• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi decreases Ice Climber skill?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I was pretty good with Ice Climbers for a while and had their chain grabs mastered, but then I started using them on wifi, which hurt my timing. After a while of using them on wifi, I played a couple of offline matches with them and did worse, and I couldn't chain grab or desync well at all. Because of that I stopped using them on wifi and decided to only use them offline. I had forgotten about them for a while, so I used them in quite a few battles against my neighbor (who's normally about even with me in skill) and used Ice Climbers in each battle. I ended up winning all of the battles, and they weren't close, I was winning big time. Somehow by not using them on wifi I kept the skill that I built back up, with the exception of chain grabbing which I still had some trouble at.

Have any of you had the problem of getting worse with Ice Climbers due to using them on wifi? Or are you still just as good with them anyways? Or do you not use them on wifi at all?

Aziel

Smash Cadet
Wi-fi decreases everything except spamming/camping.
Things you can be punished for on Wi-fi? One: Approaching.

Honto-E-Lawl

Smash Journeyman
its funny i play about the same on wifi...

because im a spammer ^_^ (everyone hates me for it though :/)

but i can't CG on wifi so i gave up on that...ICs can still be sick without it...

Miller

Smash Lord
Yea, don't even bother with Wifi, you have to learn new timing every match depending on the lag and you can't remember exactly which timing is the proper timing for offline. Its like pokemon games, when you have to delete one skill to learn another, In this case it was you deleted Offline CGs for Online CGs, in which Offline CGs >>>>>>> Online CGs

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
IMO IC are effected much more than anyone else because they require very "sensitive" timing. And that gets screwed over online...

Tenki

Smash Hero
@.@?

I've been chaingrabbed online.

on a general wifi note, if you're relying on what you see when trying to time the moves, you're doing it wrong.

Certain characters who make high usage of punishing the smallest lag moments suffer terribly on wifi, btw. At least IC has a few spacing moves that can stop some approaches ;P

------ Edit:
vvv ^^; Just because I don't main IC's or post in the IC boards doesn't mean I haven't tried learning the chaingrabs for myself.

Also, the things I said about not relying on graphics to time moves online... applies to every character.

Miller

Smash Lord
@.@?

I've been chaingrabbed online.

on a general wifi note, if you're relying on what you see when trying to time the moves, you're doing it wrong.

Certain characters who make high usage of punishing the smallest lag moments suffer terribly on wifi, btw. At least IC has a few spacing moves that can stop some approaches ;P
Dude, Ive never even seen you post here, what would you know about chain grabs, how their timing is, how ****ed up it gets?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, IMO, don't even bother with the IC's online. It's not worth it. Yeah, you can still win, but that satisfaction of 0 to death'ing someone is gone. So that's why I stick to Yoshi on online play, and I've been told that my Yoshi would kill my IC's until I send them replays of my offline ICs.

So summed, up, don't use ICs online if your expecting to pull off CGs right and left.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You don't HAVE to 0 to Death every stock to be successful with the Ice Climbers though. My offline Ice Climbers are much different than my online ones. Offline I chaingrab alot and I know they're capable of more. Online, I desynch alot more, do a few chaingrabs when I can, and finish them off with charged grab smashes.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
i refuse to use Chain grabs online for this very reason, the only thing ill do is maybe a switch off and a ton of smash grabs online, offline ill go CG crazy till my friend punched me in the face, but i refuse online so i don't mess up my timing. Online i just mix aerials, blizzards and smash grabs to damage and kill and it works nicely and people i play respect and are happy for not using the chian grabs, lol

Dj Chopin

Smash Apprentice
" offline ill go CG crazy till my friend punched me in the face."

ahaha, i love smash brothers. i knocked out my friend once 5 years ago during a heated melee match. dr mario's "Weehee"s and "wooha"s just pushed me over the top. yeah yeah, off topic...

chckn

Smash Ace
Yeah online is like playing a completely different game. Cgs pivot grabing, trotting, and more technical aspects of the game are reduced to ****. It becomes instead of reacting and using mindgames, just a matter of who can predict better. I gave up on ice climbers online after the first couple matches :[.

Top Bottom