• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi OU RMT: Another noob's first shot (Round 3: Standards are standard for a reason)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
As cliche as it sounds, realizing where and how you played badly is the first step to improving.

ROTOM-W, **** THE WATER-TYPING

But seriously, Dragonite with Surf / Hurricane / Thunder, something like Scizor to take advantage of weaker Fire, or something else to deal with sandstorm, but none of those are better than Thunderbro

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why would you want to replace Thundurus.

If he's not pulling his part that is honestly your fault. He's one of the best mons in the entire game, and the best Rain Sweeper in the game.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
@wave: but jellicent is there to fill the hole that gen iv rotom-w left in your heart tho :/

@ulti: he keeps getting outsped and revenge killed before he has a chance to do anything :/
or he hits something for like 80% damage and gets OHKO'd on return
hes so weak
maybe i could run a support blissey...i could use some toxic/aromatherapy

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure | Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Are you even Nasty Plotting?

If you aren't then you're not choosing the right **** to set up on, considering Blissey can't even take a +2 Focus Blast. Nasty Plot isn't a filler, it's the entire point of the set.

I also like how you call the STRONGEST SPECIAL ATTACKER IN THE TIER WEAK. If he doesn't cut the mustard, NOTHING will.

MK26

Smash Master
honestly im probably just using it wrong

like, ill nasty plot trusting that my opponent wont kill me...and then he kills me
or if he doesnt ive taken 80% damage and will die due to life orb recoil after my second kill

or im jaded by the surprisingly large number of times focus blast has missed twice in a row

===

Are there any Gen V damage calculators floating around?

===

Does Eviolite Chansey do a better job than Blissey?

===

Listing all the ways Thundurus manages to die:
Switching in on what turns out to be a Rotom-W Volt Switch critical hit
Taking 81% from a Vaporeon Scald, and killing itself from Life Orb knockback for the final kill
Aerodactly Stone Edge after taking various small damage
Kingdra Draco Meteor
Donphan critical hit Ice Shard

Thats in five matches
Im pretty sure hes the only one of my pokemon that managed to die all five times
And when I had Smeargle, Smeargle had a better record of surviving too

MK26

Smash Master
smogon's doesnt have gen v pokemon or attacks and cherubi makes me type everything in by hand...so basically, neither of them give me quick, easy ways to calculate damage

===

EDIT: omg blissey is awesome

blissey <> jellicent <> ferrothorn synergy is impeccable

new team below and in the op

===

EDITEDIT: i missed wave's edit <_<

scizor and dragonite might work, but blissey is working right now

i must look into them, ive been trolled by plenty of scizors (and a few dragonites) before but never thought to put them on my team

[collapse=new team]Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Water Absorb | Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Latios @ Choice Specs
Levitate | Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Draco Meteor
Surf
Thunder
Trick

Blissey @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs | Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb | Bold (+Def, -Atk)
248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Dry Skin | Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Payback[/collapse]

Enzo

Smash Lord
Drop bulkup for sd since you're gonna lose to gliscor anyways unless you go for ice punch

Specstoed is weak and slow which will make him even harder to get an attack out with so I'd say modest scarf
And hp electric over grass to hit gyar, (surf will 2hko bulky watergrounds anyway)

MK26

Smash Master
dude, bulk up has helped me pop off some late game sweeps with toxi lol
never underestimate the power of drain punch
and gliscor gets countered just by the presence of politoed anyway so w/e

im running timid scarf right now, is there anything modest scarf kills that timid doesnt? and is there anything timid outspeeds that mdoest doesnt?

hp electric seems like a good idea, any dissenters?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
smogon's doesnt have gen v pokemon or attacks and cherubi makes me type everything in by hand...so basically, neither of them give me quick, easy ways to calculate damage
BACK lN MY DAY

WE WALKED 10 MILES UPHILL BOTH WAYS IN THE SNOW

JUST TO FIND A POKEMON'S ACTUAL STATS SO WE COULD DO DAMAGE CALCULATIONS

YOU DAMN WHIPPERSNAPPERS

mood4food77

Smash Hero
why not just run thunderus over toxicroak?

i mean, thunderus is the best rain sweeper

MK26

Smash Master
thundurus cant take a hit tho...

Hows this for replacing Blissey

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale | Mild (+SAtk, -Def)
224 HP / 56 Def / 196 SAtk / 32 Spd
Hurricane
Thunder
Dragon Tail
Roost

It looks like an unorthodox EV spread, but leaves me with sufficiently bulky defenses without sacrificing attack or speed

Its based off this spread, but i would rather have dragonite able to phaze with STAB DT than have yet another surf user
not to mention DT hits harder than brick break (though i do realize not running brick break leaves me with a magnezone weakness; magnezone always beats ferro and jelli 1-on-1, but toxicroak's drain punch takes him down)
name: Tank (Rain)
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Brick Break / Surf
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Multiscale
nature: Quiet / Modest
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Trust me that's the worst set Dragonite can run, besides, you don't need two Dragons.

http://masara.byethost15.com/SilverlightDmgCalcTestPage.html

Also that's the best damage calc.

Also you're getting closer and closer to running Rainstall without the actual elements of stall. You're now running Blissey, you've reached the point to where your damage output isn't high enough. You have no TSpikes to support stall, and between Latios, Politoed, and Toxicroak, you don't have firepower to get EVERYTHING.

At this point run Rotom-W over Blissey, you lose that Stall synergy, but you get a balance of bulk and firepower out of it.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest / Levitate
Hydro Pump
Thunder
WoW
Pain Split

Basically if this doesn't solve your overly suicidal playstyle while still allowing you to have a good team, then I have no clue.

MK26

Smash Master
Trust me that's the worst set Dragonite can run, besides, you don't need two Dragons.
Alright then, no Dragonite. I'm just trying to see if the pokemon people have suggested would fit on my team
On that note, would a lead scizor work? At all?

Cool.

Also you're getting closer and closer to running Rainstall without the actual elements of stall. You're now running Blissey, you've reached the point to where your damage output isn't high enough. You have no TSpikes to support stall, and between Latios, Politoed, and Toxicroak, you don't have firepower to get EVERYTHING.
What are these 'elements of stall', besides TSpikes? And either im playing really bad opponents or im doing a good job of stalling out everything i cant kill directly lol

At this point run Rotom-W over Blissey, you lose that Stall synergy, but you get a balance of bulk and firepower out of it.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest / Levitate
Hydro Pump
Thunder
WoW
Pain Split

Basically if this doesn't solve your overly suicidal playstyle while still allowing you to have a good team, then I have no clue.
Overly suicidal? And do i really need two water-type pokemon with will-o-wisp?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There's no reason to have a "lead Pokemon" with team preview and all.

There's no set number of things that a stall team needs. In general, a stall team has entry hazards; either many Pokemon with Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Will-o-Wisp, and / or Toxic Spikes; a defensive core (usually 2-3 Pokemon); and a Pokemon that supports the defensive core (Infernape breaks through the gen IV SkarmBliss, so people used Tentacruel and Latias). Things like passive damage through sandstorm / hail, dual screens, and Wish / Heal Bell / Aromatherapy is fairly common.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You're playing bad opponents, trust me, you need to get up to like 1300 before anyone is good.

If you REALLY want to run Rain Stall, you need to have a Spiker/SRer, Phazer, TSpiker, and Spinner. This means you'd need to run Spikes > Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn, HP Electric > HP Grass on Toed, Tentacruel > Jellicent, Scizor > Toxicroak, and Latias > Latios.

If you want to do all that, I guess I'll write out the sets later, I'm not going to bother if you're not, though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Physical bulk at the cost of special bulk usually isn't worth it, and that's ignoring not having Leftovers recovery.
Losing 10 HP and 10 Spe while gaining 50 Def and 95 SpD isn't "physical bulk at the cost of special bulk", and leftovers recovery is incredibly minor since with a cleric set you won't be taking residual damage from anything but Spikes and Sand (you beat sand teams since you're running Rain)/Hail (lol). Chansey is more specially bulky than Blissey by a ton with Eviolite and unless your team is weak to Sand the lack of leftovers recovery doesn't matter.

I guess playing a stupid metagame makes people stupid.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't play at all actually. I was too busy during the school year and ever since I got out I've been playing other games.

If I did play Ubers, I'd play some bull**** with Extremekiller Mewtwo, SD Arceus, and whatever the best weather configuration is.

MK26

Smash Master
Smogon's PO server is down :(

But as soon as it comes back up im testing how Eviolite Chansey works out

EDIT: wait a second...Soul Dew is legal?!?!?

brb breaking latios

oh, you cant transfer items to BW...no soul dew

===

EDIT: Same Pokemon Different Sets:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Drizzle | Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SAtk / 168 SDef
- Rest
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

ScarfToed really didn't do much, so I decided to try SupporToed while running a Scarfed Rotom-W, and it worked quite well. Of course, this left me lacking on the offensive side, but I'll get to Poli's replacement soon.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Levitate | Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Trick

Still the same Latios. Switching in and crippling things is basically all this guy does, and it works.

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Ice Beam over Seismic Toss to hit assorted dragons and grass-types hard, as I realized I got rid of every other ice beam on my team. TWave because Poli has Toxic. However, I'm thinking of switching both of those back. I'm staying with Blissey over Eviolite Chansey because Chansey does even more pitiful damage from Ice Beam than Blissey - at least Blissey 2-hits and 3-hits most dragons.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs | Sassy (+SDef, -Spd)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

And here's my surprise. Yes, Curse and Gyro Ball. Yes, this beats every other Ferrothorn currently in existence. Yes, this beats Magnezone EASILY if it catches it with a Leech Seed on the switch (not too hard to do, thanks to Team Preview). Ferrothorn was feeling almost like setup fodder, unable to wall certain threats...but now, it's taking everything but boosted Fighting attacks, really.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb | Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

I just can't drop Jellicent. Not at all. He is just too good. I don't care about Rotom-W, just let me keep my Ferrocent core.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Dry Skin | Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Simple replacement of Payback for Sucker Punch. This guy's Reuniclus bait now. Set up a Sub on the switch in, Sucker Punch the obvious Psychic, and even if he Calm Minds on the switch to Latios AND on the turn after AND I get the minimum possible damage roll on all three attacks, two Draco Meteors are 100% guaranteed to kill.
===

EDITEDIT: ragequitting pokemon

Top Bottom