• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cashed said:
The only embarassing thing about the 360 launch in my opinion would be selling around 40% of their systems in Japan. I don't see how selling out in the U.S., Canada and Europe is embarassing.
By your logic, Microsoft could have shipped one 360 and sold it: "WE SOLD OUT OF EVERY X360 WE SHIPPED!"

A worldwide launch is certainly possible if Sony and/or Nintendo learns from Microsoft's mistakes. If they started production of the units well in advance and had enough warehouses pumping out systems, I don't see how it could be much more of an issue. Obviously it would be a tight schedule with the whole "get-it-out before Christmas" thing, but it can be done with enough planning.

I mean, at least they should be able to meet everyone's pre-orders, for cryin' out loud. Unlike a certain company.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
the 360 is the next cabbage patch doll. they'll increase supply only to have demmand drop like a rock. demmand will drop because they just had to release first, and the other next gens will leave microsoft in the dust.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Giygas said:
A worldwide launch is certainly possible if Sony and/or Nintendo learns from Microsoft's mistakes. If they started production of the units well in advance and had enough warehouses pumping out systems, I don't see how it could be much more of an issue. Obviously it would be a tight schedule with the whole "get-it-out before Christmas" thing, but it can be done with enough planning.
In my opinion Sony isn't even worth mentioning when it comes to worldwide launches. I just don't think they can or want to attempt a worldwide launch. While recent reports have said things are going well for parts of the PS3, I think Blu-Ray will prevent a worldwide launch.

I don't know if Nintendo would try it though. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would do. I know they did things differently with the DS but launching a console is much different then launching a handheld.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I can see sony not making a world wide launch with the PS3, but I can see Nintendo doing that. Nintendo did manage that with the DS and I think they can do the same with their Revo. I don't see how much differnt it is from shipping a console compared to shipping the handheld. Its just the matter of getting the right amount of units here and there. Nintendo did miscalculate on the DS, though. They actually had to ship back ds units from States back to Japan to make up for DS demands.

Zink

Smash Champion
It's a matter of statistical analysis and trend prediction. Hope Nintendo has good actuaries. With such a cheap console, overproduction will be far less of a problem than underproduction, obviously. I'm gonna preorder quite soon anyway. Maybe I'll buy some Nintendo stock. Does anyone know if it's publicly held?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Deo_Smash said:
I can see sony not making a world wide launch with the PS3, but I can see Nintendo doing that. Nintendo did manage that with the DS and I think they can do the same with their Revo. I don't see how much differnt it is from shipping a console compared to shipping the handheld. Its just the matter of getting the right amount of units here and there. Nintendo did miscalculate on the DS, though. They actually had to ship back ds units from States back to Japan to make up for DS demands.
I don't think Revolution will be a worldwide release.

The DS was easy to release worldwide because all models are the same, with the exception of power plugs for chargers. Consoles need to deal with the whole PAL/NSTC differences in televisions, and that always seems to mean that PAL countries have to wait. Most game developers take the time to fix bugs in their games before releasing PAL versions; I don't know what is involved with consoles though, but XBox 360 still hasn't been released here in Australia....

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nintendo have said they're going to get as close to a world-wide release aas posible, or at least improve on the release time of the DS (which I think was 16 weeks. Rather good)

Zink

Smash Champion
I think they said 14 weeks in Nintendo Power actually. So I'd expect around... maybe 10 weeks, maybe more... no 360 no Austrailia? :psycho: you guys must be going crazy. BTW Chill that link leads me to microsoft.com, not IGN. plz fix, unless this is a hypnotic attempt at brainwashing. By RevCubes I guess those are souped up Cubes although I haven't read the thing.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
My biggest concern about the Revolution is what third party companies think about it (and more particularly, the controllers). I think that it will most definitely pull in FPS designers from every company worldwide with it's unique controller, but what will fighting game creaters and the like think about a gaming system without a zillion (sometimes useful) buttons at their disposal, and inferior graphics compared to those of the PS3 and the X-Box 360. Either way, I trust Nintendo to put out first class first party games, as well as intrigue third party designers to join the ride. I also think that unlike Microsoft and Sony, who are now making multimedia consoles rather than gaming machines, that Nintendo's unwavering gaze on the gaming world will keep their games top of the line, even if the hardware isn't.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I can't remember where I read it but I wouldn't have much fear for lack of third party support. From what I can remember, most of the major 3rd party supporters (Konami, EA, Capcom,+others) have development kits and have ideas for upcoming games. Some lesser known developers are already in the works of Rev games, take Raid over the River for example. Never heard of the Company (nor can I remember) but the game sounds promising. I've also heard theres to be a DS version coming out as well. Theres also quotes from developers and producers themselve on howmuch they like the controller and how they want to make exrodinary games for it. Peter Molynuex is looking forward to making games for the Revo (the guy behind Fable and Black & White).
I really hope Miyamoto puts his 110% in the next mario game. That man is a canon of imagination and creativity. I remember reading an article how Peter Moore (don't quote me on the last name but its some highly postion Peter that works at Microsoft) would give up his job to have Miyamoto work his magic for Xbox games. Miyamoto is a humble man and i'm sure he's just as loyal to Nintendo. That and Nintendo probably pays big buckos to keep him under their wing as well, heh heh.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
the controller is a hot ticket to third parties. it gives them the chance to come up with something unique. but yea, im not so sure if whats going to happen with fighting games.

Zink

Smash Champion
Well, they've said they won't be shy about using the shell-Wavebird-thing, so maybe they'll use that? I dunno, has Nintendo been that big on fighters in the past?

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
nintendo's only original fighter is smash. third party multi-platformers make up the other fighting games, like i know capcom vs snk 2eo, and iunno about any others.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yeah, nintendo doesn't do traditional fighters.

The reason is that they'd have to come up with a whole slew of new characters, and they don't want to pull attention away from their major franchises. It would get people confused.

As for fighters on the revolution, I know that Eighting, the company that produced the Bloody Roar series, is excited about possibilities on the Rev. So we'll probably be seeing another rendition of BR or possibly a new fighter.

But rest assured, there will be fighters on the Rev.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Zink said:
Well, they've said they won't be shy about using the shell-Wavebird-thing, so maybe they'll use that? I dunno, has Nintendo been that big on fighters in the past?
Well of course Smash Bros. is my favorite, but games like Soul Calibur are also very fun. I liked Tekken for the PS2, and it's never too late to start a new series (infact, it's long overdue. When you're on your 18th sequel, it's time to move on).

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not sure what's meant by RevCubes, either, and that link sent me to microsoft.com, too, and from what I've heard about their site, I've always avoided it like the plague.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
The revo controller can be used for fighting games, i'm sure. I have an ideal how Soul Calibur can be used only by on controller, no add-ons, but I don't have time right now to explain because I'm at school and I may get in trouble trying to type it all up. But when I get the time I'll post it.

EDIT: Because I can't post twice, I'll do this instead. If you had doubts of lack of third party support, read this

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Well I can already invision myself spending lots of money on controller modifications. Hopefully at least the joystick with the two Z buttons will come standard.

What would a mock-up SSBR look like, control wise? In one of the interviews, it said that holding a direction for 2 seconds and then quickly pointing to the other direction could do your Smash attack. While I'm sure this is just speculation, it could also hold some good predictions. Seems like people using the Revolution controller would be slower than those using the Wavebird shell.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
as far as the online feature, i kinda figured that if you had to set up an account for all online use, i would prolly choose a very common name like Mario, or Link or something, since i'll be hooking it up the day its realeased. i kinda figure, if some body really wants that name or something later when there are thousands of accounts, i could sell em it or something.

does anyone think if you take like, a company name as you raccount name, like Google or Nintendo, that they might buy it off you? i tihnk that would be pretty sweet, but i think im pushing it a little there.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Paranoid_Android said:
In one of the interviews, it said that holding a direction for 2 seconds and then quickly pointing to the other direction could do your Smash attack.
It's just speculation. And bad speculating at that. Nothing useful takes 2 secs in a fighting game.

Zink

Smash Champion
yoshi what do you mean by ld controller? I expect you can use either the nunchuck set or the shell. I think you mean "old controller" and probably you will be able to use it, but it won't be the same. If you played DK: Jungle Beat, you could use the controller instead of the bongoes, but it wasn't nearly as good or as much fun.
Some people were worried about having to buy lots of expansions for the controller: so far only the nunchuck and shell have been announced, and Nintendo has mentioned they are leaning toward shipping them free with a package at launch.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
ChumpMoney said:
does anyone think if you take like, a company name as you raccount name, like Google or Nintendo, that they might buy it off you? i tihnk that would be pretty sweet, but i think im pushing it a little there.
Maybe if the world were made of lollipops and fairies. Otherwise companies would probably tell you to stop using their name before they press charges. And besides, what makes you think a communal entity like a corporation would have any interest in making an online screen name. Even if the corporations owner, for instance, Bill Gates wanted to log on to Xbox Live, he probably would name himself something along the lines of Bill Gates before picking the name Microsoft.

Quixotic thinking, but...well...quixotic itself omits the need for a negative to fill the void of lingual symmetry. But isn't it pretty to wish.

Zink

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't see why people would bother to buy a screen name anyway. Even if you can't duplicate names they could just add numbers on the end or something. ANd yes, if you take a company name they might be able to sue you for copyright infringement.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Well I fixed the link. It turns out I accidently added an extra /. I don't know why it would send you to microsoft.com though. It wouldn't work at all for me but the link is fixed now.

EDIT: Does Apple think they will be the ones to capture the casual market? iRev?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yeah...but no.

until I see some concrete performance, get to see this thing rather than some sketches, it looks...i dunno...stupid. Playing games only by tilting a screen, shaking it sounds very limited. You need at least some buttons.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
At first, I was all for the peripherals in the link that you just provided. Now, I feel differently.

I don't want to have a bunch of extra plastic lying around not being put to use more than half the time and I'm sure that Nintendo sympathizes, so I don't expect unnecessary peripherals to be released - the light gun one and the steering wheel especially. For racing games, all you have to do is insert the want into the shell and voila (!): Steering substitute. If the thing can detect all directions, then this idea of mine (Apple's) shouldn't be too far fetched.

What do you guys think?

Zink

Smash Champion
looks like a new 3rd party though. So they develop for all three, or claim to... interesting. That can't be easy for a relatively new company to work on such different platforms... hmm. I think they are trying to appear neutral company-wise until they are picked up by one of the Big Three. I haven't seen these guys before, although it says they started in 1990 and made 100 games. Maybe a different name for an old company?

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
Blitz Games made Fusion Frenzy for the Xbox, if I remember correctly. Other than that one though, no more games come to mind that were made by them.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
a bit ago we we're all startled to see those pictures of Rev production from the booklet that someone posted pictures of.

It displayed the back panel which hadn't been seen before, so people we're questioning whether to believethat that was true.

It was still hard to see the extra port on the back, Cashed dubbed it the 1337 port I believe.

Here's the final evidence.

http://aussie-nintendo.com/content/...ll&id=1139996321&archive=&start_from=&ucat=4&

this picture, and the other ones in the link providing, we're all released by Nintendo of Europe. SO they're certainly not fake.

They are sketches of the Rev from every concievable angle.

We can now clearly see that in addtion to the power and output ports we have two USB ports. No SD card ports.

Zink

Smash Champion
well that is very interesting... will it accept things like a keyboard or... A HEADSET!! YEAH! Voicechat here we come!!
maybe there will be a chance for a mouse too? prob. not though.
Also what is that squarish thing above the AV slot?

Top Bottom