• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

saud

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I remember Mr.Iwata saying the words "50 memory cards" unfortunately the video was buffering seconds before he said that, so aI don't know what did he mean by 50 memory cards. But I think that's maybe the hard drive of Revolution, since he said that a while after saying you can download games from 20 years ago.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo announcing Super Smash Bros 3 as a launch title for Revolution pretty much made my day today.

However, we are missing out on some things, for example the Revolution controller has yet to be reveiled. Many DS games are yet to be reveiled as well, but most of all....

Where is Super Mario 128?

You aren't gonna tell me that Miyamoto dares to do the same trick he did last year, promising to show Super Mario 128 to the world(which he didn't). It just has to be reveiled soon, we've been waiting for this game a long time already.

So far it's been great Nintendo-wise, but I expect a little more suprises coming from them soon.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
No, what we are missing is that entire revolutionary thing. You know, the entire point of the codename and system?

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
If the system is so out there in terms of control that games from XBOX360 and PS3 can't be ported over to it, Nintendo has to be on crack to assume they'll get 3rd party support. And 3rd party support is everything.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Revolution will be the console to get in 2006, and this is why.

1. First off, Nintendo has learned from it's mistakes, including...

-DVD discs are good, playing DVD's are better.
-Online should be encoraged and really easy to set up.
-Backwards combatibility is a necesity, but downloading Nes, Snes, and N64 games is extra credit.
-Built in memory storage (looks like you can learn from Microsoft after all).
-Remember when everyone told Nintendo Zelda would look so much better realistic? Someone listened.

2. Nintendo's new console looks downright gorgeous (and compact to boot).

3. Don't worry about not seeing the controller, the extended wait must mean that Nintendo wants to keep it as a surprise. Why would they do that? Maybe it's just that good.

4. Ign.com featured an article with Reggie saying that when you see Revolution's graphics you will go "wow." Kick a** indeed...

Most companies would simply shrug off their mistakes and continue making horrible products out of stuborness. Nintendo seems to be doing the opposite (at last). If you look at the latest EGM, Reggie clearly states that not going online was a bad idea, and now, their trying to fix that. I admire Nintendo for taking the time to listen to what the fans want instead of what they think is the best intress.

Nintendo appears to be turning over a new leaf. If they keep this pace up, Sony and Microsoft better watch their backs. Or else, they may find a wolf-sized bite in their a**

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thoughts on the conference:

Nintendo DS - looks to improve this year compared to the lackluster showing it's had since launch. Nintendo can tout numbers all they want about the DS vs. PSP but they seem to pass over the fact that North America, the largest gaming market, saw the DS release months earlier than the PSP (and right around the holiday season to boot).

Game-wise the only thing I'm really excited about is Mario Kart. Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime: Hunters are cool, too. The free Wi-Fi connection, though, is awesome. Good job there Nintendo.

Oh, and Nintendogs is about the stupidest game I've ever seen/heard of. So what, you can teach your dog to recognize voice commands. Big deal. What if you're in a place (keep in mind it's on a portable system) where you can't really talk, or would be embarrased to? I can see it now. Sitting on an airplane or or at some crowded event. "Sit boy! Sit! Sit! Boy... sit, boy! Gooooood boy! Goooood boy!!!" And the virtual dog stuff (petting, feeding, giving baths) can be done in online flash games, and I remember a cats/dogs type thing that was popular on the PC years ago. So what if it sold very well in Japan. That's a whole different market.

GBA Micro - Another GBA?

Nintendo Revolution

Pros

+ It's Nintendo
+ Sleek look and size
+ Wi-fi play out of the box
+ Smash Bros. at launch
+ access to Nintendo library
+ backwards compatibility

In-betweens

- It's Nintendo
- DVD capability. It's nice that Nintendo is moving up, but everyone has DVD players now. That was the thing last generation, as Craftstar said.

Cons

- It's Nintendo
- 2-3 times more powerful? Try 15 or 30, Nintendo. And if that Metroid footage they showed was of the Revolution, it certainly didn't look it (aside from the cool lightning effects in the background that seemed better than what GameCube could produce).
- No controller = wtf? The other console designs are already out there. What's Nintendo afraid of?
- No specs = doesn't want to turn gamers off by revealing specs that are far inferior to Xbox 360 and PS3
- No "revolutionary aspect" revealed yet

GameCube

So Mario's getting milked to death, with sports games, and... another Mario Party game (COME ON!), "Batallion Wars" looks like a game that ranges in the 7.0 scales in the ratings, Geist still looks terrible, and Fire Emblem will cater to a niche audience.

But Zelda makes it all better.

Except... Twilight Princess....?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Overall: ****ty conference.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Four Mario games = give a rest Nintendo.

- No specs = doesn't want to turn gamers off by revealing specs that are far inferior to Xbox 360 and PS3
I'm wondering if Nintendo saw the amazing machines from Microsoft and Sony and decided to stay secretive at the last minute while they scramble to beef up their system.

saud

Smash Lord
Originally posted by demoncaterpie
-Backwards combatibility is a necesity, but downloading Nes, Snes, and N64 games is extra credit.
Don't forget you can also download Gamecube games. Also, it makes me wonder since you can play Gamecube cd's on it, and you can also downlload them, will the games you download be for free or not?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by Cashed

Neat. GCN ports.
YAAAAAAAAY!!!

Now I don't need to worry about the crapness of the controller...I wonder if it will work on Revolution games as well...I'm so getting this when it comes out, simply for the complete backwards compatiblility...

...and maybe the reason Nintendo isn't revealing any more details (ie. the controller) because they haven't finished making it...I mean sure XBox 360 and PS3 aren't completely finished either, but they said that the Revolution they had at the press conference was just a prototype, and the real one would be even smaller than that...so maybe the controller just hasn't been finished yet...

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
Backwards compatibility is neat, but having a set of ports for gamecube and memory card slots, real neat. You'll have the next smash brothers to play on release as well as being able to play the current.

Does this mean that when the revolution releases, that you should just sell the console itself and keep the controllers or maybe keep it as an antique item?

Even though it is a prototype, it will probably look similar in the end.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Well, the Rev certainly hasn't had the negative feedback the DS had last E3. Remember how ugly it was back then? :p

I have to agree with Giygas though. Nintendo isn't having a great time so far. What about Super Mario 128 that we were suppose to see LAST YEAR?

only1Z

Smash Champion
Space world, I think that's its name, is supposedly going to be their bigger showing, since it's closer to the end of the year. This is only speculation going around my circle of friends though >_>

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Ouch, Nintendo.

My outlook on the next-next-gen (that's what I'm calling it, and I'm sticking to it) is that things are officially going beyond gaming. People don't want to have a little machine that does nothing but play games; they want it to play music, and DVDs, and house their entire media collection. That's what Microsoft and Sony are capturing with their next consoles, and both of them can pull it off. Microsoft's pushing everything toward their Media Centers, Xbox is an extension of that; moreover, it was designed to be an extension of that from the first Xbox. Sony's a multimedia powerhouse as it is, they'll have no problem expanding.

But Nintendo? Still stuck in the past. (Unlike the rest of you, I won't bash it for finally including support for DVDs, because late beats never and they'd be beyond screwed without it at this point.) Microsoft and Sony are changing the game, and it's not just a game anymore.

That said, I'll end up with Revolution anyway because I don't play enough videogames to care about 360 or PS3, and the nostalgia they promise is tempting. Though I don't know how they'd manage free downloads; licensing fees, bandwidth (so NES games will be meager, GCN games will not). Good luck to 'em though.

By the way, are those memory ports in the controller port picture supposed to be regular GCN memory slots? I know Revolution's supposed to support SD cards, but SD cards are way smaller than that....

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Nintendo's press conference sucking is rumored to be one giant conspiracy launched by the big N themselves.

They keep putting pieces of puzzles into websites and the videos themselves. Remember that fake Nintendo ON crap last week? Rumor has it Nintendo dropped that video as a hint. Searching Nintendo on at IGN makes you uncover "Nintendo Puzzle Collection..." WTF.

I'm not sure if Ninty's just playing headgames or if they're really going to try and shock us tomorrow. Only time will tell.

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
Well, NintendoNow is saying that the insider from the Broken Saints website may actually be a real insider (against what IGN says). That person said that Nintendo will do something tomarrow, the 19th.
Then again, NintendoNow seems to be the conspiracy theorists of E3 coverage.

With their Revolution showing, I tend to agree with Giygas, except one point:
- 2-3 times more powerful? Try 15 or 30, Nintendo. And if that Metroid footage they showed was of the Revolution, it certainly didn't look it (aside from the cool lightning effects in the background that seemed better than what GameCube could produce).
This point I give a thumbs down to Sony & Microsoft then Nintendo. Sony/Microsoft are likely being just as manipulative as Bush is with these figures, while Nintendo being more modest. I personally tend to like more modesty then dishonesty.

I'm glad they put GCN ports, since otherwise would make Donkey Konga fairly hard to play.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Craftstar
GCN games aren't downloadable. Only NES, SNES, and N64 I believe.
Nope, they mentioned downloading Mario Sunshine.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by EvilEvincar
Well, NintendoNow is saying that the insider from the Broken Saints website may actually be a real insider (against what IGN says). That person said that Nintendo will do something tomarrow, the 19th.
Then again, NintendoNow seems to be the conspiracy theorists of E3 coverage.

With their Revolution showing, I tend to agree with Giygas, except one point: This point I give a thumbs down to Sony & Microsoft then Nintendo. Sony/Microsoft are likely being just as manipulative as Bush is with these figures, while Nintendo being more modest. I personally tend to like more modesty then dishonesty.

I'm glad they put GCN ports, since otherwise would make Donkey Konga fairly hard to play.
I agree with you on this. This is one of the biggest reasons why I prefer Nintendo as a company over Sony and Microsoft. They talk like business men, Nintendo seems more familiar, like comparing a business man to your next door neighbor.

I'm not saying Nintendo's completely honest (in this day and age, nobody is), but at least they got it where it counts.

Note: For those who think Nintendo's cowering in fear like a dog with its tail between its legs, their's always the other option.

If Nintendo was afraid of the graphics, features, etc. of Sony and Microsoft, they would have revealed much more then they did in order to compete against their buzz. But no, Nintendo's still keeping the most important details (gameplay and controller) a complete secret. This could be because maybe, for the first time since I can't remember when, Nintendo has the upper hand. As I have said before Reggie Fils (who I think is one of the more respectable people in his field and gaming in general) said that once you see the Revolution's graphics, you will go wow. This is the same guy who admits not having online for Gamecube was a mistake.

You can still believe Nintendo is afraid, but it's also important to consider the other possibility. And don't think it's impossible, Nintendo has already proved they gave up their isolationism. At this rate, I think anythings possible.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Originally posted by demoncaterpie
As I have said before Reggie Fils (who I think is one of the more respectable people in his field and gaming in general) said that once you see the Revolution's graphics, you will go wow.
Actually, it was Iwata that gave that comment, not Fils-Aime. That's the second or third time I've seen someone misquote it... Unless there's some other article that everybody's keeping secret from me >_>

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There are a few blogs on the internet at the moment, that suggest Nintendo definitely have something big up their sleeves for E3 Day 2. Over at GameSpot, they've listed tomorrow's video lineup and include one entry called "A Man Called Reggie".

One blog, by an apparent Nintendo Co. Ltd. employee, Osoko Tanaka, says that we must all be patient and that Nintendo will be showing something on the 19th. His latest addition includes the following information:

I'm sure you'll say the same...tomorrow.
"touch is good, but feel is better" is a memorable quote which can describe RS.
Nintendo hasn't shown the full Revolution. You don't see anything yet. You can't feel disappointed.
You don't have a reason to be worried.
... ...

Let's go.
I wanna see you guy how you'll be impressed, when someone(...) does a great Revolution's demostration on this E3. (Who said Hallo Killer?)
Tomorrow...Tomorrow..the big N will return.

You know where is the Revolution (and not what is the Revolution). it is on the controller pad.
You also know Satoru Iwata doesn't say Revolution will play DVD. He says "12 CMS DISCS" (...)
You also Know Nintendo has always been coming out a different format.

This Generation, belongs to Nintendo...

So. Be patient. Tommorrow, Tommorrow...you'll see the Revolution.
You should trust on Nintendo. Give to Nintendo your patience.

See you guys...see you

Here's hoping.....

EDIT: But wait, there's more!

These are snippets from Nintendo's official Rev site.

Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self- contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

"With backward compatibility and the 'virtual console' concept, the stylish, compact body provides maximum gaming power.

The REVOLUTION is the development code name,
It is not long title

And for those who haven't seen it, diferent colours.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Well... It's about 11:30 AM over there right now, hopefully something comes up soon...

All this talk of revealing something else, true or not, has got me excited for the rest of the Expo.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shiggy Interview

Yay, an interveiw with shiggy and it has some interesting new info.

---
IGNcube: Were you happy with your E3 2005 showing?

Shigeru Miyamoto: At our presentation this year I think we were able to show a lot of content, so that was good. Right now in Japan we are engaged in a lot of DS challenges, trying to do a lot of things with that, and I think we were able to show you what we've been doing with the DS.

IGNcube: Are there any particular games for DS that you're particularly proud of now, and what about future DS software?

Shigeru Miyamoto: We're showing on the show floor three games that we're really excited about. Super Mario Bros, which allows for two-player side-scrolling at the same time on different systems. With Animal Crossing on the DS you have that wireless function with four people playing at the same time. And Mario Kart DS, of course, you have eight people racing at the same time and on the Internet you have four-person multiplayer. These are games that are really utilizing good DS functionality. And there's one other game that I'd like to talk about.

[Opens DS system and displays new game in which players are asked text trivia questions and are required to handwrite the answers.]

This is something that we think will appeal to players of all ages - something that you pick up right away and is easy to get into. It might not qualify as a game per se. (Oh, and another game that fits this criteria is Nintendogs, which we showed you yesterday.) We're looking at creating more of this software in Japan and what I've got here and am showing you now is one that's sort of a brain-teaser or brain exercise software.

We use the touch screen to write out answers to problems that the game poses to you and we use the voice recognition software to verbally answer questions or to record sounds. Other products coming out in Japan for DS include a Japanese-to-English and English-to-Japanese dictionary, which is coming out soon. It runs simultaneously with the Pictochat function so that if I've got my dictionary with me I can cut and paste verbatim whatever it translates and then send it to someone else via Pictochat. Also, in Japan there are a lot of entry examinations for different schools at the elementary level. We have a piece of software based on those tests and you can have eight players at the same time trying to answer all of the questions, which is pretty funny. So these things all represent other possibilities of grabbing people who play games, but also those that don't. I don't think anyone who plays these needs to be a gamer per se but they will still enjoy this type of software.

As far as the Revolution is concerned, development is going really well. But at the same time, this is a trade show and we want to concentrate on our business for this year. So rather than rush out in a panic and try to get a bunch of information out to people, we want to give out some of the general concepts and we're going to save everything else for when we're all set. Next year, when it's the year of the Revolution, we'll bring out everything from under the wrapping paper.

IGNcube: Speaking about Revolution, we have many questions. At a trade show like E3, it seems that perception is so important. You say that it's not the time to reveal Revolution in full. But with major showings from Microsoft's and Sony's next-generation consoles, do you feel that it hurts Nintendo to remain quiet? That people may incorrectly assume that Nintendo is quiet because it isn't prepared to compete with or lags behind its competition?

Shigeru Miyamoto: You know, I didn't get a chance to see the Sony and Microsoft presentations for myself, but from what I've heard from people it sounds like they are going to be using cutting-edge technology, as are we. However, the way that they are planning on implementing that technology is obviously very different from the route that we're going to be taking. On the business side of things I see where we're going and I see where they're going and I'm not worried at all. I don't think it's going to influence us at all. We're good to go.

IGNcube: We don't have any "tech specs" for Revolution. We don't have an educated idea or an estimate of how powerful the machine will be. Can you shed some light?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Let me pose a question to you. When we launched the Nintendo DS, we didn't really say too much about its power. Do you think we've suffered?

IGNcube: No. Definitely not.

Shigeru Miyamoto: We're kind of in a strange period where power is the crux of whether or not something is going to be successful. So again, that seems a little bit odd. If we rely solely on power of console to dictate to where we're going with games, I think that tends to suppress the creativity of designers. They tend to rely solely on what the technology allows them to do instead of thinking of new and creative ideas.

The way we are approaching the development of Revolution is we pose the questions to ourselves: why is the home console necessary? What functions in a home console would make everyone in the family say, "Yeah, we need that and want that." We pose those questions and the answers to those questions are what's guiding our development.

IGNcube: Can you give us an update on Mario 128?

Shigeru Miyamoto: [Chuckles] I'm just really sorry. I think I've given people the wrong impression with Mario 128. With all the questions I'm getting about this, I really feel like I've done people a disservice. In regards to Mario 128, we're currently doing a lot of Mario experiments back in Kyoto. We are definitely going to have a new Mario for Revolution. Whether or not that's 128 or not, I can't really say. It might be a new Sunshine. We're not sure. We're doing a lot of Mario tests right now for the Revolution.

IGNcube: Is Super Smash Bros. for Revolution deep in development or has work just started on the project?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, the original Smash Bros. was developed when Mr. Iwata was over at HAL and I was a designer here at Nintendo. Now, of course, Mr. Iwata is the president of Nintendo. I really don't have much to do with Super Smash Bros. It's pretty much him.

IGNcube: You are a producer on Metroid Prime 3 for Revolution. Can you tell us about the game?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I've been working on the Metroid series with Mr. Tanabe. He's pretty much in charge of where that's going right now. I've been really trying to focus more on the Zelda, Mario and new DS titles, and I'm not really in a position to talk about them right now.

IGNcube: Speaking of Zelda, does the game story parallel that of the movie Ladyhawke?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Our game should not paralleling that movie very closely, no. That's not our intention. In regard to the animals in the game, it's an RPG and the more of those natural elements, this case represented by the wolf and the hawk, really just expand the realm of the RPG and give us room to grow in fill into. We thought that by adding these animals it would help us create a larger and more realistic world.

IGNcube: Do we have to wait until E3 2006 for more Revolution info, or do you have a new Space World coming later this year?

Shigeru Miyamoto: That hasn't been determined. We haven't decided yet. I'm sure that there will be information that we'll get out somewhere, somehow, through developers or something. I'm sure there will be some leaks. But next year at E3, everything will be public as far as Revolution is concerned. It will all be out there, which should tell you that we're well into it. It's not that we don't have anything. So next year you'll get it all.

IGNcube: Have Revolution development kits gone out yet?

Shigeru Miyamoto: We have not sent out development kits to developers yet. However, development kits for the Nintendo Revolution are very similar to the ones for the GameCube. So we feel that the environments are so similar that they will be able to start development very quickly upon receiving the development kits for Revolution.

IGNcube: Can you tell us when you'll send out Revolution development kits?

Shigeru Miyamoto: As far as when we're going to be sending out development kits, we don't have set schedule at this point. But I think that if you look at it, the "development kits" that a lot of other companies are sending out, are those really the ones with the latest chips? Are those the ones that have all the latest technology? It's hard to say. I don't think we're going to be that much different from other companies when they are sending out their actual finished development kits. I think we'll be able to send the development kits in a timeframe that pleases the developers. It's going to be in a time when it fits their development schedules well.

IGNcube: We're all assuming that the revolutionary aspect of Revolution is the controller. Do you know what the Revolution is yet or are you still trying to figure that out?

Shigeru Miyamoto: [Laughs] You're doubting me, aren't you? I can see that you're over there mistrusting my word. I understand. [Laughs]

Of course. It's set in stone. It has been determined. I'd love to show it to you. I'd love to be able to show you the features of the Revolution controller and tell you about them. However, unfortunately if we do that too early those ideas would be stolen. We know that from past history. Analog stick. Boom - gone. Rumble Pak. We bring it out and everybody has to have rumble. We got the wireless out first and now there's wireless everywhere. So we have to keep it under wraps.

IGNcube: Coming back to power. We apologize, but if we don't get some answers our readers are going to go insane. What are the tech specs for Revolution? Or, to put it another way, is Revolution as powerful as Xbox 360?

Shigeru Miyamoto: You know, in regard to the power of the Nintendo Revolution versus, say, the Xbox 360, we're looking at making a small, quiet, affordable console. If you look at trying to incorporate all that, of course we might not have the horsepower that some other companies have, but if you look at the numbers that they're throwing out, are those numbers going to be used in-game? I mean, those are just numbers that somebody just crunched up on a calculator. We could throw out a bunch of numbers, too, but what we're going to do is wait until our chips are done and we're going to find out how everything in the game is running, what its peak performance is, and those are the numbers that we're going to release because those are the numbers that really count.

I do think it's very irresponsible for people to say, "This is what we're running out. This is the power of our machine," when they're not even running on final boards. I think the professional's job is to not believe those numbers.

IGNcube: Will you make Kid Icarus for Revolution?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, I'm actually working really closely right now with the director of the [original] game. Now, whether or not when we get the Revolution all set up and everything is finalized, well who knows? That might be one of those characters where everybody says, "Hey, with the way our console is designed, that would be a perfect match." My question to you is, if we made this game would you buy it?

IGNcube: Absolutely.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, we obviously can't ignore that. Okay, we'll get the Eggplant Wizard coming back.

IGNcube: Can you talk about Revolution's download service? What games will we be able to download?

Shigeru Miyamoto: We have not set a price or determined a list of software for the Nintendo Revolution download service. But, we're looking at this as a consumer service and not so much from the business end. What we want to do is provide the product that is going to make the Revolution the console that people want in their homes. So it actually might be driven from the consumer end rather than from us. You know, the games that they most want might be the ones that we do. From a technological point, we can do any of them. It's just, we haven't determined which ones we'll do yet.

IGNcube: Can we expect Nintendo to collaborate with more third parties on Revolution games?

Shigeru Miyamoto: At this point, we've only been talking with a few companies. However, if other companies come forward and they want to join us to work with us to create games, of course that would be great for us. One thing we want to make sure that we don't do is have too many games of the same type or genre. We don't want too many games involving the same themes or characters.

IGNcube: Will Revolution appeal to the mainstream gamer over the hardcore one?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Our goal with Revolution is to appeal to all gamers -- the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer. On top of that, we really want to get non-gamers involved as well. So it's a console that we want people to feel comfortable with and happy that they have in their home. So for example, you might bring you DS home, turn it on, sit down next to the Revolution and there is some connectivity that allows you to play something that's better than it was with separate components. Our goal really is to build a system that appeals to everybody.

IGNcube: Have you seen or played any non-Nintendo games at this year's E3 that have impressed you?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I haven't seen any other software yet. I haven't left this room [laughs]. As far as the other company's software, I've heard that Sony brought out a whole bunch of stuff that looked really pretty, but I haven't heard that any of it is playable. So let me ask you something: have you seen anything on the show floor that's really pretty and playable?

IGNcube: Yes. The game that first comes to mind is Okami from Capcom. It's amazing.

Shigeru Miyamoto: What is that on?

IGNcube: PlayStation 2.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Anything for PlayStation 3, that was playable?

IGNcube: Nothing playable. Unfortunately, some of the PS3 demos were rendered. But there's no doubt it's going to be a beast of a machine. You don't have to speak specifically on the title or titles, but is there a game for Revolution that validates to you the path you seem to be taking with the console?

Shigeru Miyamoto: In the development of the Revolution, I can't really elaborate on anything that explains why this is the specific path for us. We know this is the path for us. I just can't give you specific details that maybe reaffirms for you that we feel comfortable. What thing I can say is that Sony and Microsoft are going down the same road. They have chosen their path and they're sticking to it. They're going down that road together. We have chosen the road less traveled and we're happy with that. We do think that is a good thing.

IGNcube: Do you think Revolution will alienate gamers?

Shigeru Miyamoto: No, I don't think we're going to alienate gamers at all. I think if you look at the stuff we have on Nintendo DS, which is really different from anything else out there, people are playing that and really enjoying it. There is going to be software for Revolution that you will not be able to play or experience anywhere else, on any other console, and I think people will find it enjoyable.
---

Waait wait wait. If they haven't even sent out devkits yet (wtf?), how can square be making FF:CC for Revolution? Which they officially announced in the conference?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Waait wait wait. If they haven't even sent out devkits yet (wtf?), how can square be making FF:CC for Revolution? Which they officially announced in the conference?
*Shrug*

They don't really need a devkit to come up with the main story and concept art.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
IGNcube: Can we expect Nintendo to collaborate with more third parties on Revolution games?

Shigeru Miyamoto: At this point, we've only been talking with a few companies. However, if other companies come forward and they want to join us to work with us to create games, of course that would be great for us. One thing we want to make sure that we don't do is have too many games of the same type or genre. We don't want too many games involving the same themes or characters.
Augh! *Drops to the floor in fetal position*

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Er, wait. I thought that meant that they were colaborating in the way Nintendo did with Namco for Star Fox Assault. Where another company takes up a Nintendo-owned franchise. If they mean third party games in general... well, ****.

IGN also got some hands-on time with the Revolution... console. ;o;

---
Some people can take part in a revolution, but how many can say that they actually touched one? We're feeling pretty lucky this afternoon as we write these impressions, for just an hour ago Nintendo of America granted us access to its Revolution. Following an interview with the company's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, we were ushered into a small room located in the closed-off upstairs section of its E3 booth. Hidden away in a room guarded by two muscle-bound security guards - we kid you not - were multiple powered-on demo units of Revolution, which Nintendo allowed us to touch, and yes, even caress. Based on our hands-on encounter with the machine, we can safely say that Revolution looks every bit as sleek and modern up-close as it does in photos.

A grand total of six Revolution consoles were on display in the top-secret room. On one side, Nintendo spotlighted the platform in five different consoles, including green, silver, white, black and red. Meanwhile, in the middle of the room an additional black system was displayed on a well-lit podium, and it was this unit that we had the opportunity to pick up and examine.
On-hand representatives for Nintendo explained that the company is still determining possible colors for Revolution and that the hues of the units on display were by no means final. Still, finished or not, the color choices are already far superior to the toy-purple that the publisher chose to run with for GameCube. We were particularly drawn to the glossy black and white Revolution units. The white Revolution looks like an Apple product, which is just about the highest compliment we can pay an industrial design.

A lot of gamers complained that the GameCube felt cheap, due to the toy-like nature of the unit's shell. Nintendo has definitely addressed this criticism with Revolution. The console is encased in a high-tech, shiny, reflective shell that's both heavier and sturdier than the plastic used for GameCube. The black console in particular reminds us exactly of the skin for the PlayStation Portable (PSP) from Sony. In fact, we noticed that after we handled the unit for some time, our thumbprints were clearly recognizable on its surface, which is a common problem with Sony's handheld, too. However, given that the machine isn't a handheld, this isn't a factor. On a side note, many of Sony's high-end televisions are encased in the same glass-like plastic, which means that the Revolution will match perfectly with gamers' high-end home entertainment centers.

The Revolution rests snugly in an included silver-white base. It can be set horizontally on a flat surface or laid vertically on its side. The system is tiny -- much smaller than PlayStation 2, Xbox or even GameCube. It also weighs less than any of the aforementioned systems and Nintendo says it's only going to get smaller and lighter with the finalized design.

Depending on whether the Revolution is situated horizontally or vertically, its GameCube docking section is located beneath a flap on the right side or top of the unit respectively. The flap is easily raised to reveal four GameCube controller ports and two GameCube Memory Pak slots. This area is of course dedicated to the idea of backward compatibility. Revolution's new controller is likely to be dramatically different from anything we've seen before, and therefore Nintendo needed to include ports for the old pads so that new buyers could continue to enjoy old GameCube software.

Software designed specifically for Revolution will make use of its wireless controllers and therefore there are no other ports for such devices on the machine.

The Revolution's slot-loading drive is unbelievably gorgeous when viewed up close. It really is striking. The drive is not just illuminated, but surrounded by a sleek blue light, and it accepts both GameCube Optical Discs and new 12cm discs designed specifically for Revolution. The interesting bit is that the drive easily takes both sizes without any fuss. Gamers just drop any GCN or Revolution title in and it automatically works. Nintendo indicated that the drive is one of the first to intuitively do that. Power, reset and eject buttons are located on the front panel of the unit. Meanwhile, a flap on the front of the machine hides the slots for the 512MB memory cards that Revolution utilizes for downloads and game saves.

What about the back of the unit, though? Tech-nuts want to know, what kind of outputs does the machine have? Well, there are two USB ports and a power connection. The machine features no digital audio out. Instead, it boasts a single proprietary output for video and audio. The output looks exactly like the component out on GameCube. We asked Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto if Revolution would play high-definition games and he told us that he wasn't sure if he was allowed to say yet. Still, we expect a bare minimum of 480p support and likely 720p or 1080i, too, given that previous comments from Nintendo execs suggested that the platform would be able to hook up to a computer monitor.

There's also a port that beams 3D images directly onto the viewer's retinas. Revolution!

Just kidding, but that would be cool.

Still, 3D holographs or not, this is Nintendo's best-looking system to date and unlike GameCube, whose toy-like exterior seemed out of place in the living room, the Revolution will be right at home next to any type of high-end electronics.

---

I hate IGN.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well the "big day 2" didn't happen. Too bad, I really had my hopes up (not).

But now we have day 3! And when that's over and nothing happens, we can all leave E3 disappointed.

Good show, Nintendo. Good show.

Oh, and I think I figured out what Nintendo meant you would say "wow" when you saw the graphics: you will say "wow these graphics suck compared to the others!"

Hehe (and that Metroid footage playing in the conference for about 5-10 seconds is confirmed to be displayed by Revolution hardware. Tell me if that makes you say "wow" cause it sure won't.)

(yeah I'm being really cynical about Nintendo right now)

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Meh, I'll just wait for time to start leaking things out. I don't mind too much that Nintendo hasn't released too much on the Revolution yet, just so long as some more comes withing the next few months. The hardware specs and controller would have been nice, just to be able to compare it with the other systems, but it's not something that I need to put my faith behind the system.

Regardless of how things turn out for the system in the end, the announcement of SSB3 gauranteed my getting it.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
That's quite a waste if you're getting the Revolution just for SSBM 3....and people complained when people got Xbox just for Halo.

Anyways, I'm not sold yet. I think Nintendo is waiting too late to show off what Revolution can do. Microsoft and Sony are already drawing people in by showing the potential of their consoles, yet no one knows what Nintendo can do. At this point, Nintendo is dead last in what system I'm looking foward to..and whatever promises it has made have fallen on deaf ears.

I suggest they release some tech. demos or something and try to get people's interest...

BA out..

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So far Nintendo has me interested with downloadable classics and Smash Bros. online. I'm not hooked though.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
So far the only thing that Nintendo got me to buy was the micro. I'm a ***** for handhelds, especially if it says Nintendo. I couldn't care less what anyone in this forum says that it's a waste but I have the money and I know it possibly can't be more than 80 bucks, due to the smaller screen.

Rev though, meh. He pulled a box, no controllers, announced Prime 3 and SSB 3. Will I be getting it, yeah, do I really care, not really :(

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought that I should also point this out; although it does not relate to the Revolution it does concern the press conference which we are discussing:

The Elektroplankton demo:

1. It was performed by a master DJ who was superior in his field. The odds of the "average" person doing anything even close to that is very slim.

2. The bass was cranked. It was wayyyy too heavy for a DS game.

3. He was using two seperate DS units to do it. So you can create music like that but only if you have two systems?

I actually think free online Smash Bros (if it is better than Melee) would be worthy of the system, because I could get rid of my gamecube and use the Rev for backwards compatibility - plus all the old systems. I have close to 150 hours of play time on Smash Bros. Melee and I got the gamecube for that game. So yeah.

Sengin

Smash Ace
While nobody seems to admit it, Nintendo has attracted a lot of attention (granted, most isn't positive attention, but it's attention anyway). Think about it, anything that is shrouded in mystery (like the Revolution), tends to garner a lot of attention. And boy, is the Revolution shrouded in mystery. We don't know anything about the controllers, we don't know the specs, we don't know much. But has that stopped us from having an interest into this "Revolution?" Surely not.

While people are angry and disappointed with Nintedo for not saying anything, the fact that the system is shrouded in mystery has attracted lots of attention. Though whether that attention is better or worse than the attention if would have attracted if it had shown something, is unknown.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
"What the **** are you thinking not revealing your stuff?!" attention is what they're getting though. Analysts are saying the 360 took the show at E3, because unlike Sony (who only had tech-demos of what the PS3 may be possible of one day), they had games you could play and Microsoft told the most about their new console. Revealing stuff is good, not revealing stuff when your competitors have their minds made up with what they're doing and you're still too scared to show what you're doing isn't.

Giygas, I agree with you on the "Wow" statement. ;)

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
After coming back from E3, I was a little dissapointed about not seeing the Revolution (and no, I don't have amnesia, I remember what I said), but I'm still holding out until I see the graphics and controller. Only then will I decide if it's good or not. I felt really weird siting in the PS3 presentation room seeing all the Sony fanatics freaking out when all I could do was think "Please Nintendo, make your graphics as good as this." The Metroid Prime 3 graphics were pre-rendered from Gamecube, so it's not an accurate model.

Mr. Mario's interview broke my heart. I really hope he's lying (which he has a tendency to do) because Nintendo is in a really bad position if it's true. Although, it would make sense if he's lying. How could Square be making a game without some information about the hardware? I have a feeling that their are more developers then Nintendo is letting on, but they've most likely taken a vow of silence on the matter.

The only way Nintendo can hope to compete with the other consoles now is to show outstanding graphics for the Revolution. Otherwise, they'll be in a horrible position. Although, I keep hearing this talk about how the graphics are going to be utilized in some way that has never been done before, or something like that. That at least sounds exciting.

All in all, even though E3 was a bit dissapointing, I think Nintendo still has a chance. They just got to keep making more announcements like DVD capabilities and built-in memory and wireless internet and they should be fine. As long as Mr. Mario's being the tricky snake he always is, Nintendo fans should have nothing to worry about.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but I found some information that all Nintendo fans should be happy to hear (if you take it in the right way, of course).

The following is the last paragraph of an article on Ign.com. The article was about an interview with Satoru Iwata to the Seattle Post Intelligence. I didn't bother posting the whole article, becuase the last paragraph is the most important...

In the past, Nintendo claimed that it would release at the same time or before PlayStation 3. More recently, company executives from Nintendo of America stated that Revolution would simply debut in 2006, no longer pledging to beat Sony. Iwata reiterated those sentiments. "If the first entrant always wins the market, the Dreamcast must have won the race against the PS2, for example. There are many precedents like that in the past. The first to market is not necessarily the winner in the race," he said. "But we cannot afford to be too late. That's a very important point. Right now we are keeping many secrets, but by the end of this year, I believe we really need to express to the worldwide audience what the mysterious proposals we have are all about. Otherwise we will be in an extremely different position."

Looks like we won't have to wait until E3 2006 to see the Revolution. Could this mean another Space World is on the horizon? That looks like the obvious direction. At least Iwata can express the importance of showcasing a new system before it's too late.

And what does he mean by different position? Could this mean Nintendo really is on top of the market? Whatever ends up happening, this is very interesting news.

Top Bottom