• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices?

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
I think Krystal has a very good chance, but I think Wolf is an equal contender. He's the classic badguy of Star Fox. He doesn't need to be a complete clone, and offers his place as a villain in the SSE.

Same goes for King K Rool. To be honest, I'm not expecting him, but as a villain I feel he is a contender.

Again, Ridley. This one especially so since Metroid lacks a lot of stand-out characters that could be used in Brawl. Ridley not only would fill missing shoes, but he also scored high on the poll, and he would fit perfectly as a SSE villain. Plus, being a likely heaveweight, he'd be the only one capable of gliding or flying (not in the same way as DeDeDe), giving him unique properties.

I worry that the rumored 35 roster is real. I would be dissapointed, but I'd still love most of the characters. I just feel that, from a gameplay perspective of both unique new characters and fleshing out the SSE, PLUS how high they scored on the poll, it would be very silly and pointless to see some obvious choices fail to show.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Honestly, though I hate it, I've pretty much given in to the roster. My only hope is that all of the alleged beta testers and leakers weren't shown every single character, but I doubt it.

Milos

Smash Lord
And we all know your face is fake even though we can't see it. Yeah, see where I'm going with this? THAT must be proof enough that your face is fake!

And I believe your age is fake too because of the fact that anyone can fake anything! Even though I have not seen/heard your age yet, I can somehow say your age is fake! That MUST make it fake, right!?

Uh huh, sure, keep dreaming. "Makes no sense"? Hmm... what else doesn't make sense in Smash? Oh yeah! Small puffballs sucking up and eating other players, monsters coming out of little balls, a sandbag with eyes, and a manly person with a fiery bird coming out of his arm when he punches. Yeah, of all those things everything that I said totally makes sense, amirite? No. NOTHING makes sense in Smash, including this roster.

Claiming it fake is just showing your denial for the roster if it comes true. I'm not saying it IS true, I'm saying to not blindly follow those who say it is fake just because it makes no sense. That must also mean that Smash is fake because it too makes no sense!

Also, the final roster screens are MOCK-UPS to show what the roster would look like and how it would be set-up IF IT were true. You people NEED to realize this. The roster comes from reputable people, I don't think they'd say anything or make anything up if it were to damage their reputation as people in the gaming industry.

lulz. Logic > you.
No that's not logic. Debunking the 35 character roster is different then saying my face or my age is fake. We base debunks on fact, whereas you just SAYING our faces or ages or whatever are fake is not fact. Smash not making sense in of itself is irrelevant. Your logic fails, you compare game physics to fake rosters? You are lame. FAIL.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
if the 35-roster is true:
what better way is there to make a Melee 2.0, than by adding (first and foremost) all the characters who were speculated for Melee to the entire Melee roster minus 2 (Pichu and Doc). We get Wario, Pit, Lucas, Wolf, and Snake (and I think Meta, DDD, and DiddyK were rumored hopefuls for Melee, too.) Then make some updated characters...replace Roy with Ike, and Mew2 with Lucario. "But wait...were not trying to make Melee 2.0, are we?" So, we add Sonic, Olimar, PokeTrainer, and ROB. Suddenly, this (hopefully false) roster looks more and more like Melee 2.0 plus 4...."Super Smash Bros. Melee 2.4", if you will.

and for the record, I do actually think ROB (the accessory) would be a cool addition to the cast...but I also expect to see more characters from Sakurai's own poll: Ridley, Krystal, Geno, K.Rool, Takemaru, Sukapon, Animal Crosser, Claus. at least some of them.

Revven

FrankerZ
No that's not logic. Debunking the 35 character roster is different then saying my face or my age is fake. We base debunks on fact, whereas you just SAYING our faces or ages or whatever are fake is not fact. Smash not making sense in of itself is irrelevant. Your logic fails, you compare game physics to fake rosters? You are lame. FAIL.
Ahh but there is NO fact yet, it's all just "OMGZ MAH CHRCTR IZ NAWT DAR! FAKERZ!" Or because some characters scored higher on the poll they're not in either. Then there's the whole R.O.B mess which can't be proven either because there could simply be another R.O.B model for the PC version.

It's logic because of the fact that you guys are claiming what you're saying as fact when it isn't at all. There's no visual proof that debunks this roster and until there is, I will continue to believe it as a possible roster (Note the bolded word "possible" meaning I don't 100% believe it is the FINAL roster).

Game physics =/= Characters' characteristics. I described a multitude of things that exist in Smash that make no sense, just about as much sense as having R.O.B as a PC. That's the point I was making, I was pointing out that R.O.B makes sense for Smash, but, doesn't make sense for humanity.

It's not me who fails, it's people who forget what the word "fact" means that fail.

Milos

Smash Lord
Ahh but there is NO fact yet, it's all just "OMGZ MAH CHRCTR IZ NAWT DAR! FAKERZ!" Or because some characters scored higher on the poll they're not in either. Then there's the whole R.O.B mess which can't be proven either because there could simply be another R.O.B model for the PC version.

It's logic because of the fact that you guys are claiming what you're saying as fact when it isn't at all. There's no visual proof that debunks this roster and until there is, I will continue to believe it as a possible roster (Note the bolded word "possible" meaning I don't 100% believe it is the FINAL roster).

Game physics =/= Characters' characteristics. I described a multitude of things that exist in Smash that make no sense, just about as much sense as having R.O.B as a PC. That's the point I was making, I was pointing out that R.O.B makes sense for Smash, but, doesn't make sense for humanity.

It's not me who fails, it's people who forget what the word "fact" means that fail.
No to be honest I don't really care about the roster as I've said in other topics so don't try and pull the whole "my character isn't in so I hate this roster thing on me". I care a lot more about L-Cancelling being removed. That aside, yes there is fact to debunk this roster, I am indeed to lazy to find it but it's all over these forums. The thing is, you're just clinging to this POSSIBILITY of a roster because why, it's realistic? give me a break you're a hypocrite.

Kittah4

Smash Ace

Since we only have a mockup and the word of several "important" people to back up the 35 roster, it's not like we have any hard facts FOR the roster either. Especially with NeoGAF, the situation smacks of people being in cahoots, but that's just my inner suspicion. There's people there laughing at us right now. Just seems like some elaborate prank to me.

I still say the 35 roster is fake until irrefutably proven right, but I'm prepared for it to become real.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
will people realize that the mock-up picture of the 35 roster is supposed to be fake? THAT ISN'T THE REASON WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE THE 35 ROSTER IS FAKE. thank you.

god this forum is about to have as many idiots as GameFAQs...

Kittah4

Smash Ace
will people realize that the mock-up picture of the 35 roster is supposed to be fake? THAT ISN'T THE REASON WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE THE 35 ROSTER IS FAKE. thank you.

god this forum is about to have as many idiots as GameFAQs...
Yet the mockup was put out, and it's misleading many gamers. All the mockup is "if the 35 roster is real, this is how it will go down". Yet it's not proof. So it's circulation really does more harm than good.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I understand that well but people just took one glimpse at it and said it was fake without reading a single ****ing thing.

EDIT: keep in mind that I'm not fighting for anything (I personally think it's fake anyway) but people really need to pay attention.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Its true that the character choices for the 35 roster doesn't make any sense but theres a lot of evidence to support it/

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
there is no physical evidence to support. the only thing that makes it the most credible is because it's from people who made great predictions combined with people with good reputation. that's not the same as pictures and videos.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I must say that I don't find this 35 character leak to make any sense at all. Of course it's not sure yet if it is true, but if it is, it's just too odd...

I mean most of the most popular characters would be left out, at least as far as playable character goes. I mean no Ridley, no Geno, no Krystal, no Mega Man, and so on. None of the new characters would be female (ZSS doesn't count) besides Krystal I think that Midna and Micaiah would be great choices too.

I just can't believe that he would choose Wolf over Krystal. I have nothing against Wolf, but Krystal is the far popular one, she was one of the highest in Sakurai's poll, why not include that character then? It doesn't make any sense to me... And Ridley, even if I personally doesn't want him that much in because he would feel awkward (spelling?) I still think it seems odd that he would not make it in as a pc. He was also high on Sakurai's poll, and I also think it seems strange that the Metroid franchise would not get a new Playable character (and no, ZSS doesn't count).

And then Geno, I'v read somewhere that Sakurai himself like this character because it reminds him of Pinochio (Spelling?) and he was also one of the highest on the poll. Doesn't the poll mean anything??

I don't think I need to explain myself with the other characters I mentioned. Other popular characters didn't make it too like Claus, Isaac, Bowser JR and so on, instead they have ROB which I might add feels a little like a punch in the face. Rob of all characters instead many of the most popular choices!

I just doesn't think this makes any sense at all. But if it's true, I will still buy the game, and I will enjoy it. So this isn't a "I won't buy it because my favorite characters isn't in it" thread. I just feel a little dissapointed and doesn't understand this at all.

Does anyone else think this doesn't make any sense?
The most popular character choices were Sonic, Diddy Kong, and Wario. Ridley, Geno, Mega Man, and Krystal only became the most popular character choices after the characters who were more popular than them made it into the game.

A lot of people wanted people like Diddy and Wario in Melee, and they were disappointed when they didn't make it, but less important characters did. That's just the way it is. They can't possibly create a roster that includes everyone that everybody wants. There would just be way too many characters.

If they added Ridley people would complain that they didn't add Mega man. If they added Mega Man people would complain that they didn't add Geno. If they added Geno people would complain that they didn't add Krystal. If they added all 4 of those, people would complain that they didn't add Micaiah, K. Rool, Bomberman, Claus, and Isaac. They can never please everyone. You should just be happy about what is in the game, instead of being upset over what's not in it.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Three things: 1) The 35 roster doesn't have the other most popular choices on it (from the poll), 2) It doesn't have the most unique characters on it that could be on (C'mon...Wolf, R.O.B.??), and 3) It doesn't have those characters in it that "excited" Sakurai.

It doesn't have any of the following: Ridley, Geno, Krystal, and there are more...Zero surprising characters (like a Ray01 or a Sukapon or a Demiru). It's just silly "typical" and lame at that.

In short, it's fake.

@freeman, that isn't true. I guess we'll never know regarding Wario, but with Sonic, Megaman, Krystal, Geno, Dedede, Ridley, etc. They were always all popular choices, with Dedede being at the top, following by Ridley/Geno/Ike/Diddy, then Olimar/Krystal. And you can say what you want about "oh those were just from Sakurai's poll blah blah blah," but where is your evidence that the others became popular only after the other three got in? That's ridiculous.

thejbr12

Smash Apprentice
In the Iwata Asks interview Sakurai said that he designed this game as if it were the last in the series. I doubt that he would do that and only add 10 roster spots to the previous game. That doesn't really do the possibilities of this game justice. This game can be one of the best ever and a good way to do that is to get a lot of characters in there (as long as each one has a good reason to be in, yes I'm hatin' on Waluigi and Birdo). So I don't think 35 is right and short of a dojo update or some mega-Nintendo leak it would be very hard to convince me otherwise.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Hummm, from what I see the only thing that says this is "fake" is because "it doesn't have my fav chars. . .ya know, the ones I have been assuming to be in over the past 2 years with only a web journal Sakurai made and [add source]" and the who R.O.B thing. :ohwell:

But what do we have saying it's right? One member who made predictions (or should I say leaks?) about EVERYTHING from Sonic to Olimar's attacks to Ness returning to the delay and has yet to be wrong. We have 3 people from the NeoGaF who each has leaked BIG things about games (2 leak fighting game stuff and one leaked info on a game that made by Snake's devs) and they all say the same thing about the 35 character roster. Even a Neo-Mod backed one of them up before returning to say the guy was telling the truth.
And now with this vid we have what looks to be the exact same screen foremat as one of them perdicted among other things.

So yea, I believe the 35 character roster is real. Why would he ignore fan favs? Maybe he has more tricks up his sleeve than we know? Maybe he wanted to change some vets soo much that they became something along the lines of new characters. Hell, something gives me a odd feeling that he might pull a Ness/ Zelda on Falco/ Wolf and have one of them use the staff to be more unique. (Why not add her in that case? IDK but the same thing has happened before when there wasn't enuff to make a character unique.)

Sakurai is a odd man and there are many things we would never understand about him and his choices. Maybe he will shed some light on this once the game is released and he shows the secret characters. Maybe he will explain why he chose Wolf Over Krystal. Maybe thats part of the GDC thing he is doing. We don't know. .. .but this roster is starting to look more and more sir tight to me.

Poel

Smash Cadet
The evidence against the roster is the sketchy and questionable video footage (see other threads deconstructing it) and the simple fact that if the game had truly been leaked into someone's hands by now, we'd have more screens, more vids, and more info. It would be big with lots of data, not this little one screenshot, non-game shot video load.

Zek

Smash Ace
This is completely ridiculous. Last I checked, Sakurai did not ignore the most popular character choices. He added almost all of them, and announced them months ago, remember?

5@/\/\U5

Smash Apprentice
there is tons of crediblity to the 35 man roster, but why would he not add a single new female playable character?!

just doesn't seem right to me

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hummm, from what I see the only thing that says this is "fake" is because "it doesn't have my fav chars. . .ya know, the ones I have been assuming to be in over the past 2 years with only a web journal Sakurai made and [add source]" and the who R.O.B thing. :ohwell:

But what do we have saying it's right? One member who made predictions (or should I say leaks?) about EVERYTHING from Sonic to Olimar's attacks to Ness returning to the delay and has yet to be wrong. We have 3 people from the NeoGaF who each has leaked BIG things about games (2 leak fighting game stuff and one leaked info on a game that made by Snake's devs) and they all say the same thing about the 35 character roster. Even a Neo-Mod backed one of them up before returning to say the guy was telling the truth.
And now with this vid we have what looks to be the exact same screen foremat as one of them perdicted among other things.

So yea, I believe the 35 character roster is real. Why would he ignore fan favs? Maybe he has more tricks up his sleeve than we know? Maybe he wanted to change some vets soo much that they became something along the lines of new characters. Hell, something gives me a odd feeling that he might pull a Ness/ Zelda on Falco/ Wolf and have one of them use the staff to be more unique. (Why not add her in that case? IDK but the same thing has happened before when there wasn't enuff to make a character unique.)

Sakurai is a odd man and there are many things we would never understand about him and his choices. Maybe he will shed some light on this once the game is released and he shows the secret characters. Maybe he will explain why he chose Wolf Over Krystal. Maybe thats part of the GDC thing he is doing. We don't know. .. .but this roster is starting to look more and more sir tight to me.

NOt really I have my doubts still, not because any of my favorite characters are missing. Just beacuse they have no proof other than other "leaks." Well, Rapscouter leaked Diamond and Pearl but yet he is lying through his teeth on everything he is saying, and he had "credibility" so sorry do not buy the whole leaked stuff before argument.

Also, it was not until ShadowXOR started bringing up R.O.B until all these people started mentioning him, so therefore I find this to be rather suspicious. Not to mention as far a NyaseNya goes I find him to be a liar, I have my own reasons and somewhat evidence for this. Anyways I will know on the 31st. :\

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
In the Iwata Asks interview Sakurai said that he designed this game as if it were the last in the series. I doubt that he would do that and only add 10 roster spots to the previous game. That doesn't really do the possibilities of this game justice. This game can be one of the best ever and a good way to do that is to get a lot of characters in there (as long as each one has a good reason to be in, yes I'm hatin' on Waluigi and Birdo). So I don't think 35 is right and short of a dojo update or some mega-Nintendo leak it would be very hard to convince me otherwise.
I agree on that one.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I only have one thing to quote from Sakurai...may not be exact, but:

"Adding only popular characters doesn't excite me."

Get over it. If Ridley or Krystal or whoever didn't get in, so be it. Just because your favourite character didn't make it, doesn't mean the roster is poor or the game is going to suck. And for those of you who say Krystal would have more of a unique moveset because she has a staff...how in the world do you know how Wolf is going to play?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
There are multiple ways to take that.

Sakurai said:
I felt that a large premise of the project was that this was not a series that would continue indefinitely. After all, it wasn’t possible to keep on increasing the characters that are entitled to take the field in Smash Bros. And even if you try to utilize new familiar characters that resonate with the fans, you can’t get each and every gamer to be happy. Just like its predecessor then, we decided to design the game as if it was the last one in the series.
1. They couldn't just keep adding characters, that will not add replay value. It's the rest of the game that will keep people busy for years upon years.

2. He knows that Smash Bros cannot go on forever and future games will not be able to keep adding characters, if there are future games. So, he wants to load this one up as much as he can.

He admits he can't make everyone happy, but he could at least try, and I think it's safe to say he would... but who knows.

Black/Light

Smash Master
@ black/light

most of the picture look fake: ganon, wolf, jiggly puff, ww link... and you only see zelda (in the vid you saw zelda an sheik on the same pic)
. .. THATS A MOCK UP! Some one made that to go with what one of the leakers where calling the order of the characters.:ohwell:

Nasir

Smash Apprentice

1. They couldn't just keep adding characters, that will not add replay value. It's the rest of the game that will keep people busy for years upon years.

2. He knows that Smash Bros cannot go on forever and future games will not be able to keep adding characters, if there are future games. So, he wants to load this one up as much as he can.

He admits he can't make everyone happy, but he could at least try, and I think it's safe to say he would... but who knows.
It's true he can't make everyone happy, but that doesn't explain why he would put ROB in it. Cause' that makes noone happy...

Black/Light

Smash Master
NOt really I have my doubts still, not because any of my favorite characters are missing. Just beacuse they have no proof other than other "leaks." Well, Rapscouter leaked Diamond and Pearl but yet he is lying through his teeth on everything he is saying, and he had "credibility" so sorry do not buy the whole leaked stuff before argument.

Also, it was not until ShadowXOR started bringing up R.O.B until all these people started mentioning him, so therefore I find this to be rather suspicious. Not to mention as far a NyaseNya goes I find him to be a liar, I have my own reasons and somewhat evidence for this. Anyways I will know on the 31st. :\
Rap, only one person calmed Rap leaked DP. That was the guy who "thought" that he was the same guy and reported him to the Rumor thread. Rap never said he leaked jack about the game and no one else on the GS Pokemon forums recalled him doing soo. BUUT, than we have Serebii who also said Lucario was in and Mew2 was out and he is a proven Pokemon leaker who has been added to CB's leaker list.

And no, people where not just randomly bringing ROB up, CB had kept track of evething all the proven reliable people where saying and made the roster from that and once ShadowOR completed it it was shared with other forums. Thats when the Neo Leakers confirmed it after Marked Man said there where 35 chars and 41 stages. NO ONE ever just out right said ROB was in till ShadoWOR completed the list of what the most reliable people where saying.

Even the famous SurferGirl is saying 35-40.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
Three things: 1) The 35 roster doesn't have the other most popular choices on it (from the poll), 2) It doesn't have the most unique characters on it that could be on (C'mon...Wolf, R.O.B.??), and 3) It doesn't have those characters in it that "excited" Sakurai.

It doesn't have any of the following: Ridley, Geno, Krystal, and there are more...Zero surprising characters (like a Ray01 or a Sukapon or a Demiru). It's just silly "typical" and lame at that.

In short, it's fake.

@freeman, that isn't true. I guess we'll never know regarding Wario, but with Sonic, Megaman, Krystal, Geno, Dedede, Ridley, etc. They were always all popular choices, with Dedede being at the top, following by Ridley/Geno/Ike/Diddy, then Olimar/Krystal. And you can say what you want about "oh those were just from Sakurai's poll blah blah blah," but where is your evidence that the others became popular only after the other three got in? That's ridiculous.

I made this thread for you: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=138644

Anyways, The ROB that's supposed to be on the list is supposedly ROB64 from the Star Fox series. ROB64 is also in essence R.O.B. the accessory for NES. He was a throw back to it. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually in. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole 35 roster rumor was true. Though with that smaller than expected roster I expect an awesome SSE and some god ****ed balanced multiplayer. Though I might be setting myself up for disappointment there.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
Since we only have a mockup and the word of several "important" people to back up the 35 roster, it's not like we have any hard facts FOR the roster either. Especially with NeoGAF, the situation smacks of people being in cahoots, but that's just my inner suspicion. There's people there laughing at us right now. Just seems like some elaborate prank to me.
I still say the 35 roster is fake until irrefutably proven right, but I'm prepared for it to become real.
I haven't posted here in awhile, but this is where I'd like to jump in. I'm not sure where this started, but there's now a wave of people painting guys like Reno and MarkMan as the devil. The mentality here is that if your favorite character didn't make the roster (nevermind that some of your other favorite characters probably did) then the guys who leaked the roster must have done it so they can point and laugh at you.

Never mind the sheer audacity of this being some sort of internet wide conspiracy, when multiple independant sources have provided evidance that contributed to this roster (The ONLY reason Mark and Reno were able to confirm the 35 roster is because the information had already been leaked). The assault on these guys' character when you've clearly never read any of their posts is appalling. Reno has an approx. 10 year history posting at GAF. Not only is he an informative and well behaved poster who's been known to keep cool in even the most heated arguements, but he's also developed a respectable reputation as the go to guy on ANYTHING fighting game related. Note that he has the tag "I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!". Getting a tag is very hard on GAF, and most of the folks who do earn tags, get them for something embarassing. Reno's, however, is good.

So, maybe he's in on this with the mods or something? I doubt it. Not only has he been told false leaks will result in a permaban (throwing away a 10 year history to rile up smashboards would be questionable) but he's also a fan of Smash Bros! GAF's fighter fans are notoriously hostile to the kiddypartymascot game which masquerades as a "real" fighter. Yet Reno, GAF's foremost expert on the genre, defends the game and its fans from that sort of ignorance. Why? because he respects the game's design and what it means for fighters as a whole! And he respects the fans who have recognized this! What reason would he have to throw these same people for a loop?

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land

*slowly starts clapping*

Best answer in this thread.:)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Grrr, I don't want to believe the 35 roster leak, but most evidence is pointing towards it unfortunately. If ROB is in though, I am so maining him!

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I really like R.O.B. and I think it's an interesting inclusion. A piece of gaming HARDWARE as a playable character in Brawl? LULZ! WTFBBQ!? Anyway- In my opinion, R.O.B. is not the problem of this roster.

I'm upset at the overabundance of star fox characters in this roster, and the absence of the most popular character choices. I would've prefered to have been given Fox (and Krystal I suppose), and then get Ridley and Geno too. This would've made everyone on smashboards hold hands and be a happy place, and nobody would be gunning for Sakurai :p

What doesn't make sense to me is that the hidden characters are mostly veterans. C. F., Luigi, Jiggs, Ness, Ganondorf, Marth, Young Link, G&W, and Falco...? Oh wow...I'm not surprised...

And the only unlockables are Snake, Sonic (which we knew about), Lucario, Wolf, and ROB.

If anything, why are all our newcomers in the starting roster if there aren't any surprises in the hidden characters? This doesn't add up. Melee's unlockables were ALL newcomers (Except for Luigi and Jiggs)

Blech.

brawl.admin

Smash Rookie
But lets say this roster was real (I know it's not). Then Sakurai would have made a roster that is both lacking in females and 3rd party characters. I mean just Snake and Sonic? I thought they were going to announce two more?

Top Bottom