• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

Xtra

Smash Ace
double post but i dont care, i never post and it looks like some of u have been grinding posts like crazy...i wont hold a tourny.( as u all know how the last one went) but i would love to have a smash fest. lets say...sat. the 5th. im going to take off of work tonight so it'll go down fo sho. i dont know how often i can get on to find out but pm so i can give u my address. i dont want to make a thread either cuz i'll never be able to check it. but whatev. so whats up

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Historically, Racine has been a difficult place for smashers to regularly travel to... between OiR and LoR, I don't think a tourney in that area has ever broken 32 (open to correction on this). While there's nothing bad at ALL about running $6 monthlies, there should also be a larger anchor tourney that will get wider interest from oos and, more importantly, from within the state itself.

James Sparrow said:
Local game stores are generally a bad venue to be honest. We've all been to them, and there's always something sketchy. Take CC3-CC5 at Chimeras. We were not treated with respect, we were robbed of 10% of our pot, we were forced to take the tournament elsewhere because of time, and we were not given enough space for what we needed. Then take a look at CC6, where we had a nice venue, no one breathing down our necks, ample space for plenty of setups, and a small venue fee that meant no pot stealing. Then there's the Odiez tournaments in racilla, where you had to pay a cover fee at the door, and then were forced to throw out any food you brought in which left you the choice of being hungry or overpaying for a bad frozen pizza. Lets not even start with the gamestop brawl tournaments :bee:

That being said, Sago I recommend you take some caution when lining up a venue.
I think Sago just meant he would look for a store to sponsor it, not necessarily host it. But, this is still an excellent post with some really important info.

Dr Insaniack

Smash Cadet
I will have a Fest ... no tourny on 4-12. Monroe WI.(south cantral) i took off the second Sat. of each month this summer. so if i get some ppl to show and enough want to do it as a monthly i can do that. but i am also a Halo player. so i am opening this up to them too. if i have too many ppl a new location will be need but thats for may not april. anyway. nothing will be tourny, just friendlies (halo too). bring other games whatever. i have rockband and GH2&3. .... blah blah blah. when i have details i will post a thread.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
With Brawl out and summer on the horizon, WI needs some people to step up and host some good tournaments to get the new scene going. There are a lot of new players, a lot of new techniques to be learned, and a lot of friends to fight for :ike:

If we can get one big WI tournament for each month in summer, that ought to give the scene a much needed jump start. Lonejedi and I have already agreed to pair up to host a tourney someplace in the Fox Cities in mid-June. I also am finalizing details on HJ5 for late August. That just leaves July, with the most preferable time being the middle of the month to keep all three tournaments evenly spaced. We're looking to spread out the location a bit, and host something in either central WI to make things easier for MN, or southern WI for IL/IN. And no matter where it is, all of WI should be trying to make each tourney :bee:

So, what lone and I need is a third person to work with us on these tournaments, and find a good venue in their area for mid-July. We're both respected tourney hosts with a wide range of experience; if three people can work together on the same level, our combined efforts should provide for some really well-run tournaments.

So, who's up for this? Hayate, Quaz, anyone??
I proably would if I was older than 15 and could drive and didn't live in a "Mansion" In the middle of the boondocts. Sorry for extreme johns.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Well to be honest I never really like Odiez as a venue. But I had to use what I had. And yea I do believe we came close to 30 entrants...but never over 30. But it was a multi game tournament...so we had well over 30 people there, just not for one game. But anyways...

I have made a serious effort to get the venue I have now, and I'll be ****ed if I don't run tournaments. So I'll post em if people come they do, if not...best luck to you and the tournaments u guys run. I think Racine is the perfect inbetween it all. And u guys have to consider we will be haveing Tekken 6 soon just imagine all the neighboring states that will come and play it and most of them play Brawl as well. Some of u guys need to think outside of the box...just for a sec.

I seriously hope some of you guys take interest in my tournament. Don't think for one sec. just cause I said..."Let's add the smash ball in teams." These are going to be "petty" tournaments and comp. cause you'll be dead wrong.

And last but not least, I am going to try to attend other tournaments u guys hold. I mean, I'm all about being fair and supporting fellow gamers. I do remember some of u guys were dedicated to the OIR tournaments I ran, and I thank u...even if there was bad pizza.

Well I thought it was kinda tasty....LOL!

Oh and I just wanted to clarify. There is no rules like that at Paul's Video Arcade. U bring what u want to eat. And there is a vending machine too...but he doesn't care if u guys eat outside food there or not. He has to close when the mall closes but I been pretty good on time, so not a problem. There will be space solely for Brawl. I mean it is an arcade after all so we have to make due with what we have. And again there will be multi game tournaments so variety is always nice. I hate going to one game tournament...I dunno about u guys... (this is also posted in my tournament thread).

well hope to see some of yous soon. will be online with the wii soon too. get ready...

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Well to be honest I never really like Odiez as a venue. But I had to use what I had. And yea I do believe we came close to 30 entrants...but never over 30. But it was a multi game tournament...so we had well over 30 people there, just not for one game. But anyways...

I have made a serious effort to get the venue I have now, and I'll be ****ed if I don't run tournaments. So I'll post em if people come they do, if not...best luck to you and the tournaments u guys run. I think Racine is the perfect inbetween it all. And u guys have to consider we will be haveing Tekken 6 soon just imagine all the neighboring states that will come and play it and most of them play Brawl as well. Some of u guys need to think outside of the box...just for a sec.

I seriously hope some of you guys take interest in my tournament. Don't think for one sec. just cause I said..."Let's add the smash ball in teams." These are going to be "petty" tournaments and comp. cause you'll be dead wrong.

And last but not least, I am going to try to attend other tournaments u guys hold. I mean, I'm all about being fair and supporting fellow gamers. I do remember some of u guys were dedicated to the OIR tournaments I ran, and I thank u...even if there was bad pizza.

Oh and I just wanted to clarify. There is no rules like that at Paul's Video Arcade. U bring what u want to eat. And there is a vending machine too...but he doesn't care if u guys eat outside food there or not. He has to close when the mall closes but I been pretty good on time, so not a problem. There will be space solely for Brawl. I mean it is an arcade after all so we have to make due with what we have. And again there will be multi game tournaments so variety is always nice. I hate going to one game tournament...I dunno about u guys... (this is also posted in my tournament thread).

well hope to see some of yous soon. will be online with the wii soon too. get ready...
I loved going to odiez' tournies. Don't get me wrong.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman

I went for yugioh, but Smash Bros was just an incentive.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
i'm maining luigi @_@

anyway, what time during summer? i'll host fbt4 at late aug?(i don't want to miss gen con)
I already have dibs on late August :) anytime from late June to early August is fine, with preference on mid-July if we want to have 3 evenly spaced anchor tournies.

chansen

Smash Lord
I already have dibs on late August :) anytime from late June to early August is fine, with preference on mid-July if we want to have 3 evenly spaced anchor tournies.
Mundungu played me in a wifi match, and i lost. But that means that he's helping me host a tourney. We'll definitely be able to do this in mid-july. Me and mundungu are going venue hunting hopefully soon. I know that card shops and venues of that sort are lame. But, BUt, BUT. I heard a rumor that the apple store has late night stuff and you can pay for some time. I'd need a lil cash back if this was interesting to anyone. Otherwise i have different connections.

Also, some rules for the mid july tourney, I'm laying these out early, so some scrubs can't john out cuz they didnt shower.

1. Shower: That day, yeah...that day. I know its hard for some, take a bath if you need to. But no one is getting in the tourney when they smell like salami and wet socks.

2. BYOC/G: That's for controllers mostly. That mostly goes without saying. But the g stands for games. I want to encourage more games to be played. I'm a huge fan of nintendo, so any game in that genre will prolly get an ok. The only playstation games i really like are the ones 18S plays (beatmania, ddr, etc.)

3. No infinites: No infinite jumps as bowser, no b-stick sliding as lucas.

4. If your going to the after party, you probably should have brought something. AKA, money or weed or booze. Those old enough to can go to the bars with me later that night:bee:

edit: I too, fight for my friends.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
No bsticking? LOL. You're such a scrub.

Give me my snes back.

Is that rule only for lucas? Also, if we don't use the c stick to b stick, are we allowed to do it?

chansen

Smash Lord
WHAT THE FUCK, I'm playing a brawl with no items, and mario just did his final smash.

Someone, explain.

edit: Summit...wow, the only level they put wavedashing in...

Quaz

Smash Master
were you playing a timed match on wifi? and was the mario getting his *** kicked? because if those are true then mario got the "pity smash" which allows him to use his final smash because he was getting owned so bad... its one of those things by sakurai... you know... "I want n00bs to win at video games."

Mundungu

Smash Lord
double post but i dont care, i never post and it looks like some of u have been grinding posts like crazy...i wont hold a tourny.( as u all know how the last one went) but i would love to have a smash fest. lets say...sat. the 5th. im going to take off of work tonight so it'll go down fo sho. i dont know how often i can get on to find out but pm so i can give u my address. i dont want to make a thread either cuz i'll never be able to check it. but whatev. so whats up
I'll go to this too. I can bring a melee setup if anyone is interested.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Quaz: Very Good Games yesterday (in person Brawl). I am most definitely going to add Ganon to my top 3 so now it's like Lucario/Ganon/Mario. Win Ratio was like 60/40 - You. And I have to admit our matches were pretty close. The D.D.D (Digi) vs. Yoshi (Quaz) was pretty epic. That match should have been recorded. We should play again before spring break is over. And like I said, I'm going pro in Brawl. I'm taking out all the stress I went thru in Melee to pwn the noobs in Brawl...LOL!!!

Brawl reminds me of Super Street Fighter 2 (2 Turbo, if final smash is in play) for some reason now...I just can't put my finger on it...:confused:!!!

And like I said earlier, hopefully we can all support each others tournaments. The results to these tournaments are going to be interesting.

Oh Rob: I'm not sure if u are going to read this...but very good games in Naruto Accel 2 and Brawl. I know u haven't played in a while. But I am glad u like 4 Tail Kyuubi (4 Tail Fox). Our reliving the Orochi and Naruto match was fun as hell. Hope to see u more often when Quaz comes over.

Sheik: gimme a call sometime to get some games in. That goes to anyone who's in the Racine area.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
Instead of throwing a waddle dee, he threw a capsule.

:zerosuitsamus::zerosuitsamus::zerosuitsamus:
You do know that sakurai gave DeDeDe a random chance to throw an item? Even if items are turned off just like peach can throw a beam sword or a bomb DeDeDe can throw a capsule I believe.

Sheik: gimme a call sometime to get some games in. That goes to anyone who's in the Racine area.
Ill try, but im busy during the week.

chansen

Smash Lord
Yeah, no b-sticking...scrub's gotta have standards too.

also, nobody named after a candy bar...for obvious reasons.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
B-stick???

DDD can in fact do a peach when it comes to items and throw a capusle at any time even if fully off

maybe the item inside will be forced away in tourney play?
We can only hope, the fact that it WAS a smash ball out of the 100 something items is pure BS though...considering capsules have like a 30%+ chance to just blow up.

Quaz

Smash Master
Does b sticking only count when you make the b moves your C stick? because I don't do that (I prefer using my aerials with the C stick)

but I still like to do little wavebounces with lucas while doing pk fire... its become a habit for me, does this mean short hop backwards PK fire would be banned??

Xtra

Smash Ace
wow, all this new terminology is crazy. i have no idea what b-sticking, wavebouncing, or whatever else u guys have been talking about. im so noob...it sucks.

Lethal Beauty

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap. I had no idea there were so many smashers in my hometown!
Someone make a Kenosha smash tourney!

Aura - Kenosha (Pleasant Prairie) and Milwaukee (College) - Toon Link, Zelda, ZSS

Top Bottom