• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Stopsign

Smash Ace
I think Nintendo won't do as bad as people have said it will Next-Gen. It has already sold itself on a bunch of gamers just by the fact that it has total backwards compatibility. I know a lot of Japanese Publishers/Developers will find it way to expensive to develop for the PS3 and X360, and some American studios to. It will probably improve on it's 3rd Party support and it's userbase this generation. This would be a big improvement over this Gen. Especially if it's revelation is a good one.

I would kill myself if I had to use that PS3 controller. It is the worst designed controller ever. I think Sony is trying to make things that look like common house-hold items like a Coleman Grill (the PS3 itself), and the not so common items like the Boomerang controller.

I might pick up the Xbox 360 if I get a job though. It has a promising future.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Stopsign said:
I know a lot of Japanese Publishers/Developers will find it way to expensive to develop for the PS3 and X360, and some American studios to.
Eh, the GCN touted how cheap it was to develop for too, and developers certainly flocked to that, didn't they?

Bahful

Smash Apprentice
A few big-name developpers have expressed interest in, or in developping for, the machine. Unfortunately that interest is from no less a spectator's viewpoint than ours.
Any word on when N'll be distributing the dev kits?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
In a recent interview with US gaming magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Iwata stated: “We are doing several experiments, including working with the original Super Mario Bros.., with the new technology...The game itself and the gameplay shall be identical, but the look will be different; it's possible that with Revolution, we may be able to see the old games with new looks.” He also said that the 3D games from the Nintendo 64 would “look sharper” when played on Revolution

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Concerning Nintendo's announcement to spruce up the classics with better graphics... anyone find this kinda against their whole philosophy? You know... that graphics are overrated?

Especially with the classics. The classics are classics because of not just how they play but because of how they look. When I download Super Mario Bros. I want it to look like it was 20 years ago, because that's all part of the nostalgia that goes with it. If Nintendo thinks doing this is going to be more appealing, it won't. These "classics" will appeal mostly to older gamers in the first place who wouldn't care a bit in the world and who are probably with me in that they don't want them to be "spruced up."

Besides, I'd like to see Nintendo devote their staff and payroll to making NEW Revolution games, not making the original Legend of Zelda have sound effects whenever Link swings his sword or to have the missles in the original Metroid leaving vapor trails.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
[Apparently we got uber shocked. Websites claimed that the GBA tilt system was the Revolution's.

Weird.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Updated! Just to confirm, our source GamesRadar have now updated their page with new details about the patent. The update explains what they found was actually a patent relating to GBA tilt control, and not the Revolution controller, which still remains a mystery.
Nope.10 character limit not including quotes, grumble grumble...

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
mic_128 said:
In a recent interview with US gaming magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Iwata stated: “We are doing several experiments, including working with the original Super Mario Bros.., with the new technology...The game itself and the gameplay shall be identical, but the look will be different; it's possible that with Revolution, we may be able to see the old games with new looks.” He also said that the 3D games from the Nintendo 64 would “look sharper” when played on Revolution
I think what they are talking about is upping the resolution and perhaps antialiasing...it's not exactly a major graphics overhaul, just simply using a little bit more of what the Revolution is capable of, if you have played any N64 games on an emulator with the resolution set up to 1280 x 960 (which runs very smoothly on most systems), it does make a big improvement...

Crowley

Smash Apprentice
...Revolution is gonna be the lowest of the three new consoles. No HDTV... Oh! And let's add in controllers that have a touch pad like a ds! Just like the dreamcast controller with tocuh and we all know how well that did...

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno, "old games with new looks" seems like it would be more along the lines of the SMB -> SM All-stars transition from the NES to the SNES, not just a few minor tweaks. On the N64 games I do agree that we'd be seeing something similar to the OOT effect as KI stated, however.

And Crowley, um, what exactly are you talking about? The DreamCast doesn't have touch controllers...

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
I think what Crowley means, is it's like the dreamcast controller but with touch capabilities.

Except that the bit about touchscreen on controllers was actually a reealy old patent for the gBA-GC link-up.And I don't know anyone who has HD-TV so it's not that big a deal.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Only around 10% of american households contain an HDTV, why would Nintendo cater to 1/10th of the American population, and probably less of EUrope, Japan, and Australia? Microsoft has better hances since they are an American company. Their basis for HD is that HD is on the rise and will soon spread to many more American households than the current 10%. However, this makes even less sense, because XBox360 is releasing November 2005, before HD has increased in popularity very much. I'm assuming they are trying to provide an incentive to buy HD televisions. By getting people to buy HD for the xbox360, they will increase the popularity of HD itself as more users get it, thus increasing the number of non xbox360 users to buy HD because of it's increasing popularity, and thus increase the number of users who will buy the XBox360 because they already have an HDTV.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
A lot of people criticized the original Xbox for supporting broadband only internet because so few people had that just years ago. Look at that now. Something like half of the homes with computers now have broadband instead of 56K. HDTV support could go the same way.

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Yeh, but this is TV's. Your net connection would greatly effect yor experence on the game. IE. You didn't want to wait for12 minutes for your match to finally load, then to be disconnected because your dad wanted to make a phone call. Or to have waited 12 minutes for someone with dial-up to load, then to mysteriously disconnect.

TV's however.....they don't drastically effect the gameplay. Does it really matter ifthe game isn't widescreen? No it does not. And I don't see people rushing out to get HD TV's because of this.
~Mic_128

BEAM swordzman

Smash Journeyman
About the whole new graphics for the 2D classics thing, I believe that the games will be 2D cell shaded kinda like viewtiful joe or it could be 3D like the Green Hill level in Sonic Adventure 2. I really hope Nintendo is making a truly revolutionary controller, not jus some Bob-it toy with wireless rumble feature. Oh joy. Also i just want to add, I'd like to see Nintendo and the other 3rd party publishers to make all there classic (NES, SNES, N64) multiplayer games online.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
Only around 10% of american households contain an HDTV, why would Nintendo cater to 1/10th of the American population, and probably less of EUrope, Japan, and Australia? Microsoft has better hances since they are an American company. Their basis for HD is that HD is on the rise and will soon spread to many more American households than the current 10%. However, this makes even less sense, because XBox360 is releasing November 2005, before HD has increased in popularity very much. I'm assuming they are trying to provide an incentive to buy HD televisions. By getting people to buy HD for the xbox360, they will increase the popularity of HD itself as more users get it, thus increasing the number of non xbox360 users to buy HD because of it's increasing popularity, and thus increase the number of users who will buy the XBox360 because they already have an HDTV.
10% of a market is still a fairly high percentage, more when you consider that Americans with HDTVs are more likely to be in the market for a game console than, say, Americans with no TVs (who you include in the 90% and really are among many not-prospective-customers-anyway). Frankly I'd (have expected) HDTV support, especially since the technology as of late has really been gaining in popularity. Not to mention they said something about innovating with computer hookups and such, which seems to me to be a perfect reason to start pushing out higher resolutions.

To compare, Nintendo pulled support for component connections (with their dumb proprietary connector) because they had less than 1% of Cube owners using it -- significantly smaller than saying 10% of all Americans. And like Cashed said, HDTVs will become much more commonplace especially over the next 5 years as cable/satellite companies push it more and networks start migrated en masse to higher quality broadcasts. FCC regulations requiring that sort of thing will speed the process along too, methinks.

(BTW, where's the link where Nintendo says no HDTV?)

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
I only wish Nintendo will learn their lesson from history and start being alittle more proactive. They're always playing catch-up. I mean they did it with DVD playback (strict gaming machine my a$$ what hypocrites), Online gaming, and now HD. I wish they'd stop being so d@mned stubbornly conservative! Sheesh.

Dapenda

Smash Champion
I think mainly it's because they just dont have as much to spend as the other 2 companies on pure hardware power. The stories about going their own direction in hardware though valid, is also just part of the coverup. If they were a mass multibillion dollar company then powering up the Revolution as much as the other 2 companies and also adding the system exclusive features would not be a problem. But, for this new generation of systems, and the increasing cost of game development, it's not as much nintendo being stubborn, but lack of funds.

All in all, I respect Nintendo's take on constantly being the leader in creating new ways to have fun. They did set the entire trend on many of today's gaming standards such as the wavebird, controller rumbling, zelda style 3d adventure, mario style 2d adventure, smashbro's style of fighting and probably many more I didnt mention. I do believe that sony and microsoft are just ripping off much of Nintendo's ideas. But since they have more funds, and the mainstream doesnt know any better than bigger and faster, that's what they're going to get. It's like the videogame industry is killing itself off and nintendo is the poor wise man.

Well, story of the day is poor, wise man tries to save its world

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
Dapenda said:
I think mainly it's because they just dont have as much to spend as the other 2 companies on pure hardware power. The stories about going their own direction in hardware though valid, is also just part of the coverup. If they were a mass multibillion dollar company then powering up the Revolution as much as the other 2 companies and also adding the system exclusive features would not be a problem. But, for this new generation of systems, and the increasing cost of game development, it's not as much nintendo being stubborn, but lack of funds.

All in all, I respect Nintendo's take on constantly being the leader in creating new ways to have fun. They did set the entire trend on many of today's gaming standards such as the wavebird, controller rumbling, zelda style 3d adventure, mario style 2d adventure, smashbro's style of fighting and probably many more I didnt mention. I do believe that sony and microsoft are just ripping off much of Nintendo's ideas. But since they have more funds, and the mainstream doesnt know any better than bigger and faster, that's what they're going to get. It's like the videogame industry is killing itself off and nintendo is the poor wise man.

Well, story of the day is poor, wise man tries to save its world
Huhh?! You're kidding right? Do you know that Nintendo has well over 8 BILLION dollars in reserve! Don't think that Nintendo isn't as big or as powerful as the other guys. They're a lucrative company and it shows! They're just being conservative.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
supersaiyanlink said:
I only wish Nintendo will learn their lesson from history and start being alittle more proactive. They're always playing catch-up. I mean they did it with DVD playback (strict gaming machine my a$$ what hypocrites), Online gaming, and now HD. I wish they'd stop being so d@mned stubbornly conservative! Sheesh.
If you've taken a little notice to anything that's happening now at all, they are being very proactive, but apparently just not in the aspects you're looking for. Nintendo wants to break away from how consoles today are simply being turned into media center devices first and game machines second. As far as DVD playback, it's still only an option, not something that's built into the system. This means that if you happen to not already own a device in your household that will play back DVDs (most people that I can think of have at least 2-4), you can purchase that small upgrade to have it. But if you do already have something that will play DVDs, it makes the system overall that much cheaper and allows for more/better electronics to be put in its place. And everybody seems to forget the iQue, the modified Gamecube with DVD capabilities that was sold in Japan for a while. IIRC, it was released only a few months after the original Gamecube, so to say that Nintendo hadn't actually tried that ability early on is false.

Moving on, whether or not the Revolution has HD compatibility or not will not be a factor at all for me, and certainly for many others as well. It may be "the next best thing" for TVs, but as long as the normal televisions sell for significantly less than HD, I can care less. That little bit sharper picture means very little to me when the difference of cost is still more than several hundred dollars. It was brought up that it could be a skyrocketing technology shortly, much like the upgrades to broadband connections have been these past years. I find this very unlikely because of the differences of use between the two. Broadband internet allowed users to download and upload larger packets of information faster, something that was necessary for anybody planning to download any sort of multimedia, product upgrades, programs, etc., which were quickly becoming vital to any sort of business. This also happened in the middle of the time mp3s really took off, making it far more convenient to have a faster connection to get ahold of these. Thus, people upgraded to Broadband more out of necessity than anything else. Looking at HDTV, it just improves image quality a bit more. Personally, I couldn't see too much of a difference with the upgrade to DVD quality imaging, and even then the difference wasn't enough for me to go throw out my old VHS tapes or player in favor of replacing them with their DVD counterparts. And HDTV is supposed to improve upon image quality more... that's nice and all, but not something I really care for. If they came to be about the same price as normal TVs, then sure, there'd be no reason not to get them if not just for the sake of having them. But that doesn't look like it'll happen for a long time to come.

And as far as company values, look up the total company values for Sony and Nintendo in the Japanese Stock Exchange (name escapes me right now) and Microsoft.

This is what I gathered, although I'm not especially savvy with the corporate world, so it may not be entirely correct.

Total company values:
Nintendo: 10.21 Billion
Sony (American branch only): 36.37 Billion
Microsoft: 269 Billion

EDIT: Hmmm... on second thought, this post is probably better off in the Console Wars thread. I just wanted to address some of the things that were recently brought up in this thread... I'll leave it to the mods on whether to have this post moved or not.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ladies, Gentlemen, The Controller is finished. What does it look like? What does it have? I can tell you this.

Only Devs have touched it. And they aren't talking, the jerks....

In an interview with US magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly, Fils-Aime discussed the joypad, coming out with comments such as, 'just because you and your fans haven't seen the controller doesn't mean that no one else has,' the big tease.

Says Reggie, 'The thing that I always find surprising - and certainly in the last year I've had wonderful opportunities to spend quality time with a number of our key third-party publishers - is when you sit down and share the innovation with them, just how excited they get. I saw it firsthand with DS, and we're seeing it now with Revolution.'

And he went on to drop some hints as to the actual design of the controller. 'If you just think about it, we're going to have the ability through wireless internet to download all your great games from NES, SNES, N64. Think about it - each of those controllers are different. How are you gonna play?'

'That captured some of the imagination of what our controller needs to be able to do, and certainly as you get into the meat of that type of innovation with the developers, their eyes truly light up because they start to imagine what's possible with that kind of configuration, which is vastly different than a sheer horsepower kind of game.'

MY first thought was one controller made of NES, SNES and N64 all melded together....but that's stupid. Hopefully, we'll see it soon....

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
Says Reggie, 'The thing that I always find surprising - and certainly in the last year I've had wonderful opportunities to spend quality time with a number of our key third-party publishers - is when you sit down and share the innovation with them, just how excited they get. I saw it firsthand with DS, and we're seeing it now with Revolution.'
Not impressed yet.

Still trying to figure out how "morph-a-controller" works, too.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
They should have saved themselves the trouble and just used the GC controllers for all the old games, since up till now the controllers have just been updated by adding and moving buttons/ sticks. If you have the LOZ: Collectors edition you know that the GC controllers works fine for all three previous systems.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
duh, he's quoting an article.

KiKi, i should have specified, I believe that 10% was 10% of all Americans who own televisions. I could be wrong though.

If the controller design is finished I'm hoping they will use the next month or so to prepare a Space World exhibit.

solidsnake2234

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
Everything's a hell of a lot sharper-looking than the PS3 controller.

Then again, the PS3 controller has functionality, in addition to it's input. If you throw it in frustration, it comes back to you, instead of smashing into something and breaking.

(Hint for those not in-the-know, the PS3 controller looks like a boomerang ;).)
LOL what was sony thinking thats the only flaw for the ps3

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I don't think you should post in here if all you are going to do is double post and say "PS3 pwns you all!"

This is a discussion of the Revolution, not its competitors. Put that in the console debates. And if you do post that at least put why you think so.

BTW who the heck were you talking to when you said 'You are wrong'?

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
Omnigamer said:
If you've taken a little notice to anything that's happening now at all, they are being very proactive, but apparently just not in the aspects you're looking for. Nintendo wants to break away from how consoles today are simply being turned into media center devices first and game machines second. As far as DVD playback, it's still only an option, not something that's built into the system. This means that if you happen to not already own a device in your household that will play back DVDs (most people that I can think of have at least 2-4), you can purchase that small upgrade to have it. But if you do already have something that will play DVDs, it makes the system overall that much cheaper and allows for more/better electronics to be put in its place. And everybody seems to forget the iQue, the modified Gamecube with DVD capabilities that was sold in Japan for a while. IIRC, it was released only a few months after the original Gamecube, so to say that Nintendo hadn't actually tried that ability early on is false.

Moving on, whether or not the Revolution has HD compatibility or not will not be a factor at all for me, and certainly for many others as well. It may be "the next best thing" for TVs, but as long as the normal televisions sell for significantly less than HD, I can care less. That little bit sharper picture means very little to me when the difference of cost is still more than several hundred dollars. It was brought up that it could be a skyrocketing technology shortly, much like the upgrades to broadband connections have been these past years. I find this very unlikely because of the differences of use between the two. Broadband internet allowed users to download and upload larger packets of information faster, something that was necessary for anybody planning to download any sort of multimedia, product upgrades, programs, etc., which were quickly becoming vital to any sort of business. This also happened in the middle of the time mp3s really took off, making it far more convenient to have a faster connection to get ahold of these. Thus, people upgraded to Broadband more out of necessity than anything else. Looking at HDTV, it just improves image quality a bit more. Personally, I couldn't see too much of a difference with the upgrade to DVD quality imaging, and even then the difference wasn't enough for me to go throw out my old VHS tapes or player in favor of replacing them with their DVD counterparts. And HDTV is supposed to improve upon image quality more... that's nice and all, but not something I really care for. If they came to be about the same price as normal TVs, then sure, there'd be no reason not to get them if not just for the sake of having them. But that doesn't look like it'll happen for a long time to come.

And as far as company values, look up the total company values for Sony and Nintendo in the Japanese Stock Exchange (name escapes me right now) and Microsoft.

This is what I gathered, although I'm not especially savvy with the corporate world, so it may not be entirely correct.

Total company values:
Nintendo: 10.21 Billion
Sony (American branch only): 36.37 Billion
Microsoft: 269 Billion

EDIT: Hmmm... on second thought, this post is probably better off in the Console Wars thread. I just wanted to address some of the things that were recently brought up in this thread... I'll leave it to the mods on whether to have this post moved or not.
Yes, the big N is being alittle more proactive these days but clearly not enough. The point I was trying to make about the DVD add-on was that Nintendo always said that their console was going to be all about the games and it was the main reason GC didn't have DVD playback. My point was that if they were really only about the games they wouldn't even have made the DVD add-on in the first place. They were a generation behind for that as well as the cartride vs dvd format (and N was still half-a$$ed about that when they introduced the optical disc format for the GC. The compressions made visuals suffer), online and it looks like they're going to be half-a$$ed about HD too. And as far as the Q, it doesn't really count. Panasonic was mostly if not completly involved in the manufacture and marketing of the Q, not Nintendo. And if the Q was so great why wouldn't they ship it here to stateside?! The answer is because the Q tanked in Japan probably because the Japanese public saw it for the half-a$$ed product it was.

And as for HD....have you ever really seen a tv in HD? You wouldn't want to go back once you've seen or owned 1. I keep hearing about rising consumer cost here and skyrocketing dev cost there but I tell you what I think that could've been done in regards to this. First, I think that the spike in costs due to HD inclusion will be marginal at best. Second, you must understand that price isn't as important to a lot of people than maybe the image and capabilities of your console. You've seen this trend with GC and PS2, people are willing to fork over more cash when they think they are getting a valuable product. And HD is something that adds good value. Thirdly, Nintendo could've met the devs and consumers half-way on this issue by including HD in Rev but not REQUIRING the devs to have it in all their games like the other guys. That way the consumers and the devs can decide whether or not the extra costs of HD is enough. Lastly, I want you to understand that while now HD may not be wide-spread but that's changing even as we speak. Its a steedily growing minority that will soon replace SD in the coming years and the Big N needs to get behind that. I just don't want them to realize their mistake come next-next gen.
And 1 last note, are those Sony, MS, and Nintendo numbers before or after computing debt/asset ratios? Because I know for a fact that Sony has ALOT of debt.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I haven't played any Pokemon games since Gold & Silver, but since revolution is going to have online play they should definately make a MMORPG Pokemon game for it.

Stopsign

Smash Ace
freeman123 said:
I haven't played any Pokemon games since Gold & Silver, but since revolution is going to have online play they should definately make a MMORPG Pokemon game for it.
Where does this come into the conversation at hand. I don't think we have even talked about Pokemon in the last few pages. Even though I agree with you that they should make a Pokemon MMORPG.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
supersaiyanlink said:
Yes, the big N is being alittle more proactive these days but clearly not enough. The point I was trying to make about the DVD add-on was that Nintendo always said that their console was going to be all about the games and it was the main reason GC didn't have DVD playback. My point was that if they were really only about the games they wouldn't even have made the DVD add-on in the first place. They were a generation behind for that as well as the cartride vs dvd format (and N was still half-a$$ed about that when they introduced the optical disc format for the GC. The compressions made visuals suffer), online and it looks like they're going to be half-a$$ed about HD too. And as far as the Q, it doesn't really count. Panasonic was mostly if not completly involved in the manufacture and marketing of the Q, not Nintendo. And if the Q was so great why wouldn't they ship it here to stateside?! The answer is because the Q tanked in Japan probably because the Japanese public saw it for the half-a$$ed product it was.

And as for HD....have you ever really seen a tv in HD? You wouldn't want to go back once you've seen or owned 1. I keep hearing about rising consumer cost here and skyrocketing dev cost there but I tell you what I think that could've been done in regards to this. First, I think that the spike in costs due to HD inclusion will be marginal at best. Second, you must understand that price isn't as important to a lot of people than maybe the image and capabilities of your console. You've seen this trend with GC and PS2, people are willing to fork over more cash when they think they are getting a valuable product. And HD is something that adds good value. Thirdly, Nintendo could've met the devs and consumers half-way on this issue by including HD in Rev but not REQUIRING the devs to have it in all their games like the other guys. That way the consumers and the devs can decide whether or not the extra costs of HD is enough. Lastly, I want you to understand that while now HD may not be wide-spread but that's changing even as we speak. Its a steedily growing minority that will soon replace SD in the coming years and the Big N needs to get behind that. I just don't want them to realize their mistake come next-next gen.
And 1 last note, are those Sony, MS, and Nintendo numbers before or after computing debt/asset ratios? Because I know for a fact that Sony has ALOT of debt.
I saw your point clearly about the ability for DVD playback. But my counter-point is also still valid. At base, it's a gaming system through and through. But you can make it that little bit more only if you want to. It's still all about the games, just with a peripheral that can allow it to use its technology slightly differently. You're forcing that one statement to be too extreme.

And my point for the iQue was simply that it was tried, not that it was successful. But your argument for that helps to improve my previous argument. The iQue did indeed recieve unsatisfactory sales, but not because it was by any means a crappy product. It showed that people just wanted the Cube for games, not as a multiple media device. It just wasn't something that everybody needed.

HD I still think is no big loss. The standard today is still fine for myself and the majority of people, and as I said before, unless HD really drops in price in the next year or two, I can't foresee any reason why we'd throw out the standard televisions we already have to get HD. What use would it be to make something HD-available if it's only applicable to a very small portion of the population, but comes at a heftier price to make it so? Even with it as an option only, it makes much more business sense to leave it out of a prospective game at the risk of denying a very small portion of the market slightly cleaner visuals for a lower production cost. Then, having the option for HD in the first place would quickly become useless.

The numbers I posted were after all debts and other assets are factored in.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Omnigamer said:
HD I still think is no big loss. The standard today is still fine for myself and the majority of people, and as I said before, unless HD really drops in price in the next year or two, I can't foresee any reason why we'd throw out the standard televisions we already have to get HD. What use would it be to make something HD-available if it's only applicable to a very small portion of the population, but comes at a heftier price to make it so? Even with it as an option only, it makes much more business sense to leave it out of a prospective game at the risk of denying a very small portion of the market slightly cleaner visuals for a lower production cost. Then, having the option for HD in the first place would quickly become useless.
That's the point. HDTVs are cheap(er), and they are going to drop in price. By the end of the next generation the HD-ready market will be much larger. Not to mention anyone who's buying a TV now will have a bit of a challenge trying to get a non-HD set, since usually people don't buy (and thus stores don't carry) products already planned for obsolescence.

I don't care if developers don't have to support it, but surely some will (especially those going for multiconsole launches) and if Revolution doesn't there's no gain to be made. Hell, PS3 is going to support HD standards that you can't even see on a set on the market right now. Nintendo's not looking into the future at all on this move, and if they hold their ground it's going to be their loss.

BEAM swordzman

Smash Journeyman
Even if Revolution went HDTV, wouldn't that jack up development prices ( which nintendo is trying to avoid) and cause an increase in cost? Because it's hard enough to cough up $50 bucks for a new game.

Top Bottom