• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I doubt I'll use the VC much, I hardly have time for new games coming out, but even if I was, I wouldn't be too happy about buying all those different peripherals, either. Is it just me, or each time we get more info like this, does Nin seem to be banking more and more on nostolgia to sell their next-gen products? Considering how much more of a history Nin has than the competition, I see where they're coming from, especially how many people now adult, who can spend more on this stuff, grew up on Nin, but it still looks like they're relying on nostalgia a bit too much.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
How many of you arre actually going to buy 4 classic controllers for the Virtual Console?
I know that I'll probably just keep my N64 for the sake of saving some 50 bucks. I'll probably get a classic controller with the bundle I get and than buy one more for NES and SNES>

How bout you guys?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
No, Great Marth, I was hoping to see that Pokemon battle revolutions video, because of how good everyone said it looked, but thanks for trying.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Thanks, TGM, I found it. It did look almost incredible. I just couldn't believe how crisp it looked, even with that blurry footage. Just as long as they throw out the Shadow Pokemon crap, I'll be happy if I play it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
kaid said:
Mr.GAW: Personally, I'll just use the Generic Classic controller they showed at E3. The one that was an SNES with joysticks.
I was actually talking about the generic classic controllers. I meant that I didnt feel like buying four generic classic controllers just for the N64, because that is the only system on the Virtual Consol that has four controllers. I would rather just have two generic classic controllers for genesis nes and snes, and I'll just keep my N64.

Otherwise I would have to waste money buying two extra controllers.

Sorry bout the confusion. :psycho:

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
If Nintendo plays it smart, they will sell the classic controllers bundled together with the wiimotes and nunchuck attachments, so you will get them with your regular controller.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
yeah, but then it would probably cost like 60 bucks for the bundle.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Mic_Fox said:
Would you perfer 20 bucks each?
Yes actually I would, because than I can buy a Wiimote without getting a Classic Controller.
Plus, If I don't have the money right away, I could by them one at a time.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I thought it'd be obvious that they're selling the Wiimotes seperately.... >.>

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Anyone thought about a little Wiimote-to-Controller adapter for each of the systems? That'd be really cheap, and it's be easy to include all the connections in one...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
kaid said:
Mr.GAW: Personally, I'll just use the Generic Classic controller they showed at E3. The one that was an SNES with joysticks.
actually, it's pretty much a PS2 controller. it has two shoulder buttons on each side.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Changes to be made on the wiimote and other information.

Thank you IGN. Found this on their site:

The Wii and its controller may have been the big talk of E3, but recent comments by Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto suggest that what we saw at the show was not the final thing. Speaking with Japan's Famitsu, the Nintendo spokesperson and father of Mario and Zelda said, "We're still debating on the area of how many buttons to use."

Miyamoto was responding to a question about difficulties Nintendo had in designing the controller. He attested to having many stories of such difficulties to share, before letting slip the above comment. It's possible that Miyamoto was merely stating that Nintendo's designers still argue about their decision regarding the button count, though the E3 design is final. Alternatively, it's possible that Nintendo is actually considering making some changes to the design before release. We'll have to wait for further clarification (or for the Wii's next showing).
Elsewhere in the interview, Miyamoto had plenty to say about E3 and the Wii in general. Regarding the show, Miyamoto admitted relief that the Wii was received so well. "We started making this hardware from three years back, and while working, the staff worried whether this was the correct direction to take," he said.

One particular reaction from the show pleased Miyamoto. Responding to a question of how third parties reacted to the hardware, he noted that while many developers sampled the system, he found it interesting to see many cases where the management side of companies, people he doesn't expect play games too much, took the time to try out Wii.

Moving on to Wii development in general, Miyamoto revealed that the development theme for the system was "Hardware that you'll want to turn on every day." "This isn't a simple thing," he said. "The DS is a portable machine, so it ends up being turned on casually while walking around. In the case of a console, this can't be done. We wanted to make something that could be used every day like a television."

Miyamoto brought up Wii Sports as the basic, fundamental Wii game. "I'm sure people wonder 'Why not Zelda?', but titles like Zelda are completely different from the Wii concept." Noting that Nintendo will continue to make Zelda-type games in addition to games like Wii Sports, he added that the most important thing for Nintendo's software planning is to make games that fulfill the concept of making the Wii into a machine that people use daily.

Just as the DS comes with PictoChat, Wii will come with some functionality built in right out of the box. Noting that the system's flash memory can be used for future upgrades, Miyamoto added, "However, we'd like to avoid relying on this and have everything included from the start." Miyamoto would not provide specifics on what type of things players will be able to do when first turning on their Wii without a game loaded in.

Readers of Famitsu.com, responding to a post-E3 survey, made Wii the next generation platform of choice by a large margin. Wii got 70% of the vote, with Xbox 360 and PS3 splitting the remainder (heavily in the PS3's favor, admittedly -- this is Japan, after all). Upon hearing this from the Famitsu interviewer, Miyamoto asked, "Was there a selection for 'I don't want any of them'? I'd like to know this, because we're fighting this 'I don't want any of them' selection."

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Vulpine51 said:
Thank you IGN. Found this on their site:

Readers of Famitsu.com, responding to a post-E3 survey, made Wii the next generation platform of choice by a large margin. Wii got 70% of the vote, with Xbox 360 and PS3 splitting the remainder (heavily in the PS3's favor, admittedly -- this is Japan, after all). Upon hearing this from the Famitsu interviewer, Miyamoto asked, "Was there a selection for 'I don't want any of them'? I'd like to know this, because we're fighting this 'I don't want any of them' selection."
Heh heh, take that MS. But the last part is the thing that caught my attention the most. Many people seem to still be missing the point of Nin's strategy for next-gen, and that question shows that it's not a lot of bs. I suppose the fourth option would have made sense more in the West, because that's where games are regarded as more of a kid/nerd hobby, which is not the situation in Japan.

Zink

Smash Champion
I also liked the subtle comment that the Wii is less of a video game console and more of a toy. Like, how he said Wii Sports type games would have a focus- that kind of thing isn't as much a video game as a simulator. Like a non videogame sort of game, if that makes sense.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Zink said:
I also liked the subtle comment that the Wii is less of a video game console and more of a toy. Like, how he said Wii Sports type games would have a focus- that kind of thing isn't as much a video game as a simulator. Like a non videogame sort of game, if that makes sense.
That is what attracts me to the Wii and if it proves itself worthy of all the hype I will become a nintendo fan once again. What excites me most is that I wont be commanding the actions on the screen. Instead I will be making them. I dont care if I'll look like strange hacking and slashing at my TV screen. Its not like playing the video games we have today make us look sexy (oh yeah. press that A button. thats so hot.). Games today can only pull your mind out of the real world and into fantasy. The Wii is atempting to lure your mind and body. If this is a smash hit who knows what the big "N" will have in store for us 5 or 6 years from now?

kaid

Smash Master
...actually, someone posted a hint of what Nintendo might be planning 5-6 years away.

Nintendo bought some sample hardware from a company who makes LCD screen glasses. "A resolution equivilant to a 9 foot TV," they advertized. The cost is around 1k NOW, but if Nintendo gets behind making the things cheaper... watch out, PSP, your 5" screen is gonna be blown away.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
kaid said:
...actually, someone posted a hint of what Nintendo might be planning 5-6 years away.

Nintendo bought some sample hardware from a company who makes LCD screen glasses. "A resolution equivilant to a 9 foot TV," they advertized. The cost is around 1k NOW, but if Nintendo gets behind making the things cheaper... watch out, PSP, your 5" screen is gonna be blown away.
Nintendo sure does love the portable systems. So okay. Mabe 10-20 years from now? Heheh.

Really my point is, if this is a big hit there is no reason why Nintendo wouldnt improve on it. I would imagine that they would keep/improve the Wiimote style gameplay but ramp up the graphics to the point where you couldnt tell if you were looking in your TV or out your window. Quite a stretch I know, but it would be awsome.

Zink

Smash Champion
I doubt they'd go that far. They'd always keep that element of fantasy, so you won't replace the game with real life. However, glasses like those mentioned could be very handy- portable Wii. In fact, portable anything- imaginebringing the next Nintendo console around on a belt attachement or something. Nobody to play tennis with? Go to the court by yourself and play the computer!

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I think that instead of using all the old controllers, the big N will just make use of our old GCN controllers or have us the the Wiimote in a creative style so we can still enjoy these games.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
this is from codenamerevolution.com

Mercury games now confirmed for Wii!

June 19th, 2006

We reported earlier today about rumours that were going around that two ‘Mercury’ titles were on it’s way to the Wii. C3 has now confirmed this from the publishers updated release list. The games are Mercury Meltdown scheduled for this coming November and Mercury Type R scheduled for sometime in Q4-2006. These titles were once made exclusively for Sony Playstation platforms, but as it seems with the high-cost of development for PS3 it’s possible that the ‘rumour’ of third-parties shifting from the PS3 to the Wii is definitely happening.

1T-SRAM confirmed in the Wii

June 19th, 2006

MoSys have confirmed that the Wii will carry their brand of 1T-SRAM technology for main memory. MoSys was the provider of Gamecube memory.

According to the company they have stated that “Designing the Wii console required an incredible list of breakthroughs in technology and innovation. The performance delivered by MoSys’ 1T-SRAM technology is an important element of our solution. The graphic performance of Wii benefits from MoSys’ ability to develop highly innovative and dependable embedded memory products.”

some info for today.

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmmm... the MoSys isn't that big news, but it's something. On the other hand, what on Earth are those Mercury games? Never heard of them.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
More info about the chips from NEC and MoSys

Found at IGN. (I love this site :) )

June 19, 2006 - NEC Electronics announced today that Nintendo has selected the company to provide 90-nanometer CMOS-compatible embedded DRAM technology for the forthcoming Wii console. The new LSI chips with eDRAM will be manufactured on NEC's 300-millimeter production line at Yamagata. While no clock speeds or really juicy info was included in the release, the news does bring up a variety of interesting points.

The official announcement does not come as a great surprise, as NEC and Nintendo have worked closely in the past. NEC provided the eDRAM graphics LSI chips for the GameCube, which it manufactured at its plant in Kyushu, and has also agreed to allow Nintendo to feature classic NEC TurboGrafx-16 games via the Wii's Virtual Console capability.

Separating a logic (graphics) chip from memory results in narrow bandwidth.

eDRAM integrates DRAM with logic circuits in a single chip, which is an ideal configuration for graphic acceleration applications that require high data bandwidth. NEC has achieved excellent results in manufacturing such chips by integrating "metal-insulator-metal 2 (MIM2) stacked DRAM capacitors" in the company's standard CMOS process.

Embedding RAM is much better.

NEC first brought this MIM2 technology to market in 2005 on 90nm eDRAM. The company achieved this breakthrough via a number of advances, including "1) using a MIM structure for the electrodes in the DRAM cell to achieve lower resistance values and higher data processing speeds, 2) using cobalt-silicide (CoSi) DRAM cell transistors to increase driving performance, and 3) using zirconium-oxide (ZrO2) in the capacitance layer (ahead of other vendors) to increase capacitance of the unit area."

NEC is promising to press forward in developing their eDRAM technology to make the move from 90nm processed chips to 55nm in the near future. While the Wii will be making use of the 90nm technology, the potential for future manufacturing advances of the NEC supplied chips may eventually result in even more efficient and smaller chipsets for the Wii down the line.

NEC's roadmap towards 55nm eDRAM.

NEC also revealed that it has selected MoSys as the DRAM macro design partner for the "Wii devices," due to the fact that MoSys is quite familiar with implementing 1T-SRAM macros on NEC's eDRAM process. The 1T-SRAM technology is the product or more than six years of technical collaboration between Nintendo and MoSys. Previous generations of the technology were incorporated in the GameCube.

MoSys memory will be used as the main embedded memory on the Wii's graphics chip and in an "additional external memory chip." Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director and General Manager of Integrated Research and Development Division at Nintendo commented: "Designing the Wii console required an incredible list of breakthroughs in technology and innovation. The performance delivered by MoSys' 1T-SRAM technology is an important element of our solution. The graphic performance of Wii benefits from MoSys' ability to develop highly innovative and dependable embedded memory products."

According to MoSys, 1T-SRAM technology is the most advanced embedded memory technology in the world. Based upon a single transistor cell to achieve exceptional density, the technology is able to maintain the beneficial qualities of refresh-free interfacing and low latency random memory access cycle time that characterize the traditional six-transistor SRAM cell design.

The announcements confirm IGN's previous reports that the Wii would make use of 1T-SRAM both in an embedded and individual application. Our most up-to-date specs promise 16MB of eDRAM (integrated in NEC's LSI chips) and 88MB of 1T-SRAM (the "additional external memory chip"), for a total of 104MB of system RAM, not counting the allegedly accessible 512MB of Flash RAM or the ATI Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, which is said to amount to 3MB.

NEC certainly seems positive about the announcement, and well they should. The company has not reported profits for more than a year. On the strength of the expected demand for the Wii, however, NEC Electronics is now forecasting operating profits of $44 million for the year ending March 2007.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Wow. I understood about 5% of that. But I got the gist enough to understand how the tech in the Wii is supposedly some of the most advanced you can come by right now, and still the smallest console ever. I'm still amazed some people label Nin as a "kiddy" company.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Zink said:
On the other hand, what on Earth are those Mercury games? Never heard of them.
Oh god, they are freaking AWESOME.

You basically tilt this blob of Mercury around through a maze/puzzle, changing the colours of it for puzzles and so on, trying to complete it without spilling it. Sounds easy, but it gets rather complex. Look at this level.

Genious! This will be an awsome game on the Wii.

Top Bottom