• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Fox stay Top Tier??

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Short and simple. Do you think Fox will stay top tier?

Me? I don't think so. He'll probably jump down to high/middle tier. Waveshine is what brought him to Melee's top tier in the first place. You can't wavedash, much less waveshine in Brawl...so what tier do you think Fox will be in Brawl??

...or is it too early??

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Waveshining isn't just what made him a God, it was his entire move set. There are people who don't waveshine at all and are really good with him. He's just all around broken.

And it's too early.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I think that with wavedashing gone fox will move down a little in the tiers. It wasn't necessarily wavedashing that made fox a god, but it greatly contributed to his speed and superior mobility. With characters like Marth, I would argue wavedashing is less important, which will keep him top tier. I'm sure that we will find something to make up for the lack of wavedashing though...

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
At first I thought he would be high or middle now. I kept yelling NERF NERF NERF... But I know, I think's he'll saty at top tier. I Mean who could surpass him? Metaknight, don't make me laugh.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Nah... I think people say that because they want their characters to be better.
EX: For me It was Mario and Link... I was in Denial...

Taekmkm

Smash Cadet
He'd probably stay as a high tier. Drill to Up-tilt plus gattling comboes will keep him in, plus Shine-gimping is still in. He still has a good U-air and laser spamming for damage adding.

Top tier is really a stretch since I've yet to see what makes him on par/surpass characters like Marth.

The Don

Smash Cadet
I think the only character that may pass him is Marht but overall he will stick on the top

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
contenders for top tier imo:

marth
wolf
diddy
fox
dedede
lucas
zamus
toon link

although think fox will be in high high tier this time

in time fox could returned to top tier but it wont happen for a while

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention his speed hasn't dropped, he's what, the second fastest in game? Second to sonic now? Hi can infinite shine without dashing, his laser is faster and stronger, the only REAL nerf I see is that he floats more and that his up air is a bit nerfed. Nothing else, but the floatiness is something all characters have and if it weren't for his floatiness, he wouldn't be able to J-Shine.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
He's totally moving down in the tiers. In all honesty i think that its possible that its pretty even for the most part for all characters. Thats what it looks like but idk. Fox is nerfed and its a good thing cause now people can't use him as an excuse for losing.

LordIke100

Smash Rookie
For top and high tier:

- Marth
- Fox
- Falco
- Ike
- Kind DeDeDe
- Diddy Kong
- Pit/Meta Knight

technomancer

Smash Champion
I don't think he's in it at all, Diddy is going to molest him from everything I've seen.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Fox will still be high most likely. I'm probably going to switch to Wolf as my main space animal though as I've wanted to play as him for forever.

I'm still going to try all the other characters though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not top tier. No waveshining or up air kills. His Up-smash is toned down, his B-air is harder to hit with. Lost effectiveness to throw setups. Laser spamming is less effective from what I hear. Not saying he's bad, but he did lose most of what made him the best in Melee.

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
you are all wrong sheik should be at the top teir after all sheik has one off he best combo movesets
I mean come on that air forward -A is no joke and also what about marth and what the other guys name hmmmmm

The Don

Smash Cadet
Sheik Has been horribly nerfed she has little to no killing power, Marth like i said earlier he is probably the only character i could see passing fox on the tier list. Ike (i assume thats who you mean) is slow, a powerhouse but you can see his moves coming from a mile away

Lithos

Smash Cadet
I can see Fox remaining high on the list, but I think he'll have a tough time owning it. A lot of characters have a lot more potential to match him with this time around, but I think his being a Melee favorite will carry him quite a bit. Guess we'll just have to wait and see lol

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Why? Would you still main him if he wasn't top tier?

Look, we're not discussing who should be in the top tier, we're discussing if Fox should stay top tier.
I think you mean WILL he stay top tier. Cause ideally, no one SHOULD be top tier.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as how there are no tiers in Brawl, I don't think it really matters. In another post someone stated that character tiers are based purely on Tourney results, but thats bs, seeing as how all it comes down to is skill of the player.

So say Fox is considered top tier in Brawl and so and so comes along and completely destroys you with Yoshi, who by some is considered low tier, what would you say then?

Lithos

Smash Cadet
Seeing as how there are no tiers in Brawl, I don't think it really matters. In another post someone stated that character tiers are based purely on Tourney results, but thats bs, seeing as how all it comes down to is skill of the player.

So say Fox is considered top tier in Brawl and so and so comes along and completely destroys you with Yoshi, who by some is considered low tier, what would you say then?
Tiers aren't based soley on tourney results. I don't think you quite understand what they mean.

They typically represent the scenario that the two people playing are equally skilled. If two people of equal skill play, one picks Marth and the other picks Yoshi, then based on the character attributes AND overall results, Marth is more likely to win.

If the two players aren't equally skilled, then more often than not the better player will win regardless of their character.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
Unless it is someone actually cool and deserving of it, like Mario or G&W. =P
Eh, Tiers should not be the main focus right now, it is way too early for this stuff... At least give yourself some time to enjoy the game before it grows horribly stale from everyone using the SAME character because of the high chances of winning...

I was never a fan of tiers at all, and in Melee, Ness was considered low tier after being in the top in the 64 version but that never stopped me from playing as him competitively, in fact the struggle against harder opponents kept the game alive for me and I got to learn all of the strategies competitive Fox, Sheik and Marth players they possessed in tournaments, and thought up of some strategies of my own to beat them (Oh yes, it is very possible)...

Sure many were skeptical of the thought of a great competitive Ness player, but in the end they are quite surprised to be beaten or even going through a neck and neck near-miss fighting a Ness player...

My point is, If Fox was lower tier, even on the off chance of him being in the lowest tier (which is unlikely, but hypothetically). Would you still try to use him competitively because you like him as a character? Or, would you just totally give up on him because of him getting nerfed a bit so he's not totally broken anymore?

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
Well said Mac 77. Personally some of the best players I ever played in Melee were using characters considered low tier, like Pichu/Bowser/Mewtwo. So tiers don't mean a **** thing to me. I just don't want the Brawl tournament scene ruined by 70% of the players using Metaknight or Marth because someone out there stated that they were top tier.

Top Bottom