• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices?

It makes more sense for literally no reason. At what point is it necessarily more logical? The 35 roster became accepted because three different people - sp0rsk, Markman, and Reno - support it. Not the specific roster, but the 35 character/41 stage count.

Black/Light

Smash Master
It makes more sense for literally no reason. At what point is it necessarily more logical? The 35 roster became accepted because three different people - sp0rsk, Markman, and Reno - support it. Not the specific roster, but the 35 character/41 stage count.
Well, they also all agree with the roster as well. PoD/ Reno confirmed the roster that CB tied together from all the other reliable leakers and markman/spOrsk confirmed (or stated) that Reno/ PoD was telling the truth.

There is just a overwhelming amount of things backing this up. Really, has anything else gotten this much attention? Any other fake made people b*** and moan this much? This is exactly how I would think a REAL roster leak would be welcomed.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
People really need to stop comparing Brawl to Melee. If Brawl was just like Melee, I wouldn't buy it. They've had more than enough time to do everything they can with this game. There's no excuse to leave things out that should have been in Melee in the first place (including Ridley).

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Granted, I want all those characters in. But some of the new characters (Olimar, Sonic, Meta, Pit, Wario, etc) are the ones people were clamoring about for 6 years. Characters that have gotten popular since Brawl's announcement should really be considered candidates for the next game.
There's a difference;
Wario, Olimar, etc. should be in Brawl because they represent their franchises as the protagonists, not because they're popular.
Krystal, Geno, etc. should be in because they're popular, whether they represent their franchises or not.

All in all, this roster looks more of what Melee should have been, rather than what Brawl would.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people assume things like Ridley, etc. are such impossible dreams. He is like one of the bare minimum characters like Meta Knight or Dedede. He isn't some pipe dream. Sure I have a dream roster, and I realize that every character wouldn't get on it. But in reality, almost all of my desired characters are characters that should get in either because of their relative importance, franchise balancing, etc. I don't have some crazy off-the-wall wanted character.
It works both ways.

Is "Sakurai flat out didn't give a crap" or "Sakurai is thinking about the Japanese audience where Metroid isn't as big" or perhaps even "these characters just didn't work as playables" really such an impossible dream? I think it's crap, but that's always possible.

Maybe he DID think Ridley was unwieldly as a playable regardless of the debates from either side and cut him. I mean, really. All other franchises besides Metroid are accounted for just fine in having a strong protagonist/antagonist role. Most people are angry that certain franchises aren't in (Isaac) or that an overkill of extra characters isn't added in to an already very extensive list We don't need Krystal if we're potentially getting Wolf, Falco, and Fox. It's overkill. We don't need Geno to add to Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach. That's nearing overkill as well. We don't need Midna to add to Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and possibly Toon/Young Link if the leak is true.

The only complaints I sympathize with at all are those who wanted Ridley, since Metroid's the only clear under-represented returning franchise here (F-Zero not withstanding, I'll get to that later). No, we're not counting WarioWare with its extensive roster of minor characters with no real battle "flavor" beyond maybe Ashley. We're not counting Animal Crossing with its very hazy chances of ever having a playable PC, period, for now. As far as any of the franchises that got shafted here, there's only Metroid and F-Zero, the latter being a game involving racing. There's an anime of it, but how much can you really work with? This is a celebration of gaming, not anime. Falcon's moveset really pushes it as it is for the inclusion of a racing character in a fighting game.

Not only that, but I get tired of people saying stuff like "be glad Snake and Sonic at least got in..." or any number of other characters, like I give a rip about them...they just make the selections for this roster even more absurd. Random non-Nintendo character? Check. Duplicate protagonists who had a total of 3 games in their series? Check. Redundant characters in a lesser franchise? Check. Boring/uninspired newcomers? Check. Most important franchise(s) properly under-representated (relatively) check.
But many other people do give a rip about them. Sonic was the most clamored for character. Many people were excited about his addition. There were mark-outs abound for his inclusion. It really lessened the blunt hit of the first delay when he was announced in the same week.

Again, you're really pushing it for overkill on certain franchises. Of course they want obscure newcomers. They want to add franchises to this game or pay homage to certain points of gaming history (Pit, R.O.B maybe, and of course G&W). They want to create longevity for future franchises and cross-promote, half the reason you make a crossover in any medium in the first place. That's the entire reason Roy was in Melee, for god's sake. That's why we have a metric holy-god-ton of ATs on top of it. It's just one giant fan wet dream that didn't play out EXACTLY as you planned it, so you're complaining. But there's still a solid roster, you're just focusing on what you don't like.

By the time they added Midna, Zant, Ridley, Krystal, Claus, Black Shadow, Geno, and K. Rool for your pleasure, there'd be another chucklehead complaining that Vaati, Mona, Mace night, Vamp, Arceus, Kiddy Kong, and the McChicken sandwich aren't playable. The guy with Chuck Norris and Cheeseburger for Brawl icons in his sig (forgetting who) isn't far off from the truth. People entered this game with expectations too high because they simply don't comprehend the idea of disc space, development time, development resources (OMG 700 PEOPLE MEANS 700 CHARACTERS, MIRITE?), and how game design even functions.

You're telling me, for example (and not limited to), Pit, Wario, Meta Knight, Dedede, Olimar, and Lucario are ALL boring to you? Every single last one of them?

Jesus Christ, why are you even a gamer if your parade is rained on that easily? I can only imagine how upset you were at Melee, and I'd bet my soul you own a copy of that and still play it.

I can only say that a true new Metroid rep and Mewtwo's removal are the only major things that stand out in my mind as true, full-fledged disappointments, because they flat out ignored something easily considered lacking, and completely removed a non-clone character for seemingly no plausible reason.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
You act as if the characters are the only thing that require effort to make.
No, but they're probably the ones that require the most.
Effort or no effort, they're what should be placed above everything else. After all, this game is popular because of it's multiplayer..

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
You act as if the characters are the only thing that require effort to make.
Not sure if you were talking to me.

If you were, you're preaching to the choir, since that's exactly what I'm kind of trying to get at (as evidenced, I hope, with "LOL 700 PEOPLE = 700 CHARACTERS, MIRITE?").

Straight up, game design is not that effing simple and everyone is discounting the paired "leak" of 41 stages, and pretty much confirmation of a stupidly high amount of assist trophies, normal trophies, the SSE arc, whatever new combat mechanics, etc.

In short, 35 is plenty, and likely. If you split up transformations it's 39 anyway (which we know Sakurai would totally count it as in his silly, overly excited PR spin way), which nears the estimate of "around 40 strong" or some crap. Stop b*tching, even if Metroid of F-Zero's under-represented. This will be a good game.

No, but they're probably the ones that require the most.
Effort or no effort, they're what should be placed above everything else. After all, this game is popular because of it's multiplayer..
I read that as, mostly, "I only give a **** about multiplayer so it should be the only factor here." No, wait, I'm not seeing things. That's the blatant subtext here.

See, regardless of this being a game for fans, these people wake up every freaking day and need to work on it. People typically pursue a career choice that they ENJOY, ergo, they're going to want to create a game that appeals to them in a sense as well, that they would enjoy creating as well as testing, playing, fine-tuning. How good would a first person shooter be if made by someone who despised every genre besides slow paced point and click adventure games (the amusing idea from Zero Punctuation of snipers being pretty much the same mechanic as that notwithstanding).

And lo and behold, Sakurai always wanted a single-player game out of the SSB, and now it exists in this one. Fancy that, right?

He wanted cameos from franchises that wouldn't be playable. Hey, we got that too. Imagine that.

He likes to pay homage to crap, hence interspersing not as popular characters like Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, and dare I say it, possibly R.O.B.

Difficult game to make is DIFFICULT TO MAKE.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Is "Sakurai flat out didn't give a crap" or "Sakurai is thinking about the Japanese audience where Metroid isn't as big" or perhaps even "these characters just didn't work as playables" really such an impossible dream? I think it's crap, but that's always possible.
Japan wants Ridley. That's enough reason to put him in.

Maybe he DID think Ridley was unwieldly as a playable regardless of the debates from either side and cut him. I mean, really. All other franchises besides Metroid are accounted for just fine in having a strong protagonist/antagonist role. Most people are angry that certain franchises aren't in (Isaac) or that an overkill of extra characters isn't added in to an already very extensive list We don't need Krystal if we're potentially getting Wolf, Falco, and Fox. It's overkill. We don't need Geno to add to Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach. That's nearing overkill as well. We don't need Midna to add to Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and possibly Toon/Young Link if the leak is true.
Sakurai think Ridley too unwieldy? Yeah, right. And Olimar is the simplest character in the world to program...

Also, Starfox is a terrible franchise that doesn't sell well at all. Metroid is in the top 50 of all franchise types in the world. The rep for this roster is horrible.

As far as any of the franchises that got shafted here, there's only Metroid and F-Zero, the latter being a game involving racing. There's an anime of it, but how much can you really work with? This is a celebration of gaming, not anime. Falcon's moveset really pushes it as it is for the inclusion of a racing character in a fighting game.
I agree, by the way. If Mother (having only three games ever) can have to reps (both having the same role, btw)...Surely F-Zero can have two, seeing how their are like 8 games or something for the series, and there was a popular anime in Japan as well.

But many other people do give a rip about them. Sonic was the most clamored for character. Many people were excited about his addition. There were mark-outs abound for his inclusion. It really lessened the blunt hit of the first delay when he was announced in the same week.
Sonic isn't even a Nintendo character, clamored for or not. All necessary Nintendo characters (that means bare-minimum, franchise important characters) should be in before any 3rd party character.

Again, you're really pushing it for overkill on certain franchises. Of course they want obscure newcomers. They want to add franchises to this game or pay homage to certain points of gaming history (Pit, R.O.B maybe, and of course G&W). They want to create longevity for future franchises and cross-promote, half the reason you make a crossover in any medium in the first place. That's the entire reason Roy was in Melee, for god's sake. That's why we have a metric holy-god-ton of ATs on top of it. It's just one giant fan wet dream that didn't play out EXACTLY as you planned it, so you're complaining. But there's still a solid roster, you're just focusing on what you don't like.
I'm all for obscure newcomers, but...R.O.B.? There are plenty of other better obscure characters (Demiru for one, whom I kinda warmed up to). And I'm not pushing overkill for franchises, but that's already present with this supposed 35 roster. It's ill-balanced. And you speak of longevity...what better way than to make a roster that has more than 35? Include as many playables as possible. Limited yourself like that limits the longevity.

And where exactly are you pulling this from? You are very presumptuous. Who ever said I'm complaining because I didn't get it exactly as I wanted? You have no idea what I want. I'm saying this roster is ridiculous no matter who you are, no matter what standard you use for what characters should get in. The roster is not solid; there are plenty of holes in it. And I'm focusing on what I don't like because they've had enough time to make it how it should be that I have every right to complain if it's crapped up like Melee was at the end.

By the time they added Midna, Zant, Ridley, Krystal, Claus, Black Shadow, Geno, and K. Rool for your pleasure, there'd be another chucklehead complaining that Vaati, Mona, Mace night, Vamp, Arceus, Kiddy Kong, and the McChicken sandwich aren't playable. The guy with Chuck Norris and Cheeseburger for Brawl icons in his sig (forgetting who) isn't far off from the truth. People entered this game with expectations too high because they simply don't comprehend the idea of disc space, development time, development resources (OMG 700 PEOPLE MEANS 700 CHARACTERS, MIRITE?), and how game design even functions.
And see? This is where you're putting words in my mouth. Who said I wanted crap characters like that? Ridley, sure, but he's so obvious, any 3-year-old could recognize he should be in. The others...what the crap? Who said I wanted any of them?

And I'll say it again LIMITATIONS SUCH AS TIME AND RESOURCES ARE MOOT. The amount of time and resources, delay, money that's gone into this, etc. etc. means it should live up to EVERYONE'S expectations.

You're telling me, for example (and not limited to), Pit, Wario, Meta Knight, Dedede, Olimar, and Lucario are ALL boring to you? Every single last one of them?
No, I wanted MK, D3, and Olimar. Lucario is boring to me. But why limit us to those? Why not have more unique characters? Personally, I'd rather have a roster of 30 than include characters like Ness (w/ Lucas), WW Link, Snake and Wolf, Lucario, and R.O.B....

Jesus Christ, why are you even a gamer if your parade is rained on that easily? I can only imagine how upset you were at Melee, and I'd bet my soul you own a copy of that and still play it.
That is a really really silly thing to say. As I said, Brawl has had more than enough support to be everything Melee should have been and more. Sure I play Melee, but why do I want another Melee to play? If Brawl were just Melee rehashed...there'd be no sense in buying it. Just keep playing the old one.

I can only say that a true new Metroid rep and Mewtwo's removal are the only major things that stand out in my mind as true, full-fledged disappointments, because they flat out ignored something easily considered lacking, and completely removed a non-clone character for seemingly no plausible reason.
"Oh, stop looking at the negatives!!1one"

This is my point. Not enough thought went into this roster, real or not. And personally, I believe Sakurai would do better than that, and thus I think this is fake. Thank you. Good night.

EDIT: Everyone needs to stop acting like 35 is so much, too. PT was his choice (and isn't 3 separate chars); I didn't want a Zamus transformation or a Sheik transformation or 3rd parties, whatever. But they're in. So it's 35. And 35 with this roster doesn't cut it.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
There's no way I'm going to believe a sub par roster like that unless I see a japanese confirmation of it after it comes out. You're not going to tell me they added an awesome story mode with an rpg element, a stage creator with lots of options, screenshots and videos, online support, *BALANCED F***ING GAMEPLAY*, a huge amount of content, and new physics, and they couldn't do better than *that* for the roster? I don't care if a prophet GUESSED this crap right, I'd still be pissed at them for confirming something so dissappointing.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I read that as, mostly, "I only give a **** about multiplayer so it should be the only factor here." No, wait, I'm not seeing things. That's the blatant subtext here.
Uh, excuse me?
I totally LOVED the idea of SSBB having a plot and a decent single player. I was shifting happily in my seat when I found it out because I thought it was awesome and that it would make me enjoy the game much more, and I still can't wait what Sakurai has in stock for it. I am one of the bigger supporters of it. If anything, I'm not big on multi-player because I don't have many people to play with. However, that doesn't mean that multi-player must be neglected for single player, considering that it is pretty much fact this game sells because of multi-player.

Also, don't give me that crap of "difficult to make," we're talking about frackin' NINTENDO here, which is one of the most successful companies EVER.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Japan wants Ridley. That's enough reason to put him in.
Oh snap, the whole country at the same time? I wanna be plugged into a hive-mind mainframe too!

Kidding aside, Sakurai in his usually zany way can so easily say "WELL WE THOUGHT RIDLEY WOULD BE A GOOD PLAYABLE CHARACTER BUT IN THE END WE THOUGHT HE FUNCTIONED BEST AS A BOSS. ^_^ EPIC UPDATE. UP UNTIL NOW. YOU MUST RECOVER."

You don't know. Ridley was my most anticipated character, but neither of us can say "hay guise, popular means playable, rite?"

Sakurai think Ridley too unwieldy? Yeah, right. And Olimar is the simplest character in the world to program...
Sakurai is a wily, crazy old coot. Lots of game design decisions flat out fail to make sense sometimes with his mind behind it. People can call him a "master" of mind games and some kind of marketing genius, but at the end of the day there's so much to handle at once that he's just as effing clueless as anyone. He's human. He's working on resources that have a limit, no matter how limitless they may seem.

It just. Isn't. That. Simple. You don't take years of classes devoted to the idea of game design so you can crap out every character people want in a gaming frolic of perfection. So many characters intended for Melee that JUST DIDN'T MAKE IT. And even after all the delays for Brawl, how can you say it isn't rushed too, even after ALL of the delays?

Also, Starfox is a terrible franchise that doesn't sell well at all. Metroid is in the top 50 of all franchise types in the world. The rep for this roster is horrible.
Didn't Sakurai talk about expanding Star Fox simply because of the fan reaction, though? Just a thought. Sell numbers does not equal big fan base and vice versa. Think cult films before they break out into popularity. The same ideas apply.

I agree, by the way. If Mother (having only three games ever) can have to reps (both having the same role, btw)...Surely F-Zero can have two, seeing how their are like 8 games or something for the series, and there was a popular anime in Japan as well.
I'm all for more F-Zero. I wanted Samurai Goroh. Maybe a Black Shadow Falcon clone at worst.

But I'm gonna say it again, and you can even make this my catchphrase if you desire: it's freakin' hard.

This game isn't easy to make. There's already so much there if you look at it.

Sonic isn't even a Nintendo character, clamored for or not. All necessary Nintendo characters (that means bare-minimum, franchise important characters) should be in before any 3rd party character.
Says you.

The game is Super Smash Bros. Not Super Nintendo Brothers. No matter how easily that "Bros" harkens back to Super Mario Bros.

Sonic was wanted. He was the most demanded. And thus, he gets in.

The other top characters may be bosses, may have not worked as playables, or may have flat out not made the cut for copyright issues (Geno). Or maybe, Sakurai has a mind and opinion of his own and just didn't do it. BUT THIS GAME IS FOR THE FANS, RIGHT? I stopped believing hype and developer statements after Hideo Kojima said he'd stop directing MGS games...two games ago. Money is a powerful thing, and so is actual power in the developer chair.

I'm all for obscure newcomers, but...R.O.B.? There are plenty of other better obscure characters (Demiru for one, whom I kinda warmed up to). And I'm not pushing overkill for franchises, but that's already present with this supposed 35 roster. It's ill-balanced. And you speak of longevity...what better way than to make a roster that has more than 35? Include as many playables as possible. Limited yourself like that limits the longevity.
R.O.B. is responsible for bringing the Famicom stateside. He's as relevant as Mr. Game and Watch to that audience depending on your point of view.

And where exactly are you pulling this from? You are very presumptuous. Who ever said I'm complaining because I didn't get it exactly as I wanted?
It's kinda the pattern I'm seeing with everyone.

"THIS PIXEL DISPROVES THE 35 PERSON ROSTER...WHICH I DON'T LIKE BTW : ("

"HEY THAT NEW LIST DOESN'T HAVE ISAAC...SO UH...I DONT BELIEVE IT. BECAUSE I JUST DON'T."

Face it. You're human like everyone else. You don't want this roster. I'm just enough of a cold-hearted scumbag to accept it and move on.

You have no idea what I want. I'm saying this roster is ridiculous no matter who you are, no matter what standard you use for what characters should get in. The roster is not solid; there are plenty of holes in it. And I'm focusing on what I don't like because they've had enough time to make it how it should be that I have every right to complain if it's crapped up like Melee was at the end.
Melee roster sucked. This roster sucks exponentially less. End of story.

And see? This is where you're putting words in my mouth. Who said I wanted crap characters like that? Ridley, sure, but he's so obvious, any 3-year-old could recognize he should be in. The others...what the crap? Who said I wanted any of them?
I'm seeing anger. That could be an indication. Regardless of who you wanted, there's someone not on the list that anyone wanted that didn't make the cut. No one is 110% satisfied. I'm not saying you're purely complaining because so-and-so didn't make it, but it certainly makes for a factor. No one's satisfied. The natural reaction is backlash, bedlam, and boo-hooing.

And I'll say it again LIMITATIONS SUCH AS TIME AND RESOURCES ARE MOOT. The amount of time and resources, delay, money that's gone into this, etc. etc. means it should live up to EVERYONE'S expectations.
It's impossible to live up to everyone's expectations.

OMG I HOPE THEY HAVE MASTER CHIEF IN IT.

You're only looking at the roster. That time, money, etc. was probably spent on lots of amazing crap beyond the roster. Like the other 10,000 features he's focused on that isn't roster related.

This is a massive improvement from Melee, a wonderful game on its own. That is all anyone can ask for.

No, I wanted MK, D3, and Olimar. Lucario is boring to me. But why limit us to those? Why not have more unique characters? Personally, I'd rather have a roster of 30 than include characters like Ness (w/ Lucas), WW Link, Snake, Wolf, and R.O.B....
Ness was so heavily demanded after Lucas' reveal (UP UNTIL NOW LOLOL) that it seems like you'd get just as much backlash if he wasn't in.

WW Link is practically his own seperate entity. His cel-shaded style is quickly becoming as iconic of the Zelda franchise's certain games as much as, say, a fairy or the master sword itself. Whether you like it or not, everyone knows WW Link and he's a relatively famous "offshoot" of the same character. Does that mean I'd take him over, say, Midna? Nah, not really. I wanted Midna pretty bad. But if you de-clonify him and give him his own moveset, I'll bite. He's practically his own character as it is.

That is a really really silly thing to say. As I said, Brawl has had more than enough support to be everything Melee should have been and more. Sure I play Melee, but why do I want another Melee to play? If Brawl were just Melee rehashed...there'd be no sense in buying it. Just keep playing the old one.
But the roster isn't the only thing Brawl is updating, revamping, or adding. It's just all you're looking at right now.

"Oh, stop looking at the negatives!!1one"

This is my point. Not enough thought went into this roster, real or not. And personally, I believe Sakurai would do better than that, and thus I think this is fake. Thank you. Good night.
Sakurai didn't do better in Melee, though. That's the point. Melee's roster was a stinker and yet all the mouth-breathers still rub themselves all over it (and yes, I still play it, bite me ^^ ).

History just may repeat itself, roster wise. The rest of us can enjoy the wealth of new ideas, items, stages, modes, and features that are in Brawl while the hardcore crowd plays 5000 Versus Mode matches on a flat stage with 3 platforms with no items on. And they can go ahead and ignore SSE and everything else packed into it and stand completely unappreciative.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He wouldn't leave out the popular characters, or at least not all of them. Then again Sonic, Mario, and Link are in it, I would say they are popular. Don't buy too much into prophets and rumors.

Every single Star Fox game ever created has sold one million copies with the exception of Command, which is extremely close to it.

Can't exactly say the same about Metroid.

And may I add that he didn't leave out all popular characters? Or even most of them? He included most of them. Just because a handful of fan favorites fell short of making it doesn't mean that the roster doesn't have lots of popular characters in it.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
And may I add that he didn't leave out all popular characters? Or even most of them? He included most of them. Just because a handful of fan favorites fell short of making it doesn't mean that the roster doesn't have lots of popular characters in it.
More like, he squandered most of the surprises before the game was even out.

Brawl: And you thought the STARTING roster was good...

That what the fans were hoping for. Due to leakage and already known third party characters its closer to

Brawl: Unlock the Melee characters (with some adjustments) with Lucario, Wolf, and ROB tossed in for fun.

Can anyone honestly say the list of 35's unlockable characters is exciting? Melee's roster might have been stupid, but it had at least surprise value. I could probably rattle off 35 more characters right now that would have at least been fun to play, and I probably will in fury if the 35 roster should prove true.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Every single Star Fox game ever created has sold one million copies with the exception of Command, which is extremely close to it.

Can't exactly say the same about Metroid.
"Total Metroid series: more than 13 million units worldwide" This was reported last year, before MP3 for the Wii. The series had 9 games at that point. Now tell me how much you fail.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I am not satisfied, but I can't see too much strange choices being made in the roster to disprove the credibility that comes from two NeoGaf leakers and one mod risking something for vouching for it - together with all the leakers who have been credited with unveiling official information prematurely and overlapping.

It is to be believed until confirmed true or fake. I dislike it heavily but what can I do? Hopefully something before the Japanese release can get things over with.

Metroid: Zero Mission is one of the best handheld games ever made and didn't break one million copies. Metroid used to be more popular than Star Fox. It isn't anymore. Get that through your skull, okay?

volbound1700

Smash Master
The issue with Star Fox v. Metroid is that Star Fox has more characters that flow well with the Brawl Techniques while Metroid may not. They don't look at it on the basis of being fair or which series is more popular. Characters are chosen based on their compatability with Brawl.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Metroid: Zero Mission is one of the best handheld games ever made and didn't break one million copies. Metroid used to be more popular than Star Fox. It isn't anymore. Get that through your skull, okay?
Did you even freaking look at the googlefight image I posted?
More search results = more popular.
Get that through your skull, okay?
I mean, I'd see a point if it was almost tied results, but that's almost 8 times more search results.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
1. So a single REMAKE sells un-amazingly and you think the entire series fails? Newsflash: Your wrong get it through your thick and arrogant skull.

2. volbound, series representation are based of what they deserve, all Metroid characters are easily compatible with Brawl anyway.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
The issue with Star Fox v. Metroid is that Star Fox has more characters that flow well with the Brawl Techniques while Metroid may not. They don't look at it on the basis of being fair or which series is more popular. Characters are chosen based on their compatability with Brawl.
Uh...
You're saying Olimar, Game&Watch, Bowser and the frackin' Ice Climbers are compatible, but Ridley, Dark Samus and other Metroid characters are not?
Are you frackin' insane? This is Super Smash Brothers we're talking about!
If the character's original design isn't compatible with Smash, then Sakurai makes them so. Haven't you learned anything from the last installments?

Nonexistant compatibility does not get a character into Brawl; theoretically it should be how good of a representative the character is to the series.

I can understand if Star Fox gets more rep because they have more representational characters, but that in no way should restrict Metroid to only one character since she isn't the only important character to the series.

And don't give me that ZSS moveset bull****, Sheik didn't count as her own character in Melee, neither should her.

You can't use past series popularity to enforce current series popularity.

Star Fox has been much, much more popular NOW than Metroid is now.

Oh, did I also fail to mention that Metroid Prime 2 and 3 have not sold as much as Star Fox Adventures or Assault?

What don't you get that past popularity only speaks for past popularity? A series is only as popular as its last game.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Uh...
You're saying Olimar, Game&Watch, Bowser and the frackin' Ice Climbers are compatible, but Ridley, Dark Samus and other Metroid characters are not?
Are you frackin' insane? This is Super Smash Brothers we're talking about!
If the character's original design isn't compatible with Smash, then Sakurai makes them so. Haven't you learned anything from the last installments?

Nonexistant compatibility does not get a character into Brawl; theoretically it should be how good of a representative the character is to the series.

I can understand if Star Fox gets more rep because they have more representational characters, but that in no way should restrict Metroid to only one character since she isn't the only important character to the series.

And don't give me that ZSS moveset bull****, Sheik didn't count as her own character in Melee, neither should her.
So I'm imagining the three trophies Sheik got? =s

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
You guys are absurd. Starfox blows in comparison to Metroid. I have nothing else to say. I wash my hands of this. Soon, Japan will get the game, and it will all be cleared up.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
I leave for class and this is what I come back to?

Both series are great. It doesn't matter which had more representation because regardless it may have been gameplay reasons.

Metroid doesn't sell or have as much popularity in Japan as in America, last I checked. And again, the HARDCORE FANBASE TYPES differs from actual product sales. Sakurai said he was shocked by the amount of fans Star Fox had. I never said necessarily that it was more or less popular total, although I guess Snitch did.

We can bicker about this, but we'll know in less than a week anyway. All I was trying to get across was, yeah, it sucks pretty hardcore. But then it's so much better than Melee. So, so much better. And people are really ignoring some of the great non-roster stuff here.

Of course I'm disappointed.

Anyways, sorry for kinda getting snippy, Lizard and Rey. I'm operating without lunch and on five hours of sleep. But I really was anticipating people who were straight up putting their fingers in their ears going "la-la-la," but I didn't get that here, and you make valid arguments. My apologies.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Who gives a crap how good it is? It's a popular series and is more popular right now than Metroid.
I'd kinda agree...sorta. Without the venom in the words. : / It's not about which is better. I like Metroid a lot better, but we're talking about current sales. Of course the lovechild of Gunpei Yokoi from 7 years before the first Star Fox holds a greater place in most major gamers' hearts, but we're talking about the here and now.

Top Bottom