• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I think if they did include online voice chat (which would be kinda cool for some stuff), they would have to have some kind of parental lock on it, so that parents would still feel comfortable with their kids playing it. Also, they would need to advertise it on the box and stuff too...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If you've played Xbox Live, you should know that voice chat is a must. When you're playing a team game, you want to be able to talk to your team mates. If you have a team in Halo 2 that doesn't talk, you aren't going to win. If you have a team that talks and plans things out, you have a much higher chance. There are the annoying people, which is countered with a mute option. Click on the person's name, press A on mute, no more annoyance! You can also go into the setting and just turn voice output off, or take your headset off. FDV, online games have the "Game experience may change during online play." disclaimer because of how people can act online.

If Rev's online is anything like the DS's though, it's going to be very lackluster. I was playing Mario Kart DS yesterday and kept getting in games with people snaking the entire match. I just wanted to race some people that, you know... didn't snake. I guess I'm just spoiled by Xbox Live, but I was really missing my "Avoid player" option, the feedback system, or just some way to tell the person I didn't enjoy playing with them.

With the DS, there's no way for Nintendo to get feedback on the players and ban the cheaters, exploiters, and just plain *******es.

gg Nintendo.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
I think that there's a good chance that we'll see some kind of means of communication with the Revolution. I mean, it's needed for Nintendogs! Nintendo can't expect us to simply push a button to call our canine companions after getting used to actually calling them in public...that would be madness.

And if the Revolution's online service is anything like the DS', then it will be lackluster, but it will also be free.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cashed said:
If Rev's online is anything like the DS's though, it's going to be very lackluster. I was playing Mario Kart DS yesterday and kept getting in games with people snaking the entire match. I just wanted to race some people that, you know... didn't snake. I guess I'm just spoiled by Xbox Live, but I was really missing my "Avoid player" option, the feedback system, or just some way to tell the person I didn't enjoy playing with them.

With the DS, there's no way for Nintendo to get feedback on the players and ban the cheaters, exploiters, and just plain *******es.

gg Nintendo.
Mario Kart DS is the first online game, and Mario Kart wasn't even going to be online until E3, so for a first thing, it's good, but they would have to be pretty lame not to improve on it. Hopefully MP hunters will show something....

Zink

Smash Champion
Here's another thing: this is Nintendo, a company all about family friendly. Do you think they would make an online voice chat without a mute option? Maybe even an automatic censor, instead. In addition, I think a headset-extension is more likely- TVs don't have earphone ports. Sure you can play without them, but it is easier to hear things with them.

Zink

Smash Champion
My TV doesn't have a headphone jack. :( Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Revolution could connect to any monitor? So, in theory, you could connect it to a computer with headphones and a USB mic or something.

EDIT: BTW, Mic, though that was a pretty funny video, it looked like just a bad practical joke (notice the moviemaker's username) . That guy being tormented probably was overreacting, true, but I think the person who made the video was trying to make him look like an idiot, and planned it all in advance.. I can't see the same situation arising on Iron Chef Revolution or whatever.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Zink said:
My TV doesn't have a headphone jack. :( Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Revolution could connect to any monitor? So, in theory, you could connect it to a computer with headphones and a USB mic or something.
It connects to the monitor, not to the computer itself.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I think what they could or might do is have rooms. You could host private rooms and invite your friends, that way you know who your talking to. You could also have a search critiria that could you find someone across the globe. You could have open rooms that would allow anyone in, the just pop up and you go at it. If you are the host, you should be allowed to kick out people who arn't being nice or just stupid. For example, I don't want to be listening to a 10 year old cussing out his mom over a glass of milk (true story, I kid you not!). So I just pull up a menu, select a boot option, and away they go! And if they keep coming back, still cussing at you for booting them off, you can reboot them and block them out. If you can't play nice, don't play at all! Then Nintendo could also set up servers that would act like a community house. People could go there to chat and if they want, they could go to a room on the server and have at it. And since thier on a server, other people could go to your match and watch as well as talk while the other people are playing w/o playing themselves. Even if they don't have the game, they could still watch. Hows that for an idea?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Sounds exactly like DOA4, except in DOA4 you can't boot people.

DOA4's online system should be used for fighting games, if not all kinds of games. You pick an avatar, hop into a lobby... which is an actual room you can walk around in, type messages in, talk in, do goofy animations, etc. In this room there's a receptionist, and if you want to join the match (or the next one) you talk to them. Then there's a TV in the lobby so anybody who isn't in the match can atleast watch and talk to the people playing.

Zink

Smash Champion
Watching a match w/o playing? That sounds cool, and I think it has never been done before. That would really work, because then you could study all the best players' strategies.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
And here I thought I had an original idea. Dangit.....Wait! How about this:

Servers could have rooms that were labeled. Kids, Teens, 18+, Adults. For the later 2, you'd have to have valid information. How or what kind of information, I dunno, but I'm sure there's a way that can't be muniplutlated by a 10 year old. Moderators would watch the rooms and kick out anybody being unappropriete in any manner and ultimatly block them from the room if it needs to be done.

Zink

Smash Champion
You mean like a password to get in? Maybe there could be a rating system, and when you get a certain rating they tell you the code? WHy separate by age? I think skill level is a better system.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
well, look at this from a parents view. HYPOTHECTCLY If I had a child who played games but could only get into a newbie level room, I wouldn't want to take the chance with my child to talk with a older or another personel that I may not be comfortable talking to, even though that person my play at the same level of my child. An age system would be better that way Mods could look at a rep sheet or data sheet a tell the 36 year old to get lost. And if the 36 year or any body thats starts asking for personal information in a Kids room, it time for that person to get lost. and Nintendo could keep a record of people being kicked out of rooms for reasons listed. That way they won't get a clean sheet if they go to a differnt server. Now the code idea would work for the 18+ and Adult areas. People could pay by Pay Pal or checking order for a small fee, like say $5. This would mean they would have to give address, phone number, what not. So if Nintendo has questoins, they can get a hold of that person. I think that works better more than what we've discussed.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
Wow, that's pretty **** cool Cashed.
The bottom of my page always comes up so I thought you were beign sarcastic. I was thinking "Cashed must of said something about his 360." He did, just not what I was thinking.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Deo_Smash said:
A wire-less head set would be a blessing in a Smash Bros. game. Me and my friends are often making up words, sounds, and ridiculous trash talk right in the middle of fighting. Often reciting phrases from Movies "How do you like my Face to your fist technique?" or "I'm bleeding therefore I am victor!" and "Durka durka!". While playing as Ganondorf, I often shout "My Face! Not my beautiful face!". I win after that because my friends are laughing so hard they can't even play.
Yes! Kung-Pow rocks!

Anyway, back on topic:
A system similar to what Cashed described was also suggested in the SSBR thread, most notably the option to watch other's matches, and practically everyone liked it. Who needs to download vids when you can watch the pros, however much? Cashed is right, every game, especially fighting ones should be set up like that online.

As for controlling the voice chat options, I'm just all for anything that lets me control who I have contact with, and block anyone I don't want to. I probably won't even use voice chat unless I'm playing someone I already know in person. I prefer to maintain anonymity on the Internet, and voice chat fairly negates that to an extent.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
Watching a match w/o playing? That sounds cool, and I think it has never been done before. That would really work, because then you could study all the best players' strategies.
dot dot dot

Yeah, Xbox Live's setup is pretty killer. You definitely get what you pay for ($50 a year).

Should we really expect a similar setup, though, when we're getting our online service for free?

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem with DoA4's lobby system is you can't be in the lobby AND be waiting to enter a match. That's just kind of pointless, if you ask me.

And don't go taking Nintendo censorship too far: after all, have you ever used Picto-Chat? Yea. You can't avoid this stuff if you go online. People are people.

Even Mario Kart DS, with minal...ness...Even THAT has derogatory-ness...

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
What other problems should be addressed in a gaming lobby? I'm really fond of the idea of watching games between people without playing but still able to communicate amongst each other would be a great experince.

Zink

Smash Champion
Maybe being able to record matches? Like wanting to go over a Ken match later, so you jus record it as you watch. Oh! I know! Maybe you set your Revolution to record a match if you can't watch it! Like TiVo or a DVR!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Zink said:
Maybe being able to record matches? Like wanting to go over a Ken match later, so you jus record it as you watch. Oh! I know! Maybe you set your Revolution to record a match if you can't watch it! Like TiVo or a DVR!
Recording matches or something would really make you want a harddrive. I record DOA4 matches whenever I do really good against someone, or if it was a funny fight (you can later watch the matches and take pictures in Watch Mode of them).

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
well, if the revos harddrive (does it even have one?) can't handle it, I support the idea of being able to record a video match using dvd or vcr. another thing, for those who watch but don't participate, should be able to controll their own camera and record it how they want to see it. I also don't see why some video recording could be saved on a memory card. F-Zero races could. I don't know how exactly but they could.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Okay, my compliments to DOA4's online setup are all but retracted now. How long does it take/how much of a hassle is it/what do you have to do etc. to exit the lobby and enter a match?

And thank you for that webcomic link, that was, despite being utterly crude, gold, and I'm sure very true. It's a good thing I can never make out people's decals while I'm playing, or now that I think about it I never bother to pay attention to the decals. The ESRB has already covered their butts with disclaimer about the "gameplay experience possibly changing during online play", and I've been wondering until now what could really happen while playing online that would really warrant that warning, besides standard procedure. Well, now I know. Thanks Destiny XD

EDIT: Oops, after rereading this post later I realized it was a little unclear, so just to clarify I meant all that regarding MKDS, I'm not nearly that naive when it comes to the Internet.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Lobbys should be easy to access. Playing matches against people on servers for people to watch should be simple like: menu, challenge, game?, insertgame, then you go from there. I really don't know how to it would work exactly but this is the simple jist of it.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I think my last post was typed and posted, then I closed the tab before looking at it, because those posts in between mine and Destiny's make it look like I was out of the loop. Anyway.

Deo, you're right, it should be like that. I don't understand why the game designers made DOA4's online system like that, unless it was necessary from a production standpoint, but I can't think of anything that would dictate that.

I'm nearly positive the Rev will have SD card reading capability, so couldn't you just store recorded matches on those? Not to mention being able to really store as many as you want.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
And any vs play going would be posted on like a bulliten board. If its open, people can just pop in and watch. Private would require a password and Closed would mean not open to be watched by anyone. I do like the idea of a television in a lobby. It could show random matches that have been going on through out the day. People could also walk around in custom avatars. Kinda like those online rpgs but only for lobby use and nothing complicated.

I really don't understand flash cards/drives and what-not. I really don't know what it does for the Revolution but I know what I can do with the revolution. Just about anything.

kaid

Smash Master
[friendly sarcasam]
Hey, Osco, you don't need to buy a whole new Rev when you run out of space on the flash drive- there are these things called Memory cards, that will be using SD tech. Much cheaper. Can do anything the flash memory can, and you can take it out and bring it to a friends!

Zink

Smash Champion
Yeah Deo, I am just really paraphrasing Nintendo when I talk about the memory stuff. That avatar thing... reminds me of Rogue Squadron II, and it's a cool idea.
I would rather have a Revolution than its memory.

Zink

Smash Champion
And your posts= getting off topic. Let's stick to the Revolution here people.
ATTACHEMENTS/EXTENSIONS
Here is the question: Are the extensions gonna be just nunchaku and shell, or maybe some gun ones too, or pratically a new one for each game? Being Nintendo, the family- and wallet- friendly company, I'd say #2.

kaid

Smash Master
Something occured to me about the basic remote and, expecially, the shell.

We've all seen it, I know, but I wanted a visual aid as I talked. Sorry.

Aside from the fact that the C-stick is taking a bite out of the remote, as placed... I see 5 more semi-accessible buttons on this controller.

First off, there is the Z2 button, to match the Wavebird's Z button. That one's a no brainer.

We all know that pressing Start isn't really that hard, although split-second stuff is still impractical. This shell adds the Select and Home buttons to the same area. But most interesting to me is that the 2 NES buttons are just as accessible, between the two joysticks.

As for the basic remote...

Again, JUST a visual aid. If you HAVN'T seen it, you've been living under a rock somewhere.

Anyway... now obviously, they're only holding the controller like that so you can see all the buttons. If you rotated your grip so that your thumb lines up the A button and Dpad... the NES buttons would be right under the base pad of your thumb. While this wouldn't exactly be a precision tool, you could mash down on them with your joint to activate another control.

Comments and flames?

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious as to what else besides guns, steering wheels, and fishing rods people have came up with.
I just had a ridiculus idea of what to do with the add-on controller feature, and no its nothing perverted.
A rolling chair that had a plug in for the revo controller on top. On the arms would be a Joy Stick on each side plus buttons. The chair could easly slide on most surfaces. This could give a mech-like feel. sliding on the chair around would be like dodging and raming. Of course this wouldn't be cheap, or would it? Plus if you fell over, you mech would be in a comatose state and would be defenceless until you got back up. Crazy! but it just might work.

Zink

Smash Champion
Sounds like an excellent bumper cars simulator.
Do people remember the Power Glove? It was bad, but imagine one with a Revo controller so it can actually tell where your hand is.
How about a boot for soccer games? or a stick for batting/fencing/whatever?

Top Bottom