• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

yoshq

Smash Master
another day at the office.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-21-12-brewtown-beatdown-milwaukee-wi-results.153198/

hype.

Every time I play marvel, I feel like there are SO many similar things between melee and umvc3. like tech chasing and reading your opponent. I'm so glad that I played melee first because it has helped me understand the fundamentals in fighting games so much faster.

Shoutout to all melee players!
Melee = winning 30-40 move exchanges throughout the game (less at top level play)...
MVC3 = winning 3ish exchanges.

=melee da bess

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Well you can technically win a match off of 4 exchanges, but it's more likely for there to be at least 3-4 major things per stock. Chaingrabs and autocombos can make that number go down way more though, and things like floaty matches can make it go way up.

If you want your zero to death, play smash64. If you want your 50 million hits a match, play brawl. If you want the middle, play melee.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I think punishment in melee is too guaranteed. It's so boring just watching their DI and executing your way up the combo tree. I would like it more if DI was buffed so that you can't cover so many options.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I think DI is what everyone is globally the worst at in melee, meaning people don't DI correctly or hard enough. I can see why you would think that way though... playing Falco. ;)

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Melee = winning 30-40 move exchanges throughout the game (less at top level play)...
MVC3 = winning 3ish exchanges.

=melee da bess
I agree with the last statement.

in marvel, it's really hard to explain.

if you play peach or sheik, the amount of exchanges SHOULD be 20 or less.

we should have a small smash tournament before our big one in april.

john!

Smash Hero
the exchanges would be less if you play a fastfaller, because they punish very hard and get punished very hard, so every exchange means more damage, which means less exchanges per stock

and melee punishment is not "too guaranteed"; it's less guaranteed than lots of other fighting games and we should be thankful that every player has some degree of control over their character at all times

sanchaz

Smash Lord
and melee punishment is not "too guaranteed"; it's less guaranteed than lots of other fighting games and we should be thankful that every player has some degree of control over their character at all times
I don't like that. melee punishment should be guaranteed every time. if fox shines you, he should be to do max damage or kill you. same with sheiks tech chasing with spacies.

The only difference I see where you would do different combos in smash is to manipulate the persons D.I. which actually happens a lot, but I only see it happen in top play.

I don't understand this "we should be thankful that every player has some degree of control over their character at all times." your happy that people mess up?

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I don't like that. melee punishment should be guaranteed every time. if fox shines you, he should be to do max damage or kill you. same with sheiks tech chasing with spacies.

The only difference I see where you would do different combos in smash is to manipulate the persons D.I. which actually happens a lot, but I only see it happen in top play.

I don't understand this "we should be thankful that every player has some degree of control over their character at all times." your happy that people mess up?
I hope you are not serious....
He's happy that one hit doesn't equal one stock.....
This isn't a traditional 2D fighter, and that's why I love it.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
the good doctor is a ***

shoutout to north dakota for having a scene now. (one person is good enough)

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
john I didn't say always guaranteed I said too guaranteed. yes you have some control over your character but there's way too many situations where it doesn't actually matter. Look at any chaingrab: You can DI however you want, but it's too easy to just read DI and grab, so the fact that you can DI doesn't actually give you any control. This isn't just chaingrabs, combo trees for like half the cast can cover every DI option. Even recovery. Sure spacies can shorten their illusion, or angle the firefox, but there are too many situations where they can just cover every option. It's not all situations, but I think it's way too many.

Buffed DI would make loads more situations into read-required combos, which is what I like about smash: In some cases you can continue the combo if you guess DI/techs correctly. Traditional fighters just have a max combo that you should always do.

Also the chance to drop combos exists in both fighting games and smash, just in smash you have to look at the screen a little bit and instead of just holding your controller while getting combo'd you push directions and tech as if it actually mattered.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Chaingrabs seem to be the only outlier in your qualms because imo SDI is hardly cracked past the surface, or even understanding optimal DI/tech options in every situation. If people DI Falco's shine hard enough, his only followup could potentially be a tech chase or a reshine before they hit the ground. Falco/Fox have the most combo tree like options anyways because of shine. Of course there are percents where it's either DI out and die from a move/get edgeguarded, or eat a combo finisher i.e knee,marth dair/tipper,falco dair etc... but think of those more like your character being at the end of their life bar. That stock is done no matter what. I honestly can't think of any combo not involving a chain grab that is that guaranteed from 0-death. THAT, imo, is what makes melee still interesting... it's that improvisation and reading comprehension required in order to 0-death.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Buffed DI would make loads more situations into read-required combos, which is what I like about smash: In some cases you can continue the combo if you guess DI/techs correctly. Traditional fighters just have a max combo that you should always do.

Also the chance to drop combos exists in both fighting games and smash, just in smash you have to look at the screen a little bit and instead of just holding your controller while getting combo'd you push directions and tech as if it actually mattered.
stop making assumptions of what you do in fighting games. this is not the case for streetfighter and I know for a fact in marvel.

john!

Smash Hero
top players drop combos all the time. frank, i know you can combo the **** out of everyone in madison, but that's because we suck at DI and escaping combos. i don't think you would have as much success trying to combo top players.

yes, there are a lot of things that are "guaranteed" in this game, but most of them require inhuman "action replay" reflexes. chaingrabs are the only combos that are easy, guaranteed, and do decent damage, but they are mitigated by platforms and slight variations on DI to make your opponent guess which way they need to grab

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I guess I don't think it NEEDS to be buffed, but I think I would enjoy smash more if it were. I like what it adds currently, but I think it would make it more interesting if it were better.

SDI is the business though.

Sanchaz it would help me if you explained. Once you confirm a combo starter in marvel, It seems likely that you can get a kill off of it, and if you can it's just tech skill demo. I know you have to account for meter, exchanges, whether you want to snap a character in, to xfactor or not, or to end your combo early to go for a reset. SF looks like damage is much lower but combos grant great positional advantage while you look for the next hit. But at the end of the day, bread and butter combos are there for a reason.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Sanchaz it would help me if you explained. Once you confirm a combo starter in marvel, It seems likely that you can get a kill off of it, and if you can it's just tech skill demo. I know you have to account for meter, exchanges, whether you want to snap a character in, to xfactor or not, or to end your combo early to go for a reset. SF looks like damage is much lower but combos grant great positional advantage while you look for the next hit. But at the end of the day, bread and butter combos are there for a reason.
:urg: I actually started to type up a long response, but I think it would be better if you ask me in person. umvc3 is a great game, even though you can lose pretty much at ANYTIME.

Street fighter is a HARD GAME. I'm not sure how to explain this one, but it's also a great game, 9/10. I think orly would be able to explain this better then me, I'll ask madwak as well. I was convinced last major that this was just as hard as melee.

i recommend if you get a ps3 or xbox360 is to purchase street fighter, and I'll let you borrow marvel.

You can't have an opinion until you've played it.

ORLY

Smash Master
I always liked SF because it has room for reads but also lends itself to spacing and reaction above all things. It teaches good decision making (like holy **** don't jump so much) and tight execution with 1-frame link combos.

Frank is right in the sense that there are BnB combos, but that's only because one combo is very effective, easy to do, and any alternatives would be not worth the opener. I can't tell you guys how many times I've done E. Ryu's dive kick, cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.MP, L tetsu, H shoryuken. That being said, there's still a lot of room for fun combos, assuming you have the super meter for it! This is one of my favorites: j.HK, st.HP, M axe kick, cr.MP, L tetsu, L shoryuken, FADC, EX red fireball, ult 1. It's so MUCH FIRE!

Also: since there are no 0-deaths in SF due to damage scaling, you have to eventually reset and get another opener from neutral position. That's where your room for reads comes in. Will they dash back after this get up? Will they teleport? Wake up shoryuken? Block high? Block low? THE POSSIBILITIES.

Personally, I don't think you'd enjoy Street Fighter beyond casual play, FrootLoop, but I've been wrong before! Overheads, wake-up pressure, safe jumps, block strings, etc., etc. Frank could be a devastating SF player if he wanted to be, methinks.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
lol deal
also I ran into alex on state street today, he said he would try to come on thursday
we seriously need to work on his sheik.

however, he did kurged me.......

Mundungu/18spikes: I'm looking for a lagless capture card, and wire splitters to record stuff from my ps3 to the computer. do you guys have any recommendations on what I should look for?

ORLY

Smash Master
if alex comes to SttF with you guys, (assuming you're all going [which you totally should]) we have quite a few sheik players he can learn from

.. so many sheiks

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
we seriously need to work on his sheik.

however, he did kurged me.......

Mundungu/18spikes: I'm looking for a lagless capture card, and wire splitters to record stuff from my ps3 to the computer. do you guys have any recommendations on what I should look for?
lagless cap card doesn't exist, but if you get some splitters you should be fine. I use a Dazzle

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Does anyone with a car want to go to Chicago?

And it's "curg."
I'm usually in Wisconsin when I'm working, so if anyone wants to be picked up and housed for at least Friday night let me know. Not volunteering ORLY, but he usually has room and I have room for 2.

I would be driving you back most likely Saturday night, depending on how I feel. I would also require gas money TBD.

Note- I won't know for sure until Friday, so don't bank on it. PM me if interested.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
not gonna like I don't know exactly what you're offering besides housing
If by some mysterious powers you are going to be going near madison I'd definitely pitch in for a ride

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
not gonna like I don't know exactly what you're offering besides housing
If by some mysterious powers you are going to be going near madison I'd definitely pitch in for a ride
Lately I've been going to Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee, and West Allis.
I just figured the more people the merrier.

ORLY

Smash Master
Wow jeff comin' through for a mad-town in need

And yes I can house anyone that needs it.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
lagless cap card doesn't exist, but if you get some splitters you should be fine. I use a Dazzle
this is the dazzle I'm buying:

http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dp...BB73AD933EC4?emOmni=null&source=MWBGOOGLEBASE

Why are their dazzles that go up to $140???? The reviews say the one I'm getting is great, but do dazzles have a difference in quality?

Where can I find a quality mike for commentating stuff.

and just a quick question, can I get any kind of splitter cables and be fine? (I'm a technology noob)

ROFL. check out the playlist for the falcon gx game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_dAzBvWLJg&feature=BFa&list=PL40D82915C2F2BA2C&lf=results_video

Top Bottom