• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Very impressive articles, and I agree with what it says about the gaming industry. I remember one time I went up to my friend and asked him what video game system he owns. He told me he owns a gameboy color, and that's it.

This makes me even more excited about Nintendo's new system. If they are able to pull off a machine that will get people back into video games, it will tremendously increase the gaming market as a whole and may give Nintendo a much needed edge in the industry.

I suggest that everyone who hasn't read the article yet do so now.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The industry isn't really lacking customers... 80 million PS2s sold, 20 million Xboxes, some 17 million GameCubes... Lets not even begin to count all the GBA models.

thepixlyzdpitbull

Smash Apprentice
THIS IS A LARGE POST.

Just want to talk about a few things, especially about Giygas' post. Sorry if these have been addressed by subsequent posts. I haven't read the entire thread, so please excuse me.

Originally posted by Giygas
...now that the first "serious" handheld competitor has entered the market and has already begun nibbling at Nintendo's share.
Sega wasn't serious? The Game Gear was fairly popular.

Competitors included DVD players, Ninty included... well, nothing.
Please keep in mind that Sony and Microsoft markets and manufactures their consoles as "entertainment machines".

"The PlayStation [3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine" - Ken Kutaragi

Sony's PS2 looked great and the Xbox looked decent, while GameCube was regarded as a purple toybox (despite Nintendo's later efforts to make the change to black being the primary color).
I don't remember Nintendo trying to "change" the primary colour of the GameCube. You absolutely sure about this?

The lack of mature-rated games, the kiddy image, the oversaturation of Pokemon and Mario. Which led to lack of third-party support.
Wow. All those things led to a lack of third-party support? Really?

Third-parties are almost afraid of Nintendo. Releasing a game on the GCN is a fairly large risk - because there stands a good chance that a sizeable profit will not be made. Why? Because a Nintendo game will almost always overshadow a third-party game.

Of course, Nintendo has tried to reverse some trends. Backwards compatibility is great. Although you do know that the official quote is "technically ever game made by Nintendo could be played." You've got "technically" which basically means "theoretically" which means that only certain games will be available (for a price), and you've got "made by Nintendo" which seems to me like it'll exclude games by other companies.
Nintendo can't just include third-party titles. I'm sure that if a third-party wants their game in the catalogue, Nintendo will allow it.

And how are you going to include games with strange controllers and whatnot? How can they include a game like Mario Paint?

Wi-fi is nice and free, although there are better technologies out there. But it's great to see Nintendo move to online.
Like what? Ethernet? Wi-fi is the next logical step in networking. In online play, you will not notice a speed difference between ethernet and Wi-fi.

And of course the ability to play DVDs (with seperate purchase for the hookup) is cool too, although since everyone pretty much has DVD players at this point and since Sony and Xbox are moving to the "Blu-ray" and "HD" eras respectively which opens up massive storage capabilities, it doesn't look so hot.
This is exactly why Nintendo has the "hookup" thing. Everyone has a DVD player and excluding out-of-the-box support will keep costs down.

Sure, I applaud Nintendo for bucking the industry trends and I do also agree that graphics aren't everything. Heck, look at RE4 on the GameCube. It's probably one the best, if not THE best-looking game this generation. Yet when Sony and Microsoft tout big numbers and you see that Killzone video (real or not), I can't see the move that financially viable for Nintendo.
Think about it. How many next-gen games will actually take advantage of the supposed extra power of the XBox 360 and PS3 (compared to the Rev)? Just the major high-budget blockbuster hits I'm sure. Not all developers will have access to unlimited funds and labour. For those developers, the Revolution is good enough.

I predict that the Revolution will be the platform that the developers with great game ideas but limited funds will make games for.

Originally posted by DreamCaster
Nintendo should just friggin' go third party.

There I said it.

This is not the first time I have preached this gospel and my utter loathing of Iwata makes this an impossible dream:

Originally quoted by Satoru Itwata:
Nintendo will stop making video games altogether if they're not making consoles.

ARRRRGH!! WHAT KIND OF BS IS THAT?! This may be an EXTRA peeve to me becuase I am a Sega veteran (and look at them, they tried, oh God how Sega tried, but in the end Sega came to realize that people love their games, not their consoles, so that's what Sega does, they make games, they didn't just disapear and QUIT and BETRAY their fans because they could no longer make consoles). Many, many, maaaaany Nintendo fans all agree: "with gaming it's not the consoles that are important, but rather the games." So tell me, why is Nintendo making consoles? Many people here will agree with me (especially with the N64 and GC) Nintendo is renound for their great games, not their consoles. Sony and Microsoft are huge technology supplying companies that know how to make market hardware. Do Sony and Microsoft even make their own games?... Okay yes, they do, every now and then you see a Sony SCEI game (Dark Cloud, Ico, Parappa the Rapper, or an Micorsoft Game Studios game (... uh... Project Gotham Racing... I think... but those games aren't what sell Playstations or Xboxes... it's the games Sony and Micorsoft pay 3rd Party Developers for, even for their exclusive titles to futher promote their consoles. PlayStaion and Xbox are gaming hubs, acess to a world of gaming... Gamecube is... acess to Nintendo... more or less.
GAWD! All he's saying is that Nintendo will never leave the hardware business. And why would they want to? It's not a sound business move. Nintendo's hardware pretty much always consistently makes them a profit.

People really need to stop comparing Nintendo to Sega so much. Nintendo has been making profits since their foray into the industry. Sega has been losing money for years. The Sega CD flopped. The 32X flopped. So much Sega hardware flopped. Seriously. Stop it. Iwata is a smart man. I respect him.

Remember the days of NES and SNES? Did we have all the junk we have now? Link Cables? Infared Ports? Wi-Fi? Console to Handheld connectors? Dual Screens? Touch Pads? Did it ever matter? Nintendo games were good games because or enthralling gameplay mechanics, engaging storylines, and lengendary heroes.
See this? Before the NES, what did we have? Trackballs? Joysticks? After the NES, what did we have? D-pads and controllers. What's your point? Are you saying that noone should EVER try to stir things up? To try and create a new input method? Do you think that Super Mario Bros. would be fun using a trackball or joystick?

Yeah, back then you didn't need extra peripherals, but let innovation continue forward. We can't just have the same control schemes serving us for over 2 decades.

...just like the golden years of NES and SNES... Nintendo didn't need facny graphics or add ons, they gave you a simple d-pad-and-two-button controller and let you have fun.
Poppycock. Graphics always mattered. There was just a limitation on the technology compared to the artists' capabilities, so there was a focus on gameplay.

Have you ever seen the first Zelda (NES) T.V. ad? The one with that awful Zelda rap? Remember what the second kid said when he was shown the newsletter? I believe it was, "Whoa! Nice graphics! I'd like to get my hands on that game."

Mr. Miyamoto was also afraid to show Super Mario Sunshine, because you just know everyone was going to steal the idea of a talking water nozzle.

Or they're just embarrased.
pwnt.

Seriously though. D-pad, stolen. Analogue stick, stolen. Rumble Pak, stolen. Actually good wireless first-party controllers, stolen.

And about the 2-3 times GCN power thing, I'm not sure if you guys seen the IGN Revolution FAQ, but here's a snippet:

Q: Is Revolution "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube"?

A: USA Today reported this news based on a comment from Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. The information was later determined to be false. We do not yet know how much more power Revolution wields over its predecessor.

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
thepixlyzdpitbull, you are right about keeping the cost down by not including out-of-the-box dvd playback. If you were to buy the addition separately, or buy it if it were included with the console, it'd come to the same cost i'm sure.

About the 'stolen ideas'. I wouldn't really say that the other companies stole it. If other companies were excluded from basing there controllers from someone else, what else would they come up with? If Nintendo didn't come into being, someone would have come up of similar features sooner or later. I'm not sure if you implied it this way or not but i don't think the hardware makes a profit for the company in any way, in sales anyway

So the Revolution is possibly more powerful. Great, great, great.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Cashed
Misto, BC might not mean much to you, but it's a major selling point for many people.
The point I was making was that it wasn't practical. It's easy to pop in a second OS on your system(KiKi, you know what I mean by this.... no dumb Linux jokes please...) to load from, but imagine how the Cube would turn out if a slot was made available for its previous system. Where would it go?

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
Same here.

It's too much of a pessimistic look into gaming disregarding some facts.

I would take it serious if it were more evident that gaming is actually going down.
But unlike the old Atari, games have a bigger fanbase than ever and people are speculating over when the next system is coming out instead of when games will go defunct.

BA out..

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Found this at aussienintendo.com.....

"...speaking to MCV after the event, a senior Nintendo source outlined the company’s current thinking. “Revolution will launch towards the end of next year,” the source said. “We’re currently looking at mirroring the DS strategy, so Revolution would release in the US first in November, closely followed by Japan – then we’re looking at March 2007 for PAL territories.”

Crap.....

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by B0r3d*m Alien
Oy that's late :-(

By then PS3 and X360 will be 200 dollars..
BA out...
More like $250 and $450.

Oh wait, I forgot, Sony hasn't even announced when it will release in the US, just Japan.

Heh.

That could play well into Revolution's favor.

Cheaper system, couple of games vs. More expensive system, maybe like 1 game.

Depending on how many games you want for startup or whatever, there ya' go.

Not to mention you can download the classics for probably a very cheap price.

After all it sounds like Revolution will have online out of the box, and a reliable service, while Sony hasn't really touched the online issue, not that they would with a six foot pole.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
November of next year? Holy crap. I was hoping to be playing this thing summer of next year. :C

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh Boo Hoo Cashed. You se how long PAL teritories are having to wait? My money says we'll get it Q2 07.....

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Assuming that the November part is true (I'm skeptical), my bet's on Nov 18th as an exact date. If you know your Nintendo history, you'll understand why.

and that also just so happens to be my birthday... heheheh...

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Pal Rev Q2 2007 seems very unlikely since Nintendo has changed their attitude towards Europe. We are hardly ever screwed over anymore.

But it did happen with the Gamecube though...

I'm surprised you don't even have one of the many beautiful photoshop colored Revolution pictures.

There are plenty more if you want me to post them.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Is there a link to a gallery with them all in it? cos i would like to see the rest of them. its very clever how they did that.

even though it will never happen, i really really want that NES one. that is so freaking cool. a blend of old and new, so sentimental *has mario bros flashbacks* ...

Pal Rev Q2 2007 seems very unlikely since Nintendo has changed their attitude towards Europe. We are hardly ever screwed over anymore.
yeah, dont forget Australia, we are nintendos *****. we get screwed over pretty much everything. although nintendo does treat us better than sony and xbox does.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
whoever did the dar samus messed up.

the Samus is standing straight up, but the Rev is tilted back in its stand.

the rest of them are angled correctly.

there was already a GBSP done like an SNES, that's not a new idea.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
I read an article about to PAL 2007 thing, but from what I understand, it's Europe only, from what the article implied.

But on another note, wow, those photoshops are awesome.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cyrahk
I read an article about to PAL 2007 thing, but from what I understand, it's Europe only, from what the article implied.
Alright! That means Australia will most likely wait even longer!

Dec 07.....Curse you Nin of Au.....

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Here's another article from Ign on the Revolution. Nothing too new or exciting, but it's worth checking out. My guess is will learn more during the Tokyo Game Show, but for now, here's what we got...

In a recent interview with the Mercury News, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata talked about the future of the game industry, the impending next-generation consoles, and where the Big N stands. While much of what the executive told the paper was a reiteration of what he spoke about at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 last week in Los Angeles, some interesting specifics were revealed.

Asked about Revolution versus PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Iwata once more stated that Nintendo's strategy was different. "The direction that we are heading is completely different from the direction the others are going. They are spending enormous energies on specifications so they can claim an edge in computer graphics. But the result so far is the media and game fans are still not quite satisfied with the resulting graphics," Iwata said. "I believe we need to refrain from announcing anything specific about performance right now. The graphics they can generate now are not to be trusted as the real thing. Once they can generate samples of actual machines and we can touch a real controller, that's when we may be able to give an assessment."

Many industry pundits felt that Nintendo failed to show off why its forthcoming console is so "revolutionary" at E3 2005. Iwata responded to these critics. "We don't think it's necessary or very important for anyone to list technology specifications. We have unique ideas about the controller. But it's too early. If we showed them, the others would be able to steal our concepts. We have been through so many nightmares, including announcing the 'rumble pack' controllers, which we announced first, but our rival introduced it before we did," he said.

Nintendo's console market share took a hit during the life cycle of GameCube. Iwata said that in order to avoid a repeat of the situation and further diminishment of its videogame pie, the company cannot be too late with the launch of Revolution. He also said that a steady flow of software -- a problem on GameCube -- is a must. "Immediately after the launch date of the hardware, we need to constantly provide the market with new games," he said. " I don't think quantity is important. Quality is important. We will introduce quality games, one after another."

Iwata once more promised that new Revolution information -- possibly even the mysterious controller -- would be released by the end of the year. "When it comes to Nintendo's console timing, we will talk at the end of the year about our plans for 2006. We need to make some more explanation about Revolution at that time. I think it is when you are able to show the actual machine and actual controller," he said.

The Nintendo president even took a jab at Sony, whose PlayStation 3 demos were confirmed to be rendered on unfinished hardware and not running in real-time. "Right now it's too early," Iwata said about the possibility of Nintendo releasing immediate information on Revolution. "Others are showing things that are speculation. They are working on an assumption that they can provide the same performance as what they show in a pre-rendered movie on a PC."

As it stands, Nintendo is on track to launch Revolution after both Microsoft and Sony debut Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 respectively. Still, Iwata doesn't seem worried. "As the numerous examples in the past have shown, with the GameCube, we don't believe the first to approach game developers should win automatically. More important is to have an accurate, down-to-earth proposal about what we want them to do and what the machine will do," he said. "We will not be too late in doing so. When we can show them a very complete proposal, we are certain we can win over developers."

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by mic_128
Alright! That means Australia will most likely wait even longer!

Dec 07.....Curse you Nin of Au.....
Gah! *crawls into a corner*

More than a year after the US gets it...they might as well just pull Nintendo out of Australia altogether...

saud

Smash Lord
I'm surprised you don't even have one of the many beautiful photoshop colored Revolution pictures.
So those pictures are made by photoshop and aren't real right? I just wish the classic NES Revolution will be released, it's the best design IMO.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by saud
So those pictures are made by photoshop and aren't real right? I just wish the classic NES Revolution will be released, it's the best design IMO.
I'm shocked you even have to ask that...they aren't exactly the best photoshop jobs ever...that NES one would indeed be very cool though, especially considering the fact that NES games will be playable on it...some of the custom designs shown in that Nintendo On video looked pretty cool too...and considering the customisable options for the gameboy micro, and Xbox 360 having changeable face-plates, maybe Nintendo will actually do something along the lines of this...

Dark Lord Uraj

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by ChRed2AKrisp
whereas the PS3 has a boomerang with buttons. joy oh joy.
In that case, Australia can look forward to getting it earlier than US

(Note: For all intentive purposes, no insult is intended towards Australians for the blatant stereotyping...after all, I am an AMERICAN...for you guys, it's so easy it's not even worth it blol)

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Classic Nintendo games for free? Sounds cool to me.

In a recent interview with US website GameSpot, Nintendo of America vice president George Harrison answered some burning questions, finally giving some kind of clue as to how Nintendo plans to play this generation.

"People sort of picked on us for not prematurely jumping into online or internet gaming," he mused, going on to point out that now the company has more to offer besides online gaming. Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free.
He also sort of confirms that Nintendo doesn't see the competition as threatening, Rev will be easy and cheap to develop for, and that no one is saying **** about the controller.

(Did someone post this already, and I just missed it? Or that's just been sort of sitting out there for a week?)

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
I highly doubt that the downloadeable games will be free... Or at least I wont assume it and get my hopes up.

But if a NES game is gonna cost around $1-4 it really wont be that big a problem to me.
NES games should be the price of iTunes, 99 cents. I mean, I can find used Nintendo games for 40 cents.

Stopsign

Smash Ace
If you guys are interested. The Revolution just got some more support. Namco and Bandai just announced that they were going to support the Revolution. Also Iwata hinted towards there being a Kid Icarus on the Rev. Also the creator of Animal Crossing DS hinted towards there being an Animal Crossing on the Rev.

Good stuff.

Oh and ahh. The PS3 controller looks like ****, and it looks uncomfortable.

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
Having support from Bandai was obvious. Don't they own a portion of it? I never knew they made games though.
It is most likely that the support for the Revolution will be much greater than the Gamecube.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
I highly doubt that the downloadeable games will be free... Or at least I wont assume it and get my hopes up.
Why wouldn't you think first party games would be free, after all, Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees for them.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nothing in videogames that is full version, is free.

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
Nintendojo has runned a few stories on the free downloads rumor. The latest story they have confirms the rumor.
What I'm curious about are 1) Dead companies whos games were not picked up, and more importantly 2) games which their license was transfered. An example of this is Goldeneye, since Rare gave up the Bond license a short time after Goldeneye was released.

Top Bottom