• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Regardless of the outcome, I'm sure I will still be happy to finally be playing as Pit in a Smash game.

That being said, this roster sucks. There are no surprises left to be unlocked. At all. I assumed the whole point of unlocking things was to get the really really cool stuff. But it seems there's no real point to that at all. It's just filling in gaps, and nothing more.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The only reason people don't want to believe that the 35 roster is real is because all of the good characters are people we already know about. Imagine if we had no idea that Snake and Sonic were going to be in the game and then this roster leaked out. Everyone would think it was the greatest roster ever. But because we've known about Snake, Sonic, P. Trainer, Diddy, and all the other cool characters for so long now people keep think there's going to be a character that lives up to or tops all of them.

The fact of the matter is that whether the 35 roster is real or not, we get a game were Mario can face off against Sonic for the first time ever(that stupid Olympics game doesn't count), we get to play as Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard all in one character, we get to create our own stages, we get a single player mode with enough depth to be its own game entirely, and to top it all off we can play as Solid Snake for God's sake. If all of that(or even any of it) would have leaked out before it was officially announced no one would have believed it. Everyone would have thought it was too good to be true. And yet we have all of that and some people still aren't happy.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
But lets say this roster was real (I know it's not). Then Sakurai would have made a roster that is both lacking in females and 3rd party characters. I mean just Snake and Sonic? I thought they were going to announce two more?
Sakurai said that he will put 1-2 more third-party characters at most, and never said he wanted more female characters .

:dizzy:

Black/Light

Smash Master
I haven't posted here in awhile, but this is where I'd like to jump in. I'm not sure where this started, but there's now a wave of people painting guys like Reno and MarkMan as the devil. The mentality here is that if your favorite character didn't make the roster (nevermind that some of your other favorite characters probably did) then the guys who leaked the roster must have done it so they can point and laugh at you.

Never mind the sheer audacity of this being some sort of internet wide conspiracy, when multiple independant sources have provided evidance that contributed to this roster (The ONLY reason Mark and Reno were able to confirm the 35 roster is because the information had already been leaked). The assault on these guys' character when you've clearly never read any of their posts is appalling. Reno has an approx. 10 year history posting at GAF. Not only is he an informative and well behaved poster who's been known to keep cool in even the most heated arguements, but he's also developed a respectable reputation as the go to guy on ANYTHING fighting game related. Note that he has the tag "I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!". Getting a tag is very hard on GAF, and most of the folks who do earn tags, get them for something embarassing. Reno's, however, is good.

So, maybe he's in on this with the mods or something? I doubt it. Not only has he been told false leaks will result in a permaban (throwing away a 10 year history to rile up smashboards would be questionable) but he's also a fan of Smash Bros! GAF's fighter fans are notoriously hostile to the kiddypartymascot game which masquerades as a "real" fighter. Yet Reno, GAF's foremost expert on the genre, defends the game and its fans from that sort of ignorance. Why? because he respects the game's design and what it means for fighters as a whole! And he respects the fans who have recognized this! What reason would he have to throw these same people for a loop?
. . .I would sig this if I could. Best post for the NeoGaF Reno's cred I have every seen.

Oh, and if this is a prank than I still want to know why the hell Japanese people would make the "prank" vid that fits and looks exactly as these leakers on English forums are cailming it to look.:ohwell:
(I wouldn't thin they would take our rumors and leaks as much seeing as it's being made and sold there first)

35forlife

Smash Rookie
...Ah, SmashBoards, you're lack of intelligence really is as funny as I would imagine.

The 35 character list hasn't been proven false, no matter how hard you wish it has. There's no concrete evidence, and, no, ROB being an enemy doesn't count, because there's quite the variety of reasons around that little fact.

I don't even see the problem with this list. I mean, you all are complaining about how there aren't enough new characters there, when you've already got quite a few announced to you already. I imagine if none of the new characters had been revealed until now, you'd find that this roster was the most awesome thing ever. But because of the Dojo, you've been spoiled, and you believe that every character should be new, and that there should be 50+ characters, and that every single character mentioned on this board, from ones that might actually make sense, like Krystal, to ones that make no sense at all, like Issac (really, I don't get the love for this guy, who decided that Nintendo would bring someone from a GBA RPG that hasn't had a sequel in years into the game as opposed to someone like ROB, who has history, and has been in a game in the past 2 years), should be in the game. I love the 35 roster, and I think ROB will be a unique character to play as.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I gotta agree on this one. A few characters like Megaman not getting in would make sense, because his popularity wasn't really there till after Sonic came, then he rode on Sonic's coat tails. But not only did Krystal score high, she has also been popular from day one and Sakurai specifically asked if people would like her. I mean the only good thing about the 35 char roster is that it adds Wolf. ROB would frankly be a crappy character choice. And don't give me the Game and Watch BS. Game and Watch makes sense if you have any common history of Nintendo, he represents more than just a game, he represents a entire line of handhelds. ROB would represent what?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
. . .I would sig this if I could. Best post for the NeoGaF Reno's cred I have every seen.

Oh, and if this is a prank than I still want to know why the hell Japanese people would make the "prank" vid that fits and looks exactly as these leakers on English forums are cailming it to look.:ohwell:
(I wouldn't thin they would take our rumors and leaks as much seeing as it's being made and sold there first)
So they have 10 years of cred eh? How come few people have even heard of NeoGAF until this point? Where were they during Melee leaks and what were their stances? How come no one has said anything like "well, when we get a leak from this place called neoGAF that will be enough for many peoploe to start putting their faith in it"?

Sure the internet is filled with ignorance, and obviously so am I. The 35 roster may be true. Those two guys may be true. Or they may not be, and obviously a mod is on their side to issue them leniency should they be mistaken or outright lying. I dunno anymore.

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices? ????? Are you kidding me?? So Pit, Wario, Ike, Diddy, Metaknight, Sonic and Olimar are unpopular characters? He already got the most popular ones in.

Montmorency

Smash Rookie
Because it's from 2chan, genius. It's only slightly better than 4chan, and that's not really saying much.

Anything from 2chan or 4chan is BS, end of story

Why would someone believe anything from those sites in the first place.........

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
So yea, I believe the 35 character roster is real. Why would he ignore fan favs? Maybe he has more tricks up his sleeve than we know? Maybe he wanted to change some vets soo much that they became something along the lines of new characters. Hell, something gives me a odd feeling that he might pull a Ness/ Zelda on Falco/ Wolf and have one of them use the staff to be more unique. (Why not add her in that case? IDK but the same thing has happened before when there wasn't enuff to make a character unique.)
First of all...That's a bunch of baloney. No one's predictions have been right all along. This is fake, and I'm going to believe it until we have something concrete not a bunch of crap people have been making up all along.

And in response to this quote above, where the heck have you been? Have you seen the returning vets? No, they haven't been changed dramatically. You must have missed Samurai Panda's rant about how almost all of the returning characters have retained their exact special moves from Melee.

Not only that, but the character additions are ridiculous. "Yeah, may he only had time to..." to do what? This game has been in the making for about 3 years at least. They've delayed it numerous times...all with the promise to make it better. What in the world would they do all that only to pull the same lame crap they did in Melee? They may as well had rushed it and released it a year and a half ago. Why take the extra time and do nothing with it? And don't give me garbage about SSE and other modes...everyone knows that the characters and stages are all that really matter (with the former being more important). Yeah, let's spend two years developing game modes and Assist Trophies and Pokeballs, but rush the character roster just like we did last time. Good idea.

I only have one thing to quote from Sakurai...may not be exact, but:

"Adding only popular characters doesn't excite me."

Get over it. If Ridley or Krystal or whoever didn't get in, so be it. Just because your favourite character didn't make it, doesn't mean the roster is poor or the game is going to suck. And for those of you who say Krystal would have more of a unique moveset because she has a staff...how in the world do you know how Wolf is going to play?
Yeah, exactly. But you missed what I said earlier. HE DIDN'T EVEN ADD THE CHARACTERS THAT EXCITED HIM. What? You think Wolf and WW Link and R.O.B. were the other characters that excited him? I seem to recall him being excited by Diddy/Dixie duo, Demiru, Krystal, Geno, etc. None of that is included. Oh, and Lucario is the other "popular" choice. So that doesn't hold any water whatsoever.

So you get over it. It's a fake. We've yet to see any concrete evidence yet!

I only have one thing to quote from Sakurai...may not be exact, but:

"Adding only popular characters doesn't excite me."

Get over it. If Ridley or Krystal or whoever didn't get in, so be it. Just because your favourite character didn't make it, doesn't mean the roster is poor or the game is going to suck. And for those of you who say Krystal would have more of a unique moveset because she has a staff...how in the world do you know how Wolf is going to play?
"Disconfirm" isn't a word, and I wasn't talking about that anyway if you actually read what I wrote. I said that this roster doesn't meet any of the criteria you would follow for including a character: Popularity, exciting Sakurai, unique characters, etc. It has mundane additions that wouldn't please anyone other than those who already had all of their favorites included on the DOJO.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices? ????? Are you kidding me?? So Pit, Wario, Ike, Diddy, Metaknight, Sonic and Olimar are unpopular characters? He already got the most popular ones in.
There is a difference between popular and most popular...

silver777

Smash Champion
that was Mario and the NES.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Please read..

the toy retailers which controlled consumers’ access to games had concluded that video games were a fad, the fad was over, and that the shelf space should be reassigned to different products. This led to many retailers refusing to have anything to do with video games for several years. This was the most formidable barrier that Nintendo ran up against when trying to market the US-branded Famicom in the US. This opposition to video games by retailers was directly responsible for causing Nintendo to make such changes as calling the system an “Entertainment System” rather than “console,” using terms like “control deck” and “Game Pak,” as well as including a toy robot called ROB to convince toy retailers to allow it in their stores.

The 35 roster is crap. The roster would probably end up at an even 40ish.
Secondly, Sakurai looks at the polls obviously because Sonic AND Lucas was included. Lucas wouldn't have made it if his popularity wasn't high in Japan and Sonic had no way in heck unless he was popular in both the U.S and Japan. So the polls do matter.
The reason he might not include them? If they aren't a figurehead, icon, or a recognizable figure. If they feel generic (e.g Little Mac, Stafy, etc.). That is why some characters aren't included and some just because GOOD movesets are difficult to make.
That's my two cents on it.

Black/Light

Smash Master
So they have 10 years of cred eh? How come few people have even heard of NeoGAF until this point? Where were they during Melee leaks and what were their stances? How come no one has said anything like "well, when we get a leak from this place called neoGAF that will be enough for many peoploe to start putting their faith in it"?

Sure the internet is filled with ignorance, and obviously so am I. The 35 roster may be true. Those two guys may be true. Or they may not be, and obviously a mod is on their side to issue them leniency should they be mistaken or outright lying. I dunno anymore.
Wait? "FEW people have ever heard of NeoGAF"???
Thats like one of THE places to go for reliable leaks seeing as it's run by people who are in the Game-ing business (alot of mods there are in the business) and anyone who every makes fake leaks is IP banned and blackListed. Hell, you can't even become a member unless you have a email account that you have to pay for to make sure they don't get "random guy 9" leaking false info from his 5th Yahoo account of something.

And you would have heard of "NeoGAF/ RENO/ MarkMan/ PoD" had you ever been searching for lecks on SC4/ Tekken/ VF5/ CV:poD/ some other stuff I don't know about. They leaked the info there and one (Mark Man) even runs a Tekken web site that leaks stuff. Thats like, assuming Serebii is lieing because your not into pokemon and never heard of Serebii.net.

And just cause people from there didn't leak melee doesn't mean it's some new site to be looked at. These are 3 people who have been proven true in the past and they ALL agree on it. SurferGirl, who is also a famed leaker but has her own blog, also says theres "35-40" characters even though she doesn't know all of them. Never heard of her? Well, many people have.:ohwell:

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
Jeez, what's with the arguments about that 35-character roster? No matter if you believe it or not, just ignore it and wait another week and a half! I find it annoying that everyone is making a big deal about SPECULATION (no matter which you believe if it's real or not). Yeah, this is just getting stupid with these endless arguments.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The 35 roster is crap. The roster would probably end up at an even 40ish.
Secondly, Sakurai looks at the polls obviously because Sonic AND Lucas was included. Lucas wouldn't have made it if his popularity wasn't high in Japan and Sonic had no way in heck unless he was popular in both the U.S and Japan. So the polls do matter.
The reason he might not include them? If they aren't a figurehead, icon, or a recognizable figure. If they feel generic (e.g Little Mac, Stafy, etc.). That is why some characters aren't included and some just because GOOD movesets are difficult to make.
That's my two cents on it.

The funny thing is he "could" think up movesets for ROB, hardware device that barely moves its arms... and couldn't think one for Little Mac, who could turn the little assist robot into scrap metal with nothing but his fists...

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
So they have 10 years of cred eh? How come few people have even heard of NeoGAF until this point? .
you can't be serious about this... :\

But anyway, I realise some of you don't read NeoGAF, and those who only lurk may not be able to review post histories. So I've done some stalking for you. PLease excuse the lack of formatting:

Reno is famous for his knowledges about fighting games, and his close contacts to people who work on them. He regularly provides imformation about fighters, including links. His biggest recent leak was VF5 360 online when Sega was denying it. I'm not going to hunt down the thread, but it will probably register on google. I've only spent about 10 minutes quickly screening recent posts, but here's some relevant stuff:

Reno in the know:

Reno on the Soul Calibur Star Wars characters in early December (they'd have had his head if he actually leaked this):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8837397#post8837397

Reno: I've also heard some stuff about the marketing of the game that just made me roll my eyes in disbelief, but again all of this can change before the game is released

Other: "do you know who the two secret characters are? "

Reno: Yes, and I'm not saying who they are. :p

Reno on Smash (aka why this guy wouldn't lie to you):

Bare in mind that both of these threads are hostile to Smash players. Most fighting gamers on GAF considr Smash a joke, yet Reno stands up to them (I don't think he actually plays much, but he understands why others do)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7851152#post7851152

Reno: i dunno, i consider smash bros more of a real fighting game than soulcalibur 3. :p

I don't get the smash bros hate either. The game is fun, competitively balanced, has a
pretty good community of players, and so on. I got a lot of respect for the smash
series and I know that a lot of other competitive players also believe the game is
worthy of being at Evo, but I guess the ones who just talk the talk but don't walk the
walk are the people who slam it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8753644#post8753644

Reno: FWIW, I don't mind Smash being on a list of top fighting games at all. Smash being that
high on the list is something I don't agree with (I'd put it somewhere around #5 or #6)
but excluding a game like Smash is very short-sighted.

MarkMan (the other leaker) on Smash :

MarkMan : Way more balanced than SC3. lol.

On the Wii (another indication he's no troll):

this is the MOH3 thread, a pit of trolling, irrational hate, and other such nonsense

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8193467#post8193467

Other: "Saying things like it's going to be a "wagglefest" really doesn't show much
objectivity, especially since we know very little about the game right now
."

Reno: Can I quote this for a lot of truth? Can I? I've never used the phrase before but I'd
like to right now. Game on the Wii doesn't equal automatic waggle controls. Get it
through your heads, seriously.

I'm maybe willing to believe Reno has incomplete imformation, but I don't see why he would outright lie

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Read this:

For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number.

So, we will once again struggle to create characters. I cannot promise you anything other than that.”
Two years after Smash64 came out, with at most half of the staff they have now, and no previous engine to work from (i.e., completely redesigning the character models, hitboxes, etc.)...they added 14 characters (yes, 6 were clones), many new (and complex) stages, a few new modes, etc.

I don't buy that with the manpower they have now, the old Melee engine, and 2-3 years of work later...they could only add 16 new characters, especially when some of them are ones like Snake, Zero Suit Samus, and R.O.B...

Note: Don't get on my case for the parts I skipped over. I just wanted to get straight to the point.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
as well as including a toy robot called ROB to convince toy retailers to allow it in their stores.
okay, I'll admit that that helped Nintendo get their consoles in the stores but it didn't bring games being "fun" back to the people if you know what I mean.

Trakor

Smash Rookie
Greetings Smash Fans !

First Post here so dont be too rough :p

Well my opinion on the whole thing is the following ...

I dont dislike a 35 Char - Roster AT ALL.
For all those who think 35 Characters is too less ... think about how many fighting games are right now out there who have all the announced content of Brawl and still have so many Characters.

Still ... the reason why i think that Characters like Young Link , Falco , Wolf dont deserve a spot is part of my main point why i would be so shocked if this was the final roster :

WHERE ON EARTH IS THE ORIGINALITY ???

All of you who tell me that im just sad that my favs didnt get in ... hey maybe your right. But those characters wont be a real revolution in gameplay.

When characters like Pokemon Trainer , Olimar and Diddy got announced , i felt satisfied. Not that i like these characters a lot , but there fighting style is so unique and their look is original that i think nobody really doesnt want them in the game.

So my question is : Why do characters like Crystal , Geno Midna or Ridley , who would be so unique in appearance and fighting style , get bounced out because of guys like Wolf , Falco or even Marth ?

The other thing that is REALLY bugging me is the representation of the characters for their individual franchise. While i think that Mario deserves its 4 Reps , i have no idea how on earth starfox merits as many reps as the Zelda or Mario franchise , while Metroid ( Nintendos 4th most succesful series ) is still only left out with 1 rep.

Dont get me wrong ... ridley is my facourite Character. But that isnt the reason why i would chose him over a starfox rep. My point is that if Metroid doesnt get a rep , the whole harmony of the game will be utterly destroyed. I would like to see a Character selection screen where character slots are equally divided to the different series.

With that said , only one more thing :

Dont you dare to include Rob in this game -.-
And dont you dare compare him to Mr. Game and Watch.
That guy MADE SENCE !
He was one of Nintendos very first creations and is for many of us a symbol whorth remembering just like good old Pacman.

Rob however ... he looks AWFUL , he doesnt come as near as G+W in terms of cult symbol and he jsut ... doesnt fit. At all. Game and Watch made sence and was awesome. Thisguy just suxx a whole lot.

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
Actually, I'm one of the people who cares more about the SSE than the characters and I'm not really going to be online too much because I always play with items. I'm also a person who ignores leakers for the most part, but I agree that if the Markman/Reno roster happen to be true, then they've missed a trick.

I don't actually mind R.O.B though, it's Wolf and the other clone-ish characters. (Ness too; I only think we really need one Mother character). Also, I think that it was always possible for Sakurai to ignore most of the results of the poll, it's not like he was legally bound to listen to us, was he.

Black/Light

Smash Master
First of all...That's a bunch of baloney. No one's predictions have been right all along.
You must not know who Nya is. . .

And in response to this quote above, where the heck have you been? Have you seen the returning vets? No, they haven't been changed dramatically. You must have missed Samurai Panda's rant about how almost all of the returning characters have retained their exact special moves from Melee.
Have you seeeeeennnn ONE melee clone come back as a clone? That is what Im refering too. . .Falco becoming decloned/ Ganon with a friggen sword and dark magic/. . .restarded Toon Link will probly be different this time.

Theres no need to change the originals. . .the CLONES who are coming back is a whole other story.

Not only that, but the character additions are ridiculous. "Yeah, may he only had time to..." to do what? This game has been in the making for about 3 years at least. They've delayed it numerous times...all with the promise to make it better.
MORE reason to believe that with a 35 character roster the clones will be unique and everyone gets their on unique standing.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
When characters like Pokemon Trainer , Olimar and Diddy got announced , i felt satisfied. Not that i like these characters a lot , but there fighting style is so unique and their look is original that i think nobody really doesnt want them in the game.

So my question is : Why do characters like Crystal , Geno Midna or Ridley , who would be so unique in appearance and fighting style , get bounced out because of guys like Wolf , Falco or even Marth ?
Same here. I didn't care about Diddy or PT or Ike or Lucas or even Snake or Sonic for that matter. But, when they were shown on DOJO, I was like...awesome! They had a lot of uniqueness to them. I didn't support any of them, but added something new. I honestly cannot see that with the other few lame additions in the 35 roster.

Also, to everyone who is saying stuff like "you just didn't get your favorite in" well...I'm also saying I don't buy it cuz Krystal, Geno, etc. aren't in. I don't even want them in! But, I expected it. Sakurai was interested in them; he inquired about them. They would add a unique fighting element to the game. I couldn't care less about them personally, but I know they'd be unique...much more so than Wolf, WW Link, R.O.B....heck, even Lucario (no offense).

So yeah, uniqueness is just as important to me as the characters I like (which by the way is almost completely based upon what characters I feel deserve to be in based upon their relative importance, franchise balance, etc.).

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
That roster with ROB was (and thank god!) DEBUNKED, either because of the throphies or the fact that (I think) the one who made it admitted to be fake.

As for the number of characters, I'm still doubtful, 35 is just not enough. It could still have the most popular characters, but some great choices would still be left out.

Hopefully that was fake too.

Greevy

Smash Cadet
I'm just not all that up with this being the roster and fatisumi (I probubly misspelled that) giving it a ten. Regardless of Wolf and R.O.B. (Who I actually think is a good wtf character), the fact Ridley, Krystal, and Geno didn't make it onto this roster just seems... odd. I mean, just think about it for a second, even counting Ludicario and Ness (latter would have been an awesome surprise if no one knew about it beforehand like we all do now) the only other 'new' characters on the list is Wolf and R.O.B. and kinda Young Link. Not counting the veterans which have a 'will they or won't they' factor that's three surprise characters. Three. I know there's the theory guys like Metaknight and Dedede are starters because they're going for the casual gamer and want them to be able to play as the cool characters off the bat but just think about it, Sakurai took this long to reveal Shiek. C. Falcon, I'm assuming, will be announced the day it's released. Will he really include only three (well... lets count it as four since Lucario wasn't supposed to be known) newcomers as unlockables? You may need to refresh my memory but I believe there's only four newcomers on the entire Melee starting roster (Bowser, Peach, Zelda, and Ice Climbers). Finally, and this is totally biased but may actually end up being a good point: I haven't played any Star Fox games. Ever. The closest I got was the microgame in Warioware: Smooth Moves. But why should Star Fox get their third character and first villain in? Yes, maybe its because Sakurai wanted to keep Falco so if he were to add any new character it would give the franchise three representatives, but come on. Metroid has one selectable PC, Where's Ridley? Would two Metroid characters be more fair then three Star Fox? If anything it'd make the roster more diverse. A better point is where's K.Rool. I know Sakurai doesn't seem to like DK, I mean come on we not only didn't get Diddy but we didn't get a trophy of him in Melee (which even back then in middle school I thought was the only injustice in the game). Wolf's uniqueness, from someone outside of SF, is only that he's a villain. He doesn't seem to have a unique moveset potential or anything, in fact the best thing I could think of as a reason to only include him among new characters would be because he's going to be a SSE boss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on him, I don't even really know him, I'm just confused at why out of probubly the three most deserving villains he's the only one to make it in, yet he's the one with the least unique moveset possibility. For god sakes you'd think Sakurai would at least make Ridley a Charizard clone!

silver777

Smash Champion
okay, I'll admit that that helped Nintendo get their consoles in the stores but it didn't bring games being "fun" back to the people if you know what I mean.
I know, but saying he didn't do anything to nintendo is flat out wrong.

Rob however ... he looks AWFUL , he doesnt come as near as G+W in terms of cult symbol and he jsut ... doesnt fit. At all. Game and Watch made sence and was awesome. Thisguy just suxx a whole lot.
Because of people like you i wish R.O.B is in, ROB IS a cult symbol! Why does he appears in cameos then!?!

>=(

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
You know what? Time is not even an issue. This game has been delayed so many times for additions...you simply cannot use that as an argument for why certain characters got in and others didn't.

@Black/Light: Have you seeeeeennnn ONE melee clone come back at all?

Trakor

Smash Rookie
I'm just not all that up with this being the roster and fatisumi (I probubly misspelled that) giving it a ten. Regardless of Wolf and R.O.B. (Who I actually think is a good wtf character), the fact Ridley, Krystal, and Geno didn't make it onto this roster just seems... odd. I mean, just think about it for a second, even counting Ludicario and Ness (latter would have been an awesome surprise if no one knew about it beforehand like we all do now) the only other 'new' characters on the list is Wolf and R.O.B. and kinda Young Link. Not counting the veterans which have a 'will they or won't they' factor that's three surprise characters. Three. I know there's the theory guys like Metaknight and Dedede are starters because they're going for the casual gamer and want them to be able to play as the cool characters off the bat but just think about it, Sakurai took this long to reveal Shiek. C. Falcon, I'm assuming, will be announced the day it's released. Will he really include only three (well... lets count it as four since Lucario wasn't supposed to be known) newcomers as unlockables? You may need to refresh my memory but I believe there's only four newcomers on the entire Melee starting roster (Bowser, Peach, Zelda, and Ice Climbers). Finally, and this is totally biased but may actually end up being a good point: I haven't played any Star Fox games. Ever. The closest I got was the microgame in Warioware: Smooth Moves. But why should Star Fox get their third character and first villain in? Yes, maybe its because Sakurai wanted to keep Falco so if he were to add any new character it would give the franchise three representatives, but come on. Metroid has one selectable PC, Where's Ridley? Would two Metroid characters be more fair then three Star Fox? If anything it'd make the roster more diverse. A better point is where's K.Rool. I know Sakurai doesn't seem to like DK, I mean come on we not only didn't get Diddy but we didn't get a trophy of him in Melee (which even back then in middle school I thought was the only injustice in the game). Wolf's uniqueness, from someone outside of SF, is only that he's a villain. He doesn't seem to have a unique moveset potential or anything, in fact the best thing I could think of as a reason to only include him among new characters would be because he's going to be a SSE boss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on him, I don't even really know him, I'm just confused at why out of probubly the three most deserving villains he's the only one to make it in, yet he's the one with the least unique moveset possibility. For god sakes you'd think Sakurai would at least make Ridley a Charizard clone!
Exactly my point ...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I believe that this is the real roster just because people are reacting to it exactly how they did when the Melee roster was leaked.

I'm not really going to be online too much because I always play with items.
What's that got to do with anything? You can use items online.

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
and? you think you're alone or something? you're the majority, dude.
Well, yeah you're right. I guess the word I was looking for was tournaments. But who knows, maybe there'll be some wifi item tourney's around somewhere. :)

Black/Light

Smash Master
You know what? Time is not even an issue. This game has been delayed so many times for additions...you simply cannot use that as an argument for why certain characters got in and others didn't.

@Black/Light: Have you seeeeeennnn ONE melee clone come back at all?
Some characters got in and other didn't because the devs chose to make some and not others. There. . .that is the only reason needed. Thats part of what Sakurai said in the interveiw resently.

And if you think Ganon aint coming back you are off your lil rocker:ohwell:

Anyway, I was refering to the 35 character roster which has WW Link (toon Y Link)/ Ganon/ Falco in it. If this roster is true than I can bet you dimes to donuts that they have unique move-sets now. 2 years and something odd months and he just brings back clones to be "model change" characters again with only 35 characters well dropping Mew2. . .yeah, that seems really likely.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Greetings Smash Fans !

First Post here so dont be too rough :p

Well my opinion on the whole thing is the following ...

I dont dislike a 35 Char - Roster AT ALL.
For all those who think 35 Characters is too less ... think about how many fighting games are right now out there who have all the announced content of Brawl and still have so many Characters.

Still ... the reason why i think that Characters like Young Link , Falco , Wolf dont deserve a spot is part of my main point why i would be so shocked if this was the final roster :

WHERE ON EARTH IS THE ORIGINALITY ???

All of you who tell me that im just sad that my favs didnt get in ... hey maybe your right. But those characters wont be a real revolution in gameplay.

The other thing that is REALLY bugging me is the representation of the characters for their individual franchise. While i think that Mario deserves its 4 Reps , i have no idea how on earth starfox merits as many reps as the Zelda or Mario franchise , while Metroid ( Nintendos 4th most succesful series ) is still only left out with 1 rep.

Dont get me wrong ... ridley is my facourite Character. But that isnt the reason why i would chose him over a starfox rep. My point is that if Metroid doesnt get a rep , the whole harmony of the game will be utterly destroyed. I would like to see a Character selection screen where character slots are equally divided to the different series.

With that said , only one more thing :

Dont you dare to include Rob in this game -.-
And dont you dare compare him to Mr. Game and Watch.
That guy MADE SENCE !
He was one of Nintendos very first creations and is for many of us a symbol whorth remembering just like good old Pacman.

This was great.

The reason why the 35 roster is fake is because there is not a drop of originality on the hidden characters. Where is the Pt or Captian Olmiar of the unlockables? This is why people need to stop making a fuss over this roster.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
One Final Comment:

Wikipedia/Johnknight1]Franchises List of franchises with more than 10 million units sold. [COLOR="DarkOrchid said:

1. Mario (193 million)[139]

2. Pokémon (155 million)[139][/COLOR]
3. The Sims (90 million)[99]
4. Final Fantasy (75 million)[140]
5. Tetris (60 million)[141]
6. Madden NFL (60 million)[142]
7. The Legend of Zelda (52 million)[143]
8. Grand Theft Auto (50 million)[144]
9. Donkey Kong (48 million)[144][139]
10. Gran Turismo (47 million)[145]
11. Sonic the Hedgehog (44 million)[146]
12. Lineage (43 million)[144]
13. Dragon Quest (41 million)[147]
14. Crash Bandicoot (34 million)[100]
15. Tomb Raider (32 million)[148]
16. Resident Evil (31 million)[149]
17. James Bond (30 million)[150]
18. Mega Man (27 million)[149]
19. Medal of Honor (27 million)[151]
20. Command & Conquer (25 million)[152]
21. Street Fighter (25 million)[149]
22. Mortal Kombat (20 million)[153]
23. Castlevania (20 million)[154]
24. Tekken (20 million)[155]
25. Frogger (20 million)[156]
26. Metal Gear (20 million)[157]
27. Warcraft (19 million)[100][144]
28. Rayman (18.5 million)[158]
29. Spyro the Dragon (17 million)[100]
30. Winning Eleven (17 million)[159]
31. Diablo (17 million)[100]
32. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (17 million)[158]
33. SimCity (17 million)[160]
34. Age of Empires (16 million)[161]
35. Half-Life (16 million)[162]
36. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (15 million)[158]
37. Need for Speed Underground (15 million)[163]
38. Nintendogs (14.79 million)[50]
39. Halo (14.7 million)[164]
40. Driver (14 million)[165]
41. Disney series (13.2 million)[166]
42. Metroid (13 million)[139]
43. Wii Series (12.81 million)[50]
44. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (12 million)[158]
45. Myst (11 million)[158]
46. Super Smash Bros. (10.89 million approximately)[33][28][41]
47. Lord of the Rings (10 million)[167]
48. Dragon Ball Z (10 million)[168]
49. Ace Combat (10 million)[169]
50. Kingdom Hearts (10 million shipped)[56]
Take a notice of those in bold. Look where Metroid is. Where is Star Fox on the list? Hmm...

(P.S. lawl, Nintendogs sold more copies than Halo)

I believe that this is the real roster just because people are reacting to it exactly how they did when the Melee roster was leaked.
Translation: Everyone hates it so it must be real. I'm glad they took that extra two years...

Top Bottom