• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote+ Nunchuck Button Layout Tech (Edit: More Stuff)

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I posted this earlier in another thread but I believe it deserves its own (After all we have easily seen worse).

If you change the A+B combo (default grab) into jump you are now able to perform automatic perfect short hop-aerials with only the press and release of the B button.

Pressing A+B makes your character jump. As soon as you let go of B your character will perform an aerial attack (Note: You don't need to let go of A even after you land, you can also block or perform any other action with A held down). So you can just tap the B button as soon as you land and your character will short hop then perform an aerial of your choice (Note: Uairs can only be performed by holding up on the control stick lightly if you hold it up all the way your character will Usmash).

Rundown:
1) Change A+B on the Wiiremote+Chuck to Jump
2) Go into a match press A+B (Jump happens)
3) Let go of B (Attack happens)
4) Land and repeat

;) Come on just try it!!!! ;)

This tech can come in handy for getting perfect timing on those pesky short hop Dairs for Yoshis and Ganondorfs Homerun contest

Edit: I you are so inclined you could also try changing the B button to Grab/Shield to enable perfect short hop dodges. To perform this insead of tapping B, tap A.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm a WiiChuckuser, and this sounds interesting. Although I already find shothop aerials quite easy(down on dpad is jump, so flicking from down to a is really easy), I suppose I might be able to find use for this since I don't use A+B for anything anyways. I will test once I get home.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Ya its not really a replacement for anything but its an interesting find . It could be useful but it really changes up playstyle.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
they aren't empty short hops. Its a short hop and an attack. and if u want u could change the B button to shield or grab and have short hop dodges to SHAD's

Mith_

Smash Champion
This is interesting since we are forced to use WiiChucks at school this can help my AT game a lot. TY.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Instead of making my own thread I'll just to add some more techs to this.

-With the A+B button combination set to jump and tap jump off.

1) Jumpcanceled Up+B OoS
:Hold shield, Hold B and Hold up, press and release A very quickly.

2) Jumpcanceled Up Smash
:Hold up, press A+B, release B very quickly.

3) Rising pound (Jigglypuff)
: Tilt the control stick foward, press and hold B to perform the initial pound, then start tapping A like mad (make sure that every time you press A you release it very quickly)

4) Chaining rising aerials

Note: the reason why you need to release the last button quickly is so that your controller performs a short hop which can be canceled by Up smash and Up+B. If you hold onto that button you character will perform a full hop.

Recommendation: Learn to jump with the C button or have some other method to jump for empty hops. The A+B button combination is really efficient for rising aerials and is worthy of it's placement over grab. Simply put, when you go to perform a rising aerial you'll be using two buttons anyway so it doesn't put strain on your fingers what so ever. A+B jumping also allows you to decide on what aerial you'd prefer after you've performed your jump. However, you shouldn't be using A+B for empty hops as you have to spend extra effort releasing both A and B at the same time.

Other Wiimote+chuck tricks:

Have Tap Jump Off, the entire D-pad set to smashes, and B set to specials to do the following.

Easy Dacus (even for shiek!):
Begin dash and then move the control stick to the up position, at the same time press Down smash and then A.

Note: You don't need to move your thumb during this as the buttons are small to begin with. So all you really need to do is just apply pressure from the tip of your thumb to press Down smash and then press A using the middle of your thumb.

Pseudo B-sticking:
Press any of the smash attacks then immediately after, press the B button (try to press them at the same time). This has about the same difficulty as pressing the A+B button.

The reason why you'd use this over the GC controller's B-sticking is because there are some characters that benefit from have both Smash-sticking and B-sticking like Pokemon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus.

Fastfalling:
While in the air at the peak of your jump, Press A (to perform your aerial), then press Down Smash.

Your character will perform an aerial attack and will fastfall it. Again, since both the A button and the Down Smash button are small and next to each other, your thumb doesn't need to move at all. Just press A first and tilt your thumb so that the tip presses Down Smash.

Edit: You can just SHAD by Moving your finger from the C button (jump) and sliding/rolling it over to the Z button (shield)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This is cool, exploring control options few people dare venture out into.

Including me.

*points at you in fear* HEATHENS!!!

Napilopez

Smash Lord
yay WiiChuck uses.

DAC is also easy to do if you have smashes on the dpad, and you learn to "flick" from right on the dpad to up on the dpad really quickly. Learn the timing for your respective char, and it becomes very easy.

Seeya

Smash Cadet
i got to try this, it sounds like easy short hops and that's good when you need to fast fall with a Meta Knight :)

hmmm... this is harder for me than i thought :confused: but that's how it was like with the infinite dimmensional cape lol

XienZo

Smash Lord
You know people, this is also on the GC controller. Jump with analog while imultaneously hitting the C-stick and you'll do a short-hopped aerial regardless of how long you hold it.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
You know people, this is also on the GC controller. Jump with analog while imultaneously hitting the C-stick and you'll do a short-hopped aerial regardless of how long you hold it.
A+B jumping is much more versatile. What do I do if I want a guaranteed rising special? B-sticking you say? Well, what if I wish to perform a rising special and a rising aerial (asap) in the one match?

The c-stick isn't conveniently placed either... you'll have to move your thumb all the way down every time whereas with A+B jumping your thumb doesn't need to move at all.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
This seems like something worthwhile to try. I've never been much into changing the controller button layout though...
I use to use the wiimote + nunchuk but I gave up on it becaue I missed the control stick on the gc controller too much.
I think it's easier just to short hop aerial the regular way

Julz

Smash Apprentice
yay WiiChuck uses.

DAC is also easy to do if you have smashes on the dpad, and you learn to "flick" from right on the dpad to up on the dpad really quickly. Learn the timing for your respective char, and it becomes very easy.
I was using this method before for jump canceling. So when I converted to using the Dpad for smashes it was the first thing I tried out. So far I could only do it with Snake and falco, it seems impossible for shiek and wario.

This seems like something worthwhile to try. I've never been much into changing the controller button layout though...
I use to use the wiimote + nunchuk but I gave up on it becaue I missed the control stick on the gc controller too much.
I think it's easier just to short hop aerial the regular way
The fact that you can store your settings on the remote itself is just asking you to customize those controls. Also, the default settings for the wiimote+chuck is crap.

Secondly, it's not so much about ease but rather the effort spent to make those inputs. The wiimote+chuck is about helping you to multitask better for less energy. The inputs themselves still have a high learning curve, especially the A+B combo. You need to focus more on timing rather than the speed at which you move your thumbs from one place to another.

Top Bottom