee is due to the power of having a truly infinite combo available (Drillshine) and a powerful, quick midair finisher (upair), one of the best smashes in the game (Upsmash), a good projectile as well as two sex kicks.

If you look at the top two tiers of Melee, they basically all have some sort of "cheap" damage building technique (Pillaring for falco, chainthrowing for Sheik, Marth, and Peach), a powerful, quick midair finisher (falco's spike, sheik's slap, marth's spike, peach's slap), a powerful and quick smash (forward for falco and marth, down for sheik and peach), a good projectile (except marth, but his sword is long enough range already), and two sex-kick style aerials (neutral and back for sheik, peach, falco. Marth doesn't quite have sex kicks, but his fair and bair are pretty beastly and quick, so they make up for it).

Now if you look at Brawl Fox, he has No Drillshine, a weaker Upair, a weaker upsmash, about the same projectile (minus the short-hopping part that made it so good), and weaker sex kicks. Sure, he's still got speed and power enough to end up high or middle tier, but without the degeneracy of the Drillshine...

DevilBabyOnCrack

Smash Rookie
honestly.... i dont think they got rid of all the tiers in brawl. yes, each character has certain characteristics that we see as over-the-top broken stuff (aka pit's arrows) but overall, certain characters fare better against others. i've seen pit get pwned by snake, diddy get his *** handed by Ike, and peach destroying lucario.... everyone is good and bad at the same time.

Hanniah

Smash Cadet
Fox's top tier in melee is due to the power of having a truly infinite combo available (Drillshine) and a powerful, quick midair finisher (upair), one of the best smashes in the game (Upsmash), a good projectile as well as two sex kicks.

If you look at the top two tiers of Melee, they basically all have some sort of "cheap" damage building technique (Pillaring for falco, chainthrowing for Sheik, Marth, and Peach), a powerful, quick midair finisher (falco's spike, sheik's slap, marth's spike, peach's slap), a powerful and quick smash (forward for falco and marth, down for sheik and peach), a good projectile (except marth, but his sword is long enough range already), and two sex-kick style aerials (neutral and back for sheik, peach, falco. Marth doesn't quite have sex kicks, but his fair and bair are pretty beastly and quick, so they make up for it).

Now if you look at Brawl Fox, he has No Drillshine, a weaker Upair, a weaker upsmash, about the same projectile (minus the short-hopping part that made it so good), and weaker sex kicks. Sure, he's still got speed and power enough to end up high or middle tier, but without the degeneracy of the Drillshine...
It's true that Fox got nerfed on the points you mentionned, but if you look at the other former Top Tier caracters you'll see they got nerfed too.

Peach: I used to play Peach as a secondary and can hardly play her in Brawl, I feel that she has lost a bit of power: her slap decreased and the Landcancelling has been removed.

Marth: He will always be overpowered (Sorry for my subjectivity, but hey we're on a Fox thread, it isn't needed to be objective with Marth...). Jokes aside, I really think Marth is the less nerfed top-melee-caracter.

Sheik: Her arials got way slower I feel, and her needles less powerful. Ain't what she used to be (i.d. a comboing monster) because of the overall Brawl floatiness.

Falco: Same goes for him: comboing is harder to pull off (though possible with with IASA frames and his vThrow), and his spike is more difficult to use correctly as well.

I'm not saying all these caracters are bad, but they obviously did get nerfed in some way, meaning that Fox could still be a very competitive caracter compared to them. Overall the game's more balanced, I doubt there will be really reliable tiers any way. However, if there is, then Fox will doubtlessly be high in tiers.

TickleMePick1e

Smash Cadet
none of my friends believe me when i say fox was broken and like was low tier but evry one looks like they got worse except link and i still think that fox is better than link so he is stioll top tier imo

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
Will Fox stay Top Tier??

You let an opinionated list influence who you play as? So sad.
That wasn't what he was saying -_- He just wanted to know if people think he will stay up there. Where in the OPs post does it say he will quit fox if he drops to low tier?

Shuriken_bob

Smash Rookie
I believe he will.
The new nerfs just mean you'll have to find a new way to use his OPness.
like that jump shine stuff.

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, I can't see fox staying at the top.

While this doesn't influence who I'll play- Wolf and Metaknight, because they are metal as all hell, and R.O.B because he makes me smile- Fox is NOT top tier anymore.

However, I am basing this judgment on 3 days of play, at, granted, 12 hours or so a day (spring break baby) of perhaps trying to use Melee techniques, approaches and feel.

He is just NOT the same Fox. Personally, I don't think he'll stay up there, but hey- that dashusmash is pretty narsty

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
fox will still be on top in my opinion. he is still fast, still decently strong and can be played similarly to his melee form minus advanced techniques. this is my early impression from fighting my brother and he used fox in melee. i can see more characters being in the high tiers though (like ike, maybe). again still early to tell.

D

Deleted member

yes because when you learn how to fastfall, shine, and bair he's a beast

Animal control

Smash Ace
when i played the game he seem to be pretty good but you have to create a new fight strategy, but for top tier he still has a change of being top tier

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I have seen a million of these threads and I just cant seem to vioce my opinion in all of them...I dont know if fox will remain top tier, but it doesnt really matter, the smash bro series is balanced enough where if you like a character and play as him/her enough, then you can win competetivly, whether it be fox or yoshi or ike or kirby, or ice climbers, or pit, or dk, or rob, or whatever...

Roa33

Smash Rookie
In melee I personally mained fox and could do a lot of the advanced techs with him, but something seems to be considerable different to me about Fox in general, either between his slightly slower play style, or the fact that his shines were nerfed a little idk. But since Brawl came I have abandoned Fox and moved to Diddy. I do think that he will remain high tier though, simply because not too much has changed from melee. Fox may have been nerfed, but that is probably only because of the change in physics in Brawl from Melee, which obviously means all the other melee characters are going to see similiar affects.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he'll be top, but I still think he's a great character. I appear to have ended on him after coming from Pikachu in melee to pika in brawl, then wolf, and now Fox.

IMO, he's just too fun to play! He's fast as hell and has a reasonable assortment of advanced techs already that I can spend my time mastering (jump shine anyone?). I like to think his speed lends to his potential as well.

His shine nerf definately hurts him a lot and gives him quite a few more weaknesses but he's still a great character and you won't see him disappear in this iteration of Smash!

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
fox is still bad-*** in every way. fox is still as good if not better. ive seen many youtube videos of play that were fox players in melee using all his little techniques and wavedashing and the whole works. but when they played brawl they simply werent good at all. why? because people dont know how to use fox. if you dont have quick reflexes, cant form strategies to get around people, dont think defense first, and most important you dont roll... than you shouldnt play as fox

like lootic was saying:
i think the game is so balanced tiers really dont matter any more, its more skill,mindgames and the quantity of characters youll become able to play that is going to matter and less im chosing a character whos boooooooriiiiiing to play as cause i want to win.

the game is way more balanced with characters that were slower in melee getting attack speed and delay quicker. its more skill and mindgames not whos top tier and who isnt

ChopingBoard

Smash Journeyman
Fox is too easy to chain grab with ice climbers, falco, and pikachu. He will not be top tier.

but if you people want to believe he will be, good luck with that. it will never happen. His recovery is too easy to predict and gimp. He gets slaughtered by IC's and pika so bad it isn't funny. Just because you see a few noobs own someone with fox on youtube doesn't mean crap.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
he still has potential....you just have to play him differnt. like many characters.

I think he will stay high but he wont be "god" like he was in melee...but then again i guess you never know

L E T

Smash Rookie
wow this sucks man fox is way to different all his combos are realy gone....

Goron

Smash Rookie
contenders for top tier imo:

marth
wolf
diddy
fox
dedede
lucas
zamus
toon link

although think fox will be in high high tier this time

in time fox could returned to top tier but it wont happen for a while
You say wolf and fox are top tier possibles, but no falco?

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
Short and simple. Do you think Fox will stay top tier?

Me? I don't think so. He'll probably jump down to high/middle tier. Waveshine is what brought him to Melee's top tier in the first place. You can't wavedash, much less waveshine in Brawl...so what tier do you think Fox will be in Brawl??

...or is it too early??
TA4Q!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/428847
*Smashes you with Game-Cube Controller*

abcde560

Smash Rookie
Short and simple. Do you think Fox will stay top tier?

Me? I don't think so. He'll probably jump down to high/middle tier. Waveshine is what brought him to Melee's top tier in the first place. You can't wavedash, much less waveshine in Brawl...so what tier do you think Fox will be in Brawl??

...or is it too early??
i would say its to early but you have a point fox was good for wavedash so he might get downgraded but it dosnt matter only people new to super smash wont play him.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
Too early to tell. People have yet to use their characters to it's full potential. It'll take a while for people to adapt to the new game mechanics. As for him being in a tier list, I would guess he would still pretty high up there.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
For top and high tier:

- Marth
- Fox
- Falco
- Ike
- Kind DeDeDe
- Diddy Kong
- Pit/Meta Knight
Ike can be camped like a mofo.

Fox is still top tier in my opinion. Of course with the other good characters "top tier" may not be as high as it was in Melee. Too bad I see like 1 person out of a million playing him these days. The fox population was replaced with the past Roy poup.

THANXone

Smash Rookie
i do not think he will be in Top, i think he will either be in high, or maybe even middle tier. Players say that his nerfed moves have placed him lower in the list, when in actuality all-around smash bros. gameplay got nerfed, and some characters just got rediculously buffed (coughzeldacough). I hope he gets placed in lower tier, i love playing with underrated characters, and hopefully his lower placing will keep newbkids from jumping on the high tier bandwagon.:urg:

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
TA4Q!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/428847
*Smashes you with Game-Cube Controller*
^^
I love this man/woman/thing.

But seriously, I don't think fox will stay at the top, as this time around he's got a lot, and I mean A LOT of competition. The lack of Hit-stun in this game makes any of his combos from before almost impossible to pull off against a player with a good working knowledge of the game (I'm not insulting anyone, I just mean that things like the drill-shine aren't really entirely possible anymore). Most of his moves and his recovery have been nerfed, though not a enough to make him a failure of a spacie. He's definitely going to drop in the tier list. Probably high or mid-high.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's a bit early to say, but I'm pretty sure he will. Just because some of his attacks were weakened and there is no more Waveshine doesn't mean anything to me; there is still plenty of time for new techniques to be discovered that will replace his of old.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
His drill shine being lost has just been replaced with other things. Nair to jabs works almost every time unless they are expecting it, and even then it's quite difficult to grab between, which seems to be the only option. This combo puts up a lot more damage than the drill shine did. Granted the drill shine worked every if done quickly enough and l canceled, but it wasn't easy to consistently pull off. Fox takes a bit of getting used to. Saying that he took a big speed nerf is also not entirely true. Considering that all of the characters in this game have been slowed down, he's still very fast, not to much has very little move recovery. Drilling into a down smash also works pretty well when you time coming down with the drill correctly so the recovery is minimal. I don't know if I'd expect to see fox at the top tier for the first tier or so, but give it a year or a few and I bet he'll make his way to top, probably #1.

Top Bottom